logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Vehicle & Technical Chat > Land Rover

4x4Community

Land Rover Go Beyond! The best 4x4xfar!

Old 08-04-08, 07:33 AM

Default New Land Rover (Puma)

Hi All,

I have been looking at the New Defender 90 (Puma), and I was just wondering what the general feeling of the vehicle was?
The salesman at Land Rover has assured me that they have sorted out all the reliability issues, and this is definitely the Land Rover to buy
What do the people with all the knowledge have to stay?

Many thanks for the help
Old 08-04-08, 10:26 AM

Replaced my Td5 with a Puma 110 SW in December, done 13000km, 2000km Natal North Coast round trip, lots of it off-road, 2000km Lady Grey-Nelspruit round trip with a 2.5 ton load, 2100km round trip through CKGR, a 400km round trip with a boat on the roof, the usual weekend farming which includes loading, towing, winching, off-road work, and a lot more...

Has the same or marginally better capabillities than Td5, TC is a bonus.

The big difference for me is it's open road cruising abillity, the engine is quiet enough so that wind and road noise becomes an issue, it also sits at 120km/h with a lot more ease than Td5 and it reaches it's 140km/h(on the clock) limiter very easily, feels as if it will pull all the way to 170km/h if it had no limiter.

A lot of small ergonomic changes make it a more comfortable place to be. It is still a little way off most other SUVs and duo cabs from a comfort and on road performance point of view, not as far behind as it was though. It is still a Defender and for commuting and if it is not going to be used for it's strengths there are still better vehicles to consider(including Hi-Lux).

I have had 0 mechanicall problems, not even a nigle, not that I have had many problems with any of my other Defenders (****), which is unusuall for a new vehicle of any brand in my experience. The Puma motor, although modified for use in Defender, is a tested and very highly regarded motor, it is also not running to it's maximum tune so it should be very reliable. I don't know if they've used the same gearbox that they normally match to the motor? I read an article that sugested so by implication. If so, it is also a tested and highly regarded 'box.

LRs(Pta) service levels have improved, that has IMO been LRs problem biggest in the past, still not where they should be(working off very a low base) but getting there, seems to be a problem with most brands though. We found with my mother's D3 that spares still seem to be a problem.

I was sceptical when I bought it but I am now very satsfied that I have made the correct decision.

Last edited by Fontuin; 09-04-08 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-04-08, 10:05 AM

Thank you for the useful info
Old 09-04-08, 10:53 AM

Default LR Puma

Was on a trail with one and it seemed to cope with obstacle much more easily than the Defenders and Disco 2s. No wheels spinning and the general commotion the associated with difficult obstacles. Very quite to.

Old 10-04-08, 10:32 AM

~

Last edited by ctLandy; 16-09-10 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-04-08, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew388 View Post
1. ABS and TC lights illuminated - problem with ABS sensor, finally repaired under warranty and apparently there is a recall on the item.
I have heard complaints from other owners as well, faulty sensor needs replacing on the earliest models, mine has behaved so far, touch wood.

What dealer do you use?
Old 10-04-08, 11:17 AM

I also want to know about the dealership. Definately don't want to end up using them far ANYTHING!

Had the beast in for repairs in Upington and have received nothing but good (and helpfull) service.

Hope it is all sorted soon and you can get back to enjoying it without all tha additional BS.

Cheers

2008 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 Di-D 4x4

Last edited by 4ePajero; 23-07-08 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-04-08, 02:24 PM

~

Last edited by ctLandy; 16-09-10 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-05-08, 08:58 AM

~

Last edited by ctLandy; 16-09-10 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-05-08, 09:48 AM

We also got a red ninety (i MEAN ITS MY WIFES)that had the same oil leak.

Took the car in to a Dealer In centurion, at 08h00 -- collected it at 12h00 fixed and clean.

We are very happy with the new motor -- spoke to some mates in the UK when I heard it was a FORD MOTOR in the white vans on mud island-- they said the guys find it extremely reliable and wouldnt expect anything under 300 000 miles from it.

The gearbox is a Getrag box with a new improved "Q" lt230 Transfer box.

The two main objectives of this new car was NVH and HEVAC.
The gearbox now has 3 bearings on the main shaft (one in the centre, as a carrier bearing as well) to remove most vibration.

The AC and heater has massive improvement (although any improvement would be massive in this area)

I also have my own TD5 D/C with 90 000 on the clock, which to this day has never given a single problem, or a cent spent on warranty -- man i love this car.

Triumph ST
Toyota 2.5 SRX

Old 12-05-08, 12:29 PM

~

Old 12-05-08, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew388 View Post
Just had an update from the LR dealer: the vacuum pump is now on back-order, as no dealer has it in stock, and should arrive in about three weeks time.
I spoke to a guy who works at Ford Motor Corporation, he is quite high up and has an idea as to what is going on in the company world wide.

According to him, the spares problem at the moment is probably due to the fact that Tata do not want to use Ford wharehousing for spares until the spares are used up, they are actually moving all the spares from Ford wharehouses to their own, this is, as can be expected, causing some logistical problems.

FYI
Old 26-05-08, 10:24 AM

~

Old 26-05-08, 08:52 PM
KevinM

Mate of mine bought one a couple of months ago and had problems with a noisy rear diff. After the dealership having it longer than he has had it he has it back with a new diff and same noise.

Off-road the vehicle is just phenominal! Drove it in soft sand in Moz and it's amazing.
Old 27-05-08, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Mate of mine bought one a couple of months ago and had problems with a noisy rear diff. After the dealership having it longer than he has had it he has it back with a new diff and same noise.
Mine also has what sounds like a noisy rear diff when coasing on a downhill, sort like a type of a droning, the dealer says it is normal, the noise has not got any worse after 16000km so I am not too concerned, not while the vehicle is under warantee anyway.
Old 23-07-08, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontuin View Post
Mine also has what sounds like a noisy rear diff when coasing on a downhill, sort like a type of a droning, the dealer says it is normal, the noise has not got any worse after 16000km so I am not too concerned, not while the vehicle is under warantee anyway.
Took my vehicle in on Monday for a 20 000km service.

They replaced the vacuum pump, did wheel alignment and balancing and used chassis ears on the diff.

I collected it this morning, it was ready yesterday, and they have ordered me a new diff, they will call me when the diff is there and it will be a days fitment.

I must say, I am pretty pleased with the service I have recieved, I was kept updated and they let me know on Monday that the vehicle would only be ready on Tuesday.

Also all the warantee work was done no questions asked, they even gave the vehicle a proper wash inside and out, not just the normal service wash and go.
Old 23-07-08, 12:03 PM

Fontuin, what did they rip you for the 20k service? My 110 needs to go in next week
Old 24-07-08, 05:41 PM

Talking

Guess nobody has used it off-road yet?

Cause then you would know the sump hits the front axle on full articulation ........ ;-)
Old 25-07-08, 10:11 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy_Man View Post
Fontuin, what did they rip you for the 20k service? My 110 needs to go in next week
Invoice reads R2680.08 inc. VAT

R1080.00 for labour.
R 120.00 for sundries.
R 362.58 for wheel alignment and balancing(requested by me)
R788.37 for spares(of which R583.24 is oil)
+ VAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey View Post

Cause then you would know the sump hits the front axle on full articulation ........ ;-)
Plenty off road, lots of articulation(to the point where wheels lift and TC has to keep me going), mine is right hand drive, last I heard that problem was specific to left hand drive vehicles.

Last edited by Fontuin; 25-07-08 at 10:14 AM.
Old 25-07-08, 10:35 AM

Default Sump on Puma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey View Post

This has been an issue with LHD Pumas. Do you personally know of any right hand drive problems with sump - front axle hitting ? I have not heard of any ....

Cheers Dave
Old 25-07-08, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretdave View Post
This has been an issue with LHD Pumas. Do you personally know of any right hand drive problems with sump - front axle hitting ? I have not heard of any ....

Cheers Dave
I haven't noticed anything on my RHD 110
Old 25-07-08, 03:21 PM

I can't see how it makes a difference, but understood that it was only the LHD ones that had this problem.

4xfagger no. GP0048

2001 Land Rover Defender 130 TD5 D/C
1970 something Land Rover Forward Control IIB camper

Old 27-07-08, 07:55 PM

Red face Defender Puma

Bought mine during May 2008, Done round trip of 5500 Km to Namibie and back. No problems with this Defender 130. I owned 7 Defender before, From the 200TDi to the TD5. Only one, thr 300Tdi gave gearbox problems at 189000 km. I did not worry about it as the vehicle was used ons a daily basis on a road construction site as well as Land survey work in mountains. Of all my Landrovers I am the most happy with the 130 Puma, We used it as a hunting vehicle in the Khomas Hochland, the 130 done very well.

Pieter Landy
Old 05-08-08, 11:13 PM

What are specs on the Puma engine ?
Old 07-08-08, 09:24 PM

I have had mine for 6 months and done just under 17,000km. No issues with it todate (had a few minor niggles which have been sorted, but nothing serious).

Get consistently around 10lt/100km but then don't push it too hard. It happily climbs most hills in 6th and rarely, if ever, do I need to change down a gear on the freeway.

Off road it is a machine and would not swop it for anything.
Old 25-09-08, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I collected it this morning, it was ready yesterday, and they have ordered me a new diff, they will call me when the diff is there and it will be a days fitment.
They replaced the diff last week, the noise is still there, the gearbox/clutch area has developed a rattle.

I took the vehicle back on Monday to have a look at the diff again, I collected it on Tuesday, they told me the diff drone was gone, it is still there, they will replace the clutch to get rid of the rattle as soon as the stock arrives next week they say, there is a bulliten out for the rattle BTW.

I am now going to take the vehicle to Centurion to see if they can diagnose the drone more effectively than what Menlyn did (can/didn't!).
Old 17-10-08, 09:43 AM

Quote:
They replaced the diff last week, the noise is still there, the gearbox/clutch area has developed a rattle.

I took the vehicle back on Monday to have a look at the diff again, I collected it on Tuesday, they told me the diff drone was gone, it is still there, they will replace the clutch to get rid of the rattle as soon as the stock arrives next week they say, there is a bulliten out for the rattle BTW.

I am now going to take the vehicle to Centurion to see if they can diagnose the drone more effectively than what Menlyn did (can/didn't!).
LR are convinced that the drone is resonance form somewhere and is not something to be concerned about, I'll agree to disagree and accept it as that, the vehicle still has 75000kms before the warantee runs out if the problem becomes worse, which it seems to be.

They replaced the rattling clutch, the gear lever is no longer spring loaded so it does not return to the middle automatically, it is also so stiff that it is dificult to change gears and I often have to skip 4th and go straight to 5th because I can't get it into 4th, the clutch takes very low now and sometimes I need to pump it to change gear. There is also a strange new humming sound imminating from the gearbox.

It was better with the rattle!

It is back an LR.

The cherry on the top is that my Freelander (2008 FL2 with 6000km on clock) has also been in the workshop for a week due to a heating/software problem that can not be resolved.

Last edited by Fontuin; 17-10-08 at 09:48 AM.
Old 20-10-08, 04:31 PM

I left the vehicle at the dealer on Thursday night, it was ready on Friday, I collected it this morning and the gear lever is back to normal.

The clutch is taking a little lower than before but it is normal and working.

The rattle is gone and the new strange sound is gone.

My vehicle is back to normal and I am a lot happier today than on Thursday evening, it would have saved everyone a lot of trouble if someone just bothered to test the vehicle before telling me it is ready.

The droning sound is still there and I still supsect it is the rear diff.

They are replaceing some temprature control unit on the Freelander and I was supposed to collect it today, I suppose I'll get it tommorrow.
Old 22-10-08, 04:43 PM

Quote:

The droning sound is still there and I still supsect it is the rear diff.
Autobox in Koedoespoort have diagnosed the droning sound as play on the splines (and bearing) of the rear propshaft, I have contacted Land Rover and they will order me a new propshaft.

It is a confirmed diagnoses because we replaced the existing shaft with a second hand Td5 shaft and the droning dissapeared completely.

The propshaft has a spline design that I have never seen before, it is a normal spline with a bearing at the end (a cylinder with steel balls embeded in it pressed on to the end of the spline).

It took Autobox half a morning to diagnose something that LR couldn't diagnose in 25000km and almost a year.
Old 01-01-09, 10:04 AM

Default Land Rover Puma

I'm operating on a private Concession in the Kruger National Park, we have 8 Land Rovers running around here in the bush and bought 2 new Pumas last year. We did the normal Game Drive conversion and exept for that they are still stock standard. We're experiancing the same problems as the rest of the guys but what blew my top was when both their cluthches went before they even reached 30 000km. I've had three oil vacuum pumps fitted to these Landies also before 30 000km were reached. As I'm in the Lodge industry I know a lot of people that uses the new(Improved) Puma. It's scary to hear the problems that the guys are experiencing with brand new Pumas. On the Td5's we're having lots of problems with diesel pumps and fuel relays.
Old 01-04-09, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Autobox in Koedoespoort have diagnosed the droning sound as play on the splines (and bearing) of the rear propshaft, I have contacted Land Rover and they will order me a new propshaft.

It is a confirmed diagnoses because we replaced the existing shaft with a second hand Td5 shaft and the droning dissapeared completely.

The propshaft has a spline design that I have never seen before, it is a normal spline with a bearing at the end (a cylinder with steel balls embeded in it pressed on to the end of the spline).

It took Autobox half a morning to diagnose something that LR couldn't diagnose in 25000km and almost a year.
I have owned my vehicle now for 38500km and a year and about 4 months, there is finally a bulliten out on what has become known as a 'grooling' sound experienced by many Puma owners.

I hope that this is the problem so that LR can sort it out, I will be going to the dealer so that they can check my vehicle tommorrow so that they can order spares to be fitted at the 40000km service if nessecary.

Just appeared on the GTR: SSM40851
Defender Front and Rear Propshaft Grease Points

Models : LD - Defender

Title: Defender Front and Rear Propshaft Grease Points

Last Modified: 30-MAR-2009 08:27

Category: Noise/ Vibration

Symptom: 703000 Vibration Concerns

Content Issue: Loose or missing front / rear propshaft grease nipples for Defender 07 MYonward vehicles.

Action: If any propshafts are identified where the grease nipples are missing, then the propshaft should be replaced. Any cases where the grease nipples are in place but loose should be torqued to 8Nm + 45degrees.

Old 23-07-09, 04:37 PM
Commercial Member: Opposite Lock Broadacres.

These were posted some time ago, so I like to ask similar questions in 2009 from LR Puma owners - more specifically the 90 as to general impression, towing capabilities, consumption and specifically any adverse reliability issues so far ?
Old 13-09-10, 01:46 PM

I will be doing a full report on the Puma 90, i.e. towing, problems, gearbox, consumption and off road abilities end of October 2010. I bought mine three months ago and she will have 20,000 Km on the clock by that time.

2 liter Milk bottle again 132 Kw
Ryno Black

Old 13-09-10, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush Boy View Post
On the Td5's we're having lots of problems with diesel pumps and fuel relays.
what is your source of diesel?
if you are running suspect commercial grade diesel or have problems with bacteria in bulk tanks, you could be shooting yourself in the foot.
do you fill from a bulk tank above ground?
many a Td5 has had damage as a result of suspect diesel.

Land Rovers never die, they simply become organ donors!

Old 14-09-10, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RynoB View Post
I will be doing a full report on the Puma 90, i.e. towing, problems, gearbox, consumption and off road abilities end of October 2010. I bought mine three months ago and she will have 20,000 Km on the clock by that time.
ryno i went past the 20 k mark couple of weeks ago

all i can say is many happy smiles, sorry miles

KTM 300 6 DAYS - vir die klippe
KTM 690 End Adv Rally - vir die sand
KTM 990 Adv - vir as swambo MOET saam

Sold : Rubicon / Defender / Ranger / Hilux (not so reliable) / Couple others too (including a Lada Niva)

Old 15-09-10, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbe View Post
ryno i went past the 20 k mark couple of weeks ago

all i can say is many happy smiles, sorry miles
Thanks Ryan, nog net een probleem opgetel, Johanna is vrek warm binne (ek dag die Defenders seel nie so goed nie) maar ek gebruik dan maar permanent die aircon.

2 liter Milk bottle again 132 Kw
Ryno Black

Old 15-09-10, 10:00 AM

sorry.
just thinking out loud!
has anyone ever had a sunroof fitted to their Defender.
"i will not leave home without my :" sunroof.
it is a blessing in the Disco. creates a nice flow of air through the cab.

Land Rovers never die, they simply become organ donors!

Old 15-09-10, 11:13 AM

Re. Fortuin...

I would want to check this myself, just to make sure...where would I find those grease nipples, I'm thinking next to the "nuckels" on the props, I'm no expert @ all, anyone perhaps have a pic?
Would not want to miss out on the oppertunity to get them replaced if they need to be...thanks...Btw, mine is a 2008

Just appeared on the GTR: SSM40851
Defender Front and Rear Propshaft Grease Points

Models : LD - Defender

Title: Defender Front and Rear Propshaft Grease Points

Last Modified: 30-MAR-2009 08:27

Category: Noise/ Vibration

Symptom: 703000 Vibration Concerns

Content Issue: Loose or missing front / rear propshaft grease nipples for Defender 07 MYonward vehicles.
Old 15-09-10, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landyluvver View Post
sorry.
just thinking out loud!
has anyone ever had a sunroof fitted to their Defender.
"i will not leave home without my :" sunroof.
it is a blessing in the Disco. creates a nice flow of air through the cab.
Sounds like a great plan Wonder how much it would cost My defender gets Hot inside , a sunroof should make a difference