logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Vehicle & Technical Chat > Volkswagen

4x4Community

Old 05-04-12, 07:30 AM

Default Amarok clutch?

I am a bit concerned after reading the Amarok 2.0 BiTDI 4Motion S/C tow test in the latest Caravan and O/L. They complain about a notchy gearshift an a clutch that is taking to low.
To me the clutch that is taking to low could also be the reason for the notchy gear changes. How could VW supply a test vehicle with a problem like that? Surely it is just a matter of adjustment, or not? That is what I like to know. Both these symptoms could end up in expensive clutch/gearbox repairs.
Any Amarok owner with similar experience and could it be resolved?

Last edited by Johan; 05-04-12 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-04-12, 07:42 AM

For the first 1000km the Amarok's clutch and gearbox felt a little strange to me. But soon after that, it seems to be worn in, and gets much better. So I don't think there is a problem with it. Gear changes are smooth and snappy and the clutch is for me like any other VW's!

2011 VW Amarok 2.0 BiTDI 4Motion
2011 VW Polo 1.6 Comfort

Old 05-04-12, 07:49 AM

Ok let me predict the answer: no there is nothing wrong with the clutch, it is the newest technology available on the market and way in front of the competion, do not listen to all the naysayers they don't know what they are talking about, well something like that:-)

Old 05-04-12, 07:53 AM

I drive one, Kgopa, I think I would know.

2011 VW Amarok 2.0 BiTDI 4Motion
2011 VW Polo 1.6 Comfort

Old 05-04-12, 08:01 AM

When I drove FIL's Amarok I also felt the clutch and gearchange to be extremely notchy.
But, I soon got used to it and just adjusted the way I change gears a bit.
Felt smooth and light.

Old 05-04-12, 08:06 AM

getting feedback from a vehicle that gets abused by journalists is the last thing I'd take for granted.

PBPGINFWMY - MY DIY WEBSITE

Life isn't fair. But, do you look at those richer or poorer than you when you make the statement?
Old 05-04-12, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgopa View Post
Ok let me predict the answer: no there is nothing wrong with the clutch, it is the newest technology available on the market and way in front of the competion, do not listen to all the naysayers they don't know what they are talking about, well something like that:-)
Eish - what is your problem, boet! You never have anything of value to say here on the Amarok threads - just negative remarks and critisism?

Old 05-04-12, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossie View Post
Eish - what is your problem, boet! You never have anything of value to say here on the Amarok threads - just negative remarks and critisism?
Very weird that a LR oak visits the Amarok side... Maybe he wants to buy one but is too afraid to come out of the closet...

Old 05-04-12, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
Very weird that a LR oak visits the Amarok side... Maybe he wants to buy one but is too afraid to come out of the closet...
Why do you brand him as a LR oke, and not a Toyota or Honda one?

Old 05-04-12, 01:26 PM

Ek het nou al van beter geleer. Ek sit deesdae maar op my hande.

Dis 'n manne ding! As Swambo saamgaan kos dit twee maal so veel en dis net die helfte so lekker!!!

Old 05-04-12, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan View Post
I am a bit concerned after reading the Amarok 2.0 BiTDI 4Motion S/C tow test in the latest Caravan and O/L. They complain about a notchy gearshift an a clutch that is taking to low.
To me the clutch that is taking to low could also be the reason for the notchy gear changes. How could VW supply a test vehicle with a problem like that? Surely it is just a matter of adjustment, or not? That is what I like to know. Both these symptoms could end up in expensive clutch/gearbox repairs.
Any Amarok owner with similar experience and could it be resolved?
Johan, come and join us on 20 or 21 April at Sandwani. You are welcome to take my Rok for a test drive and put it through its paces in off road. Then you decide for yourself!

Dis 'n manne ding! As Swambo saamgaan kos dit twee maal so veel en dis net die helfte so lekker!!!

Old 05-04-12, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEKPIET View Post
Ek het nou al van beter geleer. Ek sit deesdae maar op my hande.
Kekpiet dit is nou net hier waar die laaste lyn in jou Avatar in werking kom

2 liter Milk bottle again 132 Kw
Ryno Black

Old 05-04-12, 01:50 PM

my new ranger 2.2 clutch also takes quite low and the gear shift is notchy. it is easing up now that i have done around 3000km in it and i love that close notchy feel in the gear shift..makes me think it must be what a race car feels like ;-)

Old 05-04-12, 02:02 PM

[QUOTE=KEKPIET;1106481]Johan, come and join us on 20 or 21 April at Sandwani. You are welcome to take my Rok for a test drive and put it through its paces in off road. Then you decide for yourself![/QUOTE

Thanks for the invite, unfortunately I wont be able to make it, I believe you guys, and my intention was by no means to badmouth the Amarok in any way, it is just that the people that tested it mentioned the problem several times, they even stated that some of their personnel stalled the vehicle on pull off. We all know that a clutch that take to low probably don't release completely, and therefore can result in a notchy gearshift. We also know that it is usually a simple adjustment, hence my question why did VW let them test the bakkie with this problem.
I was just curious if this is a general problem and if it can be adjusted, or just a once off.

Old 05-04-12, 02:07 PM

Johan, it take some time to get use to it, and the gearshift is notchy until it is run in. Then the clutch and shift is as smooth as a nice pair of boobs.

Old 05-04-12, 02:10 PM

it is just that the people that tested it mentioned the problem several times, they even stated that some of their personnel stalled the vehicle on pull off. We all know that a clutch that take to low probably don't release completely, and therefore can result in a notchy gearshift. We also know that it is usually a simple adjustment, hence my question why did VW let them test the bakkie with this problem.
I was just curious if this is a general problem and if it can be adjusted, or just a once off.[/QUOTE]

Johan

The Amarok is fitted with hill assist.
When pulling away uphill it takes 2 seconds to release.
If not use to it you will stall your vehicle.
Nothing wrong with the clutch you need to get use to it thats all.

2 liter Milk bottle again 132 Kw
Ryno Black

Old 05-04-12, 03:17 PM

What is wrong with the clutch ... I drove Ryno's car and without even thinking of this whole clutch story had not a single issue, maybe if you release it like a ..... okay dont go there

Mad Manny:Eeny, meeny, miny, mo - YO!

Old 05-04-12, 03:24 PM

Trust me, getting out of my old Landy and into the Amarok.. I nearly sent it straight through the garage wall! hehe

FIL's one is a bit notchy. The gearchange is a bit different to other vehicles I have driven. But its not really that bad.
The pull away is probably the most noticeable, but you quickly adjust the way you clutch control

Old 05-04-12, 05:15 PM

The Amarok's clutch is different to most other car's clutches I have driven. It does take some getting used to. The notchy gearbox does become noticeably less notchy within the first few thousand km. Something a journalist driving a new test vehicle would not know.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Old 05-04-12, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossie View Post
First off I am not your boet. Just like you I don't own an Amarok but just like you I can air an opinion be it positive or negative, thats what forums are there for, to get an opinion from different people, someone buying an Amarok would like to know the gears are notchy and the clutch feel different, they would also like to know that Vw is always at the bottom half of JD power surveys etc. I owned three VW and two of them left me stranded next to the road so I have experience of the brand and the dealers and the spare prices. My first post was in good spirit thats why I put a smiley behind it, its an observation I made in all the Amarok threads.

Last edited by Kgopa; 05-04-12 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-04-12, 05:49 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvandyk View Post
Why do you brand him as a LR oke, and not a Toyota or Honda one?

Maybe because there is a big Land Rover sign in my signature? I am a big Landy fan have owned 4 Series Landies in the past 5 years, will buy a Defender when my wife decides she will drive one, the Cruiser is my work bakkie not a big fan of other Toyotas.

Last edited by Kgopa; 05-04-12 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-04-12, 06:29 PM

Just say. I climbed into the Amarok and noticed I cant drive. Ryno did I struggle with the clutch?

Old 05-04-12, 08:39 PM

I've also heard many comments about notchy gear changes, and during our recent trip to Henties my BIL managed to get into many false neutrals & missed gears - mostly because he's used to a 5-speed Toyo...

The gearbox on the Amarok has offset gates - that is, it does not move from 1 to 2, 3 to 4 & 5 to 6 in a direct line - it is very slightly offset to the left when going from forward position to rearmost position. This is what catches most people out as they wish to force it straight resulting in notchy changes.

Advice to someone who "loses" a gear - best way to know where you are, and quicker that checking the gear indicator display, is to let the lever into neutral. It's then easier to select the gear you want it in from there.

As far as the clutch is concerned - it must be tough - Swambo had mine cooking properly on the sand due to the ASR throttling the engine back letting her get stuck, but it never shuddered and does not show any permanent damage (as yet, that is).

Honda Lawnmower

Old 05-04-12, 08:43 PM

Some say change gears at lower RPM, somewhere around 2000rpm

Old 05-04-12, 10:44 PM

Seems Hardy de Kock is now Softy le Priel. Bahaha mooi Dirk.

Nou terug na die ding. Ek bestuur n Auto Matic so het lank terug regtig n Manual bestuur en ek het regtig nie n oomblik met die Amarok gesukkel nie. Dalk omdat ek uit oefening is dat dit maklik was?

Old 06-04-12, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botswana View Post
best way to know where you are, and quicker that checking the gear indicator display, is to let the lever into neutral. It's then easier to select the gear you want it in from there.
Great advice - and try do it with 2 fingers, not a fist - I have driven hundreds of cars - handle it like a woman - gently. As soon as you try too hard, it will baulk.

2013 T5 4Motion 180HP TDI Seikel Desert HD Wearing bush stripes with pride
A6 3.0 Multitronic 225HP

Old 10-04-12, 09:39 AM

Ai menere, hoekom moet daar altyd iemand wees wat nie die son vir ander wil laat skyn nie, of allerhande negatiewe uitlatings maak. Die "notchy" waarvan die verslag gewers praat sien ek eerder as n karakter trek van die Amarok. My Amarok se koppelaar vat ook laer as ander voertuie maar soos met enige fabrikaat raak jy gewoond aan sy maniere. My vrou(Sy ry met n ML) haat handrat voertuie maar geniet die Amarok terdee. Ons was die naweek op n groep toer vanaf Windhoek na Henties en sy het die helfte van die tyd met die AmaGTi gery en was maar souerig om my toe te laat op die laaste stuk. As daar iets is waaroor julle wil kla, kla oor die grondvry hoogte, dis maar min. Voor spoed.
Old 15-04-12, 01:49 AM

Wink Amarok Koppelaar en Ratwisseling

Dit verbaas my om te verneem dat soveel lesers nie weet van die klein modifikasie wat VW beskikbaar het om die koppelaar se gevoel en ratskakeling te verbeter nie!
Dit is 'n klein hidrouliese klep wat in die pyp tussen die koppelaar hoofsilinder en die slaafsilinder gemonteer word.
Die bereik waaroor die koppelaar nou inskakel word wyer en die beheer onder die voet is baie aangenamer. Nie meer so skerp nie en die vibrasies word ook uitgeskakel.
Wegtrek is nou baie makliker, selfs vir die ou wat vir die eerste keer met die Amarok ry.
Praat gerus met Suria by McCarthy VW Menlyn, Pretoria by 012 470 8712, sy is op hoogte van sake.

Die nydigheid en geniepsigheid van die kompetisie is te verstane. Die bedreiging van die besondere eienskappe van die AMAROK ontbloot hierdie manne se karaktertrekke. Slegte verloorders! Ek glo daar is 'n klomp swartsmeerdery wat onder aanvoering van sekere verkoopmanne plaasvind.

Geniet julle AMAROKKE.
Old 15-04-12, 02:24 AM

Is there a cost involved with this?

Old 15-04-12, 11:48 AM

Smile Amarok Koppelaar en Ratwisseling

Dit word onder die diensplan gehanteer. Geen kostes.
Old 15-04-12, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4bull View Post
Dit verbaas my om te verneem dat soveel lesers nie weet van die klein modifikasie wat VW beskikbaar het om die koppelaar se gevoel en ratskakeling te verbeter nie!
Dit is 'n klein hidrouliese klep wat in die pyp tussen die koppelaar hoofsilinder en die slaafsilinder gemonteer word.
Die bereik waaroor die koppelaar nou inskakel word wyer en die beheer onder die voet is baie aangenamer. Nie meer so skerp nie en die vibrasies word ook uitgeskakel.
Wegtrek is nou baie makliker, selfs vir die ou wat vir die eerste keer met die Amarok ry.
Praat gerus met Suria by McCarthy VW Menlyn, Pretoria by 012 470 8712, sy is op hoogte van sake.
Die nydigheid en geniepsigheid van die kompetisie is te verstane. Die bedreiging van die besondere eienskappe van die AMAROK ontbloot hierdie manne se karaktertrekke. Slegte verloorders! Ek glo daar is 'n klomp swartsmeerdery wat onder aanvoering van sekere verkoopmanne plaasvind.
Geniet julle AMAROKKE.
DANKIE 4x4 Bull. Sy is great girl en ook my diens adviseur. Ek sal haar more skakel. Sal dit probeer.

Old 15-04-12, 07:49 PM

Ek verstaan nie die clutch storie nie. Waarmee het die ouens 'n probleem. Vir my voel als heel normaal?

Old 16-04-12, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
Ek verstaan nie die clutch storie nie. Waarmee het die ouens 'n probleem. Vir my voel als heel normaal?
Stem saam. Vir my heel maklik...

Toyota Fortuner 2.5 VNT (Work)

Old 03-05-12, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4bull View Post

Geniet julle AMAROKKE.
Dankie 4x4bull
Just had it done yesterday and the difference is amazing. Not that I had a serious problem yesterday but Swambo can now also pull off without stalling!
Also had my Rok serviced and software upgraded. Must say VW Menlyn is the best experience I have had thus far with a dealer and Suria is absolutely magic.

Rokfan.

Old 03-05-12, 01:45 PM

Did you have to pay for the modification?

What about the upgrade? Do you feel a difference in power?

Old 03-05-12, 02:14 PM

We struggle with the clutch and the constant stalling is driving us insane. So it's going for it's 15k service on Monday at VW Westgate.

I hope this bunch know how to do the upgrade because I had a bad experience with them with my Scirocco and never used them again but I am giving the the benefit with my Matrok. Will report back after the service.

Klein Baas sin - Radio Flyer trike and red wagon
Groot Baas sin - Amarok DC BiTDi 4Motion - With ALL the extra plus RaceChip Pro
Miesies sin - Jeep JK Wrangler 2 Door - BDS Coils with Zone Nitro Chargers, 35" Bighorns on Mickey Thompson black Side Biters plus other odds
Groot Baas sin - VW Scirocco TSI - Revotech piggy back - SOLD
Almal sin - Hummer H3 - Maya the un-stopable
Miesies sin - Ballistic LTR - 2times SA MX ladies champ
Groot Baas sin - Ballistic Banshee- strongest 2 stroke in SA
Groot Baas sin - Ballistic TRX250R - US import with CT 330 motor
Klein Baas sin - Red Baron 125 Pitbike
Almal sin - Outbound off road trailer - tricked out

Old 05-05-12, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokfan View Post
Dankie 4x4bull
Just had it done yesterday and the difference is amazing. Not that I had a serious problem yesterday but Swambo can now also pull off without stalling!
Also had my Rok serviced and software upgraded. Must say VW Menlyn is the best experience I have had thus far with a dealer and Suria is absolutely magic.

Rokfan.
Ek stem vir Menlyn vir Service centre van die Jaar, en vir Suria as President!!!!
Hulle maak die Volla experience "Just Awesome" Dit is nie net diens wat jy daar kry nie, dit is 'n experience!

Old 08-05-12, 06:54 AM

As expected, the clever bunch at McCarthy Westgate tried to hand me my Matrok back without the clutch upgrade stating, they couldn't find the problem. I didn't say there was a problem, all I want is the damn clutch upgrade. All I said was that the clutch makes the car difficult to drive, if you're not used to it. Thus Swambo avoids driving the Matrok.

Needless to say, the Matrok is still with them. I gave them the Menlyn branch detail so lets see if it gets done today.

Miesies sin - Jeep JK Wrangler 2 Door - BDS Coils with Zone Nitro Chargers, 35" Bighorns on Mickey Thompson black Side Biters plus other odds

Old 08-05-12, 09:09 AM

Ok update........

Sounds like my Trok's got this valve. They will show me this afternoon. Perhaps my clutch just needs the settings checked. Will repond after I pick up the Matrok later today.

Old 09-05-12, 01:56 PM

Any update on this?
Old 09-05-12, 02:27 PM

Update,

Clutch much better!! Way softer, no shudder. I think they just blead the system. Whatever they did it's working much better now. It's just as soft as my Scirocco now.

Old 11-05-12, 06:41 AM

Did you have to pay for this?

Old 11-05-12, 11:54 AM

Nope

Old 14-05-12, 07:50 PM

As soon as I have some time on hands will take mine in also for the clutch upgrade. I see lot of guys saying they do not experience problems with their Rok's clutch. They must just remember most of the later models were already equiped with the mod. It is mostly the first units that need to be done. The VIN number will tell if it is needed or not.

Old 16-05-12, 09:18 PM

Might be true kekpiet.

I dont have the problem. Got mine dec 2011