logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Vehicle & Technical Chat > Nissan

4x4Community

Nissan SHIFT_freedom

Old 27-09-12, 07:30 PM

Default 2000 Nissan Patrol 4.5i

Hi Patrol owners,

I found a Nissan Patrol 4.5i 2000 model for sale. It is selling for 99 000 and has 239 000 km's on the clock. On first glance, this vehicle looks in mint condition. I am taking it for a drive tomorrow.

A few questions: I think at this price it is quite a good deal. I think you get a lot of 'drive anywhere and over anything 4x4' for a very reasonable price. How reliable is the 4.5i petrol engine? The (Nissan) salesman claims that the engine is 'bullet-proof' and that it can do much more than 400 000 km.

The salesman also said that the fuel consumption is 6km / L. He claims that I can improve this significantly by chipping the vehicle. Is this true?

All and all: Is it sensible to purchase a 12year old patrol? Does it feature the same reliability and 'die-hard' qualities as a cruiser for example?

I do not want to keep it for an everyday commuter. it'll remain in the garage and only be used for travels and 4x4 trails.

Please advise

Many thanks

Old 27-09-12, 07:37 PM

My 1999 3.5 Pajero with MT gives me 6km/l unloaded and not towing.

I think 4.5 means 4.5km/l on a Patrol.

A tank yes and very tough and my next ride when I can afford it's fuel bill.
Old 27-09-12, 07:53 PM

Hi Theuns,

Thanks for the reply. Haha, the fuel consumption is actually so insane, it's morsig.

Regards

Old 27-09-12, 08:01 PM

I think Patrol owners are very rich people and do not understand an armgat's concern with fuel consumption worth answering.

Last edited by theunsb; 27-09-12 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 27-09-12, 09:14 PM

The petrol Patrol engines are bullet proof whether it be 4.2, 4.5 or 4.8. Better than 6km/l and you are very lucky. Improve on that significantly is a pipe dream of not. If you can afford the fuel it is the toughest most reliable vehicle you will buy.
Old 28-09-12, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abri Hoffman View Post
The petrol Patrol engines are bullet proof whether it be 4.2, 4.5 or 4.8. Better than 6km/l and you are very lucky. Improve on that significantly is a pipe dream of not. If you can afford the fuel it is the toughest most reliable vehicle you will buy.
+10

Johan,

Jy kan maar daai voertuig koop, jy sal hom nie sommer op ry nie. Hulle is sowaar so hard soos rots..jy kan maar hom gaan probeer breek.. jy sal dit baie moeilik reg kry..
Old 28-09-12, 06:53 AM

Ek ry die 4800VTC hier in Saudi , jip swaar op die petrol maar kyk krag en ry gemak kan ek nie oor kla nie.

4x4 AG 0081

Swambo :4x4 Gogga

2010 Terios 4x4 Auto - Terios off road suspension

1999 Pajero SWB - Busy with lexus conversion

ONE LIFE LIVE IT!! OFFROAD STYLE!!

Alles in die lewe gebeur met n doel

Old 28-09-12, 11:51 AM

Thumbs up My 4500 GRX

I at the beginning of the year purchased I a 2001 4500 grx for 120k so you are getting a good deal. I have a Hilux i use in the week for work so it is also just my Holiday and weekend Vehicle.

Since Getting it I had it Chipped and gas flowed as well as a new exhaust system fitted. The chipping does not do much for the fuel consumption improves it only slightly but it makes the vehicle so much better to drive power increase on the Dyno by 45% and Torque by 30%.
If you keep your Foot light you should do up to 6.5 but realistically you are looking at between 5.5 and 6.
Remember still you are buying a car that is 12 years old so some maintenance issues will crop up and parts are not the cheapest as with any vehicle in this class.
That said there is no other vehicle on the Market that I would have so much confidence in at that age other than a similar vintage Land Cruiser.

Since Buying Mine I have had to do the following(Prices are for Parts if you can't do it yourself it will cost a bit more):

Replace Plug leads: R 1450
Replace P/S Belt: R 900
Repair A/C pulley: R55 for a new bearing (the complete pulley from Nissan Goes for +- R1700 madness i know)
Replace Radiator Fan R2000

After knowing all of this i have no regrets it is the most awesomely capable vehicle and Runs circles around most other vehicles in a off road environment, fits all the People and the dogs in when you go on holiday, and is a supremely comfortable highway cruiser. I have never been so attached to any vehicle I have owned as I am to this one.

Hope this helps anything else you wana know Just ask.
Old 28-09-12, 01:37 PM
Moderator (aka Zantus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robedeling View Post
Since Getting it I had it Chipped and gas flowed as well as a new exhaust system fitted. The chipping does not do much for the fuel consumption improves it only slightly but it makes the vehicle so much better to drive power increase on the Dyno by 45% and Torque by 30%.
What You sure about those figures? Please post the dyno graphs and/or the details of the person that performed that little miracle, because that's incredible gains...usually a 45% power increase is supercharger or turbo territory.

I've had all those mods done to a vehicle before and with lots of effort they managed to squeeze a 20% power increase out of it.
Old 28-09-12, 05:58 PM

Thumbs up Patrol Figures

I had it done at Vanderlinde Kaya Sands(Stage 2 Conversion)
They Gas Flow the heads
Put a Free Flow Exhaust System on it
Unichip
Cam Degree Timing

The Results were unbelievable, it runs like a beauty, remember the The Patrol does not put out much with a 4.5 lt motor standard, so there are a lot of horses to wake up.
Will scan the Dyno Silp at the office on Mon and Post it.
If you got 14k to spend it is Worthwhile.
Old 28-09-12, 06:41 PM

45% gain ? Surely the figures are incorrect.

JK RUBICON PENTASTAR 2013

JK SAHARA UNLIMITED CRD 2010

ORRA CALLSIGN :WB60

Old 01-10-12, 06:42 AM
ORA

Carlo, i decided not to go that route. I just fitted a freeflo brospeed and even with the bigger tyres, i am back to 12,9l per 100klm approx. I will never get this engine to be economical.

-------------------------

GP

Ian
IOA .Independent offroad association
D22 Datsun Hardbody.
4WDCSA...VHF ZUS2761......29MHZ ZRF430
Dedicated to offroad lifestyle.
RHINO ANTI POACHING SUPPORT
Arrive Alive South Africa | 4x4 Off-Road Driving Techniques & Safety
ORRA WC20

Old 01-10-12, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFFROAD ADDICT View Post
Carlo, i decided not to go that route. I just fitted a freeflo brospeed and even with the bigger tyres, i am back to 12,9l per 100klm approx. I will never get this engine to be economical.

I've made peace with my fuel consumption .Yet those figure mentioned ,surely can't be right ? A 45 % gain ?

JK RUBICON PENTASTAR 2013

JK SAHARA UNLIMITED CRD 2010

ORRA CALLSIGN :WB60

Old 01-10-12, 01:25 PM

Bied vir hul R85K aan dan settle jul op R90K. Jy gaan regtig sukkel om 6km/l op daardie lorrie te kry ( slegs met a baie baie ligte regter voet ) gaan loer bietjie op de Patrol forum , www.patrol4x4.co,za die 4.5 manne is almal baie happy met hul lorries en hy het n ongelooflike sterk "drivetrain" . Ek het die 4.2GQ petrol en ek ry met n ligte voet en my gemiddelde verbruik is so tussen 6 - 6.5km/l maar soos ek sÍ ek ry rustig seker maar om die taxi's agter my bietjie rusteloos te maak.. Koop die PATROL jy salnie spyt wees nie
Shalom

ProComp Extreme AT 31x10.5
OME
Snomaster 60L
Overlander Trailer

Old 02-10-12, 03:14 PM

In maart/april het 'n groep van ons Botswana getoer. In die groep was vier Patrols.

My 4.2 GQ
'n 4.5 GRX Auto
'n 4.8 GRX Auto
'n 3l Diesel GRX Auto

Al die voertuie was relatief swaar gelaai, almal met dakrakke en myne met daktent ook. Ons het teen 100-105km/h op die GPS gery.

Al hierdie voertuie het op daardie gelyk teerpaaie beter as 6km/l behaal. Maar in die dik sand tussen Moremi, duer Savuti en tot naby aan Kasane het die twee auto petrol karre nie 4km/l gesien nie.

Ek ry my kar daagliks werk toe en terug deur Kempton stasie se taxi rank, en dan sukkel ek om 4.5km/l te kry (maar ek het 33"x12.5" bande op, wat glad nie help nie, en ek raak aggro vir die taxis).

Maar wat jy betaal op brandstof spaar jy groot dele van in ander areas.
Depresiasie is klaar afgehandel, en jy gaan hom weer verkoop vir dieselfde prys.
Onderhoud is eenvoudig en goedkoop.
Versekering behoort redelik laag te wees want niemand steel die goed nie.

Myne is 'n 1996 model, ek besit dit al drie en 'n half jaar en dit het nou 270k km op. Al wat nog gebreek het was die viscous koppeling, brandstofpomp en twee klein waterpypies. Ek gaan egter binnekort die verkoeler moet vervang en het ook (onnodiglik) die waterpomp, waaierbande en termostaat vervang terwyl ek gespook het om die oorverhitting hok te slaan wat as gevolg van die viscous koppeling gebeur het.

Last edited by Peter Connan; 02-10-12 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-10-12, 04:06 PM
Commercial Member
(STOCK STANDARD)

as julle weet hoe my gat jeuk vir n 4.8.......dis baie erg!

*4x4, Recovery, Deep Sand
*Accident avoidance and prevention
Premier private and corporate Training-mail me!
herman@angeloffroad.co.za
Manufacturer of Pofadder (c) kinetic recovery rope kits Importers & Distributers of 4x4 products.
Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing

+27824453301 always on.

Old 03-10-12, 07:00 AM
ORA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engel View Post
as julle weet hoe my gat jeuk vir n 4.8.......dis baie erg!
I think a Patrol will suit your lifestyle nicely.
All you need is a fuel sponsor

-------------------------

GP

Ian
IOA .Independent offroad association
D22 Datsun Hardbody.
4WDCSA...VHF ZUS2761......29MHZ ZRF430
Dedicated to offroad lifestyle.
RHINO ANTI POACHING SUPPORT
Arrive Alive South Africa | 4x4 Off-Road Driving Techniques & Safety
ORRA WC20

Old 03-10-12, 12:56 PM

I can only underscore what has already been said; I have owned a bunch of 4x4s from Cruiser to Defender to my current 4.8 GRX Patrol... would not change it for anything.... you eventually get over the "consumption challenges"..

2010 Patrol 4.8 GRX
Full rigged expedition vehicle

Old 05-10-12, 02:44 PM

You get more bang for buck by buying a Patrol instead of a cruiser. You can get a later model with less km.

The body shape is pretty much still the same, the later 4.8 did get a face lift with added bubble dashboard feature, bigger tail lights etc.

The engine as said should last till 400000km. Check hoses and fan blade (some crack). Accessories (shock, suspension, snorkel etc) prices will be in the same ball park as with crusier. You can fit 285/75 R16 (eqv 33) without mods to standard suspension, might need remove front mudflaps.

Rear bumpers a weak point if you charge up an embankment or plough through water. Spares like fan blade can be bought from 3rd party and some engine stuff as well, the rest is an agent affair as with most cars. I've not had to wait for a part yet but if required promises says 3 weeks. You won't find them in scrapyards though, so don't bargain on buying missing beads etc from a scrapyard. Join teh Sa forum and ask PC for a bashplate, transfer case plate and front diff plate. looks good and works even better

The SA and OZ forums are a wealth of info and can guide you with advise or some the known spares/ scarp yard that could assist.

You might get lucky and get 6km/l , but reality is slightly less, more so if bigger wheels etc is fitted, on the other side most have found the bigger tires correct the speedo to within 1 or 2% of gps speed. Get used to being asked "Eish, 2 tanks?" and saying yes fill both, grin, pay and enjoy the drive!
Old 06-10-12, 07:30 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggie View Post
.... Get used to being asked "Eish, 2 tanks?" and saying yes fill both, grin, pay and enjoy the drive!
Ha ha - so true! And looking at the expression on the faces of platkar drivers when you brag that you got better than 5km/l

Last edited by GRX; 06-10-12 at 07:34 AM.
Old 06-10-12, 03:25 PM

without reading all the posts above I can just say "Go for it".
Good value for the money.
I had mine since new and done now 285'000kms, (through my fault I had to replace the engine as I drowned it in a river crossing).
The vehicle is still going strong but I have all the mods you can think of OME suspension with 2" lift, long range and dbl tank (total 210 litres) hydraulic winch, etc.
Check the suspension bushes for play, the visco fan blades then the exhaust, otherwise if she sound okay, there is little that can be wrong.
Mine is chipped and I now have an aftermarket supercharger on which brings the fuel consumption to about 4.5 km/Litre (hi-hi) this fully loaded and towing a trailer in off road conditions. On highway to CPT I get the between 5 and 5.5 km/ltr @ average speed of 100 kph.
I am running 265/75R16's

Enjoy the ride.

Kalahari Safari
ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
Nissan Patrol GU TB45
| Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
Old 06-10-12, 08:40 PM

Thank you all very much,

I was a bit slow, somebody else already grabbed the 2000 Patrol I was looking at. I feel a bit relieved, it had a lot of kilos and I am not, in all honesty, very technically skilled.as In Jan 2013 I want to invest in a newer model with less kilos. Ideal would be one that already has some mods on.

Just a few questions that I would love to ask you all. I have a 2012 NP300 Hardbody 2.5 CDi 4x4. Would it be perhaps wiser to spend 40 - 50 thousand to rather rig the HB rather than buying the Patrol. I was thinking steel bumper, winch, snorkel, and OME suspension? Some users suggested that I fit an extra water separator to protect the engine and injectors against dirty and unpure diesel.

Let us suppose that I do not buy a Patrol and rather convert the HB, would it still be capable to overlanding as far north as let's say Zambia or Tanzania? I bought it for overlanding purposes.

Then, the other option: Let's say that I buy a 2008/9 Patrol with lower kilos. Given the investment, I would not be able to spend as much on modifications than on the HB. I would have to keep the HB as well because I drive 60 - 100 km's per day. Sometimes even more, the Patrol would bankrupt me. I have decided to consider this option seriously in 2013. If I decide to buy the Patrol, should I go for diesel or petrol?

Lastly, how essential is mods when overlanding? I have booked a trip to Makgadigadi, Chobe and Savuti from 18 December 2012 - 1 Jan 2013. As I've mentioned, the HB is brand new and stock standard. Since buying the vehicle, I have done De Wildt, Hennops and Groenkloof. That's it.

Should I perhaps postpone and rather do some off-road training courses first and perhaps fit some mods to vehicle first?

All these options and ideas are confusing and troubling me. Also, I'm not a rich man, so I cannot invest in vehicles at leisure.

I would like to thank you all for the advice: Since joining this forum recently, I have only received humble, honest and truly helpfull advice.

Old 06-10-12, 09:04 PM

how's parts availability and costs vs the cruiser? Patrols, like cruisers, are as solid as a 4x4 can be, quality vehicles...my cousin's husband has the 4.8 GRX...beast!

Old 06-10-12, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann 1984 View Post
Thank you all very much,

I was a bit slow, somebody else already grabbed the 2000 Patrol I was looking at. I feel a bit relieved, it had a lot of kilos and I am not, in all honesty, very technically skilled.as In Jan 2013 I want to invest in a newer model with less kilos. Ideal would be one that already has some mods on.

Just a few questions that I would love to ask you all. I have a 2012 NP300 Hardbody 2.5 CDi 4x4. Would it be perhaps wiser to spend 40 - 50 thousand to rather rig the HB rather than buying the Patrol. I was thinking steel bumper, winch, snorkel, and OME suspension? Some users suggested that I fit an extra water separator to protect the engine and injectors against dirty and unpure diesel.

Let us suppose that I do not buy a Patrol and rather convert the HB, would it still be capable to overlanding as far north as let's say Zambia or Tanzania? I bought it for overlanding purposes.

Then, the other option: Let's say that I buy a 2008/9 Patrol with lower kilos. Given the investment, I would not be able to spend as much on modifications than on the HB. I would have to keep the HB as well because I drive 60 - 100 km's per day. Sometimes even more, the Patrol would bankrupt me. I have decided to consider this option seriously in 2013. If I decide to buy the Patrol, should I go for diesel or petrol?

Lastly, how essential is mods when overlanding? I have booked a trip to Makgadigadi, Chobe and Savuti from 18 December 2012 - 1 Jan 2013. As I've mentioned, the HB is brand new and stock standard. Since buying the vehicle, I have done De Wildt, Hennops and Groenkloof. That's it.

Should I perhaps postpone and rather do some off-road training courses first and perhaps fit some mods to vehicle first?

All these options and ideas are confusing and troubling me. Also, I'm not a rich man, so I cannot invest in vehicles at leisure.

I would like to thank you all for the advice: Since joining this forum recently, I have only received humble, honest and truly helpfull advice.

Johann, you are the only one who can figure out, whether or not you are able or willing to afford the Patrol.
Of course you can do overlanding up to Tanzania (and a lot further) in a HB. In a certain way you could compare it to driving on the beach with a beetle vs. a 4x4. Possible, but not necessarily ideal, unless you don't want to afford a 4x4.
Overlanding with the Patrol would be much nicer than with the HB. THe Patrol would offer so much more comfort and possibly space. Enginewise the larger 6 cylinder Patrol is a better option than the HB engine, it is hugely downrated and was made for that purpose of leisurely propelling the vehicle.

Overlanding with the HB would roughly half your fuel cost. Depending on how long you were planning to keep that bakkie, devaluation by putting on the extra miles would be an issue.

But the question you are asking can't really be answered by simply comparing cost. It is about what do you want to travel in and what do you want to afford.

In my case it is certainly financially not reasonable to keep my old Cruiser. But I do it anyway.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Old 06-10-12, 10:19 PM

I guess all 4x4 bakkies are reasonably capable. However, I'm more concerned with the reliability issues. What is the chances of terrible breakdowns when travelling with the HB vs with the Patrol. I am still young and free of back problems. For me 4x4 capability and reliability is more of an issue than comfort. As long as I know that the HB won't disgrace me on a hellish road somewhere in Africa, I would tolerate the very spartan interior and less comfortable ride. For me it's all about what's going on under the bonnet ito capability and reliability.

Old 06-10-12, 10:38 PM

You won't be able to know for sure either way. But as mentioned earlier on this thread, the 6 cylinder Patrol engines have the reputation of being bullet proof. They are big engines with rather low output. In a way they are crude, very little technology. Their core origins probably somewhere from the 70s or 60s. Hence the fuel consumption. It would be rather unlikely that a Patrol engine would let you down with a major mechanical failure.

The Hardbody 2.5 engine is a derivate of the Navara turbo diesel, I believe. Certainly not a bad engine, in the Hardbody also quite downrated (98 kw vs 140 kw) but still, it's a relatively modern day turbo diesel. More technology, more chances things could go wrong.

If I would go overlanding north of our borders, I would rather go with my 1983 LC than with my Amarok. If something does go wrong, chances to find a local repair shop able to fix the cruiser are higher than anybody being able to fix the Amarok. Same counts for the Patrol vs Hardbody.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Old 06-10-12, 10:47 PM

Point taken. Thanks!

Old 07-10-12, 07:02 AM

Johann
I cant see on this 'crapple' thing where you are from :-) but I have the older '2006' HB 3.0 TDi, rigged out for overlanding and you are more than welcome to have a look at what i've done.(there are pics all over this forum :-) ) I'm in Alberton

Shani and I go to the GTGs, Botswana, Kruger, etc. and we're totally self sufficient......
We've done some interesting stuff and never so far had any hassles. 130k on the clock and going strong. Had the odd repair (prop shaft universals, etc. but that I see as normal ware and tare )
I'm not sure about the newer models, but mine already has 2 diesel filters.
We've done some 'interesting' water crossings too and no problems.
I'm happy to share ideas......

Sent using Tapatalk HD

Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you.Jean-Paul Sartre
Hardbody 3.0 TDi, SEL, D/C Toyota Fortuner 4x4 D4D
Member - Nissan 4x4,McCarthy 4x4, Hilux 4x4ORRA - X197
Old 08-10-12, 08:52 AM

My take on this is that a lot depends on you. What your priorities are, how many people you put in the car and how hard and fast you try and move.

The parts of a vehicle that take the biggest pounding when overlanding is the suspension and drivetrain.

I have heard of and seen a number of front suspension failures on the Hardbody, and only heard of one on a Patrol, and that one was the result of serious abuse. That was a bent rear control arm, it was bent on a rock and then "folded" later. It was fairly easy to fix though.

The failures on the Hardbody front suspension I have seen were usually breakages of the front wishbone, and would have been fairly tricky to fix in the field. I have also heard of several front tie bar failures on these and other similar vehicles.

The Patrol's drivetrain is also very strong and failures are rare.

Modifications:
I have a couple of friends who have done the Moremi/Savuti/Chobe trip in standard Patrols, and the vehicle cope very well in standard form. In my opinion it is worth changing the tire sizes to 285/75/16, as this gives some usefull extra ground clearance, but be advised that in the 3l diesel and 4.5 Petrol cars fitted with automatic transmissions the vehicle may then "hunt" for gears a bit more at freeway speeds. The later 5-speed auto fitted to the 4.8 and the manual boxes do not have this problem.

A good aftermarket suspension does any 4x4 a world of good, but on the Patrol
(and striclty as an overlander) just adding some air-bag helpers to the rear is a good compromise, particularly if you load heavily.

The other things any overland vehicle can do with is a dual-battery system and long-range tanks. The Patrol has a 145l tank as standard, but it can be extended to 200-210l.

Petrol or Diesel:
The 3l has a very bad reputation. However most of the problems related to very early models (2003/2004) and most of these problems have been solved, but it is still not nearly as reliable as any of the Petrol engines or the 4.2 Diesel, but in terms of fuel consumption it trounces all other variations.

The 4.2 Diesel was only sold in SA in non-turbo form, and any modified engine needs to have it's history carefully examined as these engines do not like to be pushed too hard. Modified 4.2's are also prone to overheating. If you can get a N/A version, they are probably the most reliable of all Patrols, but slow.

Old 09-10-12, 09:08 AM

Many many good points and advice here.

If i can add my opinion too:

From past experience (ie:Paying my school-fees) i have come to the conclusion that it is better to invest in a good,solid,reliable overlanding platform (ie: a stock-standard Patrol,Cruiser,Gelandewagen) and use it in its stock standard form until funds allow additional gear, than it is to use a less suited platform with all the mods in the world.

Now, before people with HB's and Hilux's bring their pitchforks and lanterns, let me just say, A Hard Body,hilux,Isuzu etc can do the job very easily and is more than capable of tackling the same terrain (lust look at Ian "OFFROAD ADDICT" and look where he has been in his!),particularly with all the new technologies, but a big ladder frame chassis,large live axles,old school motor tech,robust drivelines,duel oil and/or fuel filtres etc all as standard in a purpose-built package, will often be able to do it day in and day out for a longer period of time, and certainly with more comfort due to coil springs.

So to sum up, yes, you can overland very happily in an stock standard vehicle such as the patrol as they are purpose-built.

My patrol has seen some mods to its benefit, BUT...... in my opinion, a stock standard cruiser,patrol etc will give you less hassels in the long run, as well as possibly even more milage. (This deserves an entirely new thread though).

Good luck with the research, either way, just get out there and get involved. Some of my best overlanding experiences were as a student with both my old 4x4 hilux SFA's and as also later with an Isuzu 280DT 4x4.....so it doesn't always matter what you in...

Last edited by Russ Kellermann; 09-10-12 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-10-12, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
....... The Patrol has a 145l tank as standard, but it can be extended to 200-210l.

Careful with this statement, mine came with 95 litre standard tank (SA spec's)
The TD42 (JPN specs) also goes with 95 litre.

My mods on the TB45 was 145 litre stainless steel tank and 70 litre aluminium aux.
On the TD42 I just added the 70 Litre aux tank.

Range for both +- 800km depending on terrain and weight of the right foot.

Kalahari Safari
ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
Nissan Patrol GU TB45
| Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
Old 09-10-12, 12:26 PM
Moderator (aka Zantus)

The 4.5GRX has two tanks as far as I know, not sure what their capacities are
Old 09-10-12, 12:36 PM

Its 90L and 45L Sub tank to my understanding.....

Patrol pickup comes 95L and 85L Sub.
Old 09-10-12, 01:15 PM

Another consideration for me would be:
The 2.5 Nissan Turbo Diesel engine might not like the diesel you get north of the RSA border so much. This could be compensated for by UDF filters and more frequent oil changes.

The big petrol engine would be less sensitive.

ALBERT EINSTEIN

Old 09-10-12, 01:16 PM
Moderator (aka Zantus)

A total of 135 on the 4.5 GRX rings a bell....thanks!
Old 10-10-12, 08:45 AM

Thanks Russ Kellerman,

For interest sake then: Does the fitment of aftermarket upgrades shorten the lifespan of the vehicle? You mentioned more milage...

Very good advice

Thank you

Old 11-10-12, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
Careful with this statement, mine came with 95 litre standard tank (SA spec's)
The TD42 (JPN specs) also goes with 95 litre.

My mods on the TB45 was 145 litre stainless steel tank and 70 litre aluminium aux.
On the TD42 I just added the 70 Litre aux tank.

Range for both +- 800km depending on terrain and weight of the right foot.
Sorry Walter, I guess I should have pointed out that I was talking about "later" models, as the OP stated an intention of looking for a 2008/2009 model.

However by far the majority of Y61 models do seem to have the double tanks?

Johann certain (most?) modifications will have an adverse effect on vehicle lifespan. Most mods add weight, which will always cause certain parts to work harder, but the effect is usually not enough to worry about and also certainly less detrimental in these larger vehicles.

Larger wheels and tires (while in most circumstances adding off-road ability) also load suspension, steering, axle and drivetrain components harder, and engine modifications will virtually always result in measurably shorter engine lifespan, as well as adding load to the drivetrain.

Despite this, I believe a lot of the modifications we do have more benefits than negatives.