logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Vehicle & Technical Chat > GWM

4x4Community

Notices

GWM Positively Driven

Old 24-03-12, 09:17 PM

Default soooo........ i see.....

No new freds? no new news? everybody happy with they're steeds? no add ons? no mods?
every body done the front lift to the bakkies? what's next?
Any break downs? Any trips?
Bottom line: would you buy the steed again if you could do it all over again?
Mines going in for the 50k service in about 1000km
So far so good, no break downs no nothing the dum thing starts every time no rattles
no nothing,still happy pity I don't have the monie to do some more to her but I did get lights and power point to the canopie so that's sorted + I did the power point to charge the trailer while on the go so I'm happy about that
Must say I see more ans more steeds on the road
Front bumper|Rear bumper|wheel carrier |rock sliders|full under body protection|snorkel|draw system (omm sarel)|full EFS suspension|2 inch body lift|smash and grab|LED spots|canopy|
Old 24-03-12, 10:01 PM

Had look at the new one two weeks ago.
Looks good at reasonable price.
My worry is will they last, normally run my vehicles for 5 years and 160 000 km.
Must say my Ford is quite well behaved with 60 000 in 2 years, cost me a new battery last month.
It has seen quite a few bumps and holes in it short live span.
2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - bos en kamp tyd
Die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop.
Net jammer ek moet werk om te oorleef
Old 24-03-12, 10:46 PM

So far so good for me.

I did the lift. Must say that it's one of the cheap "mods" that really does work.

Other than that, it is still going with no issues. Granted, I'm not even at 2500km yet!

It feels the engine is getting nice and loose now. She revs more freely now.
Still very happy and I'm waiting for the new one to come out. Whenever that might be.
Old 04-05-12, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gualter View Post
No new freds? no new news? everybody happy with they're steeds? no add ons? no mods?
every body done the front lift to the bakkies? what's next?
Any break downs? Any trips?
Bottom line: would you buy the steed again if you could do it all over again?
Mines going in for the 50k service in about 1000km
So far so good, no break downs no nothing the dum thing starts every time no rattles
no nothing,still happy pity I don't have the monie to do some more to her but I did get lights and power point to the canopie so that's sorted + I did the power point to charge the trailer while on the go so I'm happy about that
Must say I see more ans more steeds on the road
Okay so i just joined recently,being very happy with the steed..so far/but wait there's more!!!!!
2008 2,8 TCi 4x2 ,the first one sold in Cape Town...still has chinese water in the radiator.
Done the Baavianskloof run 4 times,no problems.
Like someone else in forum the kuhmos,tyres, do not like nails....had 7 punctures in the last 4 years .
My only gripe is dealer service or lack of it!!!!
There was one very good guy named Bart or sumpting..but he left to go to Botswana i think...after that pure crap after service!
Now after 90k service i am loosing power (have a post in other thread)an may need to fork out R13000 for new turbo??
But i am still very happy with this bakkie..

Also might want to do the chip thing?

Last edited by stewie; 04-05-12 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-05-12, 09:42 PM

Hi there stewie
I saw your other post and sorry for luck
My wife drives a turbo diesel(opel corsa 1.7 dti) and I had to replace the turbo in feb at a cost of R6000
The thing that I don't understand is there was a lot of noise coming from the turbo when it packed up so one could clearlly see it was the turbo
If you rev the engine is there any noise coming from the turbo or do turbos also pack up in silence?
Front bumper|Rear bumper|wheel carrier |rock sliders|full under body protection|snorkel|draw system (omm sarel)|full EFS suspension|2 inch body lift|smash and grab|LED spots|canopy|
Old 05-05-12, 12:14 AM

well thats the problem,no obvious turbo noise or trouble ,just like a flat spot...and then a few seconds later the power picks up again
Also the few days consumption did look bad!!I had to phone dealers in george to get answers to my problem...and reading here...a.fountain of knowledge!!!!
But overall ,i bought a bakkie to replace my champ,and for the price it is a very good buy.
And i think as we become more impressed with the GWM's we start to expect more and start to compare them to the established brand names...i paid R167 000 for a double cab!!!!had 90k km's 4 years and lots of fun!!! My problems now are more incompetence and not really about bad design or product.
Steed 2,8 TCi 4x2-to the toyota dealer..it's a blerry bakkie!!!!not a way of life?
Old 05-05-12, 09:36 AM

Stewie
If you have no execive black smoke (like you can't see the car behind you) and if your bakkie is not going through oil (like its beer on a hot day) then it can't be your turbo
Your bakkie should have a self blead diesel filter and you have to check the lift pump on that filter cos I think that is what is messing you around
The filter has a built in spring that maintain's preassure in the fuel line and with time that spring looses strenth alowing diesel to loose preasure
This is if your bakkie only looses power every now and then
Try that and let us know if I was rite in buying a petrol bakkie
Old 13-05-12, 08:25 PM

Hi Stewie,
Check the in-line filter situated between the tank and the pump. Look below the L/H doors, mounted on the inner side of the chassis. Sometimes stealers ignore replacing this filter. To have a quick look at the turbo, try removing air inlet pipe and look as best you can if the turbo has obvious blade damage and try wiggling the impeller. Mine has 83K on the clock but has just the slightest movement (play).
My trokkie, called Hoss, has been visiting the stealers regularly lately, to the extent it's on first names basis with the back room guys.
Old 13-05-12, 08:37 PM

OK I bought 3 Steed 5 end last year. All of the stand at the moment between 35000 - 40000km.

No rattles and no problems.

I must say we drive these bakkies hard. The only problem that we experience on all 3 bakkies are that the Turbo pipe burst just after the Turbo.

All was fixed by GWM under the warrenty with no hassle.

Jeep Rubicon Unlimited

Old 13-05-12, 09:00 PM

Rudolph78,
Seems to be common on Steed 5's. Seen a few repaired locally. One guy installed a steel bend, joined by heavier flex piping.
Old 15-05-12, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Hi there stewie
I saw your other post and sorry for luck
My wife drives a turbo diesel(opel corsa 1.7 dti) and I had to replace the turbo in feb at a cost of R6000
The thing that I don't understand is there was a lot of noise coming from the turbo when it packed up so one could clearlly see it was the turbo
If you rev the engine is there any noise coming from the turbo or do turbos also pack up in silence?
Hi Gualter

Im looking to buy my first bakkie in 5 years becasue of family need a double cab why do you prefer the petrol the consumption is higher but i see services are cheaper, please can you give me your opinion as Im impressed with Gwm
Old 15-05-12, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorno View Post
Hi Gualter

Im looking to buy my first bakkie in 5 years becasue of family need a double cab why do you prefer the petrol the consumption is higher but i see services are cheaper, please can you give me your opinion as Im impressed with Gwm
I have the 2.4 petrol.

I worked out that the petrol in the end is cheaper per km than the diesel. That is taking into account purchase price, services and parts if you go work it out via the AA's rates.

BUT, my bakkie is thirsty. 8km/L. My neighbour bought the diesel. He gets 11km/L.

So you obviously go further for the same money. And with the price of petrol these days, a quick 500km jaunt costs a lot of money!

In hindsight, I probably should have bought the diesel, but it was too much $$ at the time and I'm not a diesel fan. If I look at how much turbo's and hoses and diesel parts cost, I was a bit apprehensive and opted for the "cheaper to service and parts" petrol version.

In the end it's your choice. I'm happy with my guzzler.
Old 15-05-12, 09:59 PM

Hi Icepick 88

Thanks that makes it even more confusing with it been a untested brand my worry is the long term costs of the diesel should you pick up trouble with the engine later
Old 15-05-12, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Hi Icepick 88

Thanks that makes it even more confusing with it been a untested brand my worry is the long term costs of the diesel should you pick up trouble with the engine later
Yeah that is why I avoided the diesel.

I'm fairly confident in the GWM brand. If you look at how many people here are happy with their bakkies, I would say that the bakkie is very good.

And I see more and more Steeds and Hovers on the roads which is a sign that people are slowly changing their minds about the brand.
Old 16-05-12, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
Yeah that is why I avoided the diesel.

I'm fairly confident in the GWM brand. If you look at how many people here are happy with their bakkies, I would say that the bakkie is very good.

And I see more and more Steeds and Hovers on the roads which is a sign that people are slowly changing their minds about the brand.

That's true
When people like manny rekon it's ok to buy a gwm then you know the thing can't actually be that bad
@Bjorno
I went for the petrol mainlly for the same reasons as Icepick and also that I'm tyred of these diesel smoking breaking down noisy things I've always had diesel bakkies this is my 2nd petrol bakkie before I had a 2.2 toyota petrol d/c
My wife's car is a diesel and the turbo was replaced in feb for 6K and that made me happy I have a petrol
Old 16-05-12, 07:12 AM

Consumption is another storie alltogether
Mine did about 6km/l towing my trailer down to the gtg in oyster bay
But in town driving I get about 9-10km/l
And if in the future the thing breakes down petrol will always be easier to fix than diesel ( at least for me)
Diesel shmesiel petrol rocks and its better for sand driving than diesel ask any one that was at the gtg how the petrol steed put all the diesels to shame A FEW TIMES
Old 16-05-12, 07:14 AM

And remember diesel engines were invented for tractors and boats ha ha ha
Old 16-05-12, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Diesel shmesiel petrol rocks and its better for sand driving than diesel ask any one that was at the gtg how the petrol steed put all the diesels to shame A FEW TIMES
LOLZ!

I've luckily driven a diesel on sand and I can tell the difference.
I really had to work the loud pedal harder in the diesel, but with my bakkie I basically idle through it with a touch of juice now and then just to keep it from stalling in thicker parts.
Old 16-05-12, 01:31 PM

Thanks guys

should i whisper ......

Ill go for the petrol.......
Old 16-05-12, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys

should i whisper ......

Ill go for the petrol.......
Nice!

No need to whisper.
Old 16-05-12, 09:44 PM

just try to make peace with the consumption
just tell yourself you drive a V8 with no power
Old 18-05-12, 10:48 PM

Just to add to the discussion,I was the first person in Cape town to buy the Steed,only had the diesel available at the time,also was not too keen on diesel,remember when diesel was almost R12 a litre??.
But apart from bad service from workshop and my turbo trauma!!,this bakkie has been very good,done the baavianskloof run 4 times now with no problems..not even one puncture!!!yet had about 8 or more punctures on the road in town.
Yes 10000km service and the price of turbos hanging over your head is a problem,but as the other guys can vouch petrol or diesel the STEED is very underestimated....I would buy one again when needed.
Steed 2,8 TCi 4x2-to the toyota dealer..it's a blerry bakkie!!!!not a way of life?