logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Hobbies > Arms, Ammo & Hunting

4x4Community

Notices

Old 04-06-08, 06:37 PM

Craigb Member
Default Tips for getting a firearm licence.

Are there any things one should do in order to make sure your application goes through smoothly? I doubt there is anything you could do to speed it up, but at least to make sure it doesn't come back rejected...

I am doing my competency in July and then is it just a matter of filling in the application?

What can one do if you want to be able to keep more than 1 rifle?

http://stilbaaiminer.blogspot.com/

Old 04-06-08, 06:41 PM
Ek se mos

Spike Member

Speak to ABvT

* "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
.................................................. .....

Old 04-06-08, 06:48 PM

Christo Davids Member

You need to "prove" to the CFR that you "need" the firearm

Tips on doing that:
For rifles - join a hunting association. Get a letter of recommendation from them where they "endorse" your rifles, basically saying that theyu are indeed suitable for your hunting requirements
Keep "permission to hunt" letter from game farms where you have hunted. If you don't have any, ask someone to hook you up with some. this serves as great motivation for hunting rifles
Go to the rifle range often and insist on a receipt. You can hand this in as additional motivation that you do in fact use your rifles, not only for hunting, but you practise on the range as well

In terms of handgun licences, you need to motivate the need again. This should be quite simple. You hace a farm and often drive there alone and at night. You frequently go to the range to practise (again, some form of proof would help). You don't only want to use the firearm for self defence, but also for some recreational shooting. Again, get some sort of letter or endorsement from a club. Even if you have to pay the membership fees for a year, their endorsement will go a long way towards your application. Any other reason that you can think of as to wy you need a handgun, be creative. You have family that live in an area where crime is a real threat and you often travel at night to go and visit, etc.

For all licences, get some sort of reference that describes your character, from a doctor / pastor, etc. they need to mention that you are a well respected, very calm and laid back person, you are not agressive, etc.

Old 04-06-08, 10:36 PM

Cois Member

any clubs in CT. I am Dec born and need to get mine this year. Where do you start. Got a 9mm and 270 must do both. Do you make apointments what do you do. I lost track with the new laws.

Old 05-06-08, 09:06 AM

kenny Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cois View Post
any clubs in CT. I am Dec born and need to get mine this year. Where do you start. Got a 9mm and 270 must do both. Do you make apointments what do you do. I lost track with the new laws.

Pm Abvt he can and will assit you

Old 05-06-08, 09:49 AM
Rocky

Its ll comes down to your motivation. I did mine for self defence (hand Gun) and my motivation came to 8 pages. Yeah it does take long , One's you application is in, phone them ones a week to check up , and if they decline then apeal , they hardly ever deny the apeal
Old 05-06-08, 10:04 AM

SteveB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Its ll comes down to your motivation. I did mine for self defence (hand Gun) and my motivation came to 8 pages.
Damn dude, that's huge! What did you write to fill eight pages? I did my dads motivation for him - one page letter - approved first time. Took over two years, but no hassles apart from the wait.

Don't feel bad though, when I submitted my applications I handed in volumes of information. I'm fully expecting a refusal, which I'll appeal of course. It just seems to be how they do things with some applications.
Old 05-06-08, 10:48 AM
Rocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
Damn dude, that's huge! What did you write to fill eight pages? I did my dads motivation for him - one page letter - approved first time. Took over two years, but no hassles apart from the wait.

Don't feel bad though, when I submitted my applications I handed in volumes of information. I'm fully expecting a refusal, which I'll appeal of course. It just seems to be how they do things with some applications.
I included everything from all the case numbers of family and friends that was held up and murdered.To all my measures I have taken to secure my house/family , and crime stats from my local cop station in my area. My traveling habbits Etc , But you must make it clear to SAPS that you do not intend using the firearm inless compeletly neccearsy and within the LAW . So I am waiting , been 8 months and I am on step 3 bought my gun and my application is with the office in PTA

As for the deactivating its more pain than getting the license renewd you might as well renew you license then
and if you have the firearms already it no pain. ,do your training and submitt your forms togheter with good motivation
and forget about it , you still have the firearm and full use of it whiel you wait

Last edited by Rocky; 05-06-08 at 10:52 AM. Reason: More Info
Old 05-06-08, 11:53 AM

Andre.Nortje Member

I see a lot of frustrations, before you cut up your weapons (hunting rifles), maybe someone wants to buy them.... PM me.

Is there any issues (legislation) that would prevent this (purchase)?

2008 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 Di-D 4x4

Last edited by Andre.Nortje; 05-06-08 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Ambiguous
Old 05-06-08, 11:56 AM

Kola Member

Disco Land,
No issues if the person qualifies for the license - just the time it takes, and the chance of the license not being granted.
Old 05-06-08, 12:19 PM

SteveB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
do your training and submitt your forms togheter with good motivation
and forget about it , you still have the firearm and full use of it whiel you wait
Exactly what I've done.
I don't care if it takes them 100 years to process my renewals. I've got my receipt to prove that I've complied, and can use the firearms in the interim, so I'm not worried how long it takes them.
Old 05-06-08, 12:40 PM
Commercial Member: Kubu 4x4 Trailer Rental

Jannie Kubu4x4 Member

Quote:
Tips for getting a firearm licence.

Are there any things one should do in order to make sure your application goes through smoothly? I doubt there is anything you could do to speed it up, but at least to make sure it doesn't come back rejected...

I am doing my competency in July and then is it just a matter of filling in the application?

What can one do if you want to be able to keep more than 1 rifle?
Craig
Visit www.capehunt.co.za or www.sahunters.co.za . They have standard formats on the websites telling you exactly what to include in your motivation. Best is to leave nothing to chance, convince them of your need and supply as much info as possible. Once you've done the motivation keep it on record as you can use the same motivation when renewing in future.
You are allowed 4 licences according to the FCA of which only one is allowed for selfdefence. If you want more than 4 you must register as a dedicated sports shooter, hunter or collector which is a process in itself.

Quote:
I have gotten to the stage that I am ready to cut my weapons into small pieces on the cutoff machine and then go and hand them in.
Quote:
I had a fine to pay about 6 months ago. I got to the magistrates court and the system was down, or the clerk was asleep, or something to that effect. They were going to make me stay for about 2 hrs.

I put the fine and the money on the counter, took a picture of the money, the fine and the clerk. Then I left. Got my proof. Never heard from them again.

What I am saying is, take the firearms to the copshop, take the pictures and leave them there.
Henris
Firearms are not fines. You will create more hassles for yourself than I gather you want. If you are prepared to destroy rather hand it in at a dealer and have them take the licences off your name. At least they can try and sell and you help a dealer that might be struggling due to the FCA. My 2c

KUBU 4X4 TRAILER RENTAL
083 631 6995
jannie@kubu4x4.co.za
www.kubu4x4.co.za
Click here for the latest updates in the Commercial Section
Jannie Engelbrecht a.k.a. Granlor

Old 05-06-08, 05:52 PM

AB vT Member

How long did it take for xenophobia to flair up, where the police able to protect these people, how many people died unable to defend themselves, or their families.

Think before you disarm yourself the process and motivation is peanuts.

Nukers have your finger on the delete button, I do not want this thread to turn political.

Please do not discuss this issue again, it borders on politics.

Old 05-06-08, 08:15 PM

Craigb Member

Interesting tips. Sounds like one serious patience testing process.

What is the story with the following:

1) Do you need the licence first before you can buy a rifle?
2) Are you allowed to legally hunt with someone else's rifle?
3) Are you allowed to shoot at the range with another persons rifle?

http://stilbaaiminer.blogspot.com/

Old 05-06-08, 08:21 PM
Ek se mos

Spike Member

1. You usually pay 50%, apply for the licence, then the other 50% on collecting the rifle. This may have changed with the current licencing issues and you probably have to pay the full amount up front. You must have the licence before taking delivery.

2. yes....if under the supervision of the licenced guy

3. yes...if under the supervision of the licenced guy

* "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
.................................................. .....

Old 05-06-08, 08:26 PM

Christo Davids Member

You need a firearm licence before you can legally take controll of a rifle, i.e. you can buy a rifle without a licence, but you may NOT collect it before you have the licence (you pay the gun shop up front, then wait 2 years for the licence)

You are allowed to use another person's firearm, while under their direct supervision. i.e. you are allowed to hunt with another person's rifle, provided they accompany you at all times (walk with you in the field, the firearm remains their responsibility)

Personally, the whole re-licencing isn't all that bad. I currently have 6 licences under the new law. I did 4 reknweals (2xrifles, 1xshotgun, 1x9mm) and got 2 new rifle licences. I allpiad for everything simultaniously. Yes you do wait +/- 2 years for licences, but I got mine without any hassles / appeals. My 4 reknewals were motivated very briefly, all 4 fitted onto an A4 page. the 2 new rifles were motivated each with an A4 sized motivation letter. My supporting documents were very comprehensive though, which definately helps. Everything that I mentioned above definately helps. Remember to phone them quite often, as they don'y let you know once the licences are approved, you need to phone them!

Old 05-06-08, 08:46 PM

SteveB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigb View Post

2 & 3 have been answered.

You need a Competency Certificate before you can buy a rifle. You buy the rifle (with whatever terms the dealer will offer you), and then apply for the licence to possess the rifle.
Old 05-06-08, 10:20 PM

Cois Member

Thanx. Will look at the website. Is there a 100 + m range in CT.

Old 06-06-08, 07:13 AM

Christo Davids Member

Have a look at this thread - last post. Olive Rover posted a list of all registered SABA approved ranges in SA

http://www.4x4community.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=19866

Old 06-06-08, 10:35 AM
Rocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigb View Post

2) Are you allowed to legally hunt with someone else's rifle?
3) Are you allowed to shoot at the range with another persons rifle?
1: you buy your firearm at step 3 , after completing the training and certified competent by SAPS . The gun shop or original owner mut keep the firearm until you have you license.

2 Yes if he is present
3 yes if he is present
Old 06-06-08, 01:24 PM
Rocky

I just spke to the CFR, They said they waiting for my card . I must phone next week , When they told my friend this he had he's license 2 weeks later , I hope thats my case , Then it took me a year to do !!!
Old 06-06-08, 02:27 PM

Bugs Member
Default Cfr

Do you have the number for the CFR. My birthday is Feb and still dont have the renewal for my five firearms already applied for two new licenses. I wouls like to give them a call.

Old 06-06-08, 02:33 PM

SteveB Member

012-3536111
Old 06-06-08, 02:54 PM

Bugs Member
Default Status

They are on the ball. Finally after three years they say that my application has reached the last stage.

Thanks for the number.

However they have no record of the new applications. I will call them in another year.

Old 06-06-08, 04:13 PM
Rocky

dit help om op te check , ek bel hulle elke vrydag , ken my al ,
Old 06-06-08, 04:55 PM

Christo Davids Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
However they have no record of the new applications. I will call them in another year.
You need to follow up on this, I have heard of many applications going missing. If they can't find it on their system after some time, go to the local station. If they can't find it either, chances are good that the allplications have gone missing

This happened to Dirk (bosbok on the forum) as well. I don't know what he did, but a month later he had his licences

Old 07-06-08, 07:26 AM

Bugs Member
Default Proficiency competency

Just a quick question. I did the competency test when I applied for the renewals. I was told that I had to do it again for any new applications.
So I did it again.
Then they (training guys)gave me a competency certificate. Now the police are asking me for some competency card!!! what is that? Never seen one.

As far as Proficiency is concerned I did that years ago, but never did the dedicated hunter thing. I suppose I should do that, but I thought the fact that I own a game farm should be enough.

They say that you are not allowed to have more than 4 weapons including your hand gun without dedicated hunter status. I already have five. 2X sporting shot guns, 1X ,22 and the 270. Oh and an old snake gun. (4.10 double pistol shot)

So the new applications are for a hand gun (10mm) and a 308. The question is --- they probably going to reject the new application. Would you suggest that I go ahead and get the dedicated hunter thing in the mean time?

Old 07-06-08, 08:42 AM
Commercial Member: Kubu 4x4 Trailer Rental

Jannie Kubu4x4 Member
Default Competency Certificate

Quote:
Just a quick question. I did the competency test when I applied for the renewals. I was told that I had to do it again for any new applications.
So I did it again.
Then they (training guys)gave me a competency certificate. Now the police are asking me for some competency card!!! what is that? Never seen one.

As far as Proficiency is concerned I did that years ago, but never did the dedicated hunter thing. I suppose I should do that, but I thought the fact that I own a game farm should be enough.

They say that you are not allowed to have more than 4 weapons including your hand gun without dedicated hunter status. I already have five. 2X sporting shot guns, 1X ,22 and the 270. Oh and an old snake gun. (4.10 double pistol shot)

So the new applications are for a hand gun (10mm) and a 308. The question is --- they probably going to reject the new application. Would you suggest that I go ahead and get the dedicated hunter thing in the mean time?
Hi Bugs
I did all this the first time round three years ago so memory a bit rusted but here goes.
  1. Training centres give you a proficiency certificate. Training for this includes firstly an overview of the new FCA and secondly the use of your actual firearms. For renewals only and if you are not going to buy any new firearms you could only do a partial training course on the new FCA. If you want to apply for new licences you have to do the full course and include all the types of firearms you own or would like to own ie. handgun, rifle, shotgun and convince the the training centre that you can competently and safely operate and use said firearm.
  2. Whatever you did under 1. you hand the proficiency certificate you received from the training centre in at the SAPS together with the application form for a competency certificate to be issued by SAPS. SAPS will then issue a Competency Certificate(White plastic card similar to new Licence cards) after all their usual investigations stating whether you are competent to own a handgun, rifle or shotgun or all three. If you have the correct competency certificate you can apply for new firearm licences. AFAIK everybody that apply for renewals also hand in an application for a competency certificate. Should take round about the same time as your licences. The competency card should also be carried together with your firearm licence.
  3. The FCA states that any person may own 4 firearms of which only one may be for self defence unless you have very special circumstances and can convince them otherwise. If you want more than 4 licences you have to register as a dedicated hunter, sportsman or collector.
I have done the dedicated hunter course and think it's worth the effort. At the least you might learn something. There are also something called recognition of prior learning which you could discuss with your local hunting association which might negate the need for doing the whole course and allow the hunting association to give you dedicated status.
Bottomline, you have to obtain dedicated hunter status if you want more than 4 licences otherwise the applications will be denied purely because you already have 4 other licences.
Also you still have to convince SAPS that you have an actual need for the new firearms so dedicated status does not mean you automatically will receive the licences. Don't scimp on the motivation and don't give them any reason not to approve the application.

Groete
Jannie

KUBU 4X4 TRAILER RENTAL
083 631 6995
jannie@kubu4x4.co.za
www.kubu4x4.co.za
Click here for the latest updates in the Commercial Section
Jannie Engelbrecht a.k.a. Granlor

Old 07-06-08, 11:09 AM

Bugs Member
Default motivation

Thanks. I did put in a good motivation. I hope they read it.!!

The truth be said I actually dont "hunt" anymore. The rifle comes in handy to deal with injured animals and the odd feral dog or jackal and for culling.
Its more of a tool for the job that is always there for the eventuality. A game farmer without a proper firearm is a bit like a dairy farmer without a milking machine.

I must be confused. about the competency/proficiency. I did an informal course with my hunting association to get proficiency graded. As you say the course was very good and informative, and probably very similar to the course you need to do to be called a dedicated hunter.

Old 07-06-08, 05:20 PM

hennie321 Member

in 2004 i did all the relevant courses, and was found compentant in all 4 catogories. i am a member of SAMSSA (south african metallic silhoutte shoot ass)

there were a couple of issues, like a being qualified as a range officer, which i did.

with the re application for all my lisences, i had no drama, except the file which i sent was as thick as our family bible, and had no fuss, waited for about two months, and whalla !!!

my advice is also to join up with any organization, but the simple rule is, to shoot all or as many as you can with club, to justify your guns!!

golden rule is: when you apply for the gun, and the lisence is for sport, DONT USE IT FOR SELF DEFENSE !!! you gonna get mayor sh%t !!

also remember, YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO USE THE GUN TO SHOOT ANYONE !!
Old 08-06-08, 03:45 PM

SteveB Member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennie321 View Post
golden rule is: when you apply for the gun, and the lisence is for sport, DONT USE IT FOR SELF DEFENSE !!! you gonna get mayor sh%t !!

also remember, YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO USE THE GUN TO SHOOT ANYONE !!
Quote:
16 Licence to possess firearm for dedicated hunting and dedicated sports-shooting

(1) A firearm in respect of which a licence may be issued in terms of this section is any-
(a) handgun which is not fully automatic;
(b) rifle or shotgun which is not fully automatic;
(c) any semi-automatic shotgun manufactured to fire no more than five shots in succession without having to be reloaded; or
(d) barrel, frame or receiver of a handgun, rifle or shotgun contemplated in paragraph (a), (b) or (c).

(2) The Registrar may issue a licence in terms of this section to any natural person who is a dedicated hunter or dedicated sports person if the application is accompanied by a sworn statement or solemn declaration from the chairperson of an accredited hunting association or sports-shooting organisation, or someone delegated in writing by him or her, stating that the applicant is a registered member of that association.

(3) A firearm in respect of which a licence has been issued in terms of this section may be used where it is safe to use the firearm and for a lawful purpose.
Would self defence not be a lawful purpose under point 3 of this section of the act?
Old 08-06-08, 04:42 PM

hennie321 Member

Nope !!!

read the act carefully, at no stage it says "self defense"

it says "where it is safe to use the firearm and for a lawful purpose.

safe to use means, declared safe, as on the range before use, as instructed by a range officer.

no law will cover you when you used it for "self defense"

the only time when you may use a gun, is when someone pulls a gun on you, and you have offcourse have enough time to pull yours.

but that is about the only time when you may use the gun in "self defense"

I WOULD NOT USE MY GUN/GUNS IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, UNLESS I USE IT IN A SANCTURED MATCH.

i can carry on and on, but my fingers are too slow to type all the do's and dont's.

best is join a gun club, do the approved poslec course, and ask the fassilitor all these questions.
Old 08-06-08, 04:53 PM

SteveB Member

So, am I to understand that:

1. self defence is unlawful?
2. it is only safe to use a firearm if there is a range officer present?
Old 08-06-08, 07:35 PM

hennie321 Member

1. self defense in not unlawfull !!! just dont use a gun...use hands, knees, elbows, catclaw, anything but a gun !!!!

2. best use of a gun is on the range...you have much more fun, pending on what dissipline you participate in....practical shoot..hones your reflexes
clay pigeons...hones your eye sight. Bench shoot...teach your breathing etc etc..

and then you get medal to go show off, and certificates to prove that you are active in the game, so when you need to purchace a new gun, you got all the paperwork to prove it. Same if you need to re apply for gun license.

big rule of the game...take your kids and wife along...its a family sport !!!!
Old 08-06-08, 07:46 PM

280iNyati Member

Not entirely true....

You can lawfully use your fire arm registerred for sport/hunting if you are lawfully defending yourself or another person who is at risk of serious bodely harm, or your/other person's life is at risk - threat of death. You can register your 9mm as your self defence pistol and your 44magnum as your sport weapon (if you belong to a club of course) and you can legally use your 44mag as your self defence weapon. The same goes if you have time to get your lisenced 303 out of the safe in time to defend yourself.

SAC Intercooled, Calmini Suspension Upgrade, Cooper STT's
Isuzu 300TD Chipped, Dune Offroad suspension kit, Snorkel
Why be difficult when with a bit of effort you can be impossible ?

Old 08-06-08, 08:02 PM

SteveB Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennie321 View Post
1. self defense in not unlawfull !!!
Then, if the act states that I may use the firearm for a lawful purpose, and self defence in not unlawful, please point out the section of the act that prohibits me from using the firearm for self defence.
Old 09-06-08, 09:33 AM
Rocky

The Law provides 1 gun for self defence , I have applied for my license and my motvation was self defense , and It looks like my licesne is approved , How ever if you state on your license a one liner to say you want a gun for self defence you wont get it , it needs to be a proper motivation how you explian why you need a gun for self defence .

You also need to make the SAPS aware the you sole intemntion is to only use the gun within the scope of the LAW and only as last resort to protect your life . not property .
Old 30-03-09, 01:39 PM

Bugs Member

I went back to find this post and can tell you that I called the CFR last week and they have granted me competency. Now we wait to see if they give me a license for the renewals and new applications.

I see the last time I called them was may 2008. Any one else happy with their service?

Old 30-03-09, 02:40 PM

Christo Davids Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
I went back to find this post and can tell you that I called the CFR last week and they have granted me competency. Now we wait to see if they give me a license for the renewals and new applications.

I see the last time I called them was may 2008. Any one else happy with their service?
I call them at least once every second week. They are very helpful over the phone, just be nice to them

My .416 rigby application is with CFR at the moment, handed application in in Jan, but I already have several licences under new act, so no safe inspection required this time round...

Old 31-03-09, 07:32 AM

Bugs Member

I promise I have been polite and they are equally polite and quite helpful. Its not their fault. There is just no-one there who is capable of making a decision.

They say that my application is in the W. Cape section, but I cant seem to get through to that section.

But, yeah;. you are right; - call them when you are in a good mood and have some time, its not a good idea to loose your cool with them. The same way you deal with customs guys at the border post.