logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Vehicle & Technical Chat > Mitsubishi

4x4Community

Mitsubishi Spirited cars for spirited people!

Old 11-09-13, 12:32 PM

Dirtrider24 Member
Default Pajero 4x4 lights/gearbox advice

Hi guys! I'm always just checking the site for advice and info but today I'm gonna ask some advice.

I know this topic has been chatted about many times but I'd like to know what you guys who has been through this problem think. I'm interested in buying a 2000 Pajero 3.5 auto LWB Gen 3 with 195 000km with full service history and its in great shape. The only thing is the 4x4 selection lights and difflock light that sometimes keep flashing when engaging 4x4 and sometimes don't(works fine) - I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, seems to be a common problem. From what I've read is that it is usually the switches, actuator, vacuum pipes or a combination. I phoned Mitsubishi and they confirmed that 9/10 times its the problem. Considering I can get the Pajero for only R60 000, I'm willing to pay a few thousand to replace the switches and clean the pipes and grease the actuator, but its gonna be a gamble as to what exactly is faulty. I don't want to recon or replace the gearbox or transfer case.

From your experience, is it worth taking a gamble and going through the mission and costs to fix the "smallish" problem to get the car in perfect condition or should I stay away?
Old 11-09-13, 12:40 PM

KurtG Member

Is there any way you can have the car assessed before you purchase so that you know what the real issue is?

4x4AG 0110

Old 11-09-13, 01:03 PM

Dirtrider24 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtG View Post
Is there any way you can have the car assessed before you purchase so that you know what the real issue is?
Unfortunately not. Its from a wholesaler that supplies dealerships. You see it, you like it, you buy it. Thats why the price is not to bad.
Old 11-09-13, 05:35 PM

Haydn Member

Replace the two switches on the back of the gearbox and the one on the front diff. All in all it will cost you about R1200.

Then replace the two front vacuum switches, under the bonnet, below the air filter. They about R700. Then nothing will go wrong or let you down in that department.

2002 Colt, 2.8 tdi Rodeo, 4x4, ARB Bull Bar, Excalliber Running Boards, Monroe Gas Magnum Shocks, Cooper AT3's, Excel 53l long range tank, National Luna Dual Battery System, Campmaster 80l Fridge/Freezer Combo, FrontRunner Fridge slide and Bin Slide, Alpha Gte Canopy with FrontRunner Roof Rack and Homemade Awning...[SIGPIC] Pulling a Caravan sometimes

Old 12-09-13, 08:41 AM

Dirtrider24 Member

Does anyone know of a good Mitsubishi mechanic in Pretoria? I'd like to speak to someone that has knowledge of this repair because the dealers say I have to change all 6 switches on the transfer case because you dont know which one is faulty and to drop the case and to replace only two and to find out afterwards it wasn't those two and to do the whole job again to replace the others is gonna be costly.

Anyone know a Mitsubishi mechanic in PTA?
Old 12-09-13, 08:46 AM

pblaauw Member

You have a PM

Apparently I need to make the airplane noises like mommy does when I try to spoon feed you the info..

Old 12-09-13, 09:50 AM

Haydn Member

1. You do not need to drop the transfer case.

2. Its the two switches on the very back at the top of the transfer box, they are difficult to get to, but I have done it plenty of times.

Transfer Switch 4x4 Part number MB811554

Switch Transfer Hi/Low Detection. MB 886426

These switches will tell the ECU if you in 4x4 or not.

And this switch on the front diff.

Front Diff Engage Switch Part number MB176697, this will cause the front two lights to flash continously, even when out of 4x4.

If the lights still flash after changing these switches, then the two vacuum switches under the air filter. Change this one as a last resort, as it is the most expensive.

I do have knowledge of these vehicles as I change these switches all the time...

2002 Colt, 2.8 tdi Rodeo, 4x4, ARB Bull Bar, Excalliber Running Boards, Monroe Gas Magnum Shocks, Cooper AT3's, Excel 53l long range tank, National Luna Dual Battery System, Campmaster 80l Fridge/Freezer Combo, FrontRunner Fridge slide and Bin Slide, Alpha Gte Canopy with FrontRunner Roof Rack and Homemade Awning...[SIGPIC] Pulling a Caravan sometimes

Last edited by Haydn; 12-09-13 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-09-13, 11:20 AM

Dirtrider24 Member

Thanx for the info guys! I've spoken to Henk that works on Pajeros and he confirmed that it will most probably be the switches. I've decided to take a change and take the Pajero for R60k and spend a few thousand to replace the switches and service the whole 4x4 selection system so I dont have problems in the future. Picking it up tomorrow - very excited! Just hold thumbs that its the only problem! Will keep you guys posted.
Old 13-09-13, 06:55 AM

brennain Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydn View Post

I do have knowledge of these vehicles as I change these switches all the time...
Yes he has he did it on my colt and he's about to do it again on my new Pajero! (at least I hope that's all the problem is!)

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4

2000 Gen2.5 V6 Pajero

Old 13-09-13, 07:10 AM

sakush Member

also had a problem with mine, center diff light on after 25km,
then eventually nothing seem to be working, as soon as I went from 2wd to 4wd the lights started flashing.
changed the vacuum solonoid switch in engine bay. All sorted now, luckily did not have to do switches on gearbox itself

4x4 Action Group 002
Disco 4 SDV6SE
Metalian Maxi

Old 16-09-13, 02:24 PM

Mort Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtrider24 View Post
Thanx for the info guys! I've spoken to Henk that works on Pajeros and he confirmed that it will most probably be the switches. I've decided to take a change and take the Pajero for R60k and spend a few thousand to replace the switches and service the whole 4x4 selection system so I dont have problems in the future. Picking it up tomorrow - very excited! Just hold thumbs that its the only problem! Will keep you guys posted.
So what's the verdict? Have you got the vehicle? Sorted out the problem?

Also, you wouldnt happen to have any contact info for that supplier would you?