logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Vehicle & Technical Chat > Ford & Mazda

4x4Community

Ford & Mazda Combined forum for Ford and Mazda

Old 21-11-12, 12:35 AM

Default Ranger 2012 Fuel injector rust issue on 2.2L model (some on 3.2L)

Dear All,

Here in Thailand, Ford ranger owner found out that 3rd and 4th fuel injection starting to rusty. Most of the owner confirm that in 2.2L model 3rd and 4th are rusty. The problem seem to cause by water drain from windshield ever the engine through small gab between the hood and windshield.
Please checkout you Ranger, hope it don't rust yet. But if you start to see it please contact you dealer before it get worse. Let see how ford handle this problem.

Here is my 2.2L engine with 3-4 rusty fuel injector.

We met with chief service manager of Ford Asian on Friday 16 Nov 2012. They said that Ford Asian acknowledge the problem about rust on fuel injector. Ford Thailand and Ford Asian can't give any technical information about it, only technical term they said is fuel injector jacket is forging material and rust is normal for steel. They said it is not actually problem because it just "cosmetic rust" and it wouldn't effect to safety, performance or integrity of the vehicle.

On that day, one of our member, Aj.Tik shown them about the actual reason of leaking water. The black plastic piece between windshield and engine hood has been made in 2 pieces. So, water can leak in through the gap between it. We shown them 2 immediate solution, make it single piece or extend the engine cover.

The process after this is to inform Product development team at Shanghai, German and Australia to find out what it need or does it need to solve this issue. We still need them to proof that it is not effect to life span of the vehicle, in term of science and engineering not just the word.

Cheers,

All New ranger club
Old 21-11-12, 06:47 AM

Very interesting find and thank you for sharing with us. I'm sure many owners here will have a look on their vehicles and report here.

Swyped on my Samsung Galaxy SIII GT-I9300

Old 21-11-12, 07:30 AM
User Banned

what's more concering is the fact that these parts are rusting at all - water or no water exposure.

i live right on the beach and this is of great concern to me.
Old 21-11-12, 07:42 AM
User Banned

Just to add to this - a mate of mine bought a new Ford Territory a few years ago - and within 6 months the undercarriage of the car was rusting badly.

He spent another year fighting with Ford, lawyered up - they gave him a demo car which did exactly the same thing.

Eventually he got a full refund and spent his cash elsewhere.

Just some food for thought.
Old 21-11-12, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarlo View Post
what's more concering is the fact that these parts are rusting at all - water or no water exposure.

i live right on the beach and this is of great concern to me.
I'm far less concerned. There's a solution to everything. If Ford themselves don't fix this, a good solid coating of tectyl spray by myself will prevent this. Done.

Quote:
Just to add to this - a mate of mine bought a new Ford Territory a few years ago - and within 6 months the undercarriage of the car was rusting badly.

He spent another year fighting with Ford, lawyered up - they gave him a demo car which did exactly the same thing.

Eventually he got a full refund and spent his cash elsewhere.

Just some food for thought.
Cars rust, it's the nature of the beast.

Old 21-11-12, 08:32 AM
User Banned

All cars eventually rust, but to have rust on cars less than 7 or 8 years old just not acceptable.

Problem with rust is once it starts you can never stop it. Every time you fix it it will come back - trust me, I know what I'm talking about I live by the beach and have had enough cars to and experience with rust.

Let's hope that ford not only fixes the water leak but also puts some decent galvanizing / rust protection on the parts as I don't see this to be a proper fix without both.
Old 21-11-12, 10:40 AM

Quote:
All cars eventually rust, but to have rust on cars less than 7 or 8 years old just not acceptable.

Problem with rust is once it starts you can never stop it. Every time you fix it it will come back - trust me, I know what I'm talking about I live by the beach and have had enough cars to and experience with rust.

Let's hope that ford not only fixes the water leak but also puts some decent galvanizing / rust protection on the parts as I don't see this to be a proper fix without both.
No this is off topic, but something for you to consider then is that the Amarok has a long corrosion warrantee... (just need to check how long). Maybe with the new Ford it is the same?

Toyota Fortuner 2.5 VNT (Work)

Old 21-11-12, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogaards View Post
No this is off topic, but something for you to consider then is that the Amarok has a long corrosion warrantee... (just need to check how long). Maybe with the new Ford it is the same?
12 years

2 liter Milk bottle again 132 Kw
Ryno Black

Old 21-11-12, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogaards View Post
Corrosion:
Amarok = 6 years
Ranger = 5 years

Manu. warranty:
Amarok = 3 years / 100 000 km
Ranger = 4 years/ 120 000 km

Old 21-11-12, 11:53 AM

agree, tectyl or silicone spray. should solve that.