logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Camping, Fridges, Accessories

4x4Community

Camping, Fridges, Accessories All those other small items relating to vehicle accessories, camping.

Old 23-06-07, 01:07 PM

Default "COBB" Braai

Ken iemand die Cobb braaier, is dit die geld werd? Ek weet dit is maar klein, maar dit is gwoonlik net ek en die vrou. Ek wil nie altyd my groot braaier gebruik net vir ons twee nie.
Old 23-06-07, 01:34 PM

My father in law has one. Works very well, but I don't like the taste it leaves on everything.... that burnt paper smell when you use briquettes...

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

4WDCSA-WC, Pajero Club

Old 23-06-07, 02:15 PM

Location: Tswane se gat ek bly nog lekker hier in Pretoria!!!
Thumbs up

Mine works fine, I have not experienced the burnt paper smell that Simon refers too. Might have to do with the type of brickets you use.

When I bought mine they did not have the model with the Stainless Steel outer available, but the dam Saleseman convinced me that the one I have (black mesh outside cover) was exactly the same except for the material of the outer layer.

But subsequently I found out that the SS one can be taken apart which makes it easier too clean. I also bought an extra wire grill to use on it and it works great, and there are also other paltes and stuff you can fit onto it.

But buy he SS-outer model rather.

Old 23-06-07, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
My father in law has one. Works very well, but I don't like the taste it leaves on everything.... that burnt paper smell when you use briquettes...
Apparently only the compressed briquettes may be used. That is the same that I use on my normal braai (when wood is not availlable) , and I never experianced a paper smell. Is this only apperant to the Cobb braai?
Old 23-06-07, 05:10 PM

Location: Tswane se gat ek bly nog lekker hier in Pretoria!!!
Wink

As I said it never bothered me before.

Old 23-06-07, 06:30 PM
Administrator

My experience, great with chicken (if you really have to do chicken), but I've had no success with red meat.

DASHCAMS NOW AVAILABLE IN THE ONLINE SHOP!
R1795.00 including postage and 32gig MicroSD card.
R1895.00 including courier delivery and Micro32gig SD card.
EFT and Credit Card payments available.
Click here to purchase.

Old 23-06-07, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan View Post
Apparently only the compressed briquettes may be used. That is the same that I use on my normal braai (when wood is not availlable) , and I never experianced a paper smell. Is this only apperant to the Cobb braai?
These were the compressed briquettes... The Cobb (as with a weber with closed vents) effectively seals whatever smoke you get in with the food, and the briquettes leave a funny taste, which is why I only ever use charcoal in a Weber

Anyway, it's just a personal thing. I just don't like it.

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

4WDCSA-WC, Pajero Club

Old 23-06-07, 11:47 PM
ORA

Talking

i use charcoal briquets in my cob. i will never buy another one though, hell to clean, the trough that is.
Old 24-06-07, 07:44 AM

Default Not impressed

We borrowed a friend's Cobb once to see if we like it before buying one. Fussy operation, difficult cleaning, price counted against it.
We ended up buying a small stainless steel braai/smoker for 1/4 of the price and it's still doing an excellent job after 5 years. Looks like a little s/s drum on legs with dooden handle on top when closed. Open, it has 2 grids for braaiing, one in each halve. Closed, you can use it for smoking. Available at Outdoor W/H & other camping shops.
Old 24-06-07, 08:36 AM
Commercial Member: Cobrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrie View Post
We borrowed a friend's Cobb once to see if we like it before buying one. Fussy operation, difficult cleaning, price counted against it.
We ended up buying a small stainless steel braai/smoker for 1/4 of the price and it's still doing an excellent job after 5 years. Looks like a little s/s drum on legs with dooden handle on top when closed. Open, it has 2 grids for braaiing, one in each halve. Closed, you can use it for smoking. Available at Outdoor W/H & other camping shops.
Got the same thing. Got it from Autozone for R200. Works like a charm.

Old 24-06-07, 10:08 AM

Angry "COBB" braai

Thanks for the input guys. Went to Outdoor w/h this morning. At +-R1400 with extras I seriously have to reconsider !
Old 24-06-07, 11:35 PM

Well, one thing I know is that the Cobb is certainly economical on briquettes. I borrowed my dad's one for a weekend camp recently, and when I wanted to put on more than ten briquettes, all the guys there who'd had experience with it told me to take them off again. Six to eight is the suggested number, they say.

I cooked chicken sosaties and some pork chops on it one night and a steak the next. I didn't keep an eye on the steak as I should have, so it was a bit overdone. Must say I'm not convinced that a closed environment is ideal for cooking steak anyway though. The sosaties and pork chops turned out very nice.

I think it depends what you want to do with it. If you're going to use it at home most of the time I'd say a small braai would work just as well. Those little stainless steel ones mentioned earlier seem very nice for the money and you can use them to smoke things too, as mentioned.

I like the closed bottom of the Cobb for travelling. You don't have to clean it before putting it in the car, because as long as it stays upright nothing will fall out of it. Take it home from a picnic, for instance, and clean it there. My dad's one's lid doesn't have a very stable fit though. It's as if the lip around the edge isn't deep enough, but I've noticed the new ones' lids have a much better fit.

Oh, and they won't force you to buy it with all the extras right away , so the "+- R1 400" doesn't fly. And if you do like it people will have suitable birthday and Christmas gifts to give you for at least the next couple of years!
Old 25-06-07, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan View Post
Ken iemand die Cobb braaier...
Ek gebruik 'n Cobb die laaste 18 maande al:
Voordele: Klein en mobiel (neem min spasie op); vleis, wors, hoender, groente is sag en nie uitgedroog nie; kan binne in die tent/huis gebruik word as dit reŽn; Drasak baie gerieflik; perfek vir twee mense; prys redelik as jy nie al die ekstra's koop nie - myne was R699.00 met 'n addisionele braaipan ingesluit op 'n spesiale aanbieding.
Nadele: Bitter min. Vandat 'BANG' skoonmaakmiddels op die mark gekom het maak dit die skoonmaakproses baie makliker; werk net behoorlik met 'Charcoal' brikette (niks anders nie).

Ek stem saam dat R1400.00 te duur is. Neem aan dat dit die vleklose staal een is.

Old 25-06-07, 09:50 AM

Default Cobb

Mine works fine, we use ours once a month at competitions. It takes about an hour for food to be ready, the aroma drives averybody around us insane, and we end up with mouth drooling results.

Yes the Cobb is small, we often do a whole chicken (spat cock style), but with a roll or two, we normally feed 4 adults.

I also made the mistake of getting the one with black mesh around outside, (it is a bitch to clean)

Tip: spay all the inside surfaces with spray and cook prior to use, do not use blitz, use the clean burning fuel the Cobb supplies, or get the green Bio Heat burning fluel, from co op.

I have never experienced the burnt paper smell, and only use Charka brickets . Clean with oven cleaner, and a pot scourer commonly found on wifes kitchen zinc (the one with sponge on the one side).

Remember cleaning your Cobb is like cleaning your bakkie after a 4x4 outing, it has to be done.

AB
Old 25-06-07, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christo View Post
Ek gebruik 'n Cobb die laaste 18 maande al:
Voordele: Klein en mobiel (neem min spasie op); vleis, wors, hoender, groente is sag en nie uitgedroog nie; kan binne in die tent/huis gebruik word as dit reŽn; Drasak baie gerieflik; perfek vir twee mense; prys redelik as jy nie al die ekstra's koop nie - myne was R699.00 met 'n addisionele braaipan ingesluit op 'n spesiale aanbieding.
Nadele: Bitter min. Vandat 'BANG' skoonmaakmiddels op die mark gekom het maak dit die skoonmaakproses baie makliker; werk net behoorlik met 'Charcoal' brikette (niks anders nie).

Ek stem saam dat R1400.00 te duur is. Neem aan dat dit die vleklose staal een is.
Christo, ja dit is die vlekvrye staal een of die "Premier" soos hulle dit noem.

Prys soos volg: Basiese braaier R749.95
Wok R249.95
Frying pan R269.95
Roast rack R 79.95
Cook book R 69.95
----------
R1419.75 Drasak R79.95(nie beskikbaar op die oomblik) Ek is nog steeds lus vir hom, en sal seker een gaan koop. Baie lekker kompak, veral vir die Xplorer wat nie baie pakplek het nie.
Old 25-06-07, 05:07 PM

I have one and havnt looked back. When the missus and I go for a drive I put it in the back of the bakkie and lit it with a whole chicken inside. When we get to whereever we going the chicken is done, and I only have to open the cold beers.
Old 26-06-07, 12:56 PM
BVR

Hell die Cobs is Koning,

Ek gebruik myne gereeld . Lekker vinnig en maklik. Ons het in die rigtersveld n lekker boudjie daarin gemaal , met groente. So langs die rivier het hy lekker gewerk. Die aand toe ons braai , toe eet die girls lekker terwyl die manne lekker chops en dop gebruik........lol
Old 26-06-07, 01:14 PM

Ek het een vir hierdie klein opvou Webers gekry en hy werk perfek. Pak ook lekker klein op vir vervoer. Anderdag weer op special by Trade Centre gesien - Dink dit was hier by die R600

http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/2...eCharcoal.aspx

2007 LR Discovery 3 V8 HSE
1973 LR Series III 88"
2014 Jurgens Xplorer

Last edited by George; 26-06-07 at 01:16 PM.
Old 28-06-07, 12:50 PM

George, I have exactly the same one. They work a treat! My old man has tried many times to swap his Cobb for the little Weber.

I like the fact that I can burn whatever material I like, and it folds up nice and compact + its very easy to clean.

Green Trimtech with yellow racing stripes and 5" Plastic wheels, 21l bucket, 125 Briggs & Stratton motor and a lever that goes from turtle to hare in 1 push.

Old 02-07-07, 11:07 AM

Default Cobb

What have you done with your Cobb today ?.

Yesterday we participated in a league shoot, as they say ďons praat nie uit die slaapkamer uit nieĒ. So by means of pics, I will rather tell you what we did with our Cobb.
  • In the first pic is the start of the day, note the coffee on the brew.
  • Starting breakfast, 6 brickets
  • (Another Cobb accessory) Thanks Cobb, you pay the royalties of this new invention to me.
I modified muffin cups to fit the Cobb
  • 60 min later
  • Breakfast and coffee
  • 14 Brickets later
  • Look at the terrible mess. (oven cleaner and 20 min later)

AB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7 The dirty work.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	6015  
Old 02-07-07, 11:10 AM

Default Cobb in use

Sorry other attachments did not work
Old 02-07-07, 11:17 AM

Default 3 Cobb attempt

AB
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1 Start of day.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	6023   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 Brickets.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	6024   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 Muffin mix.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	6025   Click image for larger version

Name:	4 Baked muffins.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	6026  

Name:	5 Ready to eat.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	6027   Click image for larger version

Name:	6 Luch time.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	6028   Click image for larger version

Name:	7 The dirty work.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	6029  

Last edited by AB vT; 02-07-07 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Attachments did not attach
Old 11-08-08, 01:29 PM

Went to Map & Trail again this weekend. (For the third time)

Swambo wanted a Cobb and we got the last one in stock. Did a 1.6kg chicken yesterday and I must say it was very succulent.

PS Cecil it is all your fault for me spending so much at Map & Trail.
Old 11-08-08, 02:17 PM

I can't believe some of you are having trouble with your COBB's! I've got the old (black) one, and it works like a dream. One of the few products that works exactly as advertised. I don't find it difficult to clean at all. I leave a bit of water in the "moat" which keeps things really moist, and probably helps in cleaning too. The whole thing fits in my sink (a tiny townhouse sink, BTW), and a bit of hot water and "green" and its done. I can clean it thouroughly quicker than I can wash a sink of dishes. A friend of mine puts his in the dishwasher - what a pleasure.

So far I've only used normal braai coal, but I see Mica Home Warehouse (or whatever they're called now) and Marko have the actual "Cobble Stone" fuel.

Its a rip-off (R60 for 6 "stones") but they work like a charm. Ready to cook in less than 10 minutes, and last at least 90 minutes....

Worth a try.

PS - I think the R200 or so more for the stainless steel version is well worth it.

Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 DI-D GLS SWB

Old 11-08-08, 02:35 PM
ORA

You dont always have a kitchen sink with you in the bush but it is a battle to get the thing SPOTLESS clean. Now i just use oven cleaner and it is an improvement. Also when you want to clean it the hot ash or coal has to be chucked out and then your water inh the moat goes with it. This cant be done in the kitchen sink.

But apart from this it is a nice little oven and does all the stuff in your post above.

I dont use brickets, i use charcoal which i find better.

-------------------------

GP

Ian
IOA .Independent offroad association
D22 Datsun Hardbody.
4WDCSA...VHF ZUS2761......29MHZ ZRF430
Dedicated to offroad lifestyle.
RHINO ANTI POACHING SUPPORT
Arrive Alive South Africa | 4x4 Off-Road Driving Techniques & Safety
ORRA WC20

Old 11-08-08, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFFROAD ADDICT View Post
You dont always have a kitchen sink with you in the bush but it is a battle to get the thing SPOTLESS clean. Also when you want to clean it the hot ash or coal has to be chucked out and then your water inh the moat goes with it. This cant be done in the kitchen sink.
For sure, but as long as you have hot water, soap and a sponge, I've never had a problem. I mention this only because I wouldnt want potential buyers to be put off because "its too difficult to clean".

But I agree, when out in the bush, whenever possible, I always prefer cooking over open coals

Old 11-08-08, 03:14 PM

Hierdie Cobb is vir ons (2 persone) die beste ding sedert "sliced bread" Die Cobble Stones mag duur wees maar dit brand skoon en maak geen roet nie. Ek wou al lankal met my gebraaide frikadelle spog. Let op na die tyd op die fotos. Dit brand nogal lank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cobb 002.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	21748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cobb 004.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	21749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cobb 008.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	21750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cobb 014.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	21751  

Name:	Cobb 017.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	21752  

Old 11-08-08, 05:47 PM
ORA

Wink

I must congratulate to guys as this is the first time i have see some nice positive advertising for the COBB.

GP

Ian
D22 Datsun Hardbody.
ORRA WC20

Old 11-08-08, 06:17 PM

I have been using a Cobb for the past 18 months. On camping trips it is just the girlfriend and I and the Cobb is adequate for meals for two people. Have the one with the removeable base which does help cleaning. However, on a camping trip, we only clean the actual Cobb about every 4th day - the rest of the time we just clean the grill or wok or frying pan. And when it does need cleaning, I do the Cobb and Swambo does the rest of the dishes in the same amount of time - it's really not a mission to clean.

For me, when the Cobb showed its true colours was one night camping in a huge storm. Managed to roast a whole chicken to perfection under the gazebo with water pouring in from all sides. It was amazing.

We now only use the Cobb for cooking. It does wonderful bacon or sausages and eggs for brunch and your imagination is the only limit for supper - I was truly amazed at how a beef stir-fry in the bush turns out.

The pros for me: Small, uses very few briquettes (so one bag is enough for an entire holiday), starts easily with green gel, grill is easy to clean and the rest only needs cleaning every few days, the rest is not that bad to clean, all weather, bag holds the Cobb and all accessories together, can move it around (even if hot), can do a whole roast and don't need to wait until the coals are entirely grey (can start cooking with 50% grey).

The cons: I don't think you could cook for more than 2 people, and nothing beats a good wood fire.

By the way, I think the burned paper smell is from fire-lighters. Try using gel - no smell, nothing.

And one last use for a Cobb - if you are home and are going off for the day for a picnic, just pour in some gel and chuck 9 briquettes in the base and stick it in the car. When at your destination, just light it up and you will be ready to cook in 20minutes.

Steve
Callsign and forum ID: ZR6SGN
Vimeo channel: https://vimeo.com/stevenuns
YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/SteveNuns
How many is a brazillian?

Last edited by ZR6SGN; 11-08-08 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-08-08, 07:01 PM

I have been using the Cobb for more than three years and am so impressed with it that I got my mom as well as my FIL one. Big enough for four people, but I have even made hotdogs for the whole office one (3kg boerewors). The biggest advantage is you do not need to worry about food burning.

Start of by getting the Cobb and roasting rack. Make sure to get one that can be dissasembled for easy cleaning, if you can get one of the older ones (with plastic casing) sooooo much better. Check at 4x4Mega World they used to have old stock at good prices. Next get yourself a potjie like the three-legged ones, but with flat bottom, i think the Nr 2 fits perfectly on the cole rack. The other accessories are nice to have, but not essential.

The cobb works well for chicken, wors, chops (leg chops are nice and moits), potjiekos, vegetables, bread and smoking. A bit slow for steak though. I rarely use more than 6 brickets. Even a full potjie for 4 people only use six coles. Always ensure that the coles are almost completely gray before starting to braai, else you get that charcoal taste that SimonB refers to. Ad some whet wood chips and you have a smoker. Remember to spray spray and cook before starting, it helps cleaning, and when at home dissasemble afterwards and put it into the dishwasher (no mess no fuss). For the last few months I have been making a Pastrami in the Cobb every second week and have never been caught without nice sandwich meats again.

Lat time we went to Moz, I took 27 brickets used it every day for 5 days and threw 4 brickets away before returning.

Old 11-08-08, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Went to Map & Trail again this weekend. (For the third time)

PS Cecil it is all your fault for me spending so much at Map & Trail.

Just think of all the money you will save once they close down.

Brackenfell, Cape Town
97 Colt 3L V6 DC Rodeo

Old 12-08-08, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
Just think of all the money you will save once they close down.
Then I will have to go again to save some more money.

Spike you once inquired re the twin head tank compressors, it is now on special clearance for something over R500, they still had 2 on Saturday.
Old 12-08-08, 04:14 PM

I have had a Weber for about 18 years now at home and really like it a lot. Then when I was looking for a braai for traveling I came accross the Cobb. Small and compact and little mess to transport. I got the stainless one at the outdoor show in Franchoek last year for a special show price with a bread board thrown in. I also got the wok to do stir fry and breakfast. Until this past week end I had used it only once to make a braai and only used the minimum 6 briquettes. It took a long time to braai and I was a bit dissapointed. I then inherited my dad's mini Weber (rectangular) that I had not used before.

Then on Saturday it was my son's 21st and I had to braai for about 30 people so I put all three into action. The Webers performed as expected but the Cobb was a real surprise. I loaded it with about 10 briquettes and it performed like a charm. The meat was very evenly cooked and did not have any charred bits (which are supposedly carcinogenic!) that are characteristic of any braai where the food is directly over the coals and flames flare up. I started with lamb on the big weber, chicken on the small weber and hamburger patties on the Cobb. When the hamburger patties were done to perfection, I started doing lamb chops on the Cobb and they were almost perfect.

I shall be using the cobb again soon to try out some of the great ideas I have picked up from htis tread. The coffee and muffins sound like a really great idea. I also have had the idea of braaing while travelling and have found out here that this is possible and will definitely try it soon.

As for cleaning, while travelling you only really need to keep the grid clean (or wok if you use it) as this is the only part that comes into contact with the food. The drip tray and fire bucket and ash tray only need cleaning for storage or when really dirty.

An expensive investment but the more I use the more I like it and it should outlast me and I can pass it on to my kids as an inheritance. Then they can think of me every time they braai like I did while using the small Weber I inherited from my dad.

Canon 5DMkII & 400D, Battery Grips, Sandisk 32, 4 & 1Gb, Canon EF 24-105 f4 L IS USM, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM, Tamron SP AF90 f2.8 Di, Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3 OS, 580EX II & MR14EX Flashes, Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod, 676B Monopod, 322RC2 Ball Head, Ergorest Window Bracket, Lowepro Trekker4, Fujitsu Siemens 12" Laptop

Old 12-08-08, 09:55 PM

Those Cobblestones really last. I've cooked my whole meal and then baked some decored apples, each in its own little tin-foil pie dish, for a nice dessert. The apples were cooked so soft you wouldn't even be able to lift a whole one with a fork or small spoon, yet not even the peels were burnt. Worth the extra cost imo.
Old 13-08-08, 07:56 AM

I have seen these Cobb braais over the years in the shops but I have never investigated them any further.
But after reading all these posts I am seriously thinking of buying one
They seem just so perfect for camping

1984 Honda ATC200ES BIG RED

Old 13-08-08, 02:37 PM

Pity they are not square.
Round things are such a pain to pack.
Old 14-08-08, 08:04 PM

Hey guys how is the Cobb for traditional Braa'ing? you know wors, steaks the traditional South African way??

Thanks
Old 14-08-08, 08:36 PM

Not very good - but thats not really the intention! With the COBB, you cook on a metal plate (various to choose from), not over open coals, so it can never be the same as traditional braai'ing ...

But you can do in the COBB just about anything you could do in a skottle, if that helps...

Old 14-08-08, 08:54 PM
ORA

Its a basic small oven .

GP

Ian
D22 Datsun Hardbody.
ORRA WC20

Old 14-08-08, 08:59 PM

I haven't done it myself, but I understand they also work very well as a substitute for a Weber when cooking a whole chicken, shoulder of lamb, things like that. That way you also use more of the available space inside the dome than with "flat" braaiing, so you can feed more people.
Old 14-08-08, 09:07 PM
ORA

Exactly,

GP

Ian
D22 Datsun Hardbody.
ORRA WC20

Old 15-08-08, 10:03 AM

Can anyone expound on using the Cobb for braai'ing? Im needing to purchase a all in one compact solution i.e. braai the odd steak, do a boerie, eggs and bacon, potjie etc... does the cobb come recommended. I see they have a seperate grid thing?? would this assist in achieving the traditional braai type meal?

Thanks
Old 15-08-08, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy'96 View Post
Can anyone expound on using the Cobb for braai'ing? Im needing to purchase a all in one compact solution i.e. braai the odd steak, do a boerie, eggs and bacon, potjie etc... does the cobb come recommended. I see they have a seperate grid thing?? would this assist in achieving the traditional braai type meal?

Thanks
I have never used it with a braai grid - I always borrow my dad's and it's only the standard unit without any of the accessories you get for it these days - but I think that's the one accessory I'd buy last, if at all. By design, the heat source is concentrated in the centre below the cooking surface, and imo the standard solid cooking surface with holes around the perimeter acts as a diffuser for the heat to ensure that everything is cooked at the same time. An open grid wouldn't be able to do that. The dome obviously keeps the heat inside, so maybe if you didn't put any meat on the centre part of the grid it would allow the heat to convex over and around everything around the sides, but that would make the available space on the grid even less, and it is already too small for more than two people, imo, but I like my meat...

There's nothing to stop you from using the standard surface for braaiing though, and it's especially good for pork chops, because the meat doesn't dry out as easily as on an open braai.

I think it would work very well for the traditional skottel breakfast kind of thing with the optional pan, and also for a potjie, although I don't know if six to eight briquettes would last long enough to cook a potjie! Maybe they have another set of instructions for potjie-cooking. The Cobblestones should last long enough, but be too hot for a potjie, imo, but again, I haven't cooked a potjie on it, I just know how hot it was when I used it for my pork chops...

Edit: I saw something similar to the Cobb, but slightly different, in Mega Mica's outdoor cooking section some time ago, but I can't remember what it was called. Maybe you want to go take a look at that as well.

Last edited by stadleroux; 15-08-08 at 11:05 AM.
Old 17-08-08, 12:06 PM

Thanks Stad... anyone else keen to share their experiences?

Thanks
Old 21-08-08, 02:59 PM

I try to only contribute when I have something positive to say, but for what it's worth, my dad has a cobb that he's trying to palm off on me.

He likes braai-ing when they camp (Caravan) and he bought one of those stainless steel collapsible braais (Still trying to find a phots) which is great for him and my mom. It also has enough space for a extra chop or 2 when they receive guests.

I've got a weber 'suitcase' braai and it's great. Due to the distance between the coals and the grid, you have to keep a close eye on the heat, but it cooks a mean steak, haven't tried a 'flattie' in it but I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem.

For the rest (cleaning, rigidity, packing space, not-messing-while-I'm-driving) it's a definate 5/5.

Green Trimtech with yellow racing stripes and 5" Plastic wheels, 21l bucket, 125 Briggs & Stratton motor and a lever that goes from turtle to hare in 1 push.

Old 21-08-08, 03:32 PM

I cooked a yogurt-marinated deboned pork's neck in my dad's Cobb last weekend. I used a Cobblestone and we put more or less equal amounts of water and red wine in the moat, approx. a cup of each in the beginning and again halfway through. We estimated a cooking time of two hours and I turned it every 10 minutes or so. It came out juicy and tender, but cooked right through. Even my mom, who doesn't tolerate the least bit of pink in her steak, said it was evenly cooked.

Really works very well for that kind of thing!
Old 21-08-08, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadleroux View Post
I have never used it with a braai grid - I always borrow my dad's and it's only the standard unit without any of the accessories you get for it these days - but I think that's the one accessory I'd buy last, if at all.
The braai grid is the FIRST accessory that you must buy!!! It doesnt replace the steel 'baseplate' but actualy fits on top of it and thus creating a small space under the food and the 'plate'. This simple accesory transforms the Cobb into an absolute masterpiece.

To me it is worth every cent, especially when we had leg of lamb in the Namibia Brandberg area last year as our Christmas meal in the desert with the stars shining bright. Our traveling companions still today comment on that wonderfull Christmas dinner!!

CATs

2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD)
2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD)
2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD)
2003 Safari Xplorer
ZU6CAT + L156 on 29meg and VHF ORRA channels

Old 21-08-08, 04:42 PM

Hi CATS

Are you talking about the roasting rack or the braai grid?

I was at Makro today the roasting rack was R 90 and the braai grid R 200.

There is also a frying pan attachment.

1984 Honda ATC200ES BIG RED

Old 21-08-08, 05:34 PM

Sounds like a roasting rack to me, and in that case it probably would've prevented the tiniest bit of charring on each side of the lump of meat I cooked Saturday, and it probably wouldn't have needed turning as often either if it were resting on a rack. I can see the use for something like that. I actually have two small round roasting racks at home. Maybe I should see if one of them would fit and give it a try next time...!
Old 21-08-08, 11:13 PM

Its the roasting rack being referred to by CAT, the "braai grid" comes standard with the Cobb.

So does is this roasting rack the accesory to use when wanting to achieve a more "traditional braai" like outcome?

Thanks