logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Vehicle & Technical Chat > Toyota

4x4Community

Toyota Lead the way!

Old 02-05-12, 12:58 PM

Toyota_King Member
Default 2011 Hilux / Fortuner reverse Camera DIY

Added some end product pictures;

I’m documenting the wiring diagram to install aftermarket reverse cam on new (2011) Hilux and Fortuner. (Could not get this info anywhere, so I paid to get it done…R3500 L)

The facelift Hilux and Fortuner ships with a 2 din colour display radio, the Heritage models comes with a fitted camera and the non-Heritage models not.

The non-Heritage model radios are reverse camera ready but you need the wiring diagram for these vehicles as the radios does not come with a fitted RCA or any indication as to connect your own camera.

Go buy your own reverse camera, there are a few options and you should find 1 to fit your needs. Note some cameras display as Black&White, something to do with the PAL / NTSC requirements. Mine is colour, it is the Kenwood CMOS 200.

Step1.
Remove the left kick plate on the passenger side and look for a white wiring plug with red, black, grey and white wires only.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0327.JPG
Views:	1797
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	144004

Take the reverse camera, cut and strip camera video wire with RCA attached.

Wiring values;
· Bridge Red and Black (Seems awkward, but this is correct J)
· White is camera signal wire (Normally yellow on camera wire)
· Grey is camera screen / ground wire (Screen mesh cable on camera wires)

Step2.

Remove plastic cover under steering colom. (There are a few fuses visible when you remove the cover)
On the far right plug there is a cable with black/red colours connect this to the reverse signal wire of the camera.

Name:	IMG_0329.jpg
Views:	1106
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	144005

Supply the camera with Car Acc power + and –
Test before closing all panels.

The end product;

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	688
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	145373

Name:	Radio.JPG
Views:	904
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	145374

For less reading use this;

Name:	Drawing1.jpg
Views:	1107
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	144043

Last edited by Toyota_King; 08-05-12 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Add more photo's
Old 11-05-12, 10:23 PM

devon Member

Thanks very interesting,

Will look to fit to SWAMBO,S 2012 hilux, will really help as she sturggles with the reversing. (and will make hitching the caravan a breeze)

regards Devon
Old 12-05-12, 11:01 AM

aviator609 Member

Nice mod! We have reverse camera on the FJ Cruisers, but the picture is in the mirror, so it is a bit small and hitching is still a little difficult. I like the big size of the radio's screen.

Well done and enjoy!
Old 08-09-12, 11:10 AM

nice2have Member
Default reverse camera

Hi

i have connected the camera, but if the vehicle is not in reverse when starting the car, it does not recognize the camera. Once started like that you can go in and out of reverse no issue. The camera i use only have the psos and neg power as well as the video plus and negative. I see you talking about a camera signal, this is what i am missing, any ideas?
regard
Old 10-09-12, 01:23 PM

Adam Schäfer Member

My Mrs loves it so much she actually volunteers to reverse onto the caravan hitch!

Old 10-09-12, 10:14 PM

sashton Member
Default Speaker wires

Maybe the wrong thread but Toyotaa-King seems to know alot about the head unit wiring. I want to connect an amplifier and sub to the existing sound system. What would be the easiest way to tap into the speaker wires without having to remove the door pads to check the wire colours and polarity?

Old 12-09-12, 12:58 PM

nice2have Member
Default toyota wires

hi

i have found a lot of info on this website with wiring diagrams, maybe will help

http://www.modifiedlife.com/car-stereo-wiring-diagrams-and-car-radio-wiring-diagrams/

Old 12-09-12, 04:06 PM

sashton Member

Thanks a mil. After alot of research I have also managed to get all the info on the head unit in the Fortuner. I have now successfully, added a line-out converter, amplifier and sub woofer to the existing system. What an amazing difference in the sound. If anyone needs more detailed info on the installation, feel free to let me know...

Old 06-09-13, 11:52 PM

paler Member
Default Awesome Information

Toyota King,

Thank you for this information. I tried it today and worked as described. I just did a test before drilling the camera on to the tailgate to make sure it worked and it did.

I had looked all over the web for this. The local shops said it was not possible.

Best,

Tito
Old 11-09-13, 12:52 AM

paler Member

***UPDATE***
My camera has 4 wires only: 12VDC+, 12VDC-, video signal, video ground.

I powered my camera from a circuit that has 12VDC+ only when reverse is engaged.

Camera only works if I open the ignition switch with the vehicle in reverse. Apparently the HU detects if it gets a video signal on start up. If it does not, it will inhibit switching to monitor input when reverse is engaged.

I am concerned about having the camera powered on all the time if I wire it to acc + ...
Old 11-09-13, 05:12 AM

marnix Member

I have just ordered a 2nd hand Fortuner (June 2013 with 2,000km ) D4D 4x2 Auto with the reverse camera factory fitted. The camera comes on automatically when engaging reverse but does anyone know if there is a way to engage it manually while driving to keep an eye on a trailer while towing? An installer at Toyota Randburg said the after market ones count do it but wasn't sure if the factory ones could.

Another question I have is the radio comes standard with Bluetooth - can this Bluetooth stream audio from an iPhone or is this just for making calls? The Parrot 9100 in my existing Fortuner can stream audio via Bluetooth but I'm keen to move it to my wife's car if I don't need it in the new Fortuner.

Lastly whats the deal with the Satnav? Toyota are quoting R10k for the maps Would anyone in their right mind pay R10k for this when you can get a brand new Garmin with traffic updates for 1/3 of that.
Old 11-09-13, 07:52 AM

sashton Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marnix View Post
I have just ordered a 2nd hand Fortuner (June 2013 with 2,000km ) D4D 4x2 Auto with the reverse camera factory fitted. The camera comes on automatically when engaging reverse but does anyone know if there is a way to engage it manually while driving to keep an eye on a trailer while towing? An installer at Toyota Randburg said the after market ones count do it but wasn't sure if the factory ones could.

Another question I have is the radio comes standard with Bluetooth - can this Bluetooth stream audio from an iPhone or is this just for making calls? The Parrot 9100 in my existing Fortuner can stream audio via Bluetooth but I'm keen to move it to my wife's car if I don't need it in the new Fortuner.

Lastly whats the deal with the Satnav? Toyota are quoting R10k for the maps Would anyone in their right mind pay R10k for this when you can get a brand new Garmin with traffic updates for 1/3 of that.

To the best of my knowledge, the camera can not be turned on manually. Bluetooth streaming works perfectly for my Ipad and Galaxy S4 so I don't see a problem with your iPhone. Unlike other bluetooth streaming head units that just allow a simple playback function, this HU also allows you to view playlists etc via bluetooth streaming.

Yes, the SATNAV story is a joke, I'm happy to stick with my Garmin for now.

Lastly... ENJOY!

Old 11-09-13, 04:26 PM

marnix Member

Thanks sashton. Just to confirm, "Bluetooth streaming works perfectly for my IPad and Galaxy S4" you happily stream music etc from your iPad vis Bluetooth to the Fortuners audio system?
Old 11-09-13, 04:46 PM

sashton Member

Quote:
Thanks sashton. Just to confirm, "Bluetooth streaming works perfectly for my IPad and Galaxy S4" you happily stream music etc from your iPad vis Bluetooth to the Fortuners audio system?
Yes perfectly, Including sound from music, games, movies etc.

Old 16-09-13, 07:33 AM

marnix Member

I can report that the info from sashton was 100% correct and audio streams beautifully (actually works better than my Parrot 9100 from my previous Fortuner). There doesn't seem to be any sort of mute button tho? Currently i am just turning the radio off which is not really a big deal.

Still want to see if there is a way to activate the rear camera while driving to keep an eye on the trailer tho. Any suggestions?
Old 16-09-13, 11:36 AM

sashton Member

There is a pause button on the bottom of the touch screen if my memory serves me correct. This could pass as a mute

Regarding the reverse cam. Fitting a switch to view your camera shouldn't be difficult. I had an after market head unit in my previous Tuna and fitted the camera and a switch to view the camera even when reverse was not engaged. Have not fitted the switch on my current Fortuner but I assume the following will have to be done.

1, Basically the camera input is triggered by power to one of the wires behind your head unit. Use a tester and check which wire gets power when reverse is engaged.
2. What you will want to do now is T off this wire and feed power to it via the switch you want to acitivate to view the camera.
3. Importantly, in order to prevent your reverse lights from coming on when you turn your camera switch on, you would need to fit a Diode on the camera trigger wire as shown in the diagram.

****** I am assuming that the power to activate the camera input is +12V. Please verify this with a tester before proceeding******

Let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Manual Activation of reverse Camera.pdf (31.0 KB, 265 views)

Old 16-09-13, 12:38 PM

marnix Member

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. Any ideas of someone who could do this around JHB North (I'm not much of an electrical guy )?
Old 16-09-13, 01:43 PM

sashton Member

Not from GP but I'm sure any sound installer should know what to do...

Old 16-09-13, 02:23 PM

riyadh Member

Is the current models camera 6v or 12v?, because I was told it is a 6v camera
Old 16-09-13, 02:52 PM

riyadh Member

How would I test it? to see what voltage it is using?
Old 16-09-13, 04:13 PM

sashton Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riyadh View Post
Is the current models camera 6v or 12v?, because I was told it is a 6v camera
The camera may be 6V as it is probably powered by the Head Unit. The trigger wire however may be 12V as the unit is most likely receiving the trigger voltage from the reverse lights.

I can't say for sure until I find time to "dig" .

Old 16-09-13, 09:02 PM

riyadh Member
Thumbs up

thanks sashton, if you do find out anything please let me know
Old 19-09-13, 01:05 PM

GameFarmer Member

@ Toyota_King

I've got a slightly different model unit in my Cruiser (please see pic below), and have been searching all over to find a solution for a reverse camera. Without getting too exited in anticipation, do you perhaps know if this might work for me? I cannot determine from the manual (or non-existing google info - the Japs don't like sharing) if my unit is camera ready..

Old 19-09-13, 01:23 PM

marnix Member

Randburg Toyota have said i need to leave my Fortuner with them for a day to the technician can have a look at fitting a switch.

Not sure i want someone fiddling around but without knowing anyone who has done this in JHB not sure what other options I have.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-10-13, 12:51 PM

Schumi Member
Default Camera

Hi All

I would like to know if anybody can assist, i have read thru all the comments and the installation steps provided by Toyota King, will it be possible for me to connect 2 cameras to my 2012 Lux, rear camera to work as intended but the front 1 to activate via a switch for traversing for instance a log crossing.

Any info will be appreciated.

Thanx Guys
Old 10-10-13, 07:52 PM

echochaser Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
Hi All

I would like to know if anybody can assist, i have read thru all the comments and the installation steps provided by Toyota King, will it be possible for me to connect 2 cameras to my 2012 Lux, rear camera to work as intended but the front 1 to activate via a switch for traversing for instance a log crossing.

Thanx Guys
Hi schumi

It is possible.
My manager did it for his landy, with a normal swich and a relay.

I will see if i can get some more info on it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 10-10-13, 09:40 PM

riyadh Member

in the new murano's u can switch the cameras on and off
Old 10-10-13, 10:34 PM

echochaser Member

Quote:
Hi All

Thanx Guys
Im going to do exactly the same. One camera on bull bar, one for reverse with a relay and switch to choose which is operational.

Old 11-10-13, 10:00 AM

Schumi Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echochaser View Post
Im going to do exactly the same. One camera on bull bar, one for reverse with a relay and switch to choose which is operational.

Thanx a mil ecochaser, any info will help if you need backup cameras look at www.stopshop.co.za they stock a wide range and the pricing is extremely good i will comment on the quality when i receive and install the cameras.

Old 17-10-13, 12:11 PM

Schumi Member

Quality of the cameras looks good will do the install this weekend and let you guys know about the image quality as well as aome pics

Live to Explore!

Old 20-10-13, 10:05 AM

marnix Member

Does anyone know if it is possible to load the Trackef4Africa onto the Fortuner nav system?
Old 20-10-13, 07:12 PM

echochaser Member

Is the fortuner nav system tunning windows ce?

Old 20-10-13, 07:16 PM

echochaser Member

Quote:
Quality of the cameras looks good will do the install this weekend and let you guys know about the image quality as well as aome pics

Live to Explore!
Hi schumi

Did you have a chance to install?

What leondb did was a relay setup as i intend to doe but he controlled the feed to the radio from the cameras instead of having both permanently fixed to the radio and only switching power to each. His system is tried and tested, mine is still only an idea.

I have received my camera and the radio is installed, though i cannot install the camera until the back door is correctly fixed. As i sent it back to the panelbeater and its still not right!

Old 20-10-13, 07:52 PM

Schumi Member

Rear camera is in and working beautifully. Picking up the switch for the dash from toyota tomorow to finish the front camera install.
No need to cut any wires all the connections is under the passenger seat (video and trigger wires) rear camera power was taken from the towbar reverse pin and front is going to run via the switch on the dash. Will post all relevant photos as soon as the front camera is in and working

Live to Explore!

Old 20-10-13, 10:27 PM

echochaser Member

Great stuff!

Cant wait to see!

Old 21-10-13, 05:15 AM

marnix Member

Hi echochaser - thought there may have been something ported across...
Old 21-10-13, 01:10 PM

Schumi Member

Hi all

My cameras is in and working beautifully. Install was easy the steps as follows
1. locate the wiring plug under the front passenger seat
2. Install and pull wires thru chassis and thru the grommet also under the seat
3. Connect the wires as per photo (this took time to locate which wire goes where)
4. Install a relay to swith between front and rear while in reverse
5. Install a diode on the radio feed to prevent power back flow to the relay and install the switch for the front camera
6. Test before closing

Live to Explore!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1382353631068.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	244292  

Old 28-10-13, 08:28 AM

Beebob Member

I would like to fit a reverse cam to my 2012 hilux 3.0D4D But I have heard the Heritage model has a different radio in for the reverse cam, And that the non heritage model's radio will not have the video feed option. can someone please clear this up for me.
Old 29-10-13, 12:19 PM

Toyota_King Member

Picture of the head unit fitted to your Fortuner?
Old 12-11-13, 05:18 PM

paler Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paler View Post
***UPDATE***
My camera has 4 wires only: 12VDC+, 12VDC-, video signal, video ground.

I powered my camera from a circuit that has 12VDC+ only when reverse is engaged.

Camera only works if I open the ignition switch with the vehicle in reverse. Apparently the HU detects if it gets a video signal on start up. If it does not, it will inhibit switching to monitor input when reverse is engaged.

I am concerned about having the camera powered on all the time if I wire it to acc + ...
Figured it out, apparently the head unit checks for a camera signal upon startup. If the signal is not there it will not switch the screen when reverse is engaged.

To solve this I powered my camera via an ACC 12 V + instead of a lead that was hot on reverse only. My generic camera only had 4 wires: 12 vdc+, 12 v - ground, video +, video -.

Hope this helps!

My rig is a 2012 D4D 1KD, Americas version, LHD ... and I love it!
Old 14-11-13, 11:03 AM

Wanderlust_SA Member

I believe the OEM radio for Hilux/Fortuner with cam capability is very expensive.

Has anyone fitted a 3rd party radio and did a DIY on the reverse camera?
I'm looking to do it on my 2008 Hilux.
Old 03-01-14, 10:13 PM

yster130 Member
Thumbs up

Quote:
I can report that the info from sashton was 100% correct and audio streams beautifully (actually works better than my Parrot 9100 from my previous Fortuner). There doesn't seem to be any sort of mute button tho? Currently i am just turning the radio off which is not really a big deal.

Still want to see if there is a way to activate the rear camera while driving to keep an eye on the trailer tho. Any suggestions?
Try keeping the mode button in for second,workon mine
Old 07-01-14, 04:52 AM

marnix Member

No mode button on my radio (I have the same as the one pictured above) :-(
Old 07-01-14, 04:53 AM

marnix Member

I have also been told by Toyota that my 2013 Fortuner no longer supports auto-lock on the doors above 25kmph. I find this unbelievable in a country like SA - does anyone know why this is the case?
Old 07-01-14, 09:25 AM

riyadh Member

Quote:
I have also been told by Toyota that my 2013 Fortuner no longer supports auto-lock on the doors above 25kmph. I find this unbelievable in a country like SA - does anyone know why this is the case?
Yes, I find this ridiculous. I have my very first Toyota and it is a Love Hate relationship. I love the way the car drives, and even more in the effortless way it behaves offroad. I hate the funky electronics, that for me seem it was just put in to keep up with competitors. I like the electric seat, but there is no memory function. The interior is plastic, much like the chinese and korean conterparts etc. I have to admit, I prefere the build qaulity of european cars. However I am still loving and hating my fortuner. LOL
Old 13-03-14, 02:59 AM

trini hilux Member

I have a 2013 hilux and trying to connect a reverse camera. the wires are just like the pictures from Toyota King post, but when I connect the black and red wires the speakers are humming and its not going to video mode. Can any one help me?