logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Hobbies > Braai, cooking, recipies

4x4Community

Old 23-02-12, 05:37 PM

Default Different way to braai!!

Just to fill you in....I met a guy who met a guy while camping on
honeymoon many years ago. The story goes that the "host" had been "Mr Braai King," (old Scope magazine competition) once or twice.
His method of cooking steak was as follows.....Hot coals, low grid and turn the meat every 10 seconds. One must be very careful not to over cook the meat as it cooks faster than what you think....even with the fast rotations.
The theory is that the juices inside never get a chance to either boil out the top, or run out the bottom but stay in the centre of the meat.
Chops can be done the same way. I tried it once and have used this method ever since. I get the weirdest looks from guests when they see it for the first time, especially the father in law from the Free State. Its not the most sociable braai because you are so busy....but give it a bash....you might never go back to the old....turn it twice method.
Old 23-02-12, 05:54 PM

I also turn my meat more than most people. I wait till the juices start to appear on the top side then turn it over.

Old 23-02-12, 06:00 PM

Gonna have to teach my wife that method. You guys are obviously old school braaiers. Who the heck is going to keep an eye on the score if you are doing silly things like turning meat. I taught her the turn twice method so that she could fetch the beers between turns, looks like we are going to have to rethink this.
Old 23-02-12, 06:09 PM

I taught my MIL how to start the fire and braai the meat. This gives the wife time to wash dishes and bring me beers while I am watching sports.

Land Rover D3 TDV6 HSE - Goldilocks
Torqtune Remap
Torqtune Intercooler
Snorkel
Kameel OE Long Range Tank 125liter !!
Kameel OE Spare-wheel Carrier
http://4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=154041
http://youtu.be/sdRi45gm_PQ Dynamic Carrier Operation

Mitsubishi Colt Clubcab 2.8 2007 - Snow White

Suzuki Jimny - Tjorrie

ORRA Z 173
29 mHz
VHF
Zartek

Old 23-02-12, 06:11 PM
Commercial Member

You people crack me up........

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Old 26-02-12, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebus View Post
Just to fill you in....I met a guy who met a guy while camping on
honeymoon many years ago. The story goes that the "host" had been "Mr Braai King," (old Scope magazine competition) once or twice.
His method of cooking steak was as follows.....Hot coals, low grid and turn the meat every 10 seconds. One must be very careful not to over cook the meat as it cooks faster than what you think....even with the fast rotations.
The theory is that the juices inside never get a chance to either boil out the top, or run out the bottom but stay in the centre of the meat.
Chops can be done the same way. I tried it once and have used this method ever since. I get the weirdest looks from guests when they see it for the first time, especially the father in law from the Free State. Its not the most sociable braai because you are so busy....but give it a bash....you might never go back to the old....turn it twice method.
I lay my steaks ( rump and ribeye) in a good olive oil with just a dash of lemon for half an hour or so. Then straight onto a hot fire ( red hot coals) I like to singe the meat NB I said singe not burn; yes turning it every ten seconds for about five minutes ( two to three minutes on a side is the way I like it ) If you like your meat cremated braai longer.
You will never eat steaks in any other way. Flame grilled.

Chris.