logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > General (non vehicle/technical) 4x4 Discussions

4x4Community

Notices

General (non vehicle/technical) 4x4 Discussions Any 4x4 related topic, for which there is no other specific Section.

Old 30-01-13, 08:39 AM

Hiluxan, in greement with you. In order to operate a business 100% from home to the likes of what you described, the house needs to be zoned to have business rights. Your dogs are being agrivated by constant traffic at your gate and what else are your dogs supposed to do when strangers approach your gate time on end. I would personally set up a boxing match and contact the municipality and perhaps SARS....? (tough love)
Old 31-01-13, 10:04 AM

We had neighbors (1x away) that recently moved out, thank goodness, with two dogs that barked at anything that moved. I think you must understand the frustration that it causes. It literally drives you mad, really. I love pets, including dogs but, a dog that barks constantly is a major problem and I feel that you need to look at the actual problem, the dogs. Our ex neighbor (1x) also tried the collar thing and it worked reasonably well but still the dogs just barked. Their immediate neighbor (between us) was a retired couple who actually did the complaining. Enid actually came over to us on the odd occasion in tears, she simply could not take the dog barking any more.
It is a problem and sorry to say you are going to have to do something.
Old 31-01-13, 10:25 AM

My next door neighbours have two dogs. If someone is home they don't make a peep unless there is a very good reason. But f me the moment they go out the dogs start barking at anything that moves, you know like leaves blowing in the wind and the sun moving across the sky.

Procomp 3" springs and lower control arms| BDS Upper control arms | OME shocks | Custom rear spring pack | Quick Disconnects | Nomad Bumpers | Safari Snorkel | Gorman rocksliders | Khumo 31x10.5x15 | Jerry can holders | 29Mhz Radio | Custom roof rack | Dual Battery | ARB onboard compressor

Old 31-01-13, 11:37 AM

Thanks again to all that responded

Just to re iterate, my wife stays at home and only goes to fetch my son from school at lunch time, and during that time the nanny keeps an eye on the dogs. During the week, if my neighbours did not run a business from their garage, with an open window (no aircons) literally 10m from my front gate, I am sure the situation would have been much better. The lady that complains has a voice that carries and my wife overhears their office quarrels daily when she gives her employees some stick.

Various free roaming dogs trigger barking by all dogs up and down the street, and I dont see any of those owners called to action, nor do I see my neighbour adding them to their list of complaints. Why? We are simply the closest to them and they dont care what causes our dogs to bark. Hell, their own dogs participate if its a big commotion

I really feel that our rights to a peacefull existence is also seriously impacted, and by no other neighbours than these that are really not trying to also take our situation in mind. We could also have complained about their dogs, especially when our babies were small and sleep was a luxury for us

And to those that think complex living suck, yes it could, but rather that than getting burgled, robbed or even murdered. Our complex is really very safe compared to a house in a street or a plot which I would give you know what to live at.

I will contact the city council and do anonomous enquiry about a businees in residential complex.

Our neighbour once had his unit number and complex on his website, he removed it after I first mentioned I dont think he has the right to do what he is doing, to me that says a lot

Old 31-01-13, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiluxman View Post
Thanks again to all that responded

Just to re iterate, my wife stays at home and only goes to fetch my son from school at lunch time, and during that time the nanny keeps an eye on the dogs. During the week, if my neighbours did not run a business from their garage, with an open window (no aircons) literally 10m from my front gate, I am sure the situation would have been much better. The lady that complains has a voice that carries and my wife overhears their office quarrels daily when she gives her employees some stick.

Various free roaming dogs trigger barking by all dogs up and down the street, and I dont see any of those owners called to action, nor do I see my neighbour adding them to their list of complaints. Why? We are simply the closest to them and they dont care what causes our dogs to bark. Hell, their own dogs participate if its a big commotion

I really feel that our rights to a peacefull existence is also seriously impacted, and by no other neighbours than these that are really not trying to also take our situation in mind. We could also have complained about their dogs, especially when our babies were small and sleep was a luxury for us

And to those that think complex living suck, yes it could, but rather that than getting burgled, robbed or even murdered. Our complex is really very safe compared to a house in a street or a plot which I would give you know what to live at.

I will contact the city council and do anonomous enquiry about a businees in residential complex.

Our neighbour once had his unit number and complex on his website, he removed it after I first mentioned I dont think he has the right to do what he is doing, to me that says a lot
In bold lies my question, why are your dogs barking and theirs only join in when it is a big commotion? The more I read your posts, the more you seem like 90% of dog owners out there who have dogs that constantly yap and seem unable to hear it themselves.

Procomp 3" springs and lower control arms| BDS Upper control arms | OME shocks | Custom rear spring pack | Quick Disconnects | Nomad Bumpers | Safari Snorkel | Gorman rocksliders | Khumo 31x10.5x15 | Jerry can holders | 29Mhz Radio | Custom roof rack | Dual Battery | ARB onboard compressor

Old 31-01-13, 02:55 PM

Dogs that roam freely come to our gate and any dog who is on the inside of that gate will bark. Their dogs are behind the wall and cant see what my dogs see

Sclater, I never asked for sympathy, just opinions, youre entitled to yours off course, but I dont agree. Because of the sensitivity of this issue, we are intensely aware of our dogs behaviour and we are extra strict with them, the anti bark collars shock them when they bark, we already feel we are hard on them due to our neighboir

I think I have learnt something here and received a few good pms, thanks you all

Last edited by ArthurB; 31-01-13 at 02:57 PM.
Old 31-01-13, 02:56 PM

Is it not possible to close the gate off, so that the dogs can't see through it?

Old 31-01-13, 02:59 PM

It is possible, but while other dogs are also supposed to be behind gates or doors and not in the street, I dont feel its fair on us before those owners do whats right.

Old 31-01-13, 03:06 PM

Quote:
It is possible, but while other dogs are also supposed to be behind gates or doors and not in the street, I dont feel its fair on us before those owners do whats right.
A bit off topic, but I also want some advice: What would you think is a fair process for me to follow to get my neighbours dogs from barking constantly when they are not there?
Should I tell the neighbours? (what would this help?)
Should I buy a shock anti bark collar and give that dog a gift?
Should I just ignore the barking?
Should I wet the dog with a hosepipe?

Last night we had the same crap again. Neighbours went out, and dogs barking the whole damn time.

Old 31-01-13, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvandyk View Post
A bit off topic, but I also want some advice: What would you think is a fair process for me to follow to get my neighbours dogs from barking constantly when they are not there?
Should I tell the neighbours? (what would this help?)
Should I buy a shock anti bark collar and give that dog a gift?
Should I just ignore the barking?
Should I wet the dog with a hosepipe?

Last night we had the same crap again. Neighbours went out, and dogs barking the whole damn time.
Some meat with a few sleeping pills

Old 31-01-13, 04:45 PM

Quote:
So then catch the stray dogs and drop them off at the SPCA.

Old 31-01-13, 04:56 PM

A good relationship is the best thing, if they are prepared to allow you to spray them with water or teach you the dogs names so you can shout at them it might help.

Luckily for us, our dogs are very quiet at night even if we are not there, its the provocation at the street thats causing our dogs to bark.

Good luck

Old 31-01-13, 05:14 PM

Quote:
The lady that complains are probably sexually frustrated or permanent pms. My wife can hear her from our house when se reprimands her staff in their garage office

I just ordered batteries for the next six months for dog anti bark collars. Maybe I should order batteries for her appliance too ha ha!

Considering installing video monitoring to see whats cooking when we are away

Still hoping a lawyer will respond :-)

I wont move

Our stand is 600 sq m, so the size is ok for our 3 dogs considering they get walked daily
Haven't read your entire post, but dude !! 600 sq for 3 dogs ? Are they little ones ? P.S: walking them daily ain't going to solve any of your problems !

Old 02-02-13, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanvn View Post
Some meat with a few permanent sleeping pills
Fixed.

2012 Sport FJ Cruiser "Black&White RiceBowl"
1986 Hilux DC 4x4 "White RiceBowl"

Agteros

you should stick to your rice bowls! - HGBosch

Old 02-02-13, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_J View Post
Touchy subject I see, but I'll wade in here anyway with my experience...

I have two dogs, which we taught to not bark from the start. It works. These are the first dogs I've ever owned, and I've not done any dog training courses or anything, it's just common sense training.

Barking might be natural, but how much of a "natural" life do we give dogs anyway? We fit them into our lives, we don't fit into theirs. We teach them to poo outside, not to bite, to keep off the furniture, to walk on a lead, to sit, etc... so we're changing their natural behaviour to suit us anyway, so why not barking too?

A little discipline when they bark unnecessarily, and praise when they don't goes a long way. They still bark when there is a percieved threat, and we praise this. They don't bark any another time.
+1

I can relate to this on so many levels, its how my parents brought up our dogs when we were young, and its how I am bringing up our first dog we have owned. Owner discipline dictates how your animal will behave around others. Also no "dog whisperer" training whatsoever.

We have neighbours with 2 jack russels, one HUGE boerboel, and a boxer cross something. They bark at everything, generally the jack russels yapping set the bigger dogs off, even with the owners at home they do not keep the dogs quiet. Whenever I venture closer than 10m (I have a large plot) to their fence, they bark incessantly. Is infuriating!!!

I agree with SimonB, I think you should look closer to home for the real issue, dogs require stimulation, not being locked in a yard the whole day.

Burnco front bumper, Front Runner Bash Plate, Gearbox plate, 50mm front and rear suspension lift (stofpad spacers), Gabriel HDP dampers, Madman EMS2 engine management module, dual battery system, hella driving lights.
Corsa 1.4 Club (swambo)

Cape Town

"In my house I'm the boss, my wife is just the decision maker." - Woody Allen

Old 04-02-13, 06:33 AM

That is why I love English Buldogs. They are just too lazy to bark. But if they bark...boetie, there is a reason for it.
Old 04-02-13, 07:14 AM

I live in a complex where a number of neighbours have dogs of all varieties. The smallest dogs are the biggest culprits. They make the most noise whilst having the least amount of reason to do so.
This is compounded by another reason:- The noisiest dogs are also the most lonely. The neighbours who are at home a lot tend to have the quietest dogs. The neighbours who leave for work at 6am and get home at 20h00 or later tend to have the noisiest little Stukas..

I'd love to have a German Shepherd again, but my sense of fairness to the dog, as well as to my neighbours prohibits me from getting one.

If you're going to have dogs, be sure you have the time available to care for them and keep them company. Otherwise they WILL piss your neighbours off, and living in a complex, you need to be on good terms with your neighbours.

As for the business thing, whatever my neighbour does in his home is his own affair, however if traffic into the complex becomes an issue affecting the tranquiity and security of the complex, then it's time to move your business to a suitable premises.

Old 04-02-13, 07:50 AM

A home business is a risk for neighbours, I stay at a house that is also a business and I can not even insure my belongings, according to the Insurance company a home business is a high risk due to people coming and going. You don't know if any of them are spying on possible break in possibilities etc.

The entire idea of staying in a security complex is to keep people that don't stay there out, hence reducing the risk for criminal activities.

There is strict rules about running a business from a residential property. No more than 25-30% must be for business purposes, there is various safety regulations to comply to etc. Put the law on them.

Anyway, if the neighbours move to a office there will be less to bark at.

Last edited by JCMostert; 04-02-13 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-02-13, 09:06 AM

Hi Hilux man

I feel your pain.
I dont even live in a complex and have had issues about my dogs.. I wont bore you with the detail, but what it comes down to is that I am well within my rights.
I have 3 dogs. We love them and look after them like children. We walk them almost everyday, mostly on the beach etc. We have a 1,997m2 yard and I believe they have the best I can give.

Accross from us, is a complex, which has "traffic". The maids that come every other day to clean, gardeners and other pedestrians moving in front of MY gate. Obviously this is what my dogs bark at. To make matters worse, The complex's alarm goes off at least 5 times a week. And the Chubb guy has not figured out yet that parking in front of my gate makes my dogs bark at him.. (Chubb guards are imo stupid..)

So, the "old" couple that lives behind us have complained. And I told them to f*ck off.

I have the dogs for my enjoy ment and protection. i am not always at home and my wife is home alone alot. They are my first line of defense(security) on top of all my other security items.

I have no control over the people moving in front of my gate. My house is in a "doodloop straat" so the complex is causing the amount of "traffic" otherwise there would be none - except for myself and the people living behind us.

Now, part of the reason I responded to the complaints in the manner I did was because the people behind us (also a sort of complex, but only sees others in holiday time) own peacocks.
They are far worse than dogs. They make the most terrible noises at any time during the day. Especially at 04h00 in the mornings and late at night..

Now I have never complained about it and people like seeing them around when visiting us and they are also good "security guards"

So, I keep my dogs and keep giving them love and exercise etc etc etc
Just leave me and my dogs alone. Rather rectify the othet problems causing barking..

P.S. My dogs do not bark throughout the day or constantly for long periods. Only when garden boys, postmen and house workers move past my gate. Thus almost never at night. If they bark at night I can go and look, there is something scaly outside, someone or something moving/sneaking around..

I dont know the rules of a complex. But if they allow you to own dogs they must have a set of rules for you to comply with..
I guess you also know what I would say to the guy running a freakin bussiness in a complex next to me..

Cheers

Johann
Old 04-02-13, 09:18 AM

G/more,

Ek het simpatie met jou, maar l;aat ek my deeltjie byvoeg mbt die honde geraas probleem.
Ek is /n Landgoed Bestuurtder (Estate Manager) by een van die "Upmarket Estates" en ek moet erken dat asgevolg v/d die "nie-nakoming" van die reels en regulasies v/d Landgoed deur die Landgoed Bestuiurder nie, laat my wonder of hy sy selaris werd is. ALLE estates het reels en regulasies en almal verwys na honde wat raas of wat sonder toesig rondloop op die estate. Daar word ook verwys na reels en regulasies mbt besighede op die estate,maar as dit is soos daar gese word dat die bestaande reels en regulasies nie voldoende is nie, moet dit eenvoudig deur die HOA verander word.

Die van julle wat probleme het met rasende honde, stel 'n klagte op en gee dit aan die HOA sodat hulle kan optree. Daar kan aangedring word deur die inwoners dat 'n spesiale vergadering gehou word om die aangeleendheid te bewspreek. Doen dit.

Groete,
Kobus B
Old 04-02-13, 09:50 AM

Hiluxman

Why try to stop the dogs? Report them would of done it long ago.
Old 04-02-13, 10:10 AM

The bloke directly over the road from me has a "stoepkakkertjie" that barks incescently. It doesn't bother me as I can switch off to that type of sound. But his direct neighbour cannot deal with it. So he rigged a siren poiting directly over the wall and everytime the dog starts his thing, the neighbour lets rip with the siren. My wife and I always have a good chuckle when we hear the siren, but it does seem to work. I think the dog gets such a fright it stops barking. Neighbour relations seem a little frazzled though
Old 04-02-13, 10:27 AM

Quote:
We live in security estate, and our neighbours complain about our 3 retrievers that bark at our gate during office hours (note, not at night). They run a fully fledged office with employees and courier vehicles coming and going daily, passing through our single entry and exit security gate. This is happening at a residential property which is not zoned for business purposes.

Our body corporate have not published house rules since 2007 when we built our house. This must be an offense?

I work at our companies office about 10km away, and until early January 2012, my wife also had an office job. The nanny is at home hen we are not, with instructions to silence the dogs

Our dogs, like any other dogs, barks at passers by, especially those that walk their dogs, or kids passing by on roller skates or bicycles, or when other home owners dogs roam freely up and down the street (strangely, our neighbours have never complained about this, the main root cause of the barking in our opinion). Our dogs are silent from sunset to sunrise unless given a good reason to react, like when criminals ran past our yard at night in Oct 2012 at 1am.

When I defended our situation after receiving phonecalls from the security gaurds at the gate, one of the directors sided with our neighbours saying it is legitimate if they run a business like he does as a single person who occasionally works from his home. (City council clearly makes a distinction between a one-man affair and a company with employees by the way)

We fitted anti bark collars which helped (layout of R3000 initially and R90 per month for batteries), and my wife is now at home and she keeps an eye herself in an attempt to limit any possible disturbance our dogs may cause.

We now see dogs from three different properties roaming the street and causing a comotion despite reporting this to the body corporate in 2012, yet the only complaints from our neighbour is always directed at our dogs.

This past sunday morning, we were away for 1 hour and 45 mins to attend church (from 8.45am), and a complaint was received for barking of our dogs

I feel that I can get the City of Jhb to investigate them for running this office from a residential property, I dont really know why I am still holding back. Them being in close proximity to our garden area and handling phone calls with customers closeby is a huge contributing factor (conveniently rejected by them and our kind body corporate director, who is probably their best buddy)

I also believe that it does not really matter who lives next to my neighbours, permitted you own a dog that can bark when provoked, you can bet you will have trouble with these people.

I will appreciate any good tips, especially from lawyers please, thank you
In a sectional title unit the controlling body is the body corporate: that is all the owners of each and every unit acting at the AGM. The trustees are just the guys who have to execute the wishes of the BC. The trustees are obliged to give you a copy of the conduct rules prevailing. These should state some things about pets, noise and running a business. If there are no rules then the rules prescribed by the act should be followed.

If yours is a full title unit, then you will have a home owners association with directors. But the principles are the same.

So get the attention of your trustees/directors and show them the rules they need to apply. If that does not work, voice your grievances at the AGM (but make sure there are enough people to support your stance)

I am a trustee and that is how people work with us
Good luck

Toyota KZTE 2001

Old 04-02-13, 10:27 AM

Default Incessant barking dogs

Most complexes don't allow dogs at all anymore because of all the problem owners and their inability to control their noisy dogs.
Old 04-02-13, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barman1965 View Post
the bloke directly over the road from me has a "stoepkakkertjie" that barks incescently. It doesn't bother me as i can switch off to that type of sound. But his direct neighbour cannot deal with it. So he rigged a siren poiting directly over the wall and everytime the dog starts his thing, the neighbour lets rip with the siren. My wife and i always have a good chuckle when we hear the siren, but it does seem to work. I think the dog gets such a fright it stops barking. neighbour relations seem a little frazzled though;d
lol

*EGT gauge added
*Turbo Hybridised
*Straight through side exit exhaust pipe

2008 BMW G650 Xchallenge

COFFEE.EXE Missing - Insert Cup and Press Any Key

Old 04-02-13, 10:38 AM

Hiluxman I am also on the receiving end of barking dogs during the day and have my own opinion about dogs that bark when owners are not at home.

I also run a business from home ( normal residential suburb) and find it very irritating when neighbors dogs bark all day at nothing. Please forgive my bias opinion about this and I'm no dog whisperer, but I think 3 retrievers in any sized yard in a security estate is not the most suitable environment for a "working dog" that belongs on a farm. I have also noticed that most of the animals in those yards are not suited to their environment. Just because a dog is cute when its small does not mean it is the right size/breed dog for a specific area size or location.
I have lived in 3 upmarket estates in Pretoria and served on their home owners board of directors and we all had the same issues. Dogs are quiet when owners are at home, but during the day and when they are out at night, the dogs go ballistic. I have also noticed that even though some owners are at home, they become oblivious to the barking and subconsiosly dont even hear the dogs barking. I have sympathy with your neighbors if your dogs are in fact a problem.
If I could have it my way, all estate rules should only allow specific breeds of dogs and that's the law. If you have dogs that don't fit the profile, buy a house in another estate, but that's my opinion and I'm not sure if its practical.
In certain states in America, dogs have their vocal cords removed surgically for avoidance of legal liabilities to their owners. This is no lie. I bought a dog from a breeder and she had 2 dogs that she imported from the USA that had the procedure done whilst the dogs lived in the USA. If your dogs are a nuisance in the USA, people sue you.

Secondly, at both the Estates I lived at, we encouraged businesses from home. I suppose the reason you live in an access controlled estate are for obvious security reasons. The plus side to having a few businesses in an estate is that there are more people at home during the day and more "eyes" on what happens in the estate during the day. I am not referring to a spaza shop type business, more an office based type business. The last thing you want is a deserted estate during daytime with unwanted elemets roaming freely and not being noticed. O Yes, no matter what the Security systems provide, they cant keep everyone out at all times, so having eyes and ears in the estate far outweighs the little discomfort of clients visiting those premises and that is in any case when you are not home, so there should be minimal disruptions.
As far as working from home technicalities go, I'm no lawyer but if its not in the rules, you cant stop them from doing this. You also cant change the rules as it will be unconstitutional. You may however report this to local council and depending on by- laws they can look into it and if your neighbors are breaking the law, they can stop them from running that business from home.

I think a barking dog is a nuisance and no matter what or how its justified, owners should respect other peoples rights to not have a barking dog ruining their lives, because it can.

Good luck and remember....good neighborliness and relationships are more important than dogs, you never know one day you may need that guy whom lives next door.....

Last edited by Dirtjock; 04-02-13 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-02-13, 11:10 AM

Hi, the joys of complex living!!!!! try this site have had good results, and fair comment. www.paddocks.co.za/sectional-titles-online
Good luck
Old 04-02-13, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killian View Post
Hiluxan, in greement with you. In order to operate a business 100% from home to the likes of what you described, the house needs to be zoned to have business rights. Your dogs are being agrivated by constant traffic at your gate and what else are your dogs supposed to do when strangers approach your gate time on end. I would personally set up a boxing match and contact the municipality and perhaps SARS....? (tough love)
I don't think the issue is with the neighbors running the business from home or not. The point is they are at home most of the day and they have a problem with Hiluxman's dogs. Now if they are complaining about the dogs disturbing their clients, then I think they are in the wrong. Just speculating here.
Old 04-02-13, 12:48 PM

If they had an office in a business zone, they would have been away from home like everybody else, and would not be irritated by my dogs barking. Many many other dogs bark in the cimplex and even roam freely, causing all dogs behind gates to be provoked

My dogs dont bark excessively at all.

I cant believe how many of you cant see anything wrong with running a business from a residentially zoned property. In the times we live in, criminals are prone to abuse anything they can find to slip through security measures

Old 04-02-13, 01:26 PM

Just my 2cents... I love my dogs, and from time to time they make me furious for barking and becoming a nuisance for my neighbours. But truth be told, they never bark at nothing... If people kept their cats and their dogs on their own properties and not roaming the streets on their own, and we did not have people walking up and down the street making use of our garbage bins 99% of the barking would also be eliminated. So, we might get mad at our dogs, but many a time the barking is a symptom of another problem which we blame on the dogs - which I believe is unfair towards them.
Old 04-02-13, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I cant believe how many of you cant see anything wrong with running a business from a residentially zoned property. In the times we live in, criminals are prone to abuse anything they can find to slip through security measures
If your neighbors did not complain about your dogs barking, would you have made an issue about their business being run from their home?? Tit for Tat I suppose

Burnco front bumper, Front Runner Bash Plate, Gearbox plate, 50mm front and rear suspension lift (stofpad spacers), Gabriel HDP dampers, Madman EMS2 engine management module, dual battery system, hella driving lights.
Corsa 1.4 Club (swambo)

Cape Town

"In my house I'm the boss, my wife is just the decision maker." - Woody Allen

Old 04-02-13, 02:44 PM

I have not yet complained at city council, and I dont want to resort to tit for tat

Just frustrates me that they choose not to look past my dogs and recognize the root causes, which are mostly freely roaming dogs and yapping dachunds across the street

We have decided to meet with them , my wife said she will take a few good glasses and red wine en walk over he he! I seriously hope we can talk some sense into this lady and will encourage her to reprimand them should it happen that they bark when we are away.

Last edited by ArthurB; 04-02-13 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-02-13, 03:02 PM

I am in the Estate Management business - and assure you that over 70% of complaints my offices receive relate to dogs barking. When anticipating managing a complex or Estate, this is usually the very first thing I look at in the Complex rules.

If your complex rules do not deal with noise (which should be a regular occurrence) - and even makes specific reference to incessant barking, then your neighbours or the Body Corporate have very little leg to stand on.

They also cannot just change rules willy-nilly. This has to be done by way of Resolution - either Ordinary or Special resolution - and that would ideally require a Special General Meeting - or if certain parameters are met - can also be done at the AGM by majority vote. As mentioned, rules differ between a complex and an Estate. If you have full title houses, this is an Estate, managed by a Home Owners Association. If you are sectional title, this is a Body Corporate, and the release of a new Sectional Title Act is imminent - which will be specific in rules.

Many municipalites have their own by-laws which dictate how many dogs a resident may have on their property.

One of the biggest mistakes the Body Corporate or HOA can do is to 'side' with a complaint. The rules must be clear. Either you are allowed more than 2 dogs, that can bark when they want, without fines or warnings, OR, the rules stipulate the parameters. There can be no grey area, because this causes ambiguity, subjectivity and the worst sin of all in complex management - inconsistency.

Regarding your neighbor's business - this should be also very clear in the Estate / Complex rules. Typically, it should include the HBE (Home Based Enterprise) regulations. If you were to decide to also work from home, but you were a (lets say) pimp - then the absence of rules would dictate that you were fully within your right to do so, based on the precedent set by your neighbours business. The same could be applied to any range of businesses - storage, welding & grinding making bullbars etc.

Incidentally, for residents who do have barking dogs, I have suggested the use of a Citronella spraying collar. It has been 100% effective by those that have used it, and usually within 3 months the dogs have stopped barking altogether. Here's a website http://www.ditosoft.co.za/prod01.htm

My suggestion is to check your rules first. If the BC or HOA want to enforce warnings or fine, this should be done in accordance with a transgression schedule that makes reference to the specific rule that has been transgressed.

Good luck!
Old 04-02-13, 03:45 PM

@ dirt jock
"Secondly, at both the Estates I lived at, we encouraged businesses from home. I suppose the reason you live in an access controlled estate are for obvious security reasons. The plus side to having a few businesses in an estate is that there are more people at home during the day and more "eyes" on what happens in the estate during the day. I am not referring to a spaza shop type business, more an office based type business. The last thing you want is a deserted estate during daytime with unwanted elemets roaming freely and not being noticed. O Yes, no matter what the Security systems provide, they cant keep everyone out at all times, so having eyes and ears in the estate far outweighs the little discomfort of clients visiting those premises and that is in any case when you are not home, so there should be minimal disruptions.
As far as working from home technicalities go, I'm no lawyer but if its not in the rules, you cant stop them from doing this. You also cant change the rules as it will be unconstitutional. You may however report this to local council and depending on by- laws they can look into it and if your neighbors are breaking the law, they can stop them from running that business from home."

There are businesses and there are businesses..
If you have a office in your house, within a complex, where you work with maybe a secretary, I wont mind.
If you run a business with more people and creating more movement, traffic and what not within my complex, I will definetly complain and let the law sort this out.

@ Hiluxman
I totally agree with you. - Your posts
As long as you are not breaking any rules, why even care.
If proper rules are given to you to abide to, then I guess you have to stick to it.
There are many laws and bylaws protecting home owners(who have dogs) in normal circumstances though - not in a complex..

Which people would rather complain about other disturbances and noise polution that are around and/or the things that causes barking dogs like "boemelaars" and "job seeking" pests etc etc
Old 04-02-13, 04:11 PM

Default Estate Living - Barking dogs

Hi Hiluxman.
I agree with Mark Trollip and Stalmaat advice. I am G.M. at a Country Club and Housing Estate that encompasses 5 sports and 5 Housing sections with 238 houses in total, each with their own set of rules, and then you have the Common Ground rules that are governed by the Club.
NOT EASY.
I re-iterate the neccessity of clear rules which when drafted must be fair to all and implemented across the board.
The nuisance factor works both ways.
If both parties are considrred to have a case, try and get to "Agree to disagree agreeably".
Good Luck.
Old 04-02-13, 04:16 PM

Thank you Mark and Johann.

Obviously I know that it could be very bad to be on the receiving end of dog barking, and we are not over eggaerating aboit our neighbours. Courier drivers visiting my neighbour are trustworthy yes? Maybe most of them, but they are still eyes that see and they can talk

Old 04-02-13, 06:34 PM

I've been surrounded by Jack Russels and sheep dog sorts for 6 years and went through hell 24/7.Now, thankfully they're gradually reducing through people moving or natural deaths. It took one incident for them to compete.

It got so bad that I stood on a chair and screamed " Shut the f$% up" The old lady was pruning the bushes oblivious to my frustration and remarkes something like "Thats what dog do" I said that "your dogs are frustrated bacuse they are seperated with fences and gates and what keep large dogs in the back and stoep kers in and out the house do".

Well one week later the pre-cast wall fell over and I had to go cap in hand to negociate a real wall. They were really decent and began to understand my situation. The new wall was raised to 8 feet, they contributed 40% and since then we seldom hear the dogs.

My observation is that they're all stressed, mostly by enjoying indoor comforts at night then banished to the outside 'punishment', anxious by not being used to socially mixing with other dogs and people or cant see whats going on other side the wall.

Are the 3 Retrievers of the same age and have they determined who is boss? Dont they compete for dominance? Maybe this is playing out while there is no interference from your wife or maid to interfere. It normally takes place regardless who's at home.

Maybe their territorial instincts are provoked by dogs marking near your property.

Is the activity next door provoking the barking? Take them outside one at a time on a leash and sit down with the dog where they can view the property till they relax.

Do they have cats?

Is there one instigator which provokes the rest? Get rid of that one as you seem to have too many anyway for your stand.

No disrespect but I'm glad that we're not neighbours.
Old 04-02-13, 07:14 PM

Just a question : if the units in which you live are registered under the sectional title act, then it is illegal to run ANY business from such a unit. Check it out with any managing agent or rental agency, so as to avoid possible legal fees. If affirmative, then take legal action, with costs. Thats my advice after owning several such properties in Jhb, in which several tenants ( not even the owners) tried to run businesses from their units. I was advised in a circular from the managing agents of the position, who took the necessary action.
Regards,
Charles
Old 04-02-13, 07:40 PM

My dogs are happy dogs, no cats around, just an irate female neighbour who refuses to look around her and gives us stick instead of being reasonable. No complaints were lodged before she moved in 2 odd years ago

One of our thre dogs are more vocal than the others and the anti bark collar made a good difference. The noisiest dog is also the dominant dog.

My retrievers are not that big, we keep them slim to avoid hip displacement issues.

As Im typing away at the moment, I hear the dachunds across the street barking. My dogs moved outside to the gat and observed. Its the lady across the street at her car and no barking from my dogs side. Conclusion is that it takes a fair amount of excitement to provoke them, such as freely roaming dogs. The spaniel even got through the gates upper steelwork this past wednesday and ran around with my dogs trying to get a hello-sniff at it, no aggression or blood.

Which reminds me, mr impartial, the trustee, with his uberhund the german shepard, was chatting to someone in the street with his gate open while we came past with pram ane baby and three dogs. His german shepard ran out towards us and for a moment it was touch and go wheter a trip to the vet or the hospital would be required. Our dogs laid down in submission and a sniffing session ensued.

The citronella collar will be tested soon, we can then fit it when we are away from home over weekends or holiday periods.

None of the other two direct neighbours have ever complained, nor the wo home across the street, so I stand by my point, this lady is unreasonable

Problem with anti bark collar is that it takes only a dedicated battery at about R135 per month for three collars, seems like the citronella collar will cost about R150 per 3 months for the 3 dogs (R50 pm for the three dogs)

We are in full title properties so its actually an estate we live in, 110 homes, each on a 600 sq stand

Last edited by ArthurB; 04-02-13 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-02-13, 08:48 PM

Quote:
My dogs are happy dogs, no cats around, just an irate female neighbour who refuses to look around her and gives us stick instead of being reasonable. No complaints were lodged before she moved in 2 odd years ago

One of our thre dogs are more vocal than the others and the anti bark collar made a good difference. The noisiest dog is also the dominant dog.

My retrievers are not that big, we keep them slim to avoid hip displacement issues.

As Im typing away at the moment, I hear the dachunds across the street barking. My dogs moved outside to the gat and observed. Its the lady across the street at her car and no barking from my dogs side. Conclusion is that it takes a fair amount of excitement to provoke them, such as freely roaming dogs. The spaniel even got through the gates upper steelwork this past wednesday and ran around with my dogs trying to get a hello-sniff at it, no aggression or blood.

Which reminds me, mr impartial, the trustee, with his uberhund the german shepard, was chatting to someone in the street with his gate open while we came past with pram ane baby and three dogs. His german shepard ran out towards us and for a moment it was touch and go wheter a trip to the vet or the hospital would be required. Our dogs laid down in submission and a sniffing session ensued.

The citronella collar will be tested soon, we can then fit it when we are away from home over weekends or holiday periods.

None of the other two direct neighbours have ever complained, nor the wo home across the street, so I stand by my point, this lady is unreasonable

Problem with anti bark collar is that it takes only a dedicated battery at about R135 per month for three collars, seems like the citronella collar will cost about R150 per 3 months for the 3 dogs (R50 pm for the three dogs)

We are in full title properties so its actually an estate we live in, 110 homes, each on a 600 sq stand
Just because no one else complains, doesn't mean they are happy with the dogs noise. I have never complained to my neighbours about their dogs, yet at times they drive us insane. If they ask I might mention something but would probably understate the issue.

Old 04-02-13, 08:57 PM

This horse is now beaten to a pulp

Old 05-02-13, 11:29 AM

Everybody is focusing on the dogs, but what is triggering the dogs? You need to go to the council and establish if they have applied and paid for "consent use" of the property which is a legal deviation required for operating a business from a residential zoned property. Without this you can go the legal route and have them stopped which i presume will solve the dog issue.
Good Luck
Old 05-02-13, 02:37 PM

I am installing a cctv camera to gather actual evidence. Whether I like what Im going to see or not does not matter. At least I will be well informed

I also ordered the citronella collar

After that, if I can prove whays causing the barking, if they can still bark with all the collars, I will be well prepared for whatever they may want to thtow at us

More than this they cant expect without considering other factors that plays a part here

Old 06-02-13, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I am installing a cctv camera to gather actual evidence. Whether I like what Im going to see or not does not matter. At least I will be well informed

I also ordered the citronella collar

After that, if I can prove whays causing the barking, if they can still bark with all the collars, I will be well prepared for whatever they may want to thtow at us

More than this they cant expect without considering other factors that plays a part here
Not many guys will go through all this effort to resolve a problem the neighbours have with you. Well done!

Old 26-02-13, 05:35 PM

Its now a few weeks later, and the cctv camara I fitted is starting to reveal some interesting facts.

1. My dogs dont bark at all passers by, only joggers, free roaming dogs (only sometimes), and generally dont bark for more than 15 seconds at a time
2. I can see which dog goes to the gate more often and for what reason
3. It is also very easy to prove now that my dogs dont go to the gate at night except when they wait for us when we return after dark (on one occasion they spent almost 5 hours solid doing this)

So, now we are ready to look into any incident that the neighbours might complain about in future.

I wont reveal my source of firsthand info just yet.

We also hear our lady neighbour swearing often loudly so that we can actually make out every word of it, we plan to record it for record purposes just to be well prepared. We certainly dont appreciate the loud swearing behaviour with our 4 year old son around.

Another thing we did was to fit the citronella collar to the two regular barkers, it shuts them up totally, it even works on more than one dog if they are close together and on of them barks

See barking for about 15 seconds at jogging neighbour
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130226_173223.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	197452

Old 26-02-13, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaffie View Post
That is why I love English Buldogs. They are just too lazy to bark. But if they bark...boetie, there is a reason for it.

Now that's a fact ,we have 2 x Bullsdogs and they spend most of the day sleeping.

JK RUBICON PENTASTAR 2013

JK SAHARA UNLIMITED CRD 2010

ORRA CALLSIGN :WB60

Old 10-03-13, 01:40 PM

The citronella collar lasted for about 4 weeks, I contacted Ditosft to see if they would replace it free of charge or exchange for a new unit

The shock collars are probably less effective, but they have lasted for 18 months already despite the dogs wearing them 24/7

Old 16-03-13, 11:21 AM

The bylaws of Ekurhuleni State the following:

DOGS CAUSING DISTURBANCE
14. (1) No person shall keep a dog that
(a) creates a disturbance or a nuisance; or
(b) suffers from a contagious disease, excluding a veterinary surgeon who keeps such dog in a clinic for treatment.
(2) the owner of an unsprayed bitch shall, for the period that she is on heat, remove her from any residential area or any area that is zoned for residential use in terms of an approved town-planning scheme.
(3) In the event of an authorized officer being of the opinion that a dog is a dog as contemplated in subsections 1 or 2, he may order the owner of such dog in writing to remove such dog from the municipal area and the owner than shall remove such dog within 96 hours after 12h00 of the day when such notice was served. If the owner of such dog fails
to comply with such written order, the authorized officer may impound the dog and deal with it in terms of section 10 and 15.
(4) The Council shall not be liable to pay any compensation to any person entitled to the dog in respect of any action in terms of this section

With the above in mind when we had a problem with our neighbors dogs we where given the following advice.Firstly lay disturbance charges against the owners with the police/council if this does not work you file a civil case against the owner.Our problem never went that far as the problem was resolved as soon as we mentioned getting the council and police involved.

I do not think any one including myself objects to dogs barking if something has peak their interest but it becomes a problem when they go on for hours at a time then there is a large problem for every-one including the dogs.
Old 16-03-13, 06:05 PM

iech, dis n mooilike een, ek soo vinnig hier in geloer om tekyk of een van my buure nie ook nou hier kom kla het nie !!:-)

my JACK RUSSLE raak mal as iets voor ons hekkie virby loop en net bietjhie telank rond hang en ek like dit soo, ek wil weet as daar iemand by ons karre is.
die buure se Jackie maak my weer mal met sy verdomde geblaf elke nou en dan!!! gedink om bietjie rompin en ket in n stukkie vleis tesit as hy weer in die drain pyp my brakkie truiter hehehe.

my punt dalk is,as die beesigheid nie daar bedryf word nie sal daai brakkies nie soo mal word met al die beweeging nie, of julle pak huis op en gaan bly in n kantoor kompleks waar jy nie mag nie, dis waar daai buure van jou moet wees.
PS ek gaan maar ons hekkie heel toe maak, ek het nou cctv oorals op en ek sien hoe kwaai raak die manne oor die geblaf,soek nie n toi toi nie :-)

Old 25-03-13, 09:32 AM

This sound very close to home.

I serve on the Board of our estate and run a small business from my home without any foot traffic customers. Occasionally I will have a courier company visit us for collections or delivery.

My neighbor have three large dogs with the occasional irritating barking. We have to endure the smell of C$@ drifting our walls which get mashed wit the weekly garden service lawnmowers.

But.... in good neighborly understanding. The wife is a medical doctor and the husband is a emergency medic.

Both work lengthy hours.

The dogs are their children.

Yes, they try their best.

Living an a security complex has it's positives and negatives.

Live with it or move. Vindictive behavior only compounds problems.

Three dogs on a property of 600 m2 of which many improvemnets such as houses make up in the region of 60% of the property.

My opinion such a small property seems unkind to large dogs.

Live with thy neighbor rather than fight with thy neighbor it makes life much easier. Who knows they might be nice people

Last edited by BigClaws; 25-03-13 at 09:34 AM.