logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Vehicle & Technical Chat > Toyota

4x4Community

Toyota Lead the way!

Old 22-01-08, 10:48 PM

Default Reset timing belt light?

The hilux has reached 150 000km!

And to celebrate, the timing belt light came on. You can call me a p!ssie, but THAT belt was changed at 100k! And will be changed again at 200k!

Now, how do I reset the light? think someone once said I should take the speedo out...and then? Turn the clock back
Old 23-01-08, 08:00 AM
Beans

Next to the light is a small hole to reset it. Stick a paperclip through the hole to reset it
Old 23-01-08, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans View Post
Next to the light is a small hole to reset it. Stick a paperclip through the hole to reset it

Is this after removing the speedo, or can it be done with the truck in one piece?
Old 24-01-08, 01:36 PM

There is a little rubber grommet on the speedo cluster glass, next to the trip meter reset button. Remove the rubber grommet and push the button on the cluster with a paper clip. No need to remove the dashboard.

ex 2002 Lada Niva
2012 Momsen 29'er (MTB)

Old 25-01-08, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawid View Post
There is a little rubber grommet on the speedo cluster glass, next to the trip meter reset button. Remove the rubber grommet and push the button on the cluster with a paper clip. No need to remove the dashboard.
Nope! Not on my truck! No grommet, no hole!

So, is this then out with the speedo?
Old 16-11-08, 02:07 PM

Default Resetting Timing Light

The timing light does come on at 150k kms. The way to reset it is to remove the cluster from the car, place it facedown on a cloth to prevent damage to it and remove the screw from the timing belt screw hole and install it in the adjacent screw hole.

This is not that difficult, the cluster is removed fairly easily, when you look at the cluster from the back, the timing belt screw holes are at the top, just left of center.

I've done this myself and it takes about 30min. Dealers also do this, but they charge you for labour.
Old 19-11-08, 08:22 AM

Reset mine last night after reading this post. I was surprised how easy it turned out to be for something I have been putting off for some time. Most other forumss talk about an hour or two and fiddling to get the speedo cable back etc. Did not even have to take the cluster completely out to change the screw to the other hole. Just half flipped it over.

Biggest surprise was that there is no speedo cable attached to the back of the instrument cluster - all electronic but still with an old fashioned dial up front.

Thanks for the good advice.

Old 24-07-09, 09:15 AM
hornet

Default pls help if possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinri View Post
The timing light does come on at 150k kms. The way to reset it is to remove the cluster from the car, place it facedown on a cloth to prevent damage to it and remove the screw from the timing belt screw hole and install it in the adjacent screw hole.

This is not that difficult, the cluster is removed fairly easily, when you look at the cluster from the back, the timing belt screw holes are at the top, just left of center.

I've done this myself and it takes about 30min. Dealers also do this, but they charge you for labour.
I hope you can help me, after replacing the timing belt, tensioner & idler on my 2001 Raider KZTE last weekend, i still have the problem of resetting the timing belt warning light. I need to know how to remove the instrument cluster. I read your post about this "fairly easy" simple procedure. I have tried searching in various manuals & on the internet for procedures to do this, but find almost nothing. I am pretty reluctant to undertake this task without knowing exactly what i'll encounter. There are only 2 visible screws above the rev-counter & speedometer - when these are removed . .what then . .? Could somebody perhaps send me some pictures, or an excerpt from a manual explaining this? How exactly do i remove the cluster?
Regards

Last edited by hornet; 24-07-09 at 12:41 PM. Reason: added important info
Old 19-08-09, 09:25 AM

Default Reset timing belt light at 150000 km - Toyota Condor

I own a Toyota Condor 3L diesel which also did 150 000 km when the warning light of the timing belt came on. When I received it after the 150 000 km service with the agents here in PE, where they replaced the timing belt, and supposedly reset the warning light, my radio did not work properly. The motion censor that was fitted just below the radio also don't work. When I went back to complain, I was told that they had to take out the whole dashboard to reset the light and the radio was obviously broken in this process. If it is such an easy procedure on the Toyota bakkies, surely doing it on a Condor must also be a straight forward procedure where you don't have to take the whole dashboard apart. Can anybody please give me some advice on this please?

Thanks
Ockert
Old 19-08-09, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ockert View Post
I own a Toyota Condor 3L diesel which also did 150 000 km when the warning light of the timing belt came on. When I received it after the 150 000 km service with the agents here in PE, where they replaced the timing belt, and supposedly reset the warning light, my radio did not work properly. The motion censor that was fitted just below the radio also don't work. When I went back to complain, I was told that they had to take out the whole dashboard to reset the light and the radio was obviously broken in this process. If it is such an easy procedure on the Toyota bakkies, surely doing it on a Condor must also be a straight forward procedure where you don't have to take the whole dashboard apart. Can anybody please give me some advice on this please?

Thanks
Ockert
Don't know the Condor, but it sounds like Deja Moo!!!

Why would you take out the complete dash board to remove the speedo cluster

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Old 20-08-09, 09:33 AM
hornet

Default toyota timing belt light reset

Good luck with your Condor. I recently had to reset the timing belt warning light on my KZTE Raider double-cab & YES .. it involves removing the dashboard trim from around the instrument cluster as well as around the heater, radio and airvents. The entire instrument cluster needs to be removed and the reset screw on the back of the instrument cluster needs to be moved to its new position.. Its a job - but i guess it has to be done !