logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Vehicle & Technical Chat

4x4Community

Vehicle & Technical Chat Only on topic posts allowed, all off topic posts will be removed.
Off topic posts to be restricted to General Chat.

Old 07-07-09, 09:35 AM

Question Ford Ranger or Toyota Hilux?

We're hiring a vehicle for a trip in Oct to Chobe and Hwange and need to make a choice between a Ford Ranger or Toyota Hilux, both double cabs and both 3 liter diesels (I think...)

Anyone have any recommendations regarding best comfort (I'm 6'4"), sand ability and fuel consumption? Or are they pretty much the same?

thanks
Old 07-07-09, 09:38 AM

I'd go for the Hilux. Very capable in the sand, +- 10 km/l on road.
Old 07-07-09, 09:41 AM

I think alot of people will be biased and say Toyota.
I have a 2001 3.0 KZTE 4X2 DC with diff lock and its not a bad vehicle at all.
Never done anything too hectic in it though, but rather comfortable for what it is. Fuel consumption pretty average. Better than my 2.7 Terrano I must add.
Just my 2cw.
Old 07-07-09, 09:54 AM
Commercial Member

For comfort, most definitely the Ford Ranger if you want any kidneys left after the trip...

iStudioAfrica
Nature Photography Courses by Hennie Lacock

Getting you away from that darn Auto mode and engaging your photography Low Range!
We teach you to Capture Nature: Wildlife / Landscape / Astro Photography / Timelapse / Star Trails / HDR

Course Overview, Dates and Contact Details
Like our Facebook Page
iStudioAfrica
Old 07-07-09, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortiis View Post
I think alot of people will be biased and say Toyota.
I
I suppose you are right. But maybe because Toyota has a proven track record? I have never owned a Toyota, so I don't see myself in that category

Anyway, I've seen the Hilux D4D (and driven), on multiple occasions, at multiple tracks, by multiple drivers in the sand, and I was impressed. On more than one occasion the Hilux could go where only one or 2 other vehicles in a group of +- 10 vehicles could go. I thus base my opinion on my own personal experience.

I have, however, never seen a Ranger in the sand, and if I have, I'd have to regretfully admit that it didn't impress me enough to remember...
Old 07-07-09, 10:08 AM

I have never driven the Ranger. Nearly bought one when I was looking at the Terrano, but heard better reviews on the Terrano so went for that without even test driving the ranger.
Still think the Hilux is the better option.
Old 07-07-09, 11:17 AM

You'll win with both. I've driven both of them (3.0 KZTE and 2.5 XLT) on and off-road and both are impressively capable, fuel efficient and comfortable.

I did find the Hilux had more interior space (even with both being double-cabs) and the seats are fuller. However the Hilux ride is harder. The 3.0 diesel is very sweet and works very well offroad.

The Ranger XLT is fantastic in sand - extremely capable. The on-road ride is more comfortable than the Hilux and fuel economy is at least on the same level.

In short, I don't think you'll go wrong with either...

One advantage that the Ranger has over the Hilux is the remote freewheel hubs, which means not having to manually lock and unlock the front hubs for offroad work. Both have electronic rear lockers... so again, much of a muchness.

1996 Disco V8i \ K&N Hyperformance Filter \ Unichip \ SAC Freeflow exhaust system \ Ironman Suspension
in a previous life, 1973 2.25l Series III SWB Landy - "Striptease" and 1969 2.25l Series IIA SWB Landy - "Lazarus". ITC Parabolic suspension \ Monroe Gas Magnum 4x4 shocks \ SAC freeflow exhaust system.

Old 07-07-09, 12:06 PM

I don't think you can go wrong with either. The Toyota is far more spacious. That new 3L Ranger diesel engine is the pick of the bunch when it comes to performance, that is my opinion.
Old 07-07-09, 12:15 PM

Plenty of accolades for the new 3L TDi Ranger. This would be MY choice. Yet, YOU will have to drive it. Pick the one you like and then drive it.
Old 08-07-09, 02:06 PM

I think both are very capable, I have seen the Ranger on rocks and in sand. The only little issue with the Ranger is the intercooler that sits low and in the front. This is good and bad, good if you are going slow, bad if you hit a bit of a steep bump etc.

Old 08-07-09, 02:13 PM

The (new) hilux is substantially more spacious inside. Especially the rear seats are a lot more comfortable than the Ranger's. Loaded up it is firm, not kidney-jarringly-stiff.

There's a reason why so many are biased/prejudiced towards toyota - it's really a good vehicle. Always has been.

Last edited by AJR; 08-07-09 at 02:17 PM.