logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > The 4x4 Pub

4x4Community

The 4x4 Pub Off topic chat area, from the latest to IT questions may be posted here. Please keep it clean and family orientated, or your post WILL be deleted.
Joke and funny picture threads are not welcomed, and will be removed without notice.

Old 04-05-12, 10:46 AM

Default Best Trees to plant

So I have about 700m2 of open grass and want to start planting some trees for shade in future. Must be indigenous (inheems in Afrikaans, maw local, hoop ek het dit reg) must have a root system that wont lift walls etc and not shed alot of leaves, berries etc.

So far I have :

Wit Stinkhout (only drawback is it is a very slow grower)
Karee
Olienhout

Any other suggestions ?

2014 Renault Duster 1.5 dCi 4WD
2012 Scott Aspect 30

Old 04-05-12, 11:00 AM

Geelhout. Groei ook stadig, maar pragtige boom. Ek het 3 by my

Old 04-05-12, 11:03 AM

Our witstinkhouts drops LOTS of leaves.

How about one or two Pecan nut trees? They grow quite big and give lovely shade in the summer and lets the sun through in the winter. And in the winter you can give lots of nuts to other people as gifts (and eat them if you like them, I dont) and there is always birds in ours and the greyhornbills come in winter and try to eat the nuts. Also loose a lot of leaves though.
Old 04-05-12, 11:07 AM

Leopard Tree and Fever Tree are both awesome.

Originally Posted by ZR6SGN

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It only matters to the others.

It's the same when you are stupid.

Old 04-05-12, 11:09 AM

Wit Stinkhout is not a slow grower. Actually one of the fastest growers. But shed it's leaves in winter.

Karee very quick grower but very poor root system. Roots does not go very deeo and can lift paving or topple in strong wind.

Try an Essenhout (Ekebergia capensis)

Old 04-05-12, 11:12 AM

Jip... My parents have about three Pecan Nut trees... they just shed alot of leaves and those peels around the nut itself. Might plant one in my Veg patch

2012 Scott Aspect 30

Old 04-05-12, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Wit Stinkhout is not a slow grower. Actually one of the fastest growers. But shed it's leaves in winter.

Try an Essenhout (Ekebergia capensis)
hmmm might have my facts all mixed up. so Wit Stinkhout might be one of the best options except for the leaves ?

2012 Scott Aspect 30

Old 04-05-12, 11:34 AM

Another one you can try is a "Kasuur"
http://www.treeshop.co.za/Pittosporu...Cheesewood.htm

Old 04-05-12, 11:35 AM

How big do you want to go? Bird and insect friendly?

Olienhout isnt a great shade tree until really big and that takes a while to grow

Which Karee were you looking at.

I'd go for one of the acacia's or perhaps even a boerbean. The birds go mad in mine.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

4WDCSA-WC, Pajero Club

Old 04-05-12, 11:43 AM

I agree, Witstinkhout grows quite quick, one outside my office, root system quite agressive though, in my opinion more so than most acacia. You get some beautiful acacia's quite a few species that offers plenty for animal life, and looks brilliant.

Huilboerboom and Rooi Ivoor are also amongst my recently planted ones.
Old 04-05-12, 11:45 AM

I was thinking of planting one on the left , about 2 meters from the wall (sun sets on the left) and then one along the back wall, so big enough so one can have a table and chairs underneath etc and maybe enjoy a Sunday afternoon lunch etc. (one day obviously)

Looked at the Rhus lancea Karee, but not sure if it will be high enough to sit under as they are normally used for boundary trees ?

see pics (they are 3 months old, looks alot better now) In the right hand corner is the proposed veggie patch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	linksagterbo.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	144773   Click image for larger version

Name:	regsagterbo.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	144774  

2012 Scott Aspect 30

Last edited by NetEddy; 04-05-12 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-05-12, 11:50 AM

Hi NetEddy,

You could gain some fast shade initially by planting what is referred to as pioneering trees, interspersed with the slower growing, longer life-span trees.

But follow this link http://www.horsejunction.co.za/discu...?topicID=96576 for a superb list. See the 4th post by Dalgo.

I think the Riverbushwillow that is referred to, translates to Vaderlandswilg.

LR2 i6
171kW/317Nm/11.64l/100km/20 months

Old 04-05-12, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetEddy View Post
I was thinking of planting one on the left , about 2 meters from the wall (sun sets on the left) and then one along the back wall, so big enough so one can have a table and chairs underneath etc and maybe enjoy a Sunday afternoon lunch etc. (one day obviously)

Looked at the Rhus lancea Karee, but not sure if it will be high enough to sit under as they are normally used for boundary trees ?

see pics (they are 3 months old, looks alot better now) In the right hand corner is the proposed veggie patch
The white Karee is not suitable for this purpose IMO. Too low, and needs constant trimming because it coppices too easily.

4WDCSA-WC, Pajero Club

Old 04-05-12, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moetbiedjiewegkom View Post
You get some beautiful acacia's quite a few species that offers plenty for animal life, and looks brilliant.
The trouble with the Acasia - I think the Karoo will be a bit small for what NetEddy wants to achieve - Robusta is that it grows itself flenters.

I've seen many times how they split down the middle because the top gets too heavy, or leaning on walls to stay upright because they have been planted in filled soil, falling over when the overhang becomes unsymmetrical.

So if one plants these, the symmetry has to be maintained by pruning. Those seasonal yellow flowers are pretty, but I would keep it away from any water-feature type of structure for when they start falling.

LR2 i6
171kW/317Nm/11.64l/100km/20 months

Old 04-05-12, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
The trouble with the Acasia - I think the Karoo will be a bit small for what NetEddy wants to achieve - Robusta is that it grows itself flenters.

I've seen many times how they split down the middle because the top gets too heavy, or leaning on walls to stay upright because they have been planted in filled soil, falling over when the overhang becomes unsymmetrical.

So if one plants these, the symmetry has to be maintained by pruning. Those seasonal yellow flowers are pretty, but I would keep it away from any water-feature type of structure for when they start falling.
There are over a dozen Acacia species - many of which can be used for shade and do not lose their shape or require trimming. Agreed that Karoo is not suitable though

4WDCSA-WC, Pajero Club

Old 06-05-12, 08:43 PM

I've got some 7000m3 that I ned to plant trees on. I am also thinkin of peacan nut trees. I do have some Witstinkhout. Fast growers, but messy this time of year. Got some Karees. But I stumbled upon the 'Bottle Tree'. Indigenous to the Cape, but grow nice and fast with thick shade all year round. Soet doring (think it's Accacia Karoo). Grow fast and birds love it.
Old 06-05-12, 09:15 PM

Agree with what others said, i planted wit karoo, they grow fast, grow messy and grow themsleves flenters, in the end i started over.
- had succes with paper bark, jackel berry, fever trees, and lovely wild olive trees (my best), also coral (just check, two species, one flower better)
Old 06-05-12, 09:19 PM
Commercial Member

Kyk ook na die Camferboom - groei stadig maar is nie bladwisselend nie.

Wit stikhout - verloor al sy blare en bessies in die Herfs. Hy groei egter baie vinnig. Binne 2-3 seisoene kan jy in sy koelte sit.

en ry saam met SarelF in
VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
Sarel 0828209413

Vir Tuinpotte en pavers - Kontak gerus Elize by 0827814327

Old 06-05-12, 09:36 PM

Jy moet besluit of jy 'n immergroen (nie bladwisselend) of blabwisselend wil h. Bome het blare soos honde daai ander goed het. Wit stinkhoude groei baie vinnig, het bessies wat vols lok. My pekanneute groei ook vinnig maar gooi ook blare af. As blare afgooi as mors beskou word sit liewer afdakke op.

Old 07-05-12, 02:03 AM

All trees lose their leaves, that is how they rid themselves of toxins and other chemicals, deciduous does it in one go while the others keep on falling all year long.
The indigenous white stinkwoodCeltis africana looks exactly like the Celtis australis, commonly known as the European nettle tree with the exception that the indigenous one has a hairy upperside of the leaf and the invader the bottom. It is a fast grower and could reach 20 m but that would take some time and in your garden you would probably not see more than 12m.

Another deciduous one to look at is the coral tree or as it used to be known kafferboom, it makes a brilliant display of electric orange flowers in spring before the leaves appear and the roots are not aggressive at all. The branches are more corky than woody and other than its annual shed it is a fairly clean tree providing deep shade. It will also grow from a truncheon stuck in the ground so if you have a friend who is planning to prune his ask him for a nice hefty branch an stick it in the ground, it will turn in to a good sized tree next season.

The typical African sight of a flat crowned thorn tree takes a lot to beat and for the area you are in Acacia sieberiana or the paperbark thorn is a great choice, it does not grow as huge as the galpinii and reaches a sensible 12(h) X 16(w) m. The leaves are fine and will drop in to the grass without you noticing it and will not stop or block a pool cleaner.

Speaking of typical African trees how about a marula tree? It will grow quite rapidly at about 1,5m per year with only one small problem the tree is either male or female and only the female tree produces fruit

If you are set against a deciduous tree I would look at the white karee, it grows fast given enough water and with a bit of pruning will provide shade in a few years.

Wat ek wel sou aanraai is om daardie populiere op die oop grond langsaan in te doen, die goed suie tot 600l water per dag en gooi 'n taai gom affre af wat maak dat niks onder of naby hulle wil groei nie. As hulle groot raak breek wind ook gereeld takke af wat karre kan beskadig. Kontak die mislikepaliteit en kyk of hulle sal help. Hulle is as 'n ongewensde indringer spesie verklaar en miskien help hulle dalk net

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for Metalian & Tentco
Follow us on Facebook

Last edited by hbannink; 07-05-12 at 03:20 AM.
Old 07-05-12, 06:50 AM

Thanks Oom vir die goeie post, ek sal defnitief na die ekstra opsies kyk. Ek hou ook baie van die Marula, nie mal oor 'n doringboom in die erf nie, maar daar is nou baie goeie opsies.

Hou ook baie van daai Coral tree!

Tannie Elize - Ek het bietjie gelees oor die Camphor boom maar dit lyk of hy uitheems is ?

2012 Scott Aspect 30

Old 07-05-12, 02:21 PM

Wat van 'n bloekomboom in die voortuin en haak-en-steek of wag-'n-bietjie-bos teen die heining om die bure aan hulle kant te hou?

Last edited by Jislaaik; 07-05-12 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-05-12, 02:27 PM

Bloekoms suip baie water sover ek verstaan en is geneig om dreinpype te terroriseer met hulle wortels.

2012 Scott Aspect 30

Old 07-05-12, 02:36 PM

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...eFwlBVlmQXkyow

Die Essenhout (Cape Ash) is 'n mooi boom wat vols sal lok as dit groot is.

Old 07-05-12, 07:26 PM
Commercial Member

Die Camphor boom - ek weet nie. Maar in die tuin by ons besigheid is een - seker 50 jaar oud, die grootste en dikste skadu - ons buurman het verlede jaar 20 by ons bestel om te plant.

Onthou net, as jy baie bome gaan plant gaan die gras nie groei nie.

Ek sien jy is in Pretoria, wat van daardie pragtige Koorsboom (Acacia xanthophloea) Dit is kenmerkend vir sy lemmetjiegroen stam, groei vinnig, tot 3 m in die eerste jaar, Groei regop en ideaal vir die groter tuin.

en ry saam met SarelF in
VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
Sarel 0828209413

Vir Tuinpotte en pavers - Kontak gerus Elize by 0827814327

Old 08-05-12, 06:42 AM

Thanks almal

Beste opsie dink ek is dan Essenhout en die Koorsboom. Ek sukkel net om te besluit tussen die Cape Ash of die Rooi Essenhout. Die Rooi Essenhout is vir my mooier, maar dis 'n tropiese boom en hou nie van ryp nie so weet nie of dit so lekker in Centurion gaan werk nie.

Dankie vir al die raad ! Ek sal seker die naweek plant !

2012 Scott Aspect 30

Old 08-05-12, 09:32 AM

I think - through practical experience - that Wit Stinkhout is a waste of time. It drops all its leaves and seeds once a year and as soon as the leaves are cleaned up, the seeds germinate. Geelhout is fine, Essenhout is also a pleasure. The trick is in the planting of the tree...

When you buy the tree while it is still in its bag at the nursery, make a mark on the trunk, indicating North. When you replant, the tree’s branches and leaves will be orientated in the direction that it grew in previously and there won’t be any slowdown in growth. If you don’t, it is going to take a while for the tree to re - orient itself towards the sun and in the process, slowing vertical growth.

Second thing thats important is to prepare a big hole. Dig it quite deep, mix two bags of crushed charcoal, a double hand full of bone meal, a wheelbarrow of sand, handfull of fertilizer and some compost into the soil that comes out of the hole. Refill half of the hole with the mixture and then half fill the hole with water.

When you take the tree out of its bag, loosen the rootball and when take notice of where the soil level line is on the trunk. Don’t replant the tree deeper than that.

See how it fits into the hole, add more soil or make the hole deeper and the position the tree, keeping orientation in mind. Add the rest of the soil and make sure that there is enough water to keep it sloppy.

Make sure the tree is not top heavy - trim some of the branches. Support the tree if needed. It is preferable to have a single stem to give the tree hight. If you leave too many branches, the tree will become shrubby and low, will blow over easily, will have too many growth points meaning that vertical growth will slow down.

Unless it is very hot or very dry, don’t overwater, The charcoal will act as a water trap keeping the roots damp. A bit of drought will force the tree to look for water and in the process create a deep strong root system. That is the reason for the big hole - acts as a nutrient and water trap. The charcoal contains all the minerals that the tree needs for the rest of its life and it is an a form that will slow release.

The Koorsboom is pretty but wants to grow in damp soil - edge of a wetland. Its roots and thorns becomes a problem.

Trek 29 Rumblefish.

Last edited by Krisjan; 08-05-12 at 09:39 AM. Reason: kommentaar op Koorsboom
Old 08-05-12, 10:43 AM

Ek staan nou net en dink terwyl ek ’n Essenhout snoei - wat ek ’n jaar terug geplant het en wat nou seker 5 meter hoog is - dat ’n mens ook jou keuse m.b.t. die boom wat jy wil plant en dan moet versorg, ook vanuit ’n insig oor waar die boom natuurlik voorkom, moet maak.

Geelhout groei in digte woude. Hulle groei in skaduwee met hulle voete in ’n dik laag kompos wat vir lang tye klam bly en aanmekaar voorsien word met nuwe dooie blare. Interessant is dat grond in ’n woud, eintlik baie swak is. Dis gewoonlik baie vlak en die ondergrond is of klei of klip. Dit forseer die boom om op die oppervlak onder die blare na kos ( stikstof ) te soek en dit verklaar ook hoekom groot bome omval in woude. Moenie onder die boom karring met ’n graaf of vurk nie. Jy trek die boom se tande as jy die haarworteljies afsteek. Gee die boom gereeld lig kos - gebruik gewone blaarvoeding; toegedien op die wortels elke week, gaan dit die boom vinnig en dig laat groei. Die houtskool in die grond absorbeer die kunsmis water en stel dit dan wees stadig vry soos die grond uitdroog. Probeer om die siklus in die woud te verstaan en dit sal jou vertel oor hoe die Geelhout boom graag wil groei.

Moenie baie verwagtinge vir die hout koester nie - omdat die boom vinnig groei gaan die hout baie sag wees , miskien kan jou pensioen stokperdjie eendag beeldhou wees!

Volgende keer as jy by Akasias verby ry, neem kennis dat die gras onder die bome gewoonlik dig en baie groen is. Akasias doen stikstof binding ( soos boontjies en ertjies ) en die gras wat onder die bome groei, hou van die ekstra stikstof. Plant ’n Akasia en die boom is gou groot. Die gras groei netso vinnig en dig onder die boom en daars baie wilde lewe in die boom.. Prys wat jy betaal is om skoon te maak onder die boom en skoene te dra as jy dit doen.
Miskien kaggel hout moontlikhede. As jy jou gebied merk teen jou jong boompie se stam ( wat jy MOET doen! ) spuit agterna ’n skoot water met die tuislang om die bokram reuk bietjie te tem en om die Ureum in die grond in te was.

Maar ’n boom groei net sos ’n kind - baie goed met genoeg aandag! Beplan hoe jy die boom wil laat lyk, waar jy groot takke wil he en hoe hoog moet hulle wees? So ’n doringboom tak is die idiale ding om ’n ou Landy se enjin mee te lig met ’n geroeste block & tackle. Of ’n ou Cruiser sin...

Snoei die boom gereeld en saag dooie takke af en geniet die proses om ’n boom groot te maak. Onthou, elke boom wat jy suksesvol plant is ’n monument vir jouself...

Trek 29 Rumblefish.

Last edited by Krisjan; 08-05-12 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-05-12, 11:14 AM

I know its not indigenous but an Avacado tree might be a good option. They grow big fast and produce nice fruit, attract wildlife etc.
Old 08-05-12, 11:26 AM

Default Hoeveld bome

Hi! Hier is 'n lys van inheemse bome spesifiek vir ons area wat opgestel is deur 'n bekende klub in SA! Hoop dit kan help in jou besluit neming. Al hierdie bome vaar goed met ons ryp! Terwyl hulle jonk is maak maar toe vir die koue, en met n bietjie versorging en liefde sal j vinnig 'n skaduryke boom he! Het self die naweek 5x huilboerbone geplant, asook 10x koorsbome!

Sterkte en lekker gate grou!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Trees_Garden_Highveld.pdf (329.3 KB, 183 views)

-Dual Battery System
-Roofrack
-50l Water tank
-Longrange tank
-Outback Drawer System
-Echo RTT

Old 08-05-12, 11:31 AM

Baie dankie Krisjan. Dalk vir eers net twee Essenhout bome plant en kyk hoe dit gaan. Hoe ver sou jy reken moet mens dit van die muur af plant en hoe naby kan ek die twee aan mekaar plat ? Die Cape Ash of die Rooi Essenhout ?

Scritz - Think Pretoria is to hot and dry for an Avo tree ?

2012 Scott Aspect 30

Old 08-05-12, 11:33 AM

Scritz

Avo trees can grow huge, but not all trees bear fruit.

Does anyone have experience with pecan nut trees? How aggressive are their roots? Am I correct in saying they have a tap ( penwortel) root? If so they shouldn't be an issue with walls and paving.

Old 08-05-12, 12:01 PM

NetEddy - Die ding met ’n Avo is dat daai avo ’n missiel word as die boom groot is. In Duiwelskloof agter die Imp Inn het ’n klomp groot bome gestaan - lieflik! Maar niemand kon daar parkeer nie want die avo’s val jou kar vol duike...

Ek weet nie - m.b.t. die Essenhoute. Merk op die grasperk die sirkel wat die boom se takke gaan maak en kyk hoeveel overlap is daar. Onthou die wortels groei sover as wat die takke lank is - sodat die dou wat op die blare kondenseer op die wortels kan drup.

As jy kos en water gaan gee en gaan snoei, kan jy selfs drie bome ’n paar meter van mekaar af plant. Maar beplan nou al watter boom die dominante een gaan wees. Plant dan die sterkste plant in daai posisie en snoei die ander twee in form -jy wil nie die boom wat jy eendag gaan hou, ongebalanseerd snoei nie en jy kan nie ’n afgesaagte tak terug vas-spyker nie!

Drie bome saam sal gou ’n fokuspunt op jou grasperk wees en hulle gaan met mekaar kompeteer en vinnig groei.

Trek 29 Rumblefish.

Old 08-05-12, 12:05 PM

Wicd - The Pecan trees that I have noticed all grows in places like Tzaneen at the foothills of the Wolkberge and at Nelspruit, Sabie and Graskop, in the hills. I think they want heat, moisture and warm winters. Might be a problem in Kimberley and Centurion.

I have never seen them used in town.

Trek 29 Rumblefish.

Old 08-05-12, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisjan View Post
Wicd - The Pecan trees that I have noticed all grows in places like Tzaneen at the foothills of the Wolkberge and at Nelspruit, Sabie and Graskop, in the hills. I think they want heat, moisture and warm winters. Might be a problem in Kimberley and Centurion.
I have never seen them used in town.
Where I live (the lowest valley next to Grabouw) , the pecan trees grow at the speed of light. Squirrels plant the nuts everywhere and I must regularly pull them out, otherwise I will have a pecan forest! Frost occurs about twice a year, but that is not a problem as it is a deciduous tree. Branches tend to break of in high winds, especially when it is loaded with green pods. Like any fruit tree it needs a lot of attention, nutrition and pruning.

An Eureka lemon tree will always be in my yard. It has beautiful foliage and after a couple of years will bear fruit right through the year and who does not use lemons!

Last edited by BarnieH; 08-05-12 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-05-12, 12:27 PM

Krisjan

Hier naby is ouens wat boer met hulle, so ek glo hulle sal ok wees. Volgens wat ek lees wil hulle koue winters he (check) met ryp (check) en warm somers (check)

Ek het miskien bietjie 'n ander siening maar voel dat ek iets wil terugkry uit my tuin uit vir al die water, kunsmis en tyd wat ek bestee. So die plan is om 'n Mophead wat my paving lig uit te haal en met die pekan te vervang. Die neut boom sal ook meer skadu gee.

Old 08-05-12, 01:46 PM

My ouers bly in Bethlehem en hulle het 4 Pecan Neut bome in die erf wat neute dra laat dit wit sit. My boetie boer naby Tweespruit en hy het 'n 500 boom plantasie op die plaas wat hulle oes en gebruik dit in die bakkery.

2012 Scott Aspect 30

Old 08-05-12, 02:48 PM

My vote also goes for the “Rooi Essenhout” (Natal Mahogany), and it has a tap root so your walls and pavements are fine –you’ll see them all over the pavements right next to the road in Durban -lovely dark green leaves, they keep their leaves, and tough – I had one as an outside potplant in JHB and it survived the cold JHB winters.
Hbannink & Krisjan some excellent advice there for the rest of us as well, and the pecan & marula tree advises also something different! Interesting thread this.

Old 08-05-12, 10:56 PM

Eduan, 700 vierkante meter gee vir my rofweg 27 m x26 m area. Sommige groot bome se kroon deursnee is maklik 25 meter as hulle eers groot is. Neem dit ook in ag.

Old 09-05-12, 02:41 PM

Sal so maak dankie Barnie

2012 Scott Aspect 30