logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > The 4x4 Pub

4x4Community

The 4x4 Pub Off topic chat area, from the latest to IT questions may be posted here. Please keep it clean and family orientated, or your post WILL be deleted.
Joke and funny picture threads are not welcomed, and will be removed without notice.

Old 12-02-13, 06:44 PM

Default Need a good ADSL deal

What is the current "best deal" around?

I am currently running a 3G setup and its just not enough for me.

I need a large cap / uncapped. Shaped is ok...

Obviously looking for the best bang for my buck...

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-02-13, 07:00 PM

Don't know what is the best deal but webafrica is good enough for me: 5G, 4 off peak and 1 peak time at R229/month

'98 Isuzu 280 DT D/C 4x4, home made roof rack
'09 VW Caddy Maxi TDi
'06 Citroen C3 1.4HDi

Old 12-02-13, 07:07 PM

I pay about R700 for 4mb uncapped ADSL with Afrihost, including managing Telkom's ADSL line.

Line speed is acceptable, and have had no downtime in about 4 months since signing

Keep it Safe
Deon

Mine: GP0053
SWAMBO: GP0218

2008 Disco 3 TDV6 SE - 2013 TDV6 Motor, Disco-East Lift Rods, FrontRunner RoofRack, Draw System, LED Spots, de-catted, EGR blanked, Cooper AT3's. The Orange has Started - More to Follow...Will be building this one up slower than the D2.
SWAMBO: 2012 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Trend
2005 Jurgens Explorer

Past:
SWAMBO's - 2002 Pajero 3.2 DID SWB Auto Mrs RELIABLE!!!
2003 Disco II TD5 XS - Had to upgrade back to a 3.
2007 Disco 3 TDV6 - Written off by ... well ....Me... actually.
2005 Freelander TD4 still not sure why I bought that.
Old 12-02-13, 07:08 PM

I needed to get connectivity at home, wife decided on iPhone, son was grumpy and never home because 3G connectivity for online gaming was edge all the time. So for line installation, plus adsl / wifi modem, line rental, free land line national calls from 7pm to 7am and free calls over the weekend is R399 pm. You can get better deals, but the line installation and modem costs were going to all be costly, plus the free calls is a bonus. Got a 5GB cap and it seems to be working out well. They include a 8eita modem with 500mb. Shop around considering if you already have a line....

I will drive a Land Rover again...

Old 12-02-13, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeonvanderMerwe View Post
I pay about R700 for 4mb uncapped ADSL with Afrihost, including managing Telkom's ADSL line.

Line speed is acceptable, and have had no downtime in about 4 months since signing
Doesnt Sound too bad... might be a bit steep for me. Thanks, Deon!
Old 12-02-13, 07:09 PM

I use the 10 gig promo from 8ta for R199.00 its 3 G, but in a wireless router I bought from them for R1000, Not exceptionally fast, but works well and I dont have to worry about land lines.
If you need more and dont sleep you can add on another 10G to use between midnight and 5am, costs an extra R100 per month.
Both on 24 month contracts
Old 12-02-13, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjayDisco View Post
I needed to get connectivity at home, wife decided on iPhone, son was grumpy and never home because 3G connectivity for online gaming was edge all the time. So for line installation, plus adsl / wifi modem, line rental, free land line national calls from 7pm to 7am and free calls over the weekend is R399 pm. You can get better deals, but the line installation and modem costs were going to all be costly, plus the free calls is a bonus. Got a 5GB cap and it seems to be working out well. They include a 8eita modem with 500mb. Shop around considering if you already have a line....
Been seeing this special running and seems to be okay. I'll just have to have more than 5GB...
Old 12-02-13, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble View Post
I use the 10 gig promo from 8ta for R199.00 its 3 G, but in a wireless router I bought from them for R1000, Not exceptionally fast, but works well and I dont have to worry about land lines.
If you need more and dont sleep you can add on another 10G to use between midnight and 5am, costs an extra R100 per month.
Both on 24 month contracts
Also looked at this but there is no 8ta 3G signal in Port Alfred...
Old 12-02-13, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimnyJuan View Post
Been seeing this special running and seems to be okay. I'll just have to have more than 5GB...
They have a 10gb option and these have faster adsl options. It depends on the situation I guess. Hence I said shop around but I don't think it was a bad deal considering my requirements. Touch wood I haven't had problems and speed has been very acceptable, this all depends mainly on connection to nearest exchange.

I will drive a Land Rover again...

Old 12-02-13, 08:44 PM

I'm currently on a 1MB uncapped product from Cybersmart, with Cybersmart handling my ADSL line (cheaper that way) and on a Telkom Closer 2 plan. This gives me free Telkom to Telkom calls after 7pm. I know less and less people have Telkom numbers, but think about it. It's only about R50 more than the plain line rental, which you have to pay anyway.

Telkom closer 2 plan R185 p/m
1MB ADSL Uncapped line and Account R297 p/m

So basically I have an uncapped 1MB line for R482 p/m.

You can get much the same deal from many other providers. Afrihost for R297 and Mweb for R339 I think if I remember correctly. I have used both, and will be returning to Mweb I think before the end of the month as I am having speed issues on Cybersmart.

1MB is not lightning fast, but more than enough for browsing, e-mail and youtube streaming. I don't do much heavy downloading, but usually get download speeds of over 100Kb/s then.

Remember that most of these are available as month to month contracts. You can have Telkom manage your ADSL line for a month or two, and you can jump from one ISP to another (if you feel so inclined) until you settle on one that works. If you then want to have them manage your ADSL line you can do it. It makes sense as if Telkom manages your line it actually costs you much more per month.

Good luck!

At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box - Italian Proverb

Old 12-02-13, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk View Post
I'm currently on a 1MB uncapped product from Cybersmart, with Cybersmart handling my ADSL line (cheaper that way) and on a Telkom Closer 2 plan. This gives me free Telkom to Telkom calls after 7pm. I know less and less people have Telkom numbers, but think about it. It's only about R50 more than the plain line rental, which you have to pay anyway.

Telkom closer 2 plan R185 p/m
1MB ADSL Uncapped line and Account R297 p/m

So basically I have an uncapped 1MB line for R482 p/m.

You can get much the same deal from many other providers. Afrihost for R297 and Mweb for R339 I think if I remember correctly. I have used both, and will be returning to Mweb I think before the end of the month as I am having speed issues on Cybersmart.

1MB is not lightning fast, but more than enough for browsing, e-mail and youtube streaming. I don't do much heavy downloading, but usually get download speeds of over 100Kb/s then.

Remember that most of these are available as month to month contracts. You can have Telkom manage your ADSL line for a month or two, and you can jump from one ISP to another (if you feel so inclined) until you settle on one that works. If you then want to have them manage your ADSL line you can do it. It makes sense as if Telkom manages your line it actually costs you much more per month.

Good luck!
Thank you, This sounds like a good way to go about it!
Old 12-02-13, 08:56 PM

I'm with SAOL on a 1mb line 2Gb bundle + R29/Gb top up (they give you a gig for every gig you top up too) for R149pm including the line rental.

I don't use a lot, so paying extra for uncapped at this stage does not make sense.

Old 12-02-13, 09:30 PM

mweb have a 1meg line , uncapped for R219 a month. Shaped during the day only.
Old 12-02-13, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovel View Post
mweb have a 1meg line , uncapped for R219 a month. Shaped during the day only.

+1. I also have this option. Very nice deal. No problems on amount of data usage per month. (Believe me, I have used ALLOT for 3 months in a row, but no problems, except running out of hard drive space)

Old 12-02-13, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Schäfer View Post
I'm with SAOL on a 1mb line 2Gb bundle + R29/Gb top up (they give you a gig for every gig you top up too) for R149pm including the line rental.

I don't use a lot, so paying extra for uncapped at this stage does not make sense.

Is this shaped or not shaped? And is the gig you get free with top up anytime during the day, or like night owl data?

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Tapatalk 2

Third 4x4: 2013 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D 4x4 Manual

Second 4x4: 2010 Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 Manual 4x4 Double Cab

First 4x4: 2010 Nissan NP300 Hardbody 2.4 4x4 D/C

Old 12-02-13, 10:30 PM

How would the speed of rhe SAOL 1mb line compare to the speed of Vodacom 3G on HSDPA? I see they offer 10gb cap on a 12 month contract on a 1mb line for R165 per month, incl line rental.

Old 12-02-13, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmat1985 View Post
How would the speed of rhe SAOL 1mb line compare to the speed of Vodacom 3G on HSDPA? I see they offer 10gb cap on a 12 month contract on a 1mb line for R165 per month, incl line rental.

In terms of throughput, HSDPA thumps 1MB/s ADSL, but you might find latency pretty similar. This pretty much rules out any sort of gaming if that is what you want.

Remember all the ISP's slashed their uncapped offerings earlier this month, so hunt around. Telkom's deal was the best in the market, for about a day.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

4WDCSA-WC, Pajero Club

Old 12-02-13, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
In terms of throughput, HSDPA thumps 1MB/s ADSL, but you might find latency pretty similar. This pretty much rules out any sort of gaming if that is what you want.

Remember all the ISP's slashed their uncapped offerings earlier this month, so hunt around. Telkom's deal was the best in the market, for about a day.
So would an upto 2mb or upto 10mb line be a much better option?

Old 12-02-13, 10:59 PM

If your paying more than a few hundred rand for uncapped adsl your being ripped off.
Contact mweb.
Old 12-02-13, 11:28 PM

Quote:
If your paying more than a few hundred rand for uncapped adsl your being ripped off.
Contact mweb.
What is a few hundred rand? R300? R900? What speed?

4WDCSA-WC, Pajero Club

Old 12-02-13, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Contact mweb.
That depends on contention rate. At a good rate R2500 is a good price. As in many things you get what you pay for.

Keep it Safe
Deon

2008 Disco 3 TDV6 SE - 2013 TDV6 Motor, Disco-East Lift Rods, FrontRunner RoofRack, Draw System, LED Spots, de-catted, EGR blanked, Cooper AT3's. The Orange has Started - More to Follow...Will be building this one up slower than the D2.
2005 Jurgens Explorer

Past:
Old 13-02-13, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeonvanderMerwe View Post
That depends on contention rate. At a good rate R2500 is a good price. As in many things you get what you pay for.
Contention rate (I presume you mean ratio)? We're talking consumer ADSL here - not business. For the average ADSL user contention ratio is irrelevant. In any case the cost associated with business ADSL is for uptime and redundancy, not contention ratio

4WDCSA-WC, Pajero Club

Last edited by SimonB; 13-02-13 at 12:11 AM.
Old 13-02-13, 06:52 AM

Quote:
So would an upto 2mb or upto 10mb line be a much better option?

2 things to keep in mind:

1.) Not all exchanges support 10MB
2.) Quite a big difference between 2 and 10 with regards to price.

Depends on what you are gonna do with the line.

At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box - Italian Proverb

Old 13-02-13, 07:20 AM

Mweb uncapped 4mb ADSL.

4x2 VW Buggy - 1962 Chassis and gearbox, 1972 engine
2012 Suzuki Jimny - Suki. ジムニSOLD
2012 Suzuki VStrom 650 ABS

Old 13-02-13, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Is this shaped or not shaped? And is the gig you get free with top up anytime during the day, or like night owl data?
It is unshaped and there is no restriction as to when/ what time you use any of your data.
No contracts either. If you don't like it, close your account and move on.
Afrihost is also a good one.

Old 13-02-13, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Contention rate (I presume you mean ratio)? We're talking consumer ADSL here - not business. For the average ADSL user contention ratio is irrelevant. In any case the cost associated with business ADSL is for uptime and redundancy, not contention ratio
Yes the contention ratio/ ration - basically all you get is a ration.

This affects the home user as much as it does the business user. (iBurst was killed due to high contention ratios so saying it does not affect home users is completely wrong. Most home users might not know what it is, but it definitely affects them.)
When cheap uncapped 1st came out at ridiculously cheap prices by MWEB the contention ratio was so high it was nearly useless.

As more ISP's have got on the wagon and competition has increased in this market segment some ISP's have reduced the ratios for better throughput.

MWEB is still regarded as a cheap provider, provided you are happy with high contention ratios and major speed variation depending on time of day and number of online users.

I would not go near MWEB for business or private use.
Just my 2c worth.

Keep it Safe
Deon

2005 Jurgens Explorer

Past:
Old 13-02-13, 08:31 AM

I use to be with Cybersmart too. They had good service and was on the ball with 'up to date' prices.

Old 13-02-13, 10:20 AM

Cybersmart is NOT the cheapest as they so claim on their website.

I have a 10M line (Unshaped) with 30Gb data. The costs of everything, this includes the LINE rental is:

Axxess R 653
Cybersmart R 775

Mad Manny:Eeny, meeny, miny, mo - YO!

Old 13-02-13, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurard View Post
Cybersmart is NOT the cheapest as they so claim on their website.

I have a 10M line (Unshaped) with 30Gb data. The costs of everything, this includes the LINE rental is:

Axxess R 653
Cybersmart R 775
Also not the fastest - as they claim....

Old 13-02-13, 10:50 AM

This is off topic but i recently purchased this 3G Modem and wanted to enlighten fellow users to its ability since we talking internet.

http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwid...yId=5009&tab=0

Its a 3G modem with upto 21.6mbps uses usb power and is open to any network.
It connects just like any 3G dongle but has the advantage of also being a WIFI hotspot so you can connect upto 5 device wirelessly anywhere car, home,beach as long as its has power and ISP Signal.

Its a charm.

Old 13-02-13, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Also not the fastest - as they claim....
I get 800kb/s download, which is fast enough for me.

Old 13-02-13, 12:02 PM

The pricing is not in the data it is in the line speed. I have a 50gig cap on my home ADSL running at 10meg using Webafrica. I get an average throughput of about 6-7 megs depending on which web sites I go to. The package is R799.00 p/m. The data portion is only about 200 bucks.

Old 13-02-13, 12:03 PM

Telkom 4mb, uncapped......R700 I think. Speeds average around 3.1 during peak traffic time. Good enough for Hulu plus and Netflix with hardly any buffering.

Old 13-02-13, 12:07 PM

WOW you guys are being ROBBED

Old 13-02-13, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I get 800kb/s download, which is fast enough for me.
True. But then again you are on a 10MB line and also a capped product (ie. unshaped). My comment was directed at their uncapped (shaped) accounts. Just check out these speeds I've been getting over the last few weeks:

Keep in mind this is on a 1MB line. Switching my router to a prepaid Afrihost account I have, all of these downloads average 100-110Kb/s. Tried to download the new Linux Mint as well to upgrade my laptop - from a SA site, maxed out at 10Kb/s and then dropped the connection totally. Tried 5 times, then gave up.

This was after hours, for totally legal downloads and I don't abuse my account. My browsing is also not the fastest I've ever had. Youtube videos (even after hours) load forever.

PS. Sorry for jacking the OP a little.

Old 13-02-13, 12:45 PM

JimnyJuan, give me a shout if you want. I have many packages for ADSL, but the fav. at the moment is R853.00 for Uncapped, Unshaped, 10Mbps line, all inclusive, including Telkom line rental.
Old 13-02-13, 12:51 PM

Jotto, which ISP is that if you don't mind me asking?

Old 13-02-13, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotto View Post
JimnyJuan, give me a shout if you want. I have many packages for ADSL, but the fav. at the moment is R853.00 for Uncapped, Unshaped, 10Mbps line, all inclusive, including Telkom line rental.
Hey Bud.
PM me some details. Currently on Afrihost managed 4MB line shaped, uncapped for R697?? and then I pay Telkom R198??

Thanks

Keep it Safe
Deon

2005 Jurgens Explorer

Past:
Old 13-02-13, 01:01 PM

You pay Telkom for the physical line, not the speed bit of it, like voice capability. I have a R 146 amount every month just to have the line whether it is working or not for data.

I only get 7M roughly due to the distance from the exchange but tell you what that 180Mb file will take me 3m45s to download.

Best was a music file, 5 Mb, took all of 10s from start to download to finished, and we arent even close to fast yet.

Old 13-02-13, 01:02 PM

I have a 1mb uncapped account with Mweb (R199). 1mb line with telkom.

Very fast general browsing. Youtube with minimal buffering (much much better than the old 384kb speed). Family used over 100gb of data in december.
Old 13-02-13, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersunbird View Post
I have a 1mb uncapped account with Mweb (R199). 1mb line with telkom.

Very fast general browsing. Youtube with minimal buffering (much much better than the old 384kb speed). Family used over 100gb of data in december.
Yes be careful Youtube can eat your data like theres no tomorrow, 5Gb will last you 2 hours.

Old 13-02-13, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Yes be careful Youtube can eat your data like theres no tomorrow, 5Gb will last you 2 hours.
Thats why its a uncapped account
Old 13-02-13, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersunbird View Post
Thats why its a uncapped account
Capped vs uncapped

1meg (throttled after heavy use) vs 1meg (no throttle ever)

I choose speed

Old 13-02-13, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Capped vs uncapped

1meg (throttled after heavy use) vs 1meg (no throttle ever)

I choose speed
Mweb doesnt throttle (except if you choose one of their cheap new trottled uncapped options).

140 to 155gb usage pm usage confirms it
Old 13-02-13, 01:19 PM

Imo the home uncapped adsl is not worth it. For R400 you can basically browse for as much as you like but you are being shaped and there are fair usage policies etc, etc. If you want to download a lot then the home uncapped is not really for you. Check your contention ratio as this will have a big influence on latency and download speed. Some ISP's do not shape the line but they limit the amount of connections you can make.

I have a Cybersmart 2Mb ADSL line with 15GB cap including line rental with Night rider, capsaver and grow for life for R529. I use night rider to extend my CAP from 15GB to 133GB! I have no issues with games, my latency varies between 50ms and 150ms depending on weather. All the CAP I have left at the end of the month is carried over to the next month. This month I started on 53GB cap of which I still have 45GB left and I have already downloaded 68GB.

2004 platkar

4x4 Action Group - GP0006

Old 13-02-13, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Jotto, which ISP is that if you don't mind me asking?
Howsit, both SAIX and IS
Old 13-02-13, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samaya View Post
Imo the home uncapped adsl is not worth it. For R400 you can basically browse for as much as you like but you are being shaped and there are fair usage policies etc, etc. If you want to download a lot then the home uncapped is not really for you. Check your contention ratio as this will have a big influence on latency and download speed. Some ISP's do not shape the line but they limit the amount of connections you can make.

I have a Cybersmart 2Mb ADSL line with 15GB cap including line rental with Night rider, capsaver and grow for life for R529. I use night rider to extend my CAP from 15GB to 133GB! I have no issues with games, my latency varies between 50ms and 150ms depending on weather. All the CAP I have left at the end of the month is carried over to the next month. This month I started on 53GB cap of which I still have 45GB left and I have already downloaded 68GB.
I thought Night Rider was David Hasslehoff ... isnt this only x5 your cap? How do you get to 133?

Old 13-02-13, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samaya View Post

Ok, may sound silly for you boffins out there, but WTH is contention ratio ? For me, the bottom line is at home, we have two iPads, 3 laptops ( windows 7), 3 iPods , 1 wii permanently connected to wifi at home, together with a ps3 that streams hulu plus and netflix to my flat screens, and my 4mbs Telkom line with average speed of 3. Plus mbs. This line appears to handle this for now. I ping at about 25ms. What is the cheapest solution for me assuming less than a terabyte usage per month ?

Old 13-02-13, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Santos View Post
Ok, may sound silly for you boffins out there, but WTH is contention ratio ? For me, the bottom line is at home, we have two iPads, 3 laptops ( windows 7), 3 iPods , 1 wii permanently connected to wifi at home, together with a ps3 that streams hulu plus and netflix to my flat screens, and my 4mbs Telkom line with average speed of 3. Plus mbs. This line appears to handle this for now. I ping at about 25ms. What is the cheapest solution for me assuming less than a terabyte usage per month ?
Check the first post here:

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthre...ention-ratio-s

Nice explanation.

Old 13-02-13, 02:13 PM

I used to have a 10meg line with Web Africa as my ISP. Just got tired of fighting with Telkom about the fact that I pay for a 10meg line, but only managed to get less than a meg when downloading.

A few month ago told Telkom to go and stick it and cancelled my ADSL line and phone line. Now have a little antenna on the roof and have a wireless TRUE 4meg connection with 40 gig data per month. And I really get 4megs ALL the time and never have to talk to telkom again.