logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Vehicle & Technical Chat > GWM

4x4Community

Notices

GWM Positively Driven

Old 20-04-12, 12:33 AM

Smile Another Steed 5 on the roads

hi,

am the proud owner of a brand new steed 5, d/c, 2.5, 4x4
so far am very impressed with this vehicle. i will try and post as much info as i can over time to add to the collective pool of knowledge and experience there is so far.

first half a tank was spent on towing a boat in heavy wind and 120km/h. fuel economy was 8km/l. next tank was unladen, under mixed driving conditions which returned 10km/l

from someone who is used to achieving much better figures from a jap sedan, i was worried this might not be a good figure.

seems 10km/l is actually not too bad from what i've been told.

so far i can't fault this chinese truck. it's solid, all the bits and pieces everywhere, inside and out are well made, rattle free. steering is light and precise, all the switchgear is good. lights are good. sound system is good. long may this last

cheers
Old 20-04-12, 07:17 AM

Wish you happy motoring in your new Steed
Old 20-04-12, 07:26 AM

Sooooooo.....Snakey, ek sien jy het hom gekoop!! Al n biekie ge 4x4? Gee meer opinie oor die outjie man!
98 XR600R
Old 21-04-12, 07:21 AM

Ok snakey what extras you got on the thing?
Have you done the front lift yet?
Front bumper|Rear bumper|wheel carrier |rock sliders|full under body protection|snorkel|draw system (omm sarel)|full EFS suspension|2 inch body lift|smash and grab|LED spots|canopy|
Old 25-04-12, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gualter View Post
Ok snakey what extras you got on the thing?
Have you done the front lift yet?
hi gualter,

the only extras i have is a beekman canopy, the top of the range. very nice, stylish canopy, really suits the beast. have had tow bar fitted and the bin has been rubberised. want to get a bit of tinting done as well, especially the canopy.

they offered to lift the front free of charge which has been done. a minor lift, something to do with torsion beams or something. i'm not very mechanically fluent so forgive my terminology. they also made sure to change the EU engine settings to give it more power, from 85kw to 101kw so they say. i trust this has been done, i hope.
Old 25-04-12, 03:30 PM

Jy's lucky dat hulle die ecu ge-remap het!
98 XR600R
Old 25-04-12, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisXander View Post
Sooooooo.....Snakey, ek sien jy het hom gekoop!! Al n biekie ge 4x4? Gee meer opinie oor die outjie man!
hi louisxander,

yes, put on 2000km so far. nothing ill to report at the moment. she goes very well. you can cruise at 130km-140km quite easily. getting good economy as well.

what has impressed me so far is the steering. it is well weighted and very precise. the aircon is very effective, the cabin lighting is good and the sound system is great. engine noise is also low, especially at freeway speeds which means the sound system accoustics are quite good.

the standard savero tyres seem to be fine as well. i am fussy about tyres and don't like unknown brands, but so far these savero's are performing without any problems that i can detect.

the brakes were weak in the beginning, but they were brand new, they are biting now with a lot less effort on my side.

the ride is good and the seats are as comfortable as any other bakkie i've ever been in. i drive with a very light load most of the time, and with brand new rubber the ride is just like any other bakkie. those with more experience with other brands have made comments like the rear suspension is harsh, but, wtf, it is a bakkie. all bakkies are hard compared to cars.

i went to the katberg last weekend and drove the dirt road to the hotel. the road was in bad condition and the steed took it easily in it's stride. road holding is very good on tar and dirt.

overall i can't pinpoint any particular weakness or glaring fault. i know it's early days, but touch wood, this vehicle feels like it has been well put together. nothing rattling, shuddering, knocking etc.... so far

on the fly 4x4 from 2h to 4h is awesome. manual locking is so yesterday man!

the value this vehicle presents is brilliant.
double cab. 2.5tci engine. 4x4. exec canopy. towbar. bin rubberizing. leather seats. two airbags. a/c. power steering. remote radio controls. ebd. abs. auto locking doors on pullaway. power windows front and back. good stowage space for odds and ends. two power sockets in cabin. lockable glove compartment. fog lights front and back. adjustable beams. adjustable steering wheel (height only), reading lights in cabin, front and back

all for only 243k

Last edited by SnakeyXT; 25-04-12 at 03:45 PM.
Old 25-04-12, 05:16 PM

I am glad you brought up this fact about kw on of the engin,i am as well a steed 5 4x4 2.5 tci owner .i have had mine about a month .the kw output of the motor according to the vechicle manufactures disk plate on the engin is ment to be 80 kw output.i had my steed tested on dynomachine
and the kw output rating is not the same as they say it is .72 kw output
it performs according to the dynomachine test done.if you have achieved
the output that you say you have .what did you have done and where
because the agents say that the vehicles are correct but,i want to prove them wrong all steed owners that these steeds sre all under power regarding the kw that they must or can produce.
Old 25-04-12, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steed View Post
I am glad you brought up this fact about kw on of the engin,i am as well a steed 5 4x4 2.5 tci owner .i have had mine about a month .the kw output of the motor according to the vechicle manufactures disk plate on the engin is ment to be 80 kw output.i had my steed tested on dynomachine
and the kw output rating is not the same as they say it is .72 kw output
it performs according to the dynomachine test done.if you have achieved
the output that you say you have .what did you have done and where
because the agents say that the vehicles are correct but,i want to prove them wrong all steed owners that these steeds sre all under power regarding the kw that they must or can produce.
i am repeating what the sales guy told me. i have no idea if my vehicle actually has the 101kw they say they have given it. i would like to dyno mine one day. but, to be honest, i'm happy with the performance regardless, it goes fine imo.

i learnt over the years after driving many cars, you can't judge a vehicle only on the paper stats. real life driving often discredits such stats. my previous vehicle was a civic 1.8 this civic wasn't impressive in the kw department, but it could hop more than you'd think the stats would allow for!
Old 27-04-12, 09:51 PM

Good to see the steeds are doing well out there
I drove mine today on gravel roads about 80 km at speeds up to 100km/h and she did just fine
Front bumper|Rear bumper|wheel carrier |rock sliders|full under body protection|snorkel|draw system (omm sarel)|full EFS suspension|2 inch body lift|smash and grab|LED spots|canopy|
Old 30-04-12, 08:21 AM

I wouldn't believe anything the dealer says. Heard lots of stories, plus bad running with them. They have a bad Reputation here.

Anyway, i have the 2010 steed 2.4, I love the vehicle to bits, except for the poor fuel consumption. Enjoy your Steed.
Old 30-04-12, 08:52 AM

Congrats on the Steed! Happy motoring!

On the Hp and Dyno comment.
Remember all manufacturers rated peak power killowatt is rated on the engine where the actuall Dyno reads power at the wheels. On a new car there will be about 5 to 10kw loss from engine power output rating to wheels. Snakey's engine power with the remap might have gained the 20odd killowatt as they say, but will be about 90 - 95kw at the wheels on a Dyno.

2012 Suzuki Jimny - Suki. ジムニー
50mm EFS liftkit:EFS Steering Damper:215/75/15 Mud Terrain tyres:Burnco Bullbar:Custom Maniac Rock Sliders:32mm Wheel Spacers:Radial Cup Sliders:Transfer Case protector:Headlight and Bonnet protector:KC130 spots:Sound upgrade:Thule Roof bars:Suzuki Towbar
2012 Suzuki VStrom 650 ABS
Old 30-04-12, 11:37 AM

Unhappy GWM Steed 5 4x4 DC

Hi Snakey,
I took delivery of a Brand New Steed 5 4x4 DC on Tuesday 24 April 2012, very impressed after driving a Isuzu KB 320 4x4 DC with over 534000km on the clock to which I get cleaned up and sell it, On Friday morning hitched up my 4x4x trailer headed for a camping weekend, just past Menlyn with 260km on the clock my bad experience, loud noise and no power heavy black smoke, I stopped to could not find anything from the eye, every one was closed so I drove back to Centurion.
Took my Isuzu and enjoyed my camping weekend.
Today on closer inspection I found that the from the Intercooler to the manufauld had come off having replaced this all seems ok, I have taken it in to the garage for a check up to ensure that no other damage has been caused, I hope to get it back with no further problems and enjoy as per your success.
Old 01-05-12, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Jar
Hi Snakey,
I took delivery of a Brand New Steed 5 4x4 DC on Tuesday 24 April 2012, very impressed after driving a Isuzu KB 320 4x4 DC with over 534000km on the clock to which I get cleaned up and sell it, On Friday morning hitched up my 4x4x trailer headed for a camping weekend, just past Menlyn with 260km on the clock my bad experience, loud noise and no power heavy black smoke, I stopped to could not find anything from the eye, every one was closed so I drove back to Centurion.
Today on closer inspection I found that the from the Intercooler to the manufauld had come off having replaced this all seems ok, I have taken it in to the garage for a check up to ensure that no other damage has been caused, I hope to get it back with no further problems and enjoy as per your success.
hi night jar,

i had a similar type of experience years ago with my brand new hardbody 2.4

was towing a boat on the freeway when all of a sudden the vehicle started overheating badly and piles of "smoke" were coming out the bonnet

it turned out to be the radiater tank had split on it's seam.

it was replaced under warranty and the nissan never missed a beat for 120000km

this kind of thing is part and parcel of all things that made in large numbers in a factory :-)

hope you have no more probs
Old 01-05-12, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Jar View Post
Hi Snakey,
Turbo hose thread

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=103760

Riaan
Old 03-05-12, 01:14 PM

yikes!

must check with dealership

thanks riaan
Old 05-05-12, 10:43 AM

nice, just got 12.79 km/l on my last tank.

Old 05-05-12, 01:03 PM

Sien ek jou by die EC Bash?
98 XR600R
Old 06-05-12, 10:14 PM

yep. most likely to visit on the saturday, maybe camp the night. not sure though
Old 19-05-12, 06:06 PM

took my steed 5 to the dealer to check up on the pipe from the turbo. fortunately mine had been modified by the dealership before i bought it

so far so good
Old 27-06-12, 08:44 AM

I have now done close on 4000km after my bad start, I am over the moon with my GWM Steed 5 2.5DC 4x4 , I am averaging over 10km per litre did a trip to Pietersburg and back to Centurion and the speedo is out by about 13km compared to my GPS, I have had this vehicle over 2 months and have had a African Outback canopy fitted, Long range 60 l tank, smash and grab, an anti high jacking alarm, the back ruberized its now become my dream 4x4 and very happy so far.
I have a trip planned to CKGR with friends in July and looking forward to see how it performs there especially in the sand as I will be pulling a Conquest trailer
Old 27-06-12, 08:53 PM

Nice to hear you're happy
Where did you get the long range tank?cost?
Old 09-07-12, 08:00 AM

Hi there hope to get my Steed5 d/c 2.5 4wd next week.
Can you tell me how good is the 4wd onroad and offroad?
Gualter you like a big Steed5 man.
Hope to chat more to you GWM drivers. Tell me is there a GWM Steed club?
Old 09-07-12, 10:04 AM

Good morning
I hope to get my Steed next end next week.
Got the Steed 5 2.5 4wd d/c is it good?
Old 09-07-12, 12:20 PM

@Stokman I think you will be very happy with the 2.5 both on and off road. What did you have before the GWM

http://mobro.co/michaelfenton
Old 09-07-12, 08:01 PM

Hi stokman
I think that here we will all agree that the steed 5 that you got is a great value for monie buy
Offroad the difflock might be a setback if you don't know how to drive other than that you should be fine
And btw I drive a steed 3 and am by no means the man
I just really enjoy getting out there with the kids and have some fun
But you will be doing that in no time
Old 09-07-12, 08:10 PM

Regarding the steed club I tried to start one on the social club thing
But in 2 years we only had about 5 hits and I don't think the members
are all that active within the forum
Old 26-09-12, 01:19 PM

Update

Still a happy owner.

A point of concern is rust. The dealership has sorted me out promptly under warranty so I am a happy camper. But take note, is appears this is GWM's weakness, these vehicles haven't been as well painted as the Japmobiles out there. In under a couple of months I had rust developing throughout the engine bay, in the corners, between latches and catches etc... The front doors showed rust marks at the very bottom of the inner side beneath the rubber door seals. There was also rust where the load bin side tie down rails meet the main body panels. All sorted out under warranty. DON'T forget about doing your rust and corrosion checks at the dealerships every six months. Get stone chips sorted promptly.

No other issues at all. On 17k and she is loosening up a bit, going very well. Had the windows incl. canopy tinted, looks cool. Having a standard metal rear bumper fitted soon.

Enjoy your Chaaiknees steeds
Old 16-10-12, 02:33 PM

Default Sump cover

Hi Do you have a sump cover and i mean the steel one not the plastic one it came with. Sean
Old 16-10-12, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seangwm View Post
Hi Do you have a sump cover and i mean the steel one not the plastic one it came with. Sean
Speak to Uys on the forum. Not sure if he manufactures bash plates for the Steed.

Look here -> http://www.stofpad4x4.co.za/

2012 Mercedes Benz C180 Elegance
2012 Scott Aspect 30
Old 16-10-12, 02:54 PM

you are going to really enjoy it . Hope you have many hours enjoyment just got my 2.4 steed 5 4x4 and its great . i had a 2x4 2.2 petrol workhorse GWM before this for 5 years 148000 ks and had no major probs this one huge leap forward from the old shape wasnt even a steed. You need to get a steel sump guard to off road and only found one place that makes them . Oppositelock . Sean
Old 18-10-12, 01:12 PM

Hi SnakeyXt Ive had my steed 2.4 petrol for a month to and fully laden with about 250kg tools and 6 of us in morning and afternoon im getting 12.5 l/100 its an awesome vehicle to drive compared to the old shape i used to have (2.2 2008 work horse gwm bakkie 2x4 lasted 5 years no major probs) . THis one is like a limosine hope you have lekker times in your.
Old 22-10-12, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seangwm View Post
still have the original plastic one

slowly pimping my ride bit by bit, will look into the steel one sometime
Old 24-10-12, 08:39 PM

i did steel ones for my steed have them fitted now and it looks good and does the job
there is a fred somewhere with fotos of it