logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Vehicle & Technical Chat > Jeep

4x4Community

Old 14-08-08, 09:48 PM

Morne Member
Default Jeep Cherokee 3.7ltd

Hi guys

Im about to buy a Jeep Cherokee 3.7L Ltd for R130 000 for the missus. Its a 2002 model with 125000km on the clock.

Just need some advise and information if you dont mind. Firstly would this be a good price? What is your typical fuel consumption with this vehicle. Any problems with this model that you know of and what will a typical service cost?

Thanks in advance

Morne
Old 19-08-08, 01:02 PM
Commercial Member: JKA 4x4 Accessories.

ShaneJKA Member

Sorry Mate i did do a post a few days ago where it went i cant say.

Well what i said was you are looking at around 15L to 16L per 100km could be a bit more if its an auto. My old 2004 CRD would run around 14L my sisters 2006 CRD runs at 13L.

Some thing that you need to take a look at is the lower ball joints they MUST be changed out and it should be done under a recall on the KJ they come apart because they get damaged from the front break disk heat!
You can ask DCSA t check on there system and you make them change them for you. If they tell you that you must change them and pay i should still have the recall notice for you! I gave them a copy of it and they changed mine to the updated part.

Manufactures & Suppliers of Trail Tested 4x4 Products | www.jka-mfg.co.za | shane@jka-mfg.co.za
Jeep JK Rubicon | 3" Synergy Stage 3 Suspension System | 37" Goodyear MT/R | JKA-MFG Front Mid Width & Stubby Rear Bumpers | JKA-MFG Rock Rails | JKA-MFG Steering Dampener Relocation | JKA-MFG Heat Reduction Hood
Old 19-08-08, 02:31 PM

AvW Member
Default 3.7 jeep cherokee

Too much as i have the exact same model and was offered R60000.00 as trde in.By the way mine was on 90000km.Fuel consumtion expect no better than 19-21 l/100km in town and 16-18l/km on open road.PROBLEMS look at radiator balljoints autogearbox disc brakes interior fan light & wiperstalks blown speakers wheel alignment manifold bolts breaking off and PRICE OF SPARES FROM STEALERS.If your jeep was serviced by the agents take another R30000.00 of the price .
Old 19-08-08, 04:54 PM

4X4byFAR Member
Question Lower Ball Joints Jeep Cherokee (KJ)

Hi Apollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
Some thing that you need to take a look at is the lower ball joints they MUST be changed out and it should be done under a recall on the KJ they come apart because they get damaged from the front break disk heat!
You can ask DCSA t check on there system and you make them change them for you. If they tell you that you must change them and pay i should still have the recall notice for you! I gave them a copy of it and they changed mine to the updated part.
I also have a Jeep Cherokee (KJ) 3.7L Ltd 2005 Auto and I found your reply interesting about the lower ball joints. I want to check mine, after your reply, and I'm wondering if you could mail me the DCSA recall notice? There was an article in one of the 4X4 mags about the same issue a while back - I think in SA 4X4 not quite sure anymore, but the people got stuck somewhere with the same problem and were surrounded by lions.

Thanks

FJ CRUISER
87L Long Range Tank
Bushwacker Fender Flares

Old 19-08-08, 05:35 PM

Roll-on Member

Tell a bit more about these ball joints?
I never received a recall! and I now a humming sound coming from somewhere which I asume is the diff. But it could be from the wheels too!!

Old 19-08-08, 05:40 PM

Jeep001 Member

There is currently a recall for 2002-3003 KJ's (ball joints). My brother's Jeep went in 3 weeks ago and mine is booked for next week.

If I were you, contact Jeep Century City and asked them if you can book your Jeep in.
Old 20-08-08, 11:23 AM

4X4byFAR Member
Exclamation Lower Ball Joints Jeep Cherokee (KJ)

Hi guys

I did an internet search - wonderful tool this thing called the NET

Here is three links that relates to the recalls discussed. They relate to the Liberty BUT I'm sure that it also relates to the Cherokee, as the Liberty is known in SA - and you can find it at this URL:

http://www.automotive.com/2005/12/je...lls/index.html

1. Recall ID # 06V288000 - SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM:LOWER BALL JOINT

Recall ID # 06E026000 - EXTERIOR LIGHTING

3. Recall ID # 05V460000 - POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

Hope this helps - I will take my Jeep into Cargo Motors in Potch and will keep you posted as to the outcome.

Cheers,

FJ CRUISER
87L Long Range Tank
Bushwacker Fender Flares

Old 22-08-08, 03:13 PM

Roll-on Member

eish
diff gone to jeepheaven
R13500 later and jeepless for the next week

Old 07-09-08, 04:49 PM

JD Member

Hi
New to forum. Just bought 2003 Cherokee Sport 3.7L and would like to know whether it was part of the recall on the ball joints.
Greetings
John Eastes
Old 07-09-08, 06:47 PM

Changa Bulanga Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l100 View Post
Hi
New to forum. Just bought 2003 Cherokee Sport 3.7L and would like to know whether it was part of the recall on the ball joints.
Greetings
John Eastes
Most likely yes. Pop into or phone your local agent and give them your VIN number - They'll tell you if it's been done on your vehicle or not.

Andre

So far: ChryCo 81/4" 29 spline Rear Axle, ChroMo shafts, ARB Lockers front and rear, 4.10's, OME934/JC1A with JCXL's, TeraFlex 2" spacers and extended shackles, OME Long NitroChargers, OME Damper, 31" KL71's, FrontRunner rack, Custom SYE and HD CV shaft, OBA, Dual battery system, Changa Sliders, Front and Rear Bumpers and tyre carrier.
Coming soon: Underbody armour, OTK steering, HD Trackbar and a few other bits...

Old 08-09-08, 09:04 AM

Jeep001 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l100 View Post
Hi
Greetings
John Eastes
Answer is Yes. Refer to Safety Recall F23 - Lower Ball Joints.

The stealers should be able to trace your vehicle history (via VIN nr).
Old 13-09-08, 05:00 PM

Red-J Member

I am also looking at buying a 3,7 ltd for the wife, looking at a later model, maybe a 2006/2007.
Any other comments, ride quality, performance, comfort etc?

1999 Jeep XJ 4.0L Sport
2012 PajeroSport 3,2 DID
6,5"Lift | TNT Customs Y-Link Longarm Upgrade |BDS Coils | JKS Quicker Disconnects | OME Leafs | 2,5" Block & JKS 1" Boomerang shackles | Skyjacker Nitro Shocks | Bushwacker Fender Flares | 33"Cooper STTs | IPF Headlight upgrade |6" KC Daylighter Spots | Gobi-X Bumpers & Rock-sliders | Airflow Snorkel | ARB Lockers | 4.56 ratios |G2 HD D35 Shafts | Rear Disk Brake Conversion | HD Steering Upgrade

[/URL]

Old 17-09-08, 10:40 AM

gorman Member

Red-J, I hope you don't have any intentions to get rid of your XJ??

In the past...

2000 Cherokee Country 4.0l | RE/OME 6" lift | 33" Maxxis Bighorns | ARB bumper | Warn M8000 winch | Gorman rocksliders | 4.56 ratios | Gearmax Mod 89 rear diff | HP Dana 30 front diff | WJ steering and brakes

Old 17-09-08, 05:33 PM

Red-J Member

No, dont worry the XJ is my Jeep and I definatly dont plan on selling it.
Looking for something for the wife to replace the Corsa, I am just a bit concerned about build quality. I tested a 2007 KJ the otherday and it had a loose 'airbag' plate (as per the dealer sales man) that was ratteling in the dash above the glove box and there seemed to be lots of wind noise while driving on the highway. All a bit disconserting
Old 03-04-09, 08:36 AM

Morne Member

Ok, I forgot about this post. I didn't buy the Cherokee then and walked away with a 4.2L V8 Audi instead.

Sadly two weeks ago I arrived home to find a Jeep Cherokee 3.7L sport parked in front of our garage. My Lovely wife decided I had enouth fun in the Audi and traded it for the Jeep

Now I didnt get to speak to the dealers about this and have a few questions.

That funny little button on the side of the automatic gear lever (O/D) What is that for. When I push the button the light on the dash comes on and says OD off. Should it be off when driving on normal roads, another words with the light on? When are you supposed to use it? Kind of weird that its off when the light is on.

Was the 2004 model also recalled for the ball joints?

For a 3.7L its seems very "sluggish" Very poor acelaration, but maybe im just used to the Audi and my Clubcab.Having said that ones its up to speed it seems a very smooth ride.

The 4x4 lever seems very difficult to get it into gear. Having spoken on the phone to the sales lady at Century City she said its normal on jeeps.When I say difficult you realy have to pull hard on the thing. Does the car have to be in neutral and stationary when you change into 4x4 mode?

Thanks in advance.

Morne
Old 03-04-09, 08:56 AM

Jeep001 Member

As per the manual(book) you are suppose to click the o/d off when towing. When travelling with a roofrack and ammo boxes on top, I also click the o/d off. I also click it off when approaching a long hill. This enables the motor to run better within the torque curve. Max torque is at 3,800revs.

Funny, the jeep does 0-100km/h in 10seconds. Not bad for a 2ton (yes, check the registered weight).

Once you change from a "platkar" you also have to change your driving habits. I tend to stick a lot more to the national speed limits (especially after the lift) than before.

So, when are you having your jeep modified?

Toyota Prado 150 4.0 VX
------------------------------------------------
Jeep Cherokee 3.7L Sport - 2003 Sold
Mods.: Frankenlift Premuim II - 2.5" Lift Kit
ARB Bullbar
Airsprings - Rear
Conqueror Commander

Old 03-04-09, 09:09 AM

Jeremiah Member

I can comment from the Cherokee 2.8 perspective - not sure if your set-up is exactly the same....

The O/D is for use when battling serious headwinds, towing and long steep uphill's when the auto box is 'hunting' between gears. Also handy for brisk overtaking so that the auto box doesn't engage overdrive at a critical time. By default - your O/D is on - you only override it (or switch it off), when you don't want the car to use it's overdrive gearing.

You can engage High Range (Part or Full time), up to 88kph.

You can engage Low range from stationary - but may have to rock forward and backward until it engages properly. Personally, I find that if you let the car crawl 3-5kph makes for the easiest engage / disengage of the Low Range. Using this method (by the book) - it works perfectly every time.

The lever is certainly 'positive' in action - takes a good tug to change the cogs. Perhaps yours has not been moved much in it's past history. It's not unusual for people to use two hands to engage / disengage the transfer box. Not just on Jeeps either... Give the lever a good jerk, rather than a gentle 'pull'.

Your owners manual gives you a full breakdown of recommendations as to which gearing or 4 wheel drive mode to use in certain conditions. I think someone on this Forum created a link to a .pdf download if you don't have a manual.

As regards the 'sluggish' feel - is it not just the loooonnnggg pedal travel? - remember also that the Throttle By Wire is designed to be less sensitive at low speeds / initial pick up, so as to facilitate low speed off-road control. If you stamp that loud pedal your rear wheels should chirp on good tarmac whilst the traction control does its thing.

Your questions on the ball joints and recall have been answered.

Try out these suggestions and let me know.

Regards

Old 06-04-09, 08:17 AM

Morne Member

Thanks for the replies guys, It has answered my questions.

One more if you dont mind.

The little computor thingie said that there was 43km left in tank to empty. I filled up the car, but it only took 52L and the book says its a 74L tank. Is it 74L including reserve and does the computor take this into account when it works out the distance left?
Old 06-04-09, 08:23 AM

Jeep001 Member

The 2002 model only had 70L capacity

Toyota Prado 150 4.0 VX
Jeep Cherokee 3.7L Sport - 2003 Sold
Mods.: Frankenlift Premuim II - 2.5" Lift Kit
ARB Bullbar
Airsprings - Rear
Conqueror Commander

Old 06-04-09, 01:38 PM

nomie2 Member

And the computer already says empty at 60 litres. I comfortable drive 100+km after it says 0km left.
Old 06-04-09, 02:07 PM

Outback Matt Member

Hi guys

didnt see this thread the first time round. i drive a 2002 Cherokee Sport 3.7l, and am quite sure it has not been recalled. i just called Jeep Century City and am waiting for the relevant person to call me. is there anything in particular that one needs to do, or will they merely replace the parts for me? anything to watch out for?
Old 06-04-09, 04:16 PM

Jabu Jeep Member
Default Hi

I bought a 2003 Cherokee with 88500km for R100 000.00, I get 6km/l no matter how I drive. My normal vehicle is a 300 d-teq Isuzu but I tend to drive the Jeep. This vehicle has impressed me from the day that I got it, it is so relaxed to drive, parks easy, the autobox is good enough and the seats comfortable. I get 360km on a tank of fuel, and this results in 6km/l. My big disco3 fan friend visited this weekend and also commented on how nice this vehicle drive. Its a Jeep thing.....

Andre Thuynsma

Old 17-04-09, 11:36 AM
elza

i know this post is old but i joined this forum just to ask for help regarding a decision

I moved to a farm and need a 4x4- I spotted a 2006 Cherokee 3.7 litre Limited
mileage: 38000 km
Price is under R100000

This seems ridiculously low to me - or its just a real bargain - im not sure.
Also will this edition need to be recalled? If so what is the cost involved in that.
Also what must I watch out for when having a look at the car?
Old 02-06-09, 12:44 PM

hndg Member

i have a a 3.7l ltd (2003) and have been very satisfied with it. the fuel consumption (average 13 to 14 l per 100km combined cycle) actually seems quite good compared to 4.0l toyota and nissan engines. i also enjoy the power, but it is not meant to be driven at high speed.

i've bought mine with 58000km and now has 135000km with no problems (except for the normal wear, i.e. tyres, brakes, battery etc).

i would also prefer petrol to CRD for the main reason that (in my opinion) the engine will last much longer than a stressed turbo charged engine. it is almost idling when doing 120km/h (just over 2000rpm).

bottom line: the 3.7 is a good choice although i think R130,000 for a 2002 model seems too high (you can have mine for R110,000...).

Last edited by hndg; 03-06-09 at 09:03 AM.
Old 30-06-14, 09:45 AM

WillysCJ Member

Bump for Trevor

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited CRD AUTO
2011 Nissan Qashqai 2.0 diesel (SWAMBO)