logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > General (non vehicle/technical) 4x4 Discussions

4x4Community

Notices

General (non vehicle/technical) 4x4 Discussions Any 4x4 related topic, for which there is no other specific Section.

Old 06-09-07, 09:51 AM

Default Traffic fines

I got one of those annoying red love letters from a country traffic dept. I know it is all wrong, according to the standards set out by the SABS, and with out to much effort, will see the Public Prosecutor withdraw it before it goes to court, failing which, I will put in for a days leave, take the family for an outing to witness the justice system, or just a picnic.

Now the thing is, the fine is R100, and may cost me R200 to see the back of it, is the R100 extra to pay rediculous, but then having the gloating feeling that you beat the traffic dept at their own game....

The interesting thing is, many of the people on this here Forum, have probably got a fine at the same place and just paid, N2, through Grabouw....

Oh, and an Isuzu 280DT.

Old 06-09-07, 09:55 AM

Yup...been there, done that, got a R450 ticket, which was never paid. I got the ticket but never a follow-up like a summons or anything. That was two years ago in my old Renault Scenic..

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

4WDCSA-WC, Pajero Club

Old 06-09-07, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuluCowboy View Post
... many of the people on this here Forum, have probably got a fine at the same place and just paid, N2, through Grabouw....
uhmmm... me x2. And I never paid on the first notification, always only with the summons.

I'm not following... why should Inot have paid?

2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Sport
Rubicon Express 3.5" Superflex Lift Kit | Rancho RS99009 / RS 99116 shocks | Custom Hack'nTap SYE + Double Cardan Driveshaft | RE Quick Disconnects | Unichip (164kW) | 31" Kumho KL71

Old 06-09-07, 11:21 AM

What a lot of peolple may be blissfully unaware of, is that the SABS has formulated standards WRT the ways in which people may be trapped, the SME(Speed Measuring Equipment) needs to be to a certain standard. Also, the way that the images are captured as well as the data regarding the offence, needs to be imprinted on the image at the time of the offence being commited.

Now having gone through this whole procedure once before in Grabouw, I know that they are still using this system. The people that work in the office at the traffic dept, barely know how to use the IT equipment that is installed there.. they are pathetic to say the least.

The problem comes in with the country traffic depts using the camera and their only cop with some intelligence to rake in millions for them. On Carte Blanche a few months back, the one cop and his camera in the Storms River Municipality, was raking in R15 000 000(Fifteen Million) per month in speed fines.

What they are doing, is taking a pic of every single car that comes past, and posting them a fine, small, say R100, and then when you get the fine, you see it is only R100, and to contest you will have to drive all the way to Storms River, so what do you do, write a cheque, and the problem has gone.

According to SABS standard 1795 section 1-4, the way the info is recorded. like the date, time, speed and all the rest, needs to be imprinted on the picture, the same a you put a date stamp on some pics, you normally see it in red on the pic. This technology is called W.O.R.M(write once read many). Now the Theewaterskloof Municipality does not use this system, the info they send you is editable, so in other words, you can change information such as speed, so they send a fine to everyone, you know you were there at that time and were probably going to fast, you ask them for the pic, they send you a JPG, see it's you and pay, little do you know that they are conning you, because you may not have beene going over the speed limit, but the pic is of you, the date is correct etc, and so you just pay.

They have the assumption that the fine is for R100, so nobody is going to go to all the trouble of going to court for a mere R100, and if someone does come and see the prosecutor or contest it, they just with draw it, because they know, that as the way they record the offence, does not meet the SABS standard, it will not stand up in court, and if the foto(which is their only evidence) does not stand up in court, they have no evidence and as such they have no case... Case dissmissed...

Oh, and an Isuzu 280DT.

Old 06-09-07, 11:38 AM

I recently got my first fine for speeding in the truck (Defender 110 Tdi) - R100 for doing 73 in a 60 zone (must have been a tail-wind) . Checked the photo that is printed on the fine and all the details are there - bugger.

4xfagger no. GP0048

2001 Land Rover Defender 130 TD5 D/C with everything
1970 something Land Rover Forward Control IIB camper (SOLD)

Old 06-09-07, 01:08 PM

Why not send the photo and data to Carte Blanche (as much as I despise them)
Old 06-09-07, 01:31 PM
Member (aka Julius)

Default GPS as bewys?

In een van die travel tydskrifte was 'n brief van 'n man wat gereeld travel tussen Johannesburg en Kaapstad, en elke keer wat hy by Beaufort-wes verby ry kry hy 'n boete in die pos. Toe hy terug kyk op sy GPS sien hy dat hy nie die spoedgrens oortree het nie. Hoe aanvaarbaar sal dit in die hof wees as jy jou GPS as bewys bring?
Old 06-09-07, 02:33 PM
Commercial Member: Cobrax

Never thought of that one.

They will have to put up a helluva argument to swing the judge on that one I think.

Old 06-09-07, 02:45 PM

GPS information is inadmissable in court WRT traffic fines

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

4WDCSA-WC, Pajero Club

Old 06-09-07, 02:55 PM
Commercial Member: Cobrax

I def will put up a real fight. GPS units are getting to be the norm now, so they will have to adapt..

Old 06-09-07, 03:43 PM
Member (aka Julius)

Default Nog iets interesand!

Ek het 'n dokument van 'n balju ontvang,wat afkomstig is van die kantoor van die "Public Prosecutions" en gerig is aan die verkeershoofde forum en is gestempel deur die verkeersafdeling van Kaapstad.

Daarin vermeld hulle die volgende:

Die vergadering op 23/11/2004, aangaande KAMERA AANGELEENTHEDE.

1: Fotos moet deur 'n gekwalifiseerde verkeersbeamte, wat voltyds in diens is van die plaaslike owerheid nagegaan word alvorens vervolging ingestel word.
2: Die eerste kennisgewing moet slegs binne 30 dae gepos word. Dit hoef nie die beweerde oortreder binne 30 dae te bereik nie. (Let op na jou boete se datum!)
3: Die riglyne waaronder die Digicam gebruik mag word is presies dieselfde riglyne wat op kamera spoedmeting van toepassing is. Uiteraard sal die tegniese sesifikasies en operateurs handleiding van produk tot produk verskil en in daardie opsig is dit die betrokke operateur se verandwoordelikheid om die betrokke SABS 1795 handleiding te gebruik.

Uit ondervinding het ek nou al geleer as jy 'n boete deur die pos kry, gooi hom weg! As jy 'n dagvaardiging kry van 'n balju, rig vertoe, 90% van die kere word die saak terug getrek as jy die regte bewyse het. Laat hulle 'n bietjie werk vir hulle geld, en moet nie sommer net betaal nie. Moet nie 'n dagvaardiging weg gooi nie jy gaan minagting van die hof betaal + jou boete. Ek dink landrosse en aanklaers is net so gatvol vir onbevoegde verkeers personeel wat die howwe laat oorloop met nonsens dat hulle redelik aan die "beskuldigde" se kant is.
Old 06-09-07, 04:50 PM

Just for interest sake. (Hoping you're not going to kill me for the free advert.) In JHB we have a company called fine wise. If you have a legit fine and you want to get a bit of a discount from the goverment. Talk to then they might be able to help and see if you have ones you don't know about. If you need the number pls pm me.
Best G
Old 08-09-07, 07:36 AM
Coopraider

I probably also got conned by this scam - in Prince Albert. Also R100, I just paid. Thanks for educating me.
Old 08-09-07, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopraider View Post
I probably also got conned by this scam - in Prince Albert. Also R100, I just paid.
Ditto - Beaufort West, took a full 12 months for the formal notification to reach me here in Cape Town, delivered by some 'shylock' type, obviously related to a local council official or some such like?

Long and the short of it, now boycot the place where practically possible, no 'bunkers', no breakfast @ Wimpy, even to the extent of travelling via N7/N14, much nicer route, what the heck!

Mike_R
Old 08-09-07, 10:45 PM

klink bekend................

BRIEWE, 7 September: Nommerplate toe gegryp
06/09/2007 09:50:10 PM - (SA)

DINSDAGAAND 4 September omstreeks 18:30 was ons vanaf die Kaapstadse lughawe na Mosselbaai op pad. By Grabouw is ons met flikkerende ligte deur twee verkeersbeamptes van die pad getrek.

Hulle lig ons toe in dat ons motor se nommerplate onwettig is omdat dit nie die SABS-merk op het nie. Ons was onbewus daarvan. Die motorhawe wat die nommerplate drie maande gelede vir ons op ons nuwe motor aangebring het, sê dis wettig. Dis glo “union”-plate.

Die beamptes het ons met R300 beboet en op ons nommerplate beslag gelê. Ons moes gevolglik sonder nommerplate ons reis Mosselbaai toe voortsit.

Ek sou dink dat die verkeersbeamptes meer daarop ingestel sou wees om mense aan te keer wat met onpadwaardige motors ry.

Motors met gladde bande en geen ligte nie is ’n gevaar op die pad. Ons motor was geen gevaar op die pad nie.

Ek voel die beamptes moes ons net gewaarsku het en twee weke grasie gegee het om terug te gaan na die motorhawe en nuwe nommerplate te kry.

Hul optrede was vir my te drasties. Ek wonder of ons uitgesonder is omdat ons met ’n nuwe, duur motor ry.

eish

Old 08-09-07, 10:46 PM

dis uit Die Burger...

Old 09-09-07, 02:26 PM

Location: Tswane se gat ek bly nog lekker hier in Pretoria!!!

Hulle mag nie daai nommerplate konfiskeer nie. Klink my hulle het dit nodig gehad vir een of ander crime....

Old 09-09-07, 02:54 PM
Commercial Member
(STOCK STANDARD)

het 3 fines in christiaan de wet. 60 zone en nie lus om te betaal nie. lyk my hulle zap jou minute uitmekaar. die pyn wat ek het is as hulle my die eerste keer gestop en gefine het sal ek mos gou leer. nou kry jy dit n maand later!

*4x4, Recovery, Deep Sand
*Accident avoidance and prevention
Premier private and corporate Training-mail me!
herman@angeloffroad.co.za
Manufacturer of Pofadder (c) kinetic recovery rope kits Importers & Distributers of 4x4 products.
Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing

+27824453301 always on.

Old 10-09-07, 01:06 PM

Lyk my Beaufort Wes is bekend vir hulle boetes Ek het 'n paar jaar terug 'n boete in die pos gekry (met kamera gevang volgens boete) waar "ek" in die industriele gebied in Beaufort Wes die 60km/h grens oorskry het deur 85 of so iets te ry met 'n Opel Voorhaker / Truck. Nou die ding op daai stadium was dat ek 'n Opel Corsa 3-dr hatch gery het, maar die registrasie nommer op die boete en my corsa registrasie nommer was dieselfde. Boonop was "ek" gevang 13:15 die middag - dit was nogal 'n Woensdag middag - maar ek was heel onskuldig in my kantoor in Epping Nou ja, brief is geskryf, ens. en die boete is teruggetrek, maar nou nog wonder ek hoe dit kon gebeur dat hulle my registrasie nommer gekry het en dit aan 'n lorrie kon toeeien. Oh well, ek het 'n boete huidiglik wat ek vroeer die jaar (Feb) in Plett gekry het - ook gepos na my toe - maar ek het hom nog nie betaal nie en sover nog niks verder gehoor nie

1998 Isuzu Frontier 280DT 4x4 - The wife's trail vehicle

Old 10-09-07, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers View Post
.....Die beamptes het ons met R300 beboet en op ons nommerplate beslag gelê......
Would not surprise me if you discover those plates being used on another car soon....

Old 10-09-07, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engel View Post
het 3 fines in christiaan de wet. 60 zone en nie lus om te betaal nie. lyk my hulle zap jou minute uitmekaar. die pyn wat ek het is as hulle my die eerste keer gestop en gefine het sal ek mos gou leer. nou kry jy dit n maand later!
Daar was 'n tyd dat hulle sommer 3 traps binne 'n 3km afstand van mekaar gehad het(op die afdraan ook - weet of mens kan trap op 'n afdraan nie).

Ek het ook in die week 'n boete met die baki gekry R400.00.

Hoe weet mens dat die mobile radar traps wat in die pos kom wel op die plek was wat hulle se (bv. Hoe weet ek as leek dat hulle wel op die h/v Topaz & Wilgerood gesit het in die 60 zone & nie 100m verder in die 70 zone nie)?

Hein

Mazda Drifter 2.5TD D/Cab 4x4 "BURAWA"