logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Vehicle & Technical Chat > Toyota

4x4Community

Toyota Lead the way!

Old 16-08-07, 04:46 PM
Tracer

Smile Hilux 2.8 Diesel double cab

Hi Guys

I am new to this so I would like some advise on the 2.8 diesel (no turbo) double cab Hilux raider please. Is there something specific to lookout for on those vehicles. I haven't seen this one yet so if anyone can tell me if this is still the 'old box shape' or if it's the shape just before the very latest model, if you know what i mean? Also what consumtion can one expect from normal city traffic and open road? It will mainly be used for daily to and from work and then once in a while to tow a trailer or maybe a caravan. Your help would be appricaited!
Old 16-08-07, 05:09 PM

Default Def Box shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer View Post
Hi Guys

I am new to this so I would like some advise on the 2.8 diesel (no turbo) double cab Hilux raider please. Is there something specific to lookout for on those vehicles. I haven't seen this one yet so if anyone can tell me if this is still the 'old box shape' or if it's the shape just before the very latest model, if you know what i mean? Also what consumtion can one expect from normal city traffic and open road? It will mainly be used for daily to and from work and then once in a while to tow a trailer or maybe a caravan. Your help would be appricaited!
or as the guys on the forum call it, a SFA hilux for Solid Front Axle. On the consumption etc, someone who knows more than me will be around shortly to answer all your questions....you can count on that

Old 16-08-07, 05:47 PM

Ja its the old box shape. mine gives about 9km/l average, but depending on where and when and how you drive that can fluctuate up to 9.8 or down to 7.5. Not hugely powerful but very reliable. Some guys will tell you the heads are unreliable, cant say i agree. Its real toyota reliability. It might be a bit underpowered if you towing a big caravan up hills. Althogh my old man used mine to tow a 19ft yacht from CT to durban so it can do it, just not very fast. The only thing i would look for is regular oil changes/service, ie every 5000km, and big mileage, as in 250 000km+. And rust around the windscreen and on the seams at the back of the cab.

2006 3.2 V6 Alfa Romeo GT

Old 16-08-07, 08:40 PM

Having done many km's in 2.8D's, I can state:

Plus points:
1) Excellent general off-roader - I like the low-rev grunt and engine braking
2) Light on juice (average 9.5 km/l)
3) Normally stone-cold reliable, but there are the odd cases of head/head gasket failure. In my own case, we found the block was also warped, so, many $$$'s later, it's now hopefully back in the reliability stakes
4) Simple engine to work on, robust drive-train
5) Can be easily modified into an off-roader of awesome capabilities

Drawbacks:
1) It's slow, and especially when loaded on long trips, it can be a pain in the backside to pass slow-moving traffic
2) Standard suspension is unforgiving on rutted dirt road bends and harsh in general - this can be fixed by fitting OME suspension
3) Its not built for dune driving
4) Be prepared to change your driving style completely if you fit larger tyres - it runs best on 245's.
5) Spares may become a problem in the not too distant future?

Last edited by Ouarzazate; 16-08-07 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 17-08-07, 11:29 AM
Tracer

Talking

Thank you guys for all your replies - I will have a look this afternoon & keep your info in mind!
Old 17-08-07, 06:04 PM

My babe is for sale if you are in the market.

Have a look here:

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ght=Hilux+sale

'11 Conqueror Companion

Old 20-08-07, 09:27 AM

Mine just packed up but I'm not negative about it. The motor was worked on before. I always had the suspicion that the head might have a slight leak due to slight positive pressure when the engine has cooled down. The broken piston did crack the head but the head was also cracked in a different place. This makes me think that it might have been cracked before I got it. I've being driving it for 2 years. Even the Silverton radiator test did not show any defects.

Performance is not great. Cruising at 110km/h mostly. Overtaking sometimes dangerous. Offroad it's fine. Consumption not as good as I thought it would be. Not 100% sure but mine is in the region of about 8-8.5km/L depending on driving style.

ex 2002 Lada Niva
2012 Momsen 29'er (MTB)

Old 20-08-07, 07:47 PM

Default Jammer om te hoor

Hallo Dawid

Sorry to hear about the engine trouble. Mine has just been repaired. Both block and head skimmed, pistons cut to allow for change in protrusion above block. Thickest gasket fitted. Because the excess combustion pressure punished the radiator beyond repair, I had to replace it AGAIN (R4500).

If I have any more sh1t with this engine, I will replace with a factory sub-assembly (R34,000), or maybe a R15,000 worth of 5L (3 litre imported motor). But so far, things are looking good.

Interestingly, I had a water T gauge installed and it reads a constant 90 degrees.

BTW, I am starting to think that the 3L might not like the installation of an aircon radiator in front of the radiator. This is the only difference between my Raider and the plain 2.8D's at work (without aircon), which are constantly hammered by different drivers, and none of which have suffered from overheating?

Old 21-08-07, 09:54 AM

Dankie vir die simpatie. Ek het my aircon radiator (condensor) 'n tyd gelede al afgehaal aangesien my compressor inelkgeval moeg was. My temperatuur was baie konstant tussen 85 -90grade. Ek het 'n additionele guage. Die motor het net eweskielik begin raserig raak en 50km later was hy kapoet. Geen waarskuwing nie en die temp was nog normaal. Die workshop staan gereed om te begin met die recon, maar ek kan nie besluit wat ek wil doen nie. Vir dieselfde prys kan ek 'n grey import kry. Probleem is dat niemand in PE voorraad het nie. Eers oor 10 dae. Ek sal liewer wag en dan besluit. Sover is daar meer positiewe feedback as negatief oor die grey imports.

ex 2002 Lada Niva
2012 Momsen 29'er (MTB)

Last edited by Dawid; 21-08-07 at 09:56 AM.