logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Vehicle & Technical Chat > Isuzu

4x4Community

Isuzu Go BIG!

Old 27-01-13, 08:27 PM

Default Isuzu 320 Questions

Hi guys and girls.
2 Weeks back i bought myself my first bakkie, a 1999 Isuzu 320 S/C, unfortunately not 4x4.
Drove bakkie home from Bloem and it runs great.
Previous owner gave me the SAC chip for the bakkie.
He said it is off the bakkie because the bakkie had some kind of issue, he thought it was the chip causing this and took it of and sent the chip in to SAC to test. SAC tested it an said the chip is 100%. He then took the bakkie to the local Isuzu dealer, they ran some tests and found the fault to be a heat sensor, replaced that and the bakkie was 100%, he has just not had a chance to put the chip back.

Being new to customizing a vehicle i have some questions.

1. It is my understanding that when fitting a chip they have to dyno the bakkie and make changes to some settings and that it can be set for fuel efficiency or power, is this true?

2. Being that the chip came off the bakkie (and not another bakkie) and assuming SAC dyno'd the bakkie when fitting the chip the first time, can i just connect the wires for the chip again myself (if i can find the wires), or do i have to take it in to SAC and have them fit and dyno again?

3. Assuming the bakkie was dyno'd by SAC and set up for the chip, will it make any differences to fuel consumption just to remove the chip without any changes as the previous owner did?

Thanx guys!
Old 28-01-13, 06:27 PM

Best thing to do is let them install it for u,if anything goes wrong u know it was done by proffesionals.the chip connects to the comp box u wouldn't wanna take a chance.
Old 29-01-13, 09:30 PM

Anyone else?
Old 27-03-13, 09:46 PM

No.
Good advice that.

---------------------------------------------------------------

1979 Landrover Series 3 88" Ford 3.0 V6 - Build Thread
1980 Landrover Range Rover 3.5 V8 SOLD - Build Thread
1979 Landrover S2A 109" with Chev 4.1 SOLD

Old 28-03-13, 08:43 AM

Ask Brosdoring, he knows the 3,2's very well!
Old 28-03-13, 12:01 PM

Philip, I had 3 320s, my single cab was the fastest 320 I have driven to date, the videos is on youtube, it killed a lot of bigger bakkies on 400m, though a bakkie is not a race car i am petrol crazy and simply love shear power... Only my double cab was chipped and they laziest by far.... Forget to think you will score better fuel consumption... A chip is a tool, to communicate with the ecu and to make adjustments to the ecu and tune for a specific A/F... If there is seriously modifications made to the vehicle, you can chip it to "fine tune it".... The Hitachi management system is superior, people can tell me what they want, John Concie said to me before he died that the system can adjust itself so well and so "far" that you can run the Alpine supercharger kit without the piggyback that they sold years ago, you only need to fit a walbro or inline pump to make sure it will get anough fuel... i know of 3 supercharge 320s that runs with no chip, even the 7th injector has been removed...
In other words the air flow sensor and lamda tells the ecu it should supply enough fuel for the amount of air coming in, a bit more complicated then that that though...
the best you can do with that bakkie is branches, y pipe, properexhaust system and intake mod.... It will wake a 320 like you wont believe... The 320s has some sort of restriction welded into the "OEM" down pipes, you can remove them, but I would go branches... I have just fitted my frontier with branches, Y pipe like the old bro speed and induction mod/filter.... this old ugly car is seriously fast... 0 - 100 with gps on torque pro is under 10 seconds at 3000 ft... i bet it will run mid 9s at sealevel... I just came from Hartenbos, in fact the system was build there from a guy who has done the 360s system as well, I told him what I wanted and that's it... Its amazing how this ugly car can give the new ones a real hiding... 320 V6 is the bloody best motor ever, tough reliable industructable...
Please I don't say a chip is a waste, but with filters and pipes, I would not chip my bakkie again... I bet so many companies don't know what they are doing, Be careful who you take your vehicle to, thats all i am trying to say, its like jetting a banshee, to fat and you will loose serious power...
I've wrote more then I should, would you make it lighter on fuel with a chip? No, you won't even notice it, I know to much people who want to "fix" their v6 fuel consumption with a chip /filter/freeflow... Better flow, more air, this means leaner burning rate, the ecu will add fuel to adjust the a/f correctly.... Yes more power at certain rpm without a heavy foot might score you a few extra meters per litre lighter, but its a sale gimmick, you will want to rev it and then it will suck juice.... I have seen dyno graphs and drove 320s after chipped, I don't believe the amount gain, gimmick I tell you.. Diesels you will score power, but fuel consumption will go up (edit)....!! My opinion and experience....
A V6 will never give you wow fuel figures... In fact my KB360 with speed control on 120km/h will give you 8.5 guaranteed... but it can also give you 4.... :-)
I bet so many vehicles get back yard chipping, way rich, that it would actually loose power and consumption....

Last edited by Brosdoring; 28-03-13 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-04-13, 07:43 PM

Brosdoring could you please put photo's up of your exhaust system. I was also advised by Power flow not to put branches on my 320 frontier. The thing is I don't think my down pipes will last much longer so I need to start looking at alternatives.

Beauty might be in the eye of the beholder but there is just no ugly side to a frontier. I fall in love every time I walk into my garage. If my wife would allow me I would put a window in the wall between my tv room and garage so that I could look at her without needing to go in to the garage.

Last edited by open road; 01-04-13 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-04-13, 08:43 PM

I will have to take pics when its on the "lift" again...
Why do they "advise" not to fit branches? I know there is a tad more cabin noise, but its not much... This system sounds like a banshee, it "whistles" not that UGLY roaring sound... A good exhaust builder will easily be able to build new down pipes...
Old 01-04-13, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirishzn View Post
Best thing to do is let them install it for u,if anything goes wrong u know it was done by proffesionals.the chip connects to the comp box u wouldn't wanna take a chance.
I agree.

Old 01-04-13, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosdoring View Post
I will have to take pics when its on the "lift" again...
Why do they "advise" not to fit branches? I know there is a tad more cabin noise, but its not much... This system sounds like a banshee, it "whistles" not that UGLY roaring sound... A good exhaust builder will easily be able to build new down pipes...
I think my question to them was if the power gain would be worth the effort. I rather like the angry roar more so when I struggle to keep my road rage in check.