logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Vehicle & Technical Chat > Toyota

4x4Community

Toyota Lead the way!

Old 02-03-09, 02:36 PM

Question Fortuner shock absorbers which replacement brand?

Hi Guys, i have decided to replace the shocks on my 2008 3.0d4d 4x4 Fortuner, for safety reasons. Please can i ask for advice on which brand to fit? OME would be first choice however Ironman, Koni, XJS, all appear to be good brands. Only want to do the shocks at this stage mainly due to cost and the fact that i do not want to raise the vehicle.
After the shocks have been replaced will wheel alighnment be nessesary?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Can't get over the fact of having to spend 8 to 10K on a new vehicles suspension, then again i'll then have a great vehicle with 'decent' shocks! not the rubbish the factory fit!

Last edited by alchar; 02-03-09 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-03-09, 02:39 PM
Commercial Member: Stofpad Products

I fitted rear OME's yesterday - got them second hand from a member with 2500 km's on them. Made a big difference, specially when serving to avoid something. Standard length, no lift, with standard coils! Can recommend it. No need to do the front.

uys@stofpad4x4.co.za
www.stofpad4x4.co.za

Why you need Stofpad4x4 Rock sliders

Office: 012 654 7723 (sales)
Cell phone: 083 399 2046 (technical)

Old 02-03-09, 03:01 PM

Default Which Shocks

Hi Guys

You will be surprised at the differents the front shocks make when replaced, the body stability changes totally and you will have a vehicle
that has very little body roll than previously.

I have replaced my shocks with OME's and can recommend them.

Regards
Old 02-03-09, 03:08 PM

I don't disagree with you Stoney, I can imagine that it makes a big difference! I am merly say that if you are on a budget, you only need to replace the rear to prevent gatswaai!

But I see your point.....

uys@stofpad4x4.co.za
www.stofpad4x4.co.za

Old 02-03-09, 03:19 PM

Quote:
No !

But if you lift it -- YES -- your camber changes with a lift of an IFS vehicle

Last edited by JAS; 02-03-09 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-03-09, 02:25 PM

I'll go with XJS as they get supplied with a 3year guarentee. The Ausies makes them good!
Old 03-03-09, 02:43 PM

Thx for all the advice/imput guy's, no LA Sport here in DBN, OME more readly available here, Safari Centre going to supply and fit OME's for me.
Old 03-03-09, 04:31 PM

You only need the rear shocks to make the Fortuner safe. Ome's back Shocks fitted will set you back R2360 incl. Vat. We fitted numerous of these and can say it is the remedy for all the fuss.
Old 03-03-09, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlux View Post
You only need the rear shocks to make the Fortuner safe. Ome's back Shocks fitted will set you back R2360 incl. Vat. We fitted numerous of these and can say it is the remedy for all the fuss.
Where are you guys situated.

I would like to get mine done as well.
Old 04-03-09, 10:06 AM

Good Day Hendrik,

We in Pretoria Hendrik, I hope I can still help you.

Regards,
Louis
Old 04-03-09, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornel Prinsloo View Post
I'll go with XJS as they get supplied with a 3year guarentee. The Ausies makes them good!
No use if they pack up within the 3 year period and they are waiting for stock and you desperately need them. Now on Kubus's which are a bit softer. At the rear the OME's are almost 7 years in use.
Old 05-03-09, 03:35 PM

A few things...

1. XJS / Kubu dont make shocks for Tuna, you maybe able to replace with Cruiser/ Hilux, derivates if you insist on either one of those brands. Incidently, that is what Koni and Bilstein are doing.
2. Doing just the back is fine, but the combination of all 4 will be far better.
3. Nothing wrong with OME

The reassurance of having a safe vehicle far outweighs the cost.

Regards,

Leon
Old 09-03-09, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS View Post
No !

But if you lift it -- YES -- your camber changes with a lift of an IFS vehicle
If the coil-over-shock struts are changed on the Fortuner's front suspension, the suspension has to be partially disassembled, do it probably is a good idea to have the alignment done if the front shocks are changed, even if the suspension is not lifted.

Old 11-03-09, 07:43 AM

For your information Monroe heavy duty gas shocks are also widely available for the Fortuner at very competitive rates.
It is unnecessary to do the rear wheel alignment after fitting new shocks, but it is recomended for the front spring-pan units - this goes for standard suspension and raised set-ups.
Phil
Old 11-03-09, 08:07 AM

deleted

Last edited by alchar; 11-03-09 at 10:51 AM. Reason: re-posted
Old 11-03-09, 09:57 AM

[php]
For your information Monroe heavy duty gas shocks are also widely available for the Fortuner at very competitive rates.

[/php]

Monroe man, how does Montoe compare with OME/Ironman/Koni? I thought that Monroe is the OEM supplier for the Fortuner, if this is the case I would be hesitant to replace?

Last edited by Biscut; 11-03-09 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-03-09, 10:05 AM

deleted

Last edited by Biscut; 11-03-09 at 11:42 AM. Reason: duplicate
Old 16-03-09, 08:59 AM

Hi, try Camil Suspensin, much cheaper, locally manufactured. Between all our vehicles of our friends and family (Landcruiser 70'sr, Hilx, Fortuner and Colt), we all fit Camil. The fortuner is +- R8000.00 for front and rear shocks and coil springs. The rear suspension is also a coil over Shock and fully adjustable, and increases the load capacity and improves the road handling, go on their website, www.camilsuspensions.co.za, all their contact details is on there, speak to Piet Weideman.

Last edited by Clarence; 16-03-09 at 09:08 AM.
Old 18-03-09, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchar View Post
Hi Guys, i have decided to replace the shocks on my 2008 3.0d4d 4x4 Fortuner, for safety reasons. Please can i ask for advice on which brand to fit? OME would be first choice however Ironman, Koni, XJS, all appear to be good brands. Only want to do the shocks at this stage mainly due to cost and the fact that i do not want to raise the vehicle.
Can't get over the fact of having to spend 8 to 10K on a new vehicles suspension, then again i'll then have a great vehicle with 'decent' shocks! not the rubbish the factory fit!
Alchar please let us know what you decide on fitting. I am in the same boat wanting to go the Koni way but gosh its crazy to spend that for a 6 month old vehicle!!!

PS. Also not wanting to lift!

Last edited by SpeedyZX; 18-03-09 at 07:07 AM.
Old 18-03-09, 08:06 AM

Hi Speedy, i have just gone through a very stressfull and frustrating time the last few days after having OME shocks fitted (by an acclaimed quality fitment centre). Firstly i experienced greater vehicle instability, after 2 return visits to the F.Centre it was found that the left front shoch was fitted 'back to Front' i.e. the coil over springs were working away from each other and not together! After having the front shocks taken out and refitted 3 times, they now look like they come out of WW2, my suspension taken apart 3 times, you can imangine how stressd i am at this stage as i am quite particular with my vehicle. Any way after all this i still have a 'see saw' motion in my FT ,and very unhappy at the moment. OME's appear to be too soft.
My advice, go with Koni, if i had the money i would change right now.
Camil will give you a lift and enable you to load more, bear in mind the extra load will be on the shock mounts and not nessesary on the coil spring where it should be.

Last edited by alchar; 18-03-09 at 08:09 AM.
Old 18-03-09, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Hi Speedy, i have just gone through a very stressfull and frustrating time the last few days after having OME shocks fitted (by an acclaimed quality fitment centre). Firstly i experienced greater vehicle instability, after 2 return visits to the F.Centre it was found that the left front shoch was fitted 'back to Front' i.e. the coil over springs were working away from each other and not together! After having the front shocks taken out and refitted 3 times, they now look like they come out of WW2, my suspension taken apart 3 times, you can imangine how stressd i am at this stage as i am quite particular with my vehicle. Any way after all this i still have a 'see saw' motion in my FT ,and very unhappy at the moment. OME's appear to be too soft.
My advice, go with Koni, if i had the money i would change right now.
Camil will give you a lift and enable you to load more, bear in mind the extra load will be on the shock mounts and not nessesary on the coil spring where it should be.
I would freak out if it happened to me!

I am full of crap when it comes to my cars and being a ex Toyota techie many years ago doesn't make it easier. Even the thought of having it serviced in 3000km scares me.

I cannot believe the level of fitment centres in SA.

I will most definitely then look at the Koni`s as the guy there Steve seems very clued up....

Thanks for the info and good luck, let us know how it goes.....
Old 18-03-09, 09:59 AM

Default New affordable shocks

Hi All,

I (as I assume many of you) have followed this debacle for a couple of months now, and although I am one of the "lucky" ones that do not appear to have a problem decided to go the preventative route and replace.

So what to replace with? OME and KONI's are in the region of R 7 000 and up, Ironman comes in at +- R 5 000. This is for shocks only as I do not want to lift the vehicle. Monroe man then suggested Monroes. I contacted Monroe and confirmed that the new shock (it has only been in the market for a couple of months) is not the same as the originals (OEM). They are of the heavy-duty variety called “Gas Magnum”. Took the plunge and bought 4 (front and rear) and fitted.

I am extremely pleased with the shocks, they are bigger (diameter) than the originals/ gas filled and comes in a sunshine yellow colour (similar to OME).

When I fitted, I was surprised at the state of the old shocks. I have done 45 000 km's and granted a fair bit off-road but expected the shocks to be OK? The old shocks (all four) hardly travelled back to their extended position when compressed where the new shocks require a fair bit of effort to compress and keep compressed.

I bought the shocks at Autozone and fitted at a local Speedy. Should you go the same route, specifically ask for Monroe M8066 (front shocks) and M8067 (rear). These shocks have been specifically made for the Fortuners. Hiluxes uses a different type. Total costs:

Front shocks: R 595 (for two)
Rear shocks R 840 (for two)
Fitment R 550
Total R 1 985

I am not comparing these shocks to the other brands, but in light of the credit crunch am very pleased with the initial results.
Old 18-03-09, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscut View Post
Hi All,

I (as I assume many of you) have followed this debacle for a couple of months now, and although I am one of the "lucky" ones that do not appear to have a problem decided to go the preventative route and replace.

So what to replace with? OME and KONI's are in the region of R 7 000 and up, Ironman comes in at +- R 5 000. This is for shocks only as I do not want to lift the vehicle. Monroe man then suggested Monroes. I contacted Monroe and confirmed that the new shock (it has only been in the market for a couple of months) is not the same as the originals (OEM). They are of the heavy-duty variety called “Gas Magnum”. Took the plunge and bought 4 (front and rear) and fitted.

I am extremely pleased with the shocks, they are bigger (diameter) than the originals/ gas filled and comes in a sunshine yellow colour (similar to OME).

When I fitted, I was surprised at the state of the old shocks. I have done 45 000 km's and granted a fair bit off-road but expected the shocks to be OK? The old shocks (all four) hardly travelled back to their extended position when compressed where the new shocks require a fair bit of effort to compress and keep compressed.

I bought the shocks at Autozone and fitted at a local Speedy. Should you go the same route, specifically ask for Monroe M8066 (front shocks) and M8067 (rear). These shocks have been specifically made for the Fortuners. Hiluxes uses a different type. Total costs:

Front shocks: R 595 (for two)
Rear shocks R 840 (for two)
Fitment R 550
Total R 1 985

I am not comparing these shocks to the other brands, but in light of the credit crunch am very pleased with the initial results.
I shouldn't really be saying this but I have heard from an insider that some of the Toyota dealers are doing this as well. Just don't know who pays for this.

What difference has this made to the handling/driving of the vehicle?
Old 18-03-09, 11:04 AM

Hi SpeegyZX

I have not had an opportunity to try out the new shocks off road, but on tar she does feel stiffer and more responsive. This is judgemental and I cannot back it up with any scientific proof though. I am going to Mozambique in April where I should get the opportunity to try it out more extensively

Regards,
Old 18-03-09, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Hi SpeegyZX

I have not had an opportunity to try out the new shocks off road, but on tar she does feel stiffer and more responsive. This is judgemental and I cannot back it up with any scientific proof though. I am going to Mozambique in April where I should get the opportunity to try it out more extensively

Regards,
Sounds good, so you don't have that "wondering" effect on road?

My Fortuner does about 20% off road so if it feels better on tar its already a plus. Phoned a few places and they only stock Gabriel.
Old 18-03-09, 11:53 AM

No wondering effect felt.

If you phone around ask specifically for Monroe M8066/7. The suppliers are not aware of the new shocks. I believe that Monroe has only very recently sent out their 2009 catalogue which specifies these shocks. Give Autozone a try, they "shipped" the front shocks from their Bloemfontein branch for me.

Last edited by Biscut; 18-03-09 at 11:56 AM.
Old 18-03-09, 11:56 AM

Quote:
If you phone around ask specifically for Monroe M8066/7. The suppliers are not aware of the new shocks. I believe that Monroe has only very recently sent out their 2009 catalogue which specifies these shocks. Give Autozone a try, they "shipped" the front shocks from their Bloemfontein branch for me.
Thanks Biscut went to their website and got the distributor list.

Called my local Midas and they can get it for me at R825 incl for the fronts and R540 incl for the rears. See you paid more for the rears than the fronts??
Old 18-03-09, 12:01 PM

Hi SpeedyZX

Sorry, stuffed it up. The rear shocks were R 595 and front were R 840. I would reccomend changing both. Initially I only replaced the rear but when I saw the state of the old shocks I did the front as well and definitaley made a big difference.

Last edited by Biscut; 18-03-09 at 12:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 18-03-09, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Hi SpeedyZX

Sorry, stuffed it up. The rear shocks were R 595 and front were R 840. I would reccomend changing both. Initially I only replaced the rear but when I saw the state of the old shocks I did the front as well and definitaley made a big difference.
I was a bit hesitant as mine has only done 7000km, I guess its worth doing both, think I would rather do it myself and get Tiger to do the alignment.
Old 18-03-09, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Hi All,

They are of the heavy-duty variety called “Gas Magnum”. Took the plunge and bought 4 (front and rear) and fitted.

This is very good news for Tuna owners, and I can tell you there is nothing wrong with Monroes, had them on my Landy for many km's, and at that price it is a steal compared to Koni/ Bilstein or OME.

Regards,
Old 19-03-09, 08:58 PM

Biscut, are you not concerned about the warranty implications by fitting these shocks?
Old 20-03-09, 10:25 AM

Speedy, I am not concerned. The implications re warranty only affects items that could potentially be impacted by the non OEM change. I.e. changing the shocks has no implication on the warranty of the engine as an example. As I see it I am "at risk" re the coils and other parts directly linked to the suspension.
Old 20-03-09, 10:28 AM

I had this debate with Toyota customer care a few weeks back and they didn't want to listen to my argument. I mean what influence does shocks have on engine failure for example!!
Old 20-03-09, 03:31 PM

I hope Toyota do not have a warranty issue withh the replaced shocks, I mean it is a replacement, especially if you fit the Monroe's that they use in any case. Biscut used the same brand, just a new type. I agree, shocks have nothing to do with the electrical system. I all, the warranty was not implicated by modifying the shockmounts or any other feauture of the Fortuner.

What happens if Monroe do not make the OE ones and only have the new ones?
Old 03-04-09, 03:42 PM

Biscut. Any feedback/update on the Monroe shocks you fitted to your Fortuner?
Old 06-04-09, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twaksak View Post
Biscut. Any feedback/update on the Monroe shocks you fitted to your Fortuner?
Hi All and greetings from Mozambique. The shocks (and vehicle for that matter) are performing great. Moz is a superb place to test shocks on and so far she is clinging like mucous in a wool blanket! As I have stated on numerous occasions I have never experienced gatswaai on my vehicle but comparative to how she behaved there is a definite improvement.
Old 27-04-09, 08:33 PM

Default Monroe gas magnums for fortuner

Hi, Has anyone that was having a handling problem with their Fortuner tried the Monroe Gas Magnums
Old 11-05-09, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Hi All and greetings from Mozambique. The shocks (and vehicle for that matter) are performing great. Moz is a superb place to test shocks on and so far she is clinging like mucous in a wool blanket! As I have stated on numerous occasions I have never experienced gatswaai on my vehicle but comparative to how she behaved there is a definite improvement.
Biscut any further feedback regarding the shocks?
Old 11-05-09, 08:42 AM

I had Camil (http://www.camilsuspensions.co.za/) installed at the end of last year. We subsequently went to Namibia in December, and yesterday got back from Lesotho. I am absolutely happy, not once did I have a problem. This made for a very nice change from my previously very unstable Fortuner. I would definitely recommend Camil.

4.0l Petrol Fortuner.

Old 11-05-09, 02:49 PM

HI All,

Feedback on the shocks to date is that I am most impressed with the ride and handling. I believe for the price it is the best spend on the vehicle to date (I have spent on seat covers, 2nd battery, Engel fride, roller drawers and HID lights). As mentioned before, the previous shocks were shot (no compression) at a reasonably young age (45 000 km's).

I would like the oppurtunity to maybe suggest another get together (maybe even at the same terain as last time) to do comparissons again. I would just like to be able to do the same strech of road with different vehicles with different modifications; OEM, camil, OME and monroe? What say you?
Old 11-05-09, 03:55 PM

Quote:
HI All,

Feedback on the shocks to date is that I am most impressed with the ride and handling. I believe for the price it is the best spend on the vehicle to date (I have spent on seat covers, 2nd battery, Engel fride, roller drawers and HID lights). As mentioned before, the previous shocks were shot (no compression) at a reasonably young age (45 000 km's).

I would like the oppurtunity to maybe suggest another get together (maybe even at the same terain as last time) to do comparissons again. I would just like to be able to do the same strech of road with different vehicles with different modifications; OEM, camil, OME and monroe? What say you?
Sounds good to me, I still have the OEM shocks on. But think its time to change soon. Did the 10 000km service a few weeks ago and was shocked to see how many 4 x 4`s went in with non approved accessories.
Old 14-05-09, 01:57 PM

Hey guys my old man bullied his local dealership into fitting monroe shocks on rear of his 2008 d4d 4x4 fortuner handling much improved.
Old 01-09-09, 01:21 AM

Any more feedback on the monroes?

At the price, they are very tempting.

Some people even seem to think the OME are Monroes ...

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/...d_Monroes.aspx

http://stilbaaiminer.blogspot.com/

Old 01-09-09, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigb View Post

I had a chat the other day with Louis (4x4megaworld menlyn) and he confirmed that although the OME and Monroes are manufactured in the same factory they are completely different (valving systems etc.)
Old 01-09-09, 07:09 AM

Anyone have a pic of what the standard rear shocks look like?

They replaced mine the other day and I am sure they are different.
Old 01-09-09, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigb View Post

Biscut fitted Monroes - see earlier in this fred.

uys@stofpad4x4.co.za
www.stofpad4x4.co.za

Old 01-09-09, 11:42 AM

Thanks Uys,

Saw that one, but was wondering if he had an even mor recent update

I am torn between the OME and the Monroes at the moment. The price on the Monroe plus good feedback on some Aus sites are making it a very tempting option at the moment.

Old 01-09-09, 02:12 PM

Craig are you considering the normal OME shock or the OME sport? If you going to go the OME way.

Current Disco 4 SE
Fortuner STOLEN
New Facelift Toyota Fortuner 4x4 3.0 4D4 2009, Takla seatcovers, BF Goodrich, Dual Battery, Towbar
OME sport shocks and springs, RV bumper with Tumor winch, Bronco rock sliders, Snorkel, Parrot Ipod and bluetooth kit and some African dust.
Land Rover Defender 1999

Old 01-09-09, 04:20 PM
Shaper

Quote:
Hi there

I believe that the XGS (NOT XJS) is the best value for money.
there is no other shock absorber that gives you the ride and qaulity that you whant. And you need to do your wheel alignment when there was work done to it, reason is you pay a lot of money for your tyres why wasted them over R 195.00 for wheel alignment. Do it because you do not know what the fitment centre has loosen on your vehicle.
I hope that this helps i know it is a bit late but rader late than never.
Old 01-09-09, 05:38 PM

If I go OME, I'll do the nitro sport - the price difference is marginal.