logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Vehicle & Technical Chat > Mitsubishi

4x4Community

Mitsubishi Spirited cars for spirited people!

Old 19-10-13, 11:01 AM

Default 2000 Pajero 3.5 heavy on fuel - advice needed

Hi guys, a few weeks ago I bought a 2000 Pajero 3.5 LWB with 195 000km, full service history but it is rather heavy on fuel. My other SUV gets about 7km/l, so I used to "heavy on fuel" cars and I was hoping that the 3.5L Pajero would get at least 6km/l, but the onboard computer shows 21.5L/100km - 4.65km/l (but I know not to trust that completely) and when I do my own calculations after filling up I get 5.3km/l. This is just town driving but I seriously nurse the car like an old lady and I'm easy on the pedal. I don't expect to win fuel economy runs, but 5km/l is gonna kill me on long trips.

Any advice on improving the consumption? Some say to chip it, but others say it will make no difference on a heavy 3.5L V6. They say chips are more for smaller engines. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 19-10-13, 11:11 AM

Hi. I looked into that Pajero and the Prado of the same year. My friend's dad bought a '98 Prado. He gets 5km/l. And the fuel consumption is about the same for those vehicles. Don't think you can complain about what you are getting. Maybe you'll get better consumption if you strip the car and make it lighter
Old 19-10-13, 11:18 AM

Thats about normal for town driving. On highway trips driving 120 you can expect around 7. The best i could ever get with mine was when I just got it, just under 9km/l to Klerksdorp but it was still stock standard and i was nursing it along at 100 km/h.

I don't know if a chip is worth it on a petrol, maybe on a diesel. But if you do put one in, please report your findings!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Derik

2013 Ford Figo TDCi

ORRA VHF Call Sign: B78
Old 19-10-13, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr0ne View Post
Thats about normal for town driving. On highway trips driving 120 you can expect around 7. The best i could ever get with mine was when I just got it, just under 9km/l to Klerksdorp but it was still stock standard and i was nursing it along at 100 km/h.

I don't know if a chip is worth it on a petrol, maybe on a diesel. But if you do put one in, please report your findings!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
I'll test it on the long road in Dec but if I can get 7km/l on open road I will be smiling all the way!! I read in another post to check the water and air temp sensors, spark plugs and air filter. I think by checking and/or replacing some of these might be worth it - even if I can only gain 1km/l.

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ght=pajero+gas
Old 19-10-13, 01:35 PM

Get your vehicle analyzed on a 5 gas analyzer. You need to see what are the mixtures and how this vehicle is burning the fuel.

These motors actually tend to run quite lean, and have the opposite desired effect, that they then become very heavy on fuel.

This analyses will tell you this, if the vehicle is also sucking air and so forth.

You can have this corrected if it is out.

Make sure the correct spark plugs are in this vehicle. I have had many come to me with the wrong heat range plugs. Use the PLATINUM Tip plugs, then you can forget about them for about 80 - 100 000km.

The obvious checks would be the air filter and fuel filter and all is clean and no leaks and so forth. Please don't chip it, if you not going to get to the route cause, you will not get it right, you will just make it worse.

Then see from there...

2002 Colt, 2.8 tdi Rodeo, 4x4, ARB Bull Bar, Excalliber Running Boards, Monroe Gas Magnum Shocks, Cooper AT3's, Excel 53l long range tank, National Luna Dual Battery System, Campmaster 80l Fridge/Freezer Combo, FrontRunner Fridge slide and Bin Slide, Alpha Gte Canopy with FrontRunner Roof Rack and Homemade Awning...[SIGPIC] Pulling a Caravan sometimes

Last edited by Haydn; 19-10-13 at 01:41 PM.
Old 20-01-14, 05:07 PM

I bought a 2000 pajero gen 3 a few months ago and asked for some advice on the heavy fuel consumption. I've only used it for taking kids to school and got 5.3km/l. Well I'm pleased to announce that on my first long(ish) trip(1300km) I got an average of 7.2km/l, loaded with camping gear and the family. Averaged about 110km/h.

I'm very pleased with my old "trok"!
Old 20-01-14, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
Get your vehicle analyzed on a 5 gas analyzer. You need to see what are the mixtures and how this vehicle is burning the fuel.

These motors actually tend to run quite lean, and have the opposite desired effect, that they then become very heavy on fuel.

This analyses will tell you this, if the vehicle is also sucking air and so forth.

You can have this corrected if it is out.

Make sure the correct spark plugs are in this vehicle. I have had many come to me with the wrong heat range plugs. Use the PLATINUM Tip plugs, then you can forget about them for about 80 - 100 000km.

The obvious checks would be the air filter and fuel filter and all is clean and no leaks and so forth. Please don't chip it, if you not going to get to the route cause, you will not get it right, you will just make it worse.

Then see from there...
I wonder where one can get this done in Klerksdorp, on a side note with my 3.8 I get about 12l/100km at 125km/h, But yeah in town it gulps petrol.

Dastek UniChip
MAXE Nudge bar with Warn Spotlights
Front and rear bash plates
Stofpad lift spacers
265/65R17 Achilles Desert Hawk H/T

Old 20-01-14, 05:24 PM

What size tires do you have and type H/T, A/T or M/T?

How many members in family in car on regular basis.

Extras on the vehicle: eg..Permanent drawer system, Dual battery, Roof Rack, Underbelly protection, Rock sliders?

Mine gives me 6+ bit in town & 7+ on open road.

Gas analysis might show other little indians in concert.
Old 20-01-14, 07:36 PM

When I had my pajero I used to get roughly 16l/100km combined cycle, but when I hitched the caravan (Jurgens Classique), then 600km on 135 litre fuel

Defender on Steroid's
Previous: Pajero 3.5 V6 (Gas Guzzler)
Series 3 109 SW (Tortoise)
Platkar Ford Fiesta 1.6tdi (Swambo's present)

Old 20-01-14, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunsb View Post
What size tires do you have and type H/T, A/T or M/T?

How many members in family in car on regular basis.

Extras on the vehicle: eg..Permanent drawer system, Dual battery, Roof Rack, Underbelly protection, Rock sliders?

Mine gives me 6+ bit in town & 7+ on open road.

Gas analysis might show other little indians in concert.
Standard size Michelin LTX A/T, lift kit, ARB front bumper with winch, me, wife and 2 small kids. I don't think 5.3km/l in town is too bad for such an old, heavy, 3.5 v6 and 7.2km/l average on a holiday is fine with me. I'll maybe do the gas analysis with the next service just in case.
Old 21-01-14, 07:14 AM

I bought a Suzuki Jimny with 60 000km on, and I only put a freeflow system on and removed the cats, made a huge differance, imagine on a engine your size.

Freeflow exhaust (remove cats), chip with a dyno, and after that I'll do what the others say.

Cheers.

'07 Pajero Gen4 3.8v6 SWB - EXPIRED

Old 21-01-14, 09:22 AM

I had similar figures, chipped it and pushed up to an overall 7,5 Km/l on average. The chip does work but you need to do some calculations between the cost of the chip and saved fuel, it's hardly worth it. Spark plugs (as mentioned) and general service is very important. Put in the long life plugs (I forget the name etc) but to change plugs is a real pain in the rear so do them once properly with the long life one's. Keep it well maintained, bite the bullet with consumption and enjoy one of the best 4x4's ever made.

Four Wheel Drive Club of SA
Garden Route Division
A proud member of AAWDC
A Proud member of SCROF (Southern Cape Route Owners Forum) see our website at www.4x4ineden.co.za

Old 22-01-14, 03:29 PM

No change chipped, I tried everything with no luck, bought the 3.2 diesel at the end
Old 23-01-14, 07:28 PM

I've also been fiddling, trying to get the consumption down. She came with a free flow already.

Ive tried:

Driving with a heavy foot
Driving with a light foot
Changed plugs (long lifes)
Oil and oil filter change
Air filter change
Fuel filter change
NF 3 in 1 Petrol cleaner
Valve Ease (a few tanks in a row)
Long road & town driving
Laden & unladen

No matter WHAT I do, it stays between 7.2 and 7.6km/l

Where can one have this 5 gas analysis done in Pretoria and what does it cost?

2005 Mitsubishi Colt Rode Xtreme 3.0l V6 4x4 D/C

Old 23-01-14, 07:35 PM

Have you tried cleaning the MAF sensor with electric cleaner? Chip is bit expensive, maybe freeflow pipe would beneffit as some suggest - not sure how much improvement, but apparently it gives a little fuel saving & more low down power...

Old 23-01-14, 07:55 PM

As mentioned, she already had a free flow when I bought her so that's already done.

I have more power than I know what to do with, so a chip is pretty low on my list for now, I'm sure there's another cause.

I've read about guys cleaning the MAF sensor but reluctant to try it - I've heard it can damage it and a new one is pricey - your experience? And can u elaborate on what "electronic cleaner" is?

Thanks

Old 23-01-14, 08:30 PM

You can only damage the MAF if you drop it or touch the thin wires on the inside, quite easy to do. Ask for "electric cleaner" at your local autoshop, they should be able to sort you out with a can. Just spray on & let it dry, it basically just remove the dirt & the sensor should function properly again.

Old 23-01-14, 08:34 PM

Hmmm, dunno, consumption figures in this thread are par for the course. A very good friend has a '98 V6 3000 SWB. Amazing vehicle, goes anywhere...but driven decently it's 6km/l, end of story.

• Ford Ranger T6: daily driver and outdoor enjoyment enhancement device
  • Suzuki DL650 V-Strom: commuter and exploration ride
  • Honda EU30i: Defender against the prince of darkness (ESKOM)
Old 23-01-14, 08:39 PM

I've read about a few guys on various forums with the same model as mine (2005 Colt 3l v6) reporting avg 9km/l... I guess it's luck of the draw :P

Old 24-01-14, 01:51 AM

I have been averaging 14l/100km in the 2 years I had mine. I also have a slightly larger tyre. Most of the info I have read on the Pajero Forum in victoria is that free flow and chips are a waste of money on these vehicles. If your average is high, clean the MAF near the airbox, clean the throttle body and also check your O2 sensor just before the CAT. O2 sensor should be replaced about every 100,000km along with your platinum spark plugs.

Old 24-01-14, 08:44 AM

My 3.8's computer shows an average of 18.5km/l but thats with 3.3% bigger tyres than standard. Should I then work on an average of 17.9km/l due to the bigger tyres? Does the speedo work off the gearbox or wheels?
I haven't really seen a difference in consuption between traffic and the open road.

Old 24-01-14, 09:10 AM

I borrowed a 3500 V6 for these past holidays after letting go my Hilux, and loved the car but also was worried about the fuel consumption after prelim fill ups saw the consumption being similar to yours.

Spoke with a friend who has: a)Got the same Pajero, and b) chipped a (petrol) Jeep and blew the engine on a trip to Botswana.

His fuel economy improved dramatically after changing fuel filter, air filter, correct plugs and fixing the timing etc etc.
And as for chipping, just stay far far away. The engine blew as a result of the chipping, (claims that too much power was being delivered etc) and not worth the replacement of the engine etc.

Anyway, not sure that this helps...

Old 26-01-14, 09:53 AM

haai if one remove the cats what do you do with the sencors??
Old 26-01-14, 11:07 AM

Default 2000 Pajero 3.5 heavy on fuel - advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakazi View Post
You can only damage the MAF if you drop it or touch the thin wires on the inside, quite easy to do. Ask for "electric cleaner" at your local autoshop, they should be able to sort you out with a can. Just spray on & let it dry, it basically just remove the dirt & the sensor should function properly again.

Only use MAF cleaner.
Not contact cleaner or brake cleaner.

http://www.ehow.com/video_5225929_ma...ensor-bad.html

Last edited by gerhardperth; 26-01-14 at 11:25 AM.