logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Overland advice, reports etc

4x4Community

Overland advice, reports etc All to do with travel and overlanding, reports, advice, questions.

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-08, 02:32 PM

4X4byFAR Member
Exclamation Route from SA to Lubumbashi DRC via Botswana and Zambia

Good afternoon everyone

I need info from some of our forum members who can assist me in planning a trip to Lubumbashi DRC via Botswana and Zambia.

I started work as a HR Officer for a new Copper and Cobalt mine by the name of Mutanda Mining in the DRC and I'm planning to take my vehicle up to the DRC end of this year and I want to make it a holiday to remember for my family.

I am busy modifying my Jeep Cherokee for the trip and plan to purchase a Supra trailer later this year.

Has anyone done a similar trip in a Jeep Cherokee 3.7Ltd 2005?

If so I need advise especially from you .

If you think it's impossible or that I'm crazy please let me know - I'm always open for critism

Thanks guys

FJ CRUISER
87L Long Range Tank
Bushwacker Fender Flares

Old 03-04-08, 05:28 PM

charlatan Member

I don't know the route, but my guess would be that you will need to focus on your suspension to (A) provide more ground clearance and (B) carry more weight.

Very risky to go at it alone, in any vehicle. If you absolutely have to, then take a sat phone... but then you're a braver man than me.

2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Sport
Rubicon Express 3.5" Superflex Lift Kit | Rancho RS99009 / RS 99116 shocks | Custom Hack'nTap SYE + Double Cardan Driveshaft | RE Quick Disconnects | Unichip (164kW) | 31" Kumho KL71

Old 04-04-08, 09:36 PM

Changa Bulanga Member

Suspension, suspension, suspension.

Get your ball joints checked / replaced and carry spares. (Make sure that they've been replaced with the modified joints)

Andre

So far: ChryCo 81/4" 29 spline Rear Axle, ChroMo shafts, ARB Lockers front and rear, 4.10's, OME934/JC1A with JCXL's, TeraFlex 2" spacers and extended shackles, OME Long NitroChargers, OME Damper, 31" KL71's, FrontRunner rack, Custom SYE and HD CV shaft, OBA, Dual battery system, Changa Sliders, Front and Rear Bumpers and tyre carrier.
Coming soon: Underbody armour, OTK steering, HD Trackbar and a few other bits...

Old 05-04-08, 12:43 AM

luangwablondes Member
Default Map Studio map

From the attached mapstudio map, it might be paved the whole way. Then it would be more like a few potholes to deal with.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Lumbumbashi RD.doc (81.5 KB, 326 views)
Old 05-04-08, 07:03 AM

Changa Bulanga Member

Checked with my parents, they did it last year - Yup, mostly tar. BUT they destroyed the suspension on two Conqueror off road caravans on these "tar" roads. Both were so severely damaged that they had to be left behind. (Conqueror later replaced them)

I also assume you will want to venture off the main drag a bit.

Andre

So far: ChryCo 81/4" 29 spline Rear Axle, ChroMo shafts, ARB Lockers front and rear, 4.10's, OME934/JC1A with JCXL's, TeraFlex 2" spacers and extended shackles, OME Long NitroChargers, OME Damper, 31" KL71's, FrontRunner rack, Custom SYE and HD CV shaft, OBA, Dual battery system, Changa Sliders, Front and Rear Bumpers and tyre carrier.
Coming soon: Underbody armour, OTK steering, HD Trackbar and a few other bits...

Last edited by Changa Bulanga; 05-04-08 at 07:22 AM.
Old 05-04-08, 12:03 PM

4X4byFAR Member
Default Route from SA to Lubumbashi DRC via Botswana and Zambia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changa Bulanga View Post
Suspension, suspension, suspension.

Get your ball joints checked / replaced and carry spares. (Make sure that they've been replaced with the modified joints)

Andre
Are these specific modified joints? If so where can I get hold of them? I saw an article in the latest SA 4X4 about a guy and his Cherokee 2003? model experiencing a ball joint failure in the bush with a pride of lions keeping them company and busy. He mentioned some company or person in Klerksdorp that helped him?

My suspension will get serious upgrade as with bumper, winch etc and plan to purchase a Supra Conq trailer to go with.

FJ CRUISER
87L Long Range Tank
Bushwacker Fender Flares

Old 05-04-08, 03:40 PM

Biggles Member

I worked in the DRC for a while and the border crossing from Zambia to DRC close to Lubumbashi... the name escapes me at the moment, is horrendous. I did this crossing with the help of permanent company agents that try get urgent trucks to jump the several day que at the crossing so it was fairly smooth for me.

Do your homework or maybe try another border crossing.

some tips, plan trip for dry season, focus more on tough suspension than flex... your vehicle is going to take a beating... sat phone is a must... and enjoy yourself. I always wanted to do that trip while i worked in DRC but never got around to it.

If you have a vehicle in DRC you are home free. The situation has really calmed down there and driving in the bush is a pleasure. From Lubumbashi there is the road to Kilwa that is being fixed up and should be a reasonable surface (dirt pot, pot holed compared to the impassable in rainy season route it is now) by the end of next dry season. From kilwa you can drive to Pweto witch is a less than fantastic road but being fixed up at the moment by some NGOs. Good news is all the bridges are working and the pontoon at Pweto is in good nick. From Pweto you can nip back into Zambia. North of Pweto is still dodgy. If you are really lucky you could maybe get a lift on the Barge operated by Anvil Mining from Kilwa to nchelenge on the Zambian side of Lac Mweru/Moero.

Then once you have a vehicle there you can drive by good roads to Kenya, Tanzania, Milawi...

If you are really adventourous I can try and dig up my GPS tracks for my exploration roads... prepare to get stuck... I am not a good road builder

Good luck and enjoy.

P.S. DRC has a grand total of 100km of tared road in total... or something like that...

Platkar:2002 BMW M5, 2002 M Coupe and 1985 635csi
SWAMBO: BMW X5 3.0D
Talk softly, carry a BIG stick
Ex: Jeep Cherokee XJ 2.5Td

Last edited by Biggles; 05-04-08 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-04-08, 07:17 PM

4X4byFAR Member

Thanks Biggles - I will take your advice to heart and investigate fully before making the trip.

FJ CRUISER
87L Long Range Tank
Bushwacker Fender Flares

Closed Thread