logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Vehicle & Technical Chat > Ford & Mazda

4x4Community

Ford & Mazda Combined forum for Ford and Mazda

Old 17-11-08, 02:46 PM

Cool Super/Club Cab

Hi,

First post and not sure where to post (admin, please move if necessary).

I currently drive a single cab Toyota 3.0 D4D. I am a weekend farmer and thus need as big as possible load bin. Couple of weeks ago I hear my wife is pregnant, so now we need to resturcture our lives a bit - seeing that we weren't really planning to have children - not right now at least.....

Anyways......... A double cab simply will not do the trick for me - unless I tow a trailer and I'm not too keen on that. My single cab wont do the trick either......... where does mom and baby sit?? So, I was thinking about the Ford Super Cab? Can one - LEGALLY - fit a baby seat in the cab? I have never even sat in the Ford, so I have no idea what it looks like inside - spacewise etc etc.

Any suggestions please!? As I said, NO DOUBLE CAB will work for me.... there simply is not enough loadbin space. I've had to borrow my brothers' doublecab on occasion and it just does not work!!

Maybe even an easier idea...... Can one somehow - legally and safely - fit a baby seat on a single cab?? If one takes out the armrest/storage compartment on the Toyota, I'm sure there is enough space..... or am I being completely mad

Thanks,
ATB
Old 17-11-08, 02:50 PM

ATB - welcome to the forum and congrats on the baby that's on the way

WRT the supercab, I am sure you can quite comfortably fit a baby seat in the back - I would fit it sideways though. There is more than enough space for this, plus you can fit a fridge behind the other seat to ensure that the babie's bottle stays refrigerated, etc - or just to cool your beer

Old 17-11-08, 02:53 PM

Hi and welcome.
From a legal aspect, in case of an accident, you will not be able to claim if someone was sitting in the back. As far as I know.

Mine has seats and seatbelts in the back. The previous owner had 2 baby seats in there, and I have tried fitting one myself just to see if it works.
Without the backrest, the seat fits fine. No real need for the front passenger seat to be moved forward too much.
It is not the ideal setup, but is what I will also be doing once a little one arrives.
Their is more space there than in my SIL's Corsa

Old 18-11-08, 08:12 AM

The difference between the dc and supercab is what, 2 inches?
You want space? Go for the F250.
Or use a trailer, like we all do.
Old 18-11-08, 08:20 AM

Standadr LWD load box length = 2100mm (approx)
Double Cab Load box length = 1500mm
Super Cab Load Box Length = 1750mm

I think the Supercab is a good compromise and the rear doors on the Ford ane a big plus

Old 18-11-08, 10:53 AM

Thanks all!!

As I said, I've never driven the Super Cab and even though I was wondering how much bigger the load box of the super cab vs double cab was, I did not realize that is was so insignificant.

Yip, seems like I'll have to opt for a trailer.......... LIKE YOU ALL DO!!
Old 18-11-08, 02:37 PM

250mm = almost 10 inches

Not all of us use trailers, welcome to the Forum.

Just remember the new shape Ford's load bin is a bit higher than the old one, ie more volumetric space.

ps don't let the Toyota guys know you posted here.

ORRA D04

ZS1ASH

Last edited by Ashley; 18-11-08 at 02:39 PM. Reason: confused between imperial and metric
Old 18-11-08, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
250mm = almost 10 inches

Not all of us use trailers, welcome to the Forum.
True Ashley - 10 inches make a difference and I seldom pull a trailer, except when taking the quad along

The super Cab load box is the same size as a standars SWB bakkie - fits nicely between the Double cab and LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
ps don't let the Toyota guys know you posted here.
True - they get intimidated by the FORD

Old 19-11-08, 08:57 AM

Sorry maybe I was a bit curt.
In my books a dc is as dual purpose as can be and the small bak is part of the deal. Before buying decide for what purpose, moving stuff or moving people. Stuff= single cab, people= dc and then with Ford, laptop/groceries/baby= supc.
Dont be afraid to supplement the smaller bak of a dc or sc with a trailer. A good trailer adapted to carry gear, tools, camping stuff, building material or whatever, is worth its weight in gold and so easy to just unhook and store, leaving you with a car-like vehicle with a big boot.
Old 19-11-08, 09:51 AM

Hi ATB,

Congratulations on the little one. When is he/she due? When we expected our little one, we decided on a DC and we found that he really enjoyed being able to sit in the back and look forward; there is also enough space on the other side of the seat for all his paraphenalia. Sometimes mom sits in the back with him and altough the space is a little cramped it can still be done.

Now that he is getting bigger (will turn 3 in Dec), even sitting on the booster seat, his feet easily touches the back of the passenger seat. (Much to the annoyance of his mother!)

My concern with the Supercab, as I do not have one, would be the availability of space as your kid grows. He/she is only going to be able to fit in the back / be comfortable for maybe a year or two.

Safety could also be an issue, and this has been raised before (but not satisfactorily resolved) - as the cab was not designed to carry passengers (even though safety belts can obviously be fitted) you may have a problem with your insurance/medical aid.

All the best.

Green Trimtech with yellow racing stripes and 5" Plastic wheels, 21l bucket, 125 Briggs & Stratton motor and a lever that goes from turtle to hare in 1 push.

Old 19-11-08, 09:59 AM

Stefan, just for interest, my wife sat in the back of my Supercab the other day, and was quite comfortable with space. We did move the front seat forward a bit, but FIL still had enough space for his legs.
Looking at the seats, there seem to be more leg space than my old A4 Audi.
My seats are nice in the back to give just enough space.

I would also prefer to tow a trailer, but have no space to store it. So the Supercab was a nice compromise between packing space and interior space.

Old 19-11-08, 04:05 PM

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies!! You may have noticed that this baby-thing is very new to me - actually a bit alien!! Haven't thought of baby actually outgrowing the supercab, haven't thought of mom having to sit in the back etc etc etc.

Baby is only due next year May/June, so I have enough time to think the whole thing over. It however seems like the only and best option would be a trailer......... In which case I'll stick with the TOYOTA of course!!! (thought I'd add that bit in to spice up your lives!!!)
Old 20-11-08, 05:28 PM

Hi guys
I don't quite get the argument of a compromise on safety if the baby sits in a clubcab vs a D/C or car. The little one will be using the ordinary safety seat for a good 2 years and the baby seats are fairly standard irrespective in what vehicle you fit it, as long as it is properly fitted. Personally thinks it makes no difference in what vehicle you install it, unless i am missing something.

Also remeber the VAT issue on a clubcab vs a double cab since farmers can claim VAT back for a clubcab but not for a D/C. So for me, I will go for the clubcab until the little one outgrows the back seat and then switch to a D/C bacause by that time you are in any event looking around for a new vehicle!
Old 21-11-08, 03:10 PM

AVM, theorectically if you fit a seat in the back of a Super Cab you should pay the vat back.

No Safety belts in the back of the Supercab.

Other than that I don't know what's the issue.

ORRA D04

ZS1ASH

Old 21-11-08, 03:42 PM

Hi guys,

M2CW is that you might as well buy a DC if you're considering a CC!

I went to Mozambique with a friend of mine (in the back of his dc). Halfway through the tri, he got water in the motor and bent the conrods. Long story short, we (the GF and I) were moved to the back of the clubcab.

I am 6'3" so it was a bit cramped with 2 of us and a cooler box. The space wasn't THAT MUCH of an issue, but having the passanger get out for us at every stop got a bit annoying.

The owner of the CC usually takes his "bakkie-mate" when going away and this was the reason for him buying a CC (the extra load-bin length).

I bought a DC Colt about 2 months ago and went to show him. I parked squarely next to him and we noticed that the load-bin is only about 15cm longer than mine.

He promptly went and bought a DC Colt too.

My opinion is that it's really NOT worth buying a CC. It's like a hatchback and a DC is much more practical! ;-)

Ironman suspension (Coming)
Alu-cab (Coming)
No garmin, girlfriend knows everything! (Then she bought me a GPS )

Old 21-11-08, 04:10 PM

Just remember, the Ford has the suicide doors, which makes entry into the Supercab easier. Front passanger only has to open their door, for rear person to climb in or out.

I didnt claim any vat back, so not really bothered about my seats and seatbelts in the back.
Obviously the d/c will be a bit more comfy, but depending on the type of seats you buy, kids should be more than happy sitting there.
I sat in the back of a Mini on holiday growing up, so I guess they shouldn't complain.

Old 21-11-08, 04:19 PM

I bought the supercab and not the double cab mainly for 1 reason: It is NOT a family car!!! This is my bakkie and I intend driving alone or with 1 passenger, plus I want to load my toolbox, fridge, rifles, etc, etc, etc all in the cab - hence a SC was not an option and a double cab is just too much of a family car for me - so the supercab is perfect - for me at least

In a couple of years when wife and kids arrive double cab will be the logical route, but till then - I am happy in my Supercab

Old 21-11-08, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christo Davids View Post
I bought the supercab and not the double cab mainly for 1 reason: It is NOT a family car!!! This is my bakkie and I intend driving alone or with 1 passenger, plus I want to load my toolbox, fridge, rifles, etc, etc, etc all in the cab - hence a SC was not an option and a double cab is just too much of a family car for me - so the supercab is perfect - for me at least

In a couple of years when wife and kids arrive double cab will be the logical route, but till then - I am happy in my Supercab
Your reasoning is exactly why we went for a Colt Clubcab... so we didn't have family members traipsing along with us on holiday unless they had their own vehicle...

But the kids became a factor... hence the pajero...

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

4WDCSA-WC, Pajero Club

Old 21-11-08, 04:28 PM

It is the same for me. For now its just me and the wife.
She wants the seats in there, because someone might want to drive with us.. I say they can sit on the bak.
If a little one comes along, maybe then I will rethink.
But to me, my Disco and old Rangy was permanently without the rear seat. First thing I did was to remove them.

You way up the pro's and con's of what you personally want out of the vehicle, and then make your choice.

Simon, I might have to come learn from you how you made the family travel in their own car! I fight a losing battle here!

Old 21-11-08, 04:35 PM

I do not have kids, Just very short SWAMBO & me, fridge behind me , box with camera equip, work stuff, basic gadget stuff in. Got the cussion / seat for the back if neccesary for being passenger vehicle..
Went hunting to Carnavon, there were 3 of us, buddy in the back, he actually slept most of the way. I am just to tall to sit in the back, but SWAMBO have no problems..

Love my Super Cab, hey that why they call it SUPER ..