logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > General (non vehicle/technical) 4x4 Discussions

4x4Community

Notices

General (non vehicle/technical) 4x4 Discussions Any 4x4 related topic, for which there is no other specific Section.

Old 09-09-06, 08:29 PM

Ouarzazate Member
Default Hell driver ace dies?

I don't know who of you were into so called "Hell Drivers" scene at Goodwood in the 1970's, but I was... Spotted a death notice in last week's Burger, stating that Louis Borel Saladin has died. Still remember the name - who would not? Nostalgia is getting the better of me these days, I am afraid

Old 09-09-06, 08:37 PM

Andre Member
Default Re: Hell driver ace dies?

I remember him well. Way above average driver. Went to Goodwood early to get a seat in the back row so that one could stand up and watch the action.After the races we would go down in the arena to look at all the wrecks.

I actually attended the last meeting at Goodwood and afterwards just never bothered to go to Killarney.

Old 09-09-06, 09:29 PM

Deon Member

Stock cars at Goodwood...how can I forget! Still remember names like Fontini, Deon de Waal, Doep du Plessis, Johnny Clifton and the like...and the commentator Rufus Papenfuss. Those were the days..

Old 09-09-06, 09:43 PM

Ouarzazate Member

I have lots of slides of variable quality taken of some of those "methanol monsters". But agree, things have never been the same after Goodwood. Just last weekend I attended the Cape Home Expo in CTICC, nothing different from the old April Cape Show (which had one night of Hell Drivers amongst all the agricultural exhibitions), just a little bit more expensive. But then again, I remember my parents also complaining in 1966 about the prices . BTW, why can't we organise a worthwhile motor show in Cape Town? There seems to be enough enthusiasm?

Old 10-09-06, 04:45 PM

ZuluCowboy Member

Anyone remember "Popeye" King..... used to live next dooe to us....

Oh, and an Isuzu 280DT.

Old 10-09-06, 04:54 PM
Ek se mos

Spike Member

Quote:
just never bothered to go to Killarney
Stockies on tar at Killarney sucks. Goodwood was unique.

You know how it all started? Back in the old days the WPMC at Killarney were struggling and they arranged a demo at the agricultural show to try and promote Killarney. It was so popular that it just took off. The closure was very sad.

* "Wat Spike probeer sę in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
.................................................. .....

Old 10-09-06, 06:57 PM

Ouarzazate Member

And then there was the so-called "hot rods", probably more correctly termed "sprint cars". Just a frame, a gearbox, a VERY short propshaft, massive steering wheel, and then a huge V8 up front. The only name I can remember at present is Kotie Malan. One of the best known guys was definitely Jack Holloway. I remember also a bar under the grandstand, where one had to watch out, especially refrain from criticising drivers. You would never know if one of his biggest fans was within hearing distance ...

Old 10-09-06, 07:22 PM

JohnDough Member

As a teenager I remember going to Dunswart Stadium in Boksburg to watch these guys, the only name that I can remember was Buddy Fuller. They even towed caravans around a figure of 8 track in a demolition derby. We used to climb on the roof of the grandstand to get a better view.

Old 10-09-06, 09:02 PM

Roll-on Member

Deon de Waal was die man!!
Ek het daardie jare ice creams veroop daar.

Old 11-09-06, 06:37 AM

wayne Member

Onthou julle nog die jaar toe die bikes met die sidecars van Amerika daar kom jaag het. Suid Afrika se manne het hulle mos 'n pakslae gegee. Daar was ook die Anglia wat se body verkeerd-om op die onderstel was. Wat van die spectators race. Goeie ou dae.

Old 19-03-11, 09:36 AM

open road Member

Spectator's race vind nog plaas.So n ruk terug het ek weer die voorreg gehad om oom De Waal te sien jaag in Datsun 300c automatic.Eerste race heel agter begin en tweede geeindig.Die ander twee het hy ook agter begin en gewen.Na die wedrenne klaar was het hy nog n stunt ook gedoen.
Old 19-03-11, 10:21 AM

XJ Junkie Member

We used to go regularly. Deon de Waal is the name that I remember best. Very entertaining bunch of drivers
Old 19-03-11, 11:17 AM

silverspiders Member

Alle wereld !!!!

Some of my best memories are of my Dad waking me up, having to put on my dressing gown and heading for GOOOODWOOOOD as a little kid.

My hero was Jessie Hugget - who can forget that beetle and his charges to the front !

I went to the first few events at Killarney - it sucked, so have never been back. Gravel gives more excitement and Goodwood just felt right. I have been to some speedway events in Europe and those purpose built venues (like goodwood) are/were great.

Old 19-03-11, 11:33 AM

silverspiders Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouarzazate View Post
I have lots of slides of variable quality taken of some of those "methanol monsters". But agree, things have never been the same after Goodwood. Just last weekend I attended the Cape Home Expo in CTICC, nothing different from the old April Cape Show (which had one night of Hell Drivers amongst all the agricultural exhibitions), just a little bit more expensive. But then again, I remember my parents also complaining in 1966 about the prices . BTW, why can't we organise a worthwhile motor show in Cape Town? There seems to be enough enthusiasm?
Wow, talk about memories. I grew up in Pinelands and the Cape show was an "institution". CTICC is great but can never make up for the gees of goodwood !

Old 21-03-11, 08:54 AM

Ore Member

Rip Louis
I missed very few races in the seventies. Was a laatie then and used to go with my dad. Spent many hours in the bar under the main stand with the old man, when the manne sometimes did not agree on the tactics of the winner.

Cape Hell Drivers

History

In 1968 the Cape Hell Drives was established at Goodwood Show grounds by the following members:
Jack Holloway (Chairman), Jean Holloway, Joe Marchinkowski, John Geldenhuys, Deon De Waal, Ina De Waal, Bill Lenz, Ray Butters Karel Groenewald, Abie Drotschie, Johan Tullekin, Eric Bryan, Doep Du Plessis en Popeye King.
In those days, there was no governing body, except, of course the club rules. It was however required, that all drivers had to have a Cape Hell Drivers Membership / License and proof of third party insurance.
In the beginning, only the V8 class existed and was later joined by the 6 cylinders, 4 cylinders (known as Factory Stocks) and lastly the Midgets. As Abie Drotschie says “There were 300 cars and 10 rules. Now, there are 10 cars and 300 rules.

All drivers drivers ran under the “Tap and Spin” rule, pretty easy to follow, I tap you once, if you tap once, if you don’t get out of the way, I spin you out. Even crossing the infield to catch someone on the other side, to repay a favour, was allowed. Of course this kept the spectators coming back for more.
Stock Cars in general, during the early years, was rated the second most watched sport in South Africa. Unfortunately, Rugby, even back then, had the top spot. The Cape Hell Drivers has always attracted the crowds, with their “home grown” stun team, which comprised of Jack Holloway, Deon de Waal, Johan Tulleken en later Andre Frylinck. Even the Canadian Hell Drivers were not prepared to attempt some of the stunts our boys attempted.

The Stunt Team’s performance, continually had the crowds on their feet with Ramp to Ramp stunts, The Roman Chariot Riders, four cars on two wheels all at the same time, and anything else that made their hearts pump faster. Summing it up, nothing was impossible in the eyes of the “Cape Hell Drivers Stunt Team”. Later, these guys formed the group “The Gunston Stunt Team” and their shows were always hel in association with charitable events.
Late 1994, early 1995, the Cape Hell Drives were informed that Sun West International had bought the property at Goodwood. The Committee immediately started negotiations with Sun West, but after many meetings, they were turned down.
The committee considered the option of building a track in Black Heath or joining arms with the Western Province Motor Club at Killarney Raceway. The Black Heath community soon drew up a petition, and that idea was then discarded. Andrew Fontini (Chairman at the time), Abie Drotschie and Nic van Rensburg decided to meet with Dennis Joubert of the Western Province Motor Club. Very quickly the two parties came to an agreement, and the Cape Hell Drivers had found a new Home!

Just before relocating to Goodwood, the Cape Hell Drivers, were not prepared to go out without a bang, and decided to bring an American team and their vehicles (V8 late models) to South Africa. This was something that no other club had done. Man, did they run serious power machines that we were not accustomed to! A real eye opener, to the way an Oval track should be run and a spectacular event to watch.

Last edited by Ore; 21-03-11 at 01:08 PM.
Old 21-03-11, 09:22 PM

ChrisF Member

Ore now you are taking me down memory lane.

I grew up at that track. Andre was my dad, and was one of the guys that helped to build the Goodwood circuit. He race the red and white "Frylinck for Lime" cars..

The stunt team was very close to his hart.

Cant remember the name of the lady that stood on the roof of the stunt cars ...

I was only about 5 years old at the time.
Old 22-03-11, 06:33 AM
ORA

OFFROAD ADDICT Member

I was virtually at every meeting, as a spectator naturally, these were an exciting events to watch at the Goodwood Show Grounds.
I also became addicted to that fuel smell. I didnt like the caravan races, that was just stupid i thinks .
I also saw stock cars at Wembly stadium in Joburg, but don't know if it exists today.

-------------------------

GP

ATLANTIS FUN DAY 25 OCT 2014...look at website. The biggest offroad event in the cape
Ian
IOA .Independent offroad association
D22 Datsun Hardbody.
4WDCSA...VHF ZUS2761......29MHZ ZRF430
Dedicated to offroad lifestyle.
RHINO ANTI POACHING SUPPORT
Arrive Alive South Africa | 4x4 Off-Road Driving Techniques & Safety
ORRA WC20

Old 22-03-11, 10:22 AM

DouglasN Member

We used to go watch one of our Teachers, Brookes, race at godwood, then on monday the car went throough the various workshops at school until it was fixed & ready for the next race.