logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Vehicle & Technical Chat > Volkswagen

4x4Community

Old 05-06-12, 07:28 AM

The Crow Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider4x4 View Post
The Ranger brings alot to the table, that is true, but im looking at the 2.2, where the Amarok gets more points is the fact that it has cruize control on the 90kw nd the Ranger doesnt, alot of guys will say just use your big toe, but its important for me and then it also has the gravel road button thing w which i really like, so in those examples its +2 for the Amarok.
+ ESP is an option on the 90kw, but not on the 2.2 T6.

Old 05-06-12, 07:45 AM

retailer Member

Look I don't work for VW and neither for Ford, I had to buy a new DC 4x4 because I sometimes carry people and goods. I drive 8000km's a month and used to do this with my Discovery 4 HSE, so I am used to comfort to say the very least.

I decided to look at the Amarok and the Ranger. Test driven both. The Amarok 90kw for a weekend, towing the boat, driving dirt road to the farm etc. Monday gave the car back and took the 3.2 Ranger manual. Went around the block and returned to the dealer because it didn't touch the Amarok as far as comfort and ease of drive is concerned, I felt completely out of place in the Ford compared to the Amarok.

I went for the 90kw 4 motion with ESP. Then came the accident with the Kudu and I could only get a 120kw as replacement. The 120kw is more luxurios but the 90kw was a nicer drive and about 1km/lt lighter on fuel.

Like I say I don't work for VW but that's my experience. One thing you might want to consider: the 90kw DC only has a lapbelt in the rear middle and the 120kw has a propper shoulder seatbelt and I have 3 kids so definatly a plus for the 120kw and a negative for the 90kw.

Last edited by retailer; 05-06-12 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-06-12, 10:29 AM

Romzotwa Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retailer View Post
Went around the block and returned to the dealer because it didn't touch the Amarok as far as comfort and ease of drive is concerned, I felt completely out of place in the Ford compared to the Amarok.

This negative feedback after only driving the car around the block.
How can anyone give sufficient comment in such short exposure?

Believe me I'm completely VW biased, but the new Ranger is just as good or even better by some opinions.

Old 05-06-12, 10:44 AM

RiaanR Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romzotwa View Post
This negative feedback after only driving the car around the block.
How can anyone give sufficient comment in such short exposure?

Believe me I'm completely VW biased, but the new Ranger is just as good or even better by some opinions.

Want die Ranger ry soos n bakkie en nie soos n Suv nie

2014 AutoAmaRock
RSI Signature Canopy
Cooper Discoverer A/T3 265/70 R17
Madd Cross Country + Bilstein B6 Off Road Shocks

Old 05-06-12, 02:02 PM

Raider4x4 Member

Was notified today that i will have to wait 4-6 months for a ranger, that is of concern to me, what is the availeability of spares then?
Old 05-06-12, 02:09 PM

retailer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiaanR View Post
Want die Ranger ry soos n bakkie en nie soos n Suv nie

Presies!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

Old 05-06-12, 03:06 PM

Raider4x4 Member

I can buy a 2011 Amarok Tdi 4x4 right now, with all extras for 355k, trok has 30 000km on the clock, now i believe thats a good buy, please comment.
Old 05-06-12, 04:10 PM

Bogaards Member

Double cab?
Single/double turbo?
What extras does it have?

You can go and have a look on carfind.co.za

Nice to compare prices...

Toyota Fortuner 2.5 VNT (Work)

Old 05-06-12, 04:22 PM

Raider4x4 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogaards View Post
Double cab?
Single/double turbo?
What extras does it have?

You can go and have a look on carfind.co.za

Nice to compare prices...
Rollbar, towbar, sidestaps, multimedia radio, tonneau cover.
Old 05-06-12, 04:55 PM

retailer Member

Very few good 2nd hand's in the market and they fly if they hit the market, mileage a bit on the high side for a 2011, but it's easy to put mileage on these cars because of the comfort and fuel consumption figures. Make sure the warranty is in place and the tyres are still good. I suppose it's a 120kw 4 motion?

Old 05-06-12, 05:39 PM

Alxrow001 Member

I bought a Feb 2012 registered BiTdi 4Motion with 4500km on the clock for R390,000 on the road. It is the following extras, silver in colour, Andy Cab Platinum series canopy, towbar, leather seats and rubberized loadbin.

I must admit though that I got a steal of a deal

2013 VW Amarok BiTDi 4Motion 132kw 8-Speed Auto (SOLD)
2012 VW Amarok BiTDi 4Motion 120kw (RETURNED)

Rowan Alexander

http://www.fridayavieclub.co.za

Old 05-06-12, 11:45 PM

Raider4x4 Member

Quote:
Very few good 2nd hand's in the market and they fly if they hit the market, mileage a bit on the high side for a 2011, but it's easy to put mileage on these cars because of the comfort and fuel consumption figures. Make sure the warranty is in place and the tyres are still good. I suppose it's a 120kw 4 motion?
No, its the 90kw 4motion.
Old 06-06-12, 11:20 AM

Merlin Member

Quote:
One thing you might want to consider: the 90kw DC only has a lap-belt in the rear middle and the 120kw has a proper shoulder seat-belt and I have 3 kids so definitely a plus for the 120kw and a negative for the 90kw.
I've also got a lap-belt on my DC Trendline on the rear bench middle seat, but don't often carry passengers in the middle there so although it isn't an issue (for now) for me, I'm pretty sure you can retro-fit a 3 point inertia-reel seat-belt to that position though, if you really wanted to (without costing an arm and a leg).

Speaking of seats/belts, etc. I recently witnessed a customer walk off to buy a Hilux after looking at a single-cab Amarok in the local showroom, for the sole reason that the Amarok single-cab is not available with the '3 seat' front seating configuration as on the SC 'lux, not even as an option (granted, they'd have to change the centre console layout on the Single-cab, but they could do it if they wanted to). The T5 SC & DC can be ordered with the full 3-seat front seat, or 2 seat 'walk-through', as a factory option, but not the 'Rok (yet, at least).

2011 Amarok S/C 2.0 TDI 90Kw 4x2 Basic with Seikel Desert suspension and a few other odds and ends
2012 Amarok S/C 2.0 TDI 90Kw 4Motion Basic with Sportsvans MAD MaXX suspension
2008 Volvo XC70 D5 151Kw Polestar AWD (Solid Swede sadly sold to make space for another Wolfsburg LCV )
2011 Amarok D/C 2.0 TDI 90Kw 4x2 Trendline with Seikel suspension (Now with his new owner in Eastern TVL )

Last edited by Merlin; 07-06-12 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Spell
Old 06-06-12, 07:30 PM

Raider4x4 Member

So, today i drove the 2.2 Ranger, during the test drive we drove mostly plaas paaie with mud, nice, the agent said to go for it thats what demos are for, really appreciated the fact that the guy said to test what i want to test on the gravel, mud etc.

Really enjoyed the drive, highest speed on the gravel/mud was 80km/h, did emergency stops and the truck felt good, on the tar went upto 120, no problems there, although the engine sounds at it's happiest around the 110km/h mark. All in all it was a good test drive, this was my third test drive on the ranger, and everytime the Ranger impresses me more.

Stopped at the VW dealership, looked at the Amarok again, but Did not test drive it again just did a good walk around, felt tired and fatigued so decided to head back home via the langpad.

So i got into my Clubcab and drove back to my house via the Karoo farms, and on my way back it struck me..i was feeling little bit tired and fatigued and i asked myself what bakkie do i want to drive right now, in this state of fatigue..and the answer was the Amarok.

The reasoning behind the answer, i dont know, a combination of cruize control, cockpit layout, engine noise, road noise, driver position..i dont know and cant give a definite reason, all i know is that at that stage i wanted it to be an Amarok.

The bakkie will be used for long distance driving, majority on gravel and the back roads of our beautiful South-African platteland, and when mother nature gets angry the bakkie will be used to drive into the eye of the storm, and i think the 90kw TDI 4mtion engine will serve me well.

I am not saying the Amarok is better than the Ranger, i am just saying that today while sitting in my truck in the Klein-karoo i wanted a Amarok.

In conclusion, i have the following questions:

Is there absolutely any validity to the 90kw engine being under powered and over stressed for the large body of the Amarok?
The issue of the clutches going, any validity to it or purely driver error?
Which engine size was used by the Amarok support vehicles in the Dakar?
Did the voetspore team use the 90kw?

To everybody that gave me advice (the lovers and the haters) and for all the advice still to be given, thank you very much.
Old 06-06-12, 07:51 PM
Commercial Member

SarelF Member

I am more than happy with mine.

Sarel 082 820 9413
www.blinkgatproducts.com

Old 06-06-12, 07:57 PM

Vossie Member

Raider,

The 90kw engine is exactly the same as the 120kw (and 132kw) motor except for the second turbo on the latter and slightly different programming of the engine management system. Slightly less powerful but I would choose it if I need to work it hard. Whether it is underpowered for the large body - that is reletive to your expectations/needs. There are many bakkies on the road with a lot lower power to mass ratio and their owners are only complaining about power on the Amarok, but not on their own vehicles! They all want a V6 TDI!

There is nothing wrong with the clutch on the Amarok - it is the hill hold feature that catches out drivers that do not know how it works. They then blame the vehicle/clutch!

As far as I know, they used the 120kw motor in the Dakar, not only because of the better power and torque, but also as part of their test program on the Amarok - and it did pretty well, as we all know.

Not sue if there was a 90kw amongst the Voetspore Amaroks. PM Oom Sarel (SarelF) - he has that big camper on the back of his 90kw Amarok and been all over Sa with it. He will be able to give you his views and experiences on it.

Old 06-06-12, 08:03 PM

retailer Member

I prefer the 90kw, tell you what, phone somebody in Upington, start with somebody neutral, try the owner of the Land Rover garage Andre Van Niekerk, oops - think he also has the Ford dealership, but anyways, phone him and ask his opinion on the Amarok. The whole Upington is full of Amaroks and the oaks drive far and fast on long dirt roads. They also say the Rok is tops in the dunes! Good luck and PM me if you need phone numbers.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

Old 06-06-12, 08:07 PM

JohnGore Member

Any idea what the fuel consumption is on the 90kw Amarok? Town and open road. tks

Old 06-06-12, 08:28 PM

Vossie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGore View Post
Any idea what the fuel consumption is on the 90kw Amarok? Town and open road. tks
Hi John, read here.

Old 06-06-12, 09:31 PM

RiaanR Member

Quote:

Is there absolutely any validity to the 90kw engine being under powered and over stressed for the large body of the Amarok?
Well how much power is enough, I will never have enough power .

Over stressed, I doubt it. Some Roks here run here 150kW on the 2L BiTdi .

Is there any Amarok owner here who's clutch had to be repaired or had to be replaced? I do not know a owner who experienced this. Speak now or forever hold you peace .

Before taking delivery of any vehicle, make sure you are happy with it. Power, handling, wheel alignment, what ever is important.

BTW I see some complaints on the new Ranger http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=115290 .

2014 AutoAmaRock
RSI Signature Canopy

Old 06-06-12, 09:39 PM

KEKPIET Member

Quote:
So, today i drove the 2.2 Ranger, during the test drive we drove mostly plaas paaie with mud, nice, the agent said to go for it thats what demos are for, really appreciated the fact that the guy said to test what i want to test on the gravel, mud etc.

Really enjoyed the drive, highest speed on the gravel/mud was 80km/h, did emergency stops and the truck felt good, on the tar went upto 120, no problems there, although the engine sounds at it's happiest around the 110km/h mark. All in all it was a good test drive, this was my third test drive on the ranger, and everytime the Ranger impresses me more.

Stopped at the VW dealership, looked at the Amarok again, but Did not test drive it again just did a good walk around, felt tired and fatigued so decided to head back home via the langpad.

So i got into my Clubcab and drove back to my house via the Karoo farms, and on my way back it struck me..i was feeling little bit tired and fatigued and i asked myself what bakkie do i want to drive right now, in this state of fatigue..and the answer was the Amarok.

The reasoning behind the answer, i dont know, a combination of cruize control, cockpit layout, engine noise, road noise, driver position..i dont know and cant give a definite reason, all i know is that at that stage i wanted it to be an Amarok.

The bakkie will be used for long distance driving, majority on gravel and the back roads of our beautiful South-African platteland, and when mother nature gets angry the bakkie will be used to drive into the eye of the storm, and i think the 90kw TDI 4mtion engine will serve me well.

I am not saying the Amarok is better than the Ranger, i am just saying that today while sitting in my truck in the Klein-karoo i wanted a Amarok.

To everybody that gave me advice (the lovers and the haters) and for all the advice still to be given, thank you very much.
Hi Raider4x4, dit is presies die rede waarom ek die Amarok gekoop het. Rygerief. My Rok het nou amper 750000km gedoen, waarvan bitter min speletjies was. Het seker so 45000km se swaar sleep agter die rug, selfs meer as 3 ton. Op pad terug van die Kaap af draai ek en vroulief sommer af by Paarl en ry oor Ceres en Sutherland, Fraserburg, Loxton op Victoria wes toe, net om nie teerpad te ry nie. En hy ry gerieflik teen 120 op grondpad. Hy het al klippe gekou, en twee beeste mince meat gemaak, met slegs R32000.00 skade wat geen struktuur skade ingesluit het nie. Ek ry off road, en hy mag maar, en met sy clutch is niks fout nie. Daar is 'n klep wat VW op sy clutch installeer teen geen koste en dit maak hemelbree verskil. Kyk, as jy die ford kies, vat hom, maar ek kan jou vertel as jy regtig 'n voertuig wil geniet, dan is daar geen opsie bo die Amarok nie. En daar is niks fout met die 90kw een nie. Dit is 'n damm awesome voertuig. As jy baie grondpad gaan ry, maak net seker jy vat die ESP opsie saam met die 90kw. jy sal nie spyt wees nie. En as jy wil he hy moet eers lekker ry, dan sit jy die MAD Cross Country suspension van Sportsvans in. Mercedes se gat, die Amarok ry lekkerder. Toevallig is daar beide 90 en 120kw Amarokke in die Dakar gebruik, en kyk aan wat se toestande is hulle daar bloot gestel. Was al deur erge plekke diep in die bos in Zimbabwe met my baas van Duitsland saam, en hy ry net Audi Q7's, en hy self se die Amarok ry selfs in daai slegte omstandighede net so gerieflik soos die Audi. Wel en ek kan tot op datum se dat die diens wat ek van VW gekry het, kan ek nie anders as uit die boonste van die boonste rakke te beskryf. Ek sal my Amarok verruil ja, maar net vir die nuwe 8spoed Auto.

Dis 'n manne ding! As Swambo saamgaan kos dit twee maal so veel en dis net die helfte so lekker!!!

Old 06-06-12, 10:02 PM

petermoffat Member

Quote:

I have nothing useful to add, other than that that post was very refreshing! I wouldn't mind either of the two, but there's got to be something in me that lusts after a vehicle!

2008 Triton CC 3.5V6 4x2 - Sold
2007 Triton DC 2.5DiD 4x4 - Sold

Old 06-06-12, 10:25 PM

Robin.CT Member

My 2 cents...
There is by far no better looking and probably more comfy bakkie than the Amarok. Road driving, smooth as can be, an absolute pleasure.
But......
And its a big one...
If you are looking for logevity and possible offroad capabilities and most importantly towing capacity, I would recommend looking at something with a bit more grunt rather than an incredibly efficient clean motor if that makes sense..

Just after they were release we were towing our Regal with my wife's bakkie at the time a 3.2 Triton which yes it not the prettiest looking bakkie on the road I will admit, and on the way to Klein Kariba saw 2 amaroks with hoods up. Ok, one was towing a Jurgens Exclusive, not light by any means, but the other was towing a little sprite...

Dont get me wrong, as I said, they are awesome looking, fairly capable and really comfy, but I honestly think that if you want to put 150,000km on it and enjoy driving over everything getting there, maybe stick to a Hilux or Triton or the likes..

And I hope I did not upset anyone here, I am impartial, as I drive a real 4x4, a Jeep haa haa haa...

Cheers...

35" Maxxis Bighorns
Synergy Drag link flip
Smittybilt X20 winch
Lots and lots of Jelly Tot extras...

Old 07-06-12, 06:20 AM
Commercial Member

SarelF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin.CT View Post
My 2 cents...
There is by far no better looking and probably more comfy bakkie than the Amarok. Road driving, smooth as can be, an absolute pleasure.
But......
And its a big one...
If you are looking for logevity and possible offroad capabilities and most importantly towing capacity, I would recommend looking at something with a bit more grunt rather than an incredibly efficient clean motor if that makes sense..

Just after they were release we were towing our Regal with my wife's bakkie at the time a 3.2 Triton which yes it not the prettiest looking bakkie on the road I will admit, and on the way to Klein Kariba saw 2 amaroks with hoods up. Ok, one was towing a Jurgens Exclusive, not light by any means, but the other was towing a little sprite...

Dont get me wrong, as I said, they are awesome looking, fairly capable and really comfy, but I honestly think that if you want to put 150,000km on it and enjoy driving over everything getting there, maybe stick to a Hilux or Triton or the likes..

And I hope I did not upset anyone here, I am impartial, as I drive a real 4x4, a Jeep haa haa haa...

Cheers...
Did you stop and ask them why there hoods were up?

Sarel 082 820 9413
www.blinkgatproducts.com

Last edited by SarelF; 07-06-12 at 06:24 AM.
Old 07-06-12, 06:44 AM

stephenplumb Member

I have a 90kw 4 motion but it was a demo and seems to have some extras, like leather, esp etc. the cab is a very nice place to be. I don't think it is the clutch that you need to worry about. If you google you will see that most people are getting the dual mass flywheel replaced. I had mine done before the first service. Since then smooth sailing and am almost. On 45k now.

Fuel consumption is very dependent on how you drive and at what speed. I get as low as 5.4 dawdling back from the airport and up to 9 if towing with some intent but would say the mid 7l/100km is a good working average. The 90kw has almost the same torque as a 3lt hilux, 340 vs 343 from memory so I don't think you have to be concerned there.

I did not have the option of the ranger when but did look quite seriously at the hilux but it just felt like it was about three generations older than the amarok. The amarok is very comfortable to drive and the interior is so much bigger than the hilux. Ranger may be closer but I was parked next to one in springbok and I have to say mine seemed a lot wider.

The size means it is difficult to park. I had a ranger before ( prťcis gen obviously) and the amarok is noticeably bigger in parking lots. I fitted a reverse camera which I would not be without. I must say after a few hiccups I am very happy with mine and I am hoping that the engine will last for ages. I have tossed VWs service schedule. They try to do nothing on it. I change the oil every 7.5k and I insist they replace the air filter etc every 15k.

Also just did a trip jhb-Newcastle-dbn-Richards bay. Filled up with just shy of 1200km on the tank!

I think you would be very happy with the amarok.

Cheers
Stephen
Old 07-06-12, 08:04 AM

Thi Member

@ KEKPIET - "Daar is 'n klep wat VW op sy clutch installeer teen geen koste en dit maak hemelbree verskil"

Kan jy asb uitbrei wat jy hiermee bedoel??

@stephanplumb - "getting the dual mass flywheel replaced"

Could you elaborate on this pls? Why would I do this?

Thx!!

Old 07-06-12, 09:45 AM

KEKPIET Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin.CT View Post
My 2 cents...
But......
And its a big one...

Cheers...
Again, somebody who do not drive one, and you are so wrong. I will rather drive over the rough stuff in my Amarok on the way there before ever considering anything else. Bring any caravan or trailer of your choice, and come and drive with me. After that you will sing another song.

Dis 'n manne ding! As Swambo saamgaan kos dit twee maal so veel en dis net die helfte so lekker!!!

Old 07-06-12, 09:51 AM

KEKPIET Member

Thi, vra net by jou dealer. Dit neem so twee ure om in te sit. Dit is a campaign, en kos jou niks. Haal al die vibrasie wat jy op die pedaal gevoel het uit en die cluch is nie meer so direk vanaf die vloer af nie. Dit maak 'n masiewe verskil. Clutch is ook baaie sagter en smoother. Dit help ook baie met daai laat die engine stol "probleempie" waaroor die ou knolle hulle broeke so nat piepie.

Old 07-06-12, 08:09 PM

idea40 Member

Hi Raider

About the clutch: in the original Roks like mine you can feel the engine vibration through the clutch. On the first ones the clutch action is also a little more sudden/direct than in many other cars, but most drivers will adapt to this in 10 minutes. I hear both these 'issues' can be solved by a free mod on the older ones and the newer ones don't have the 'issues'. Neither the vibration nor the sudden action bothers me enough to have even asked about the free mod.

About clutches burning out in sand or other of road driving...well...I have my suspicions of the cause if ever that has happened: Drivers not having a clue about off-road driving. My Bi-turbo has done 61 000 km, including 4 trips to Mozambique (serious sand driving), some off-road playing, and 4x4-ing in the mountains. It has recovered multiple other 4x4 vehicles from being stuck in sand (let's not mention brands) and no clutch issues at all.

BTW, I had 2 Colt Clubcab 4x4's prior to the Amarok. I was very happy with both of them. The Rok however is in different class on pretty much every level. Most notably:
1. Relaxed highway cruising
2. Gravel handling
3. Fuel consumption (+- 17% better than the 2.8 Colts)
4. Reliability to date. My vehicles work very hard. (both Colts had had quite a few niggles and issues by this time/km, the Rok NONE)
5. Sand driving

My experience and opinion. I have not driven the Ford, but it sure looks like a good bakkie. Good luck with your choice.

Old 07-06-12, 08:32 PM

MariusFourie Member

I think those two roks on the side with their bonnets up where accessing the battery to inflate after having a jol on gravel!

Imagine VW developed the R5 engine to common rail with the twin turbo setup and stuck it in the rok with an 8 speed auto? I think Toyota would have crapped themselves! That would be a fantastic combination!

As far as the ranger goes, i havent driven either the ranger or the rok but from opinions given i think the ranger is better suited as a workhorse and the rok for overlanding/long distance.

Sent via iPad & Forum Runner

MY DIY WEBSITE

PBPGINFWMY
Life isn't fair. But, do you look at those richer or poorer than you when you make the statement?
Old 07-06-12, 09:29 PM

scirocco Member

Just spoken to my wife, she droved my Rok back to Musina from Klerksdorp and used it the the whole week driving to work and around town.
She asked me when is the fuel prices going down as she must seker sometime fill it up again.
The fuel gauge is still over 1/4 and the fuel light is not even burning yet.
What make this more interisting - mama got a heavy foot as I get all the tickets in the post. LOL

2013 VW Beetle
2007 Seat Altea Tdi DSG

Old 13-06-12, 10:31 AM

JJE Member

Read this thread with interest. Sounds like the Amarok owners are mostly happy.

I test drove an Amarok and liked the ride, front interior, front styling. I didn't like the wallowy ride on bumpy roads at speed (feels as if needs stiffer dampers), the lack of punch from the engine and the poor rear passenger leg space.
Eventually I got a 5 cyl Ranger 4x4 Auto and I am very happy with it. Obviously there is a fuel economy penalty compared to a 2L, but I get average 9.4l/100 (down to 8.4l/100 km) which is probably not too bad for an Auto with a torquey engine.

Well, all the established brands are good these days, so probably no need to worry about good service from an Amarok. The Toyota guys are going on about their precious cars - I've seen many of them stranded and its just another car!
Old 13-06-12, 01:13 PM

stephenplumb Member

I think there has been much written about the dual mass flywheel on other posts. I had mine replaced and since then it has been fine. I think I am generally very light on clutches. The amarok and any diesel should not need any accelerator application until the clutch is fully released. This is how I drive mine. I can't really say why mine went although it was a demo vehicle and that could mean anything!!!

Since then it has been chugging along nicely and is almost ready for its 45K service. Regarding the low range. This was one of my main reasons for purchase and one of the first things i checked. It is often frustrating trying to get it into low range, but once it is there, it is a very low, low range. I don't get to drive on the beach much anymore here in JHb but I am quite sure that the LR is more than low enough for any beach driving.

For the Toy crowd, I recently had to pull a fortuner out of the slipway because his first gear was too high. I still had my trailer on so just tied a rope from my trailer to his bull bar and idled up the ramp with his toy and boat and my trailer. This is not a criticism of Toyota but many cars have a crap first gear. My ford ranger would often die in a pile of clutch smoke on the ramp as it too had a useless 1st gear.

The Low range box is the main reason I bought the VW and unfortunately many makers do not put a proper 1st gear in the 2wd bakkies which is fine is you have the option of LR but pretty pointless without it. My ford was totally crap on any sort of incline and with any sort of load. (it was a 4Ltr V6) My amarok will idle under similar circumstances with even heavier loads.

I am not sure what the Amarok 2wd would be like under similar circumstances however it does have a much lower 1st gear than the ford so I am going to say it is probably better.

Cheers
Stpehen
Old 13-06-12, 03:08 PM

Raider4x4 Member

Had a very dissapointing interaction with a VW dealer lately, offered me a shocker of a trade in, fortunately I have contacted other dealers that seem alot more on par as far trade/retail is concerned.

Anyway, the reason for this post..I have just been informed by another dealer that maybe i should wait abit and wait for the new 103kw 4motion thats on its way, any comments on the new trucks, am i correct in saying its not a facelift just an engine update to coincide with 130kw thats here or on its way?

Gentleman, i eagerly await your responses, and be assured i thank all of you for contributing to my search for the right vehicle!
Old 13-06-12, 04:47 PM

Cobus80 Member

Quote:
Anyway, the reason for this post..I have just been informed by another dealer that maybe i should wait abit and wait for the new 103kw 4motion thats on its way, any comments on the new trucks, am i correct in saying its not a facelift just an engine update to coincide with 130kw thats here or on its way?
Give that dealer a Bells!

Amazing that they actually told you that a better version of the vehicle will be here soon!

I'd hang on if I were you. That extra 13kw will make a difference!

ORRA Call Sign: B327

Old 13-06-12, 05:06 PM

Raider4x4 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobus2.5DID View Post
Give that dealer a Bells!

Amazing that they actually told you that a better version of the vehicle will be here soon!

I'd hang on if I were you. That extra 13kw will make a difference!
Its a small town dealership in the klein-karoo, they want business and also they sell bakkies to the surrounding boere, do you really want to sukkel with a klein-karoo boer..i dont think so
Old 13-06-12, 05:16 PM

KEKPIET Member

Quote:
Its a small town dealership in the klein-karoo, they want business and also they sell bakkies to the surrounding boere, do you really want to sukkel with a klein-karoo boer..i dont think so
Will be worth waiting for it. However this is the output on the single turbo with the Race Chip Pro. Actually it can be even higher.

Old 13-06-12, 05:58 PM

RiaanR Member

Quote:
Had a very dissapointing interaction with a VW dealer lately, offered me a shocker of a trade in, fortunately I have contacted other dealers that seem alot more on par as far trade/retail is concerned.

Gentleman, i eagerly await your responses, and be assured i thank all of you for contributing to my search for the right vehicle!
I'll wait too!

2014 AutoAmaRock
RSI Signature Canopy

Old 13-06-12, 06:15 PM

Raider4x4 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEKPIET View Post
Will be worth waiting for it. However this is the output on the single turbo with the Race Chip Pro. Actually it can be even higher.
So is this merely a electrical upgrade or is it a new engine?
Old 13-06-12, 06:36 PM

RiaanR Member

see post #115, even though it is the 132kW.
http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...=111916&page=6

2014 AutoAmaRock
RSI Signature Canopy

Old 13-06-12, 08:57 PM

Raider4x4 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiaanR View Post
see post #115, even though it is the 132kW.
http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...=111916&page=6
Got it, thanks Riaan.

reasoning behind the upgrades on both models, possibly to compete better withthe Rangers?
Old 13-06-12, 09:06 PM

RiaanR Member

Quote:
Got it, thanks Riaan.

reasoning behind the upgrades on both models, possibly to compete better withthe Rangers?
Or improving the design, or addressing complaints , like a lockable tail gate

2014 AutoAmaRock
RSI Signature Canopy

Old 13-06-12, 09:52 PM

Raider4x4 Member

I just found the Amarok forum, wow alot of serious complaints concerning the reverse gear and shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, alot of very upset owners!
Old 13-06-12, 10:10 PM
Commercial Member
(STOCK STANDARD)

Engel Member

When I bought my T5 transporter I was told the clutch would last 70 000km. I am on 200 000km now, no problem. I never stall my vehicle, but others do. The 90kw sc 4 motion is 270 000 ront and the 120kw 350 000 ront. That 80k extra!! The 90kw just makes more sense.

*4x4, Recovery, Deep Sand
*Accident avoidance and prevention
Premier private and corporate Training-mail me!
herman@angeloffroad.co.za
Manufacturer of Pofadder (c) kinetic recovery rope kits Importers & Distributers of 4x4 products.
Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing

+27824453301 always on.

Old 13-06-12, 10:19 PM
Commercial Member

SarelF Member

Quote:
I just found the Amarok forum, wow alot of serious complaints concerning the reverse gear and shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, alot of very upset owners!
Ek is seker as daar n probleem was is dit uitgesorteer want myne werk fantasties van dag een af.

Sarel 082 820 9413
www.blinkgatproducts.com

Old 14-06-12, 08:42 AM

cdippenaar Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhansie View Post
Ek dink baie van n amarok, maar. Nie as n ernstige ry oral 4x4 nie. Dit is n goeie gerieflike lekker allround bakkie. Hy sal goed doen in atlantis maar ek dink nog steeds in die namib onder n hoe duin in dik sand met min plek om spoed op te tel gaan hy sukkel maar n men's ry mos darem nie baie op sulke plekke nie. Dit is egter vir my Belangrik en dit is hoekom ek petrol verkies. Ek sal n amarok koop maar nie vir trails ry en speel nie.

Ek stem glad nie met jou saam nie. Ek het n Amarok en ry baie trials. Het voorheen n SWB Pajero gehad en was bekommerd oor die VW se vermoens. Die Amarok is n fantastiese 4x4 in duine en dik sand. Dit het n ongelooflike 3de Laerat wat ooral loop. Beter as die Pajero. Hou die revs tussen 2.5 en 3.5 en hy is onstopbaar.

Ek was al baie kere by The Dunes in Lambertsbaai en daar is so kort aanloop (10m max)met n hoe duin. Die manne met hulle SWB V8s het lank gesukkel en toe met my gespot met die Diesel rok wat n kans wou vat. Ek wou rerig net net kyk hoe ver ek teen die duin kon op want my Pajero het net driekwart gekom. Die Rok is eerste keer daar uit in 3de Laag. Almal se bekke was stil toe ek weer onder kom. Myne ook want ek het dit nie verwag nie.

Die Amarok sal kringe om baie 4x4 ry. Baie happy met myne en sal dit aanbeveel as n uitstekende 4x4.

Net een probleem. VW SA se diens is pateties. Dis jammer want ek wou volgende jaar myne inruil vir die automaties. Oorweeg nou Toyota want ek dink nie VW SA verdien dit om die vooreg te he om so goei DC te kan verkoop nie.
Old 14-06-12, 08:56 AM

Raider4x4 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engel View Post
When I bought my T5 transporter I was told the clutch would last 70 000km. I am on 200 000km now, no problem. I never stall my vehicle, but others do. The 90kw sc 4 motion is 270 000 ront and the 120kw 350 000 ront. That 80k extra!! The 90kw just makes more sense.
90kw 4motion DC is selling now for minimum 380k
Old 14-06-12, 09:11 AM

Cobus80 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdippenaar View Post
Net een probleem. VW SA se diens is pateties. Dis jammer want ek wou volgende jaar myne inruil vir die automaties. Oorweeg nou Toyota want ek dink nie VW SA verdien dit om die vooreg te he om so goei DC te kan verkoop nie.
Dit is om jou neus af te sny om jou gesig terug te kry!

Dink net jy kan die Amarok elke dag geniet en eendag bietjie sukkel met die handelaar of jy kan jou Toyota elke dag verwens en eendag plesier he wanner jy hom vir iemand anders gee...

Alle vervaardigers het maar klagtes oor dienslewering. Een ou ervaar dinge anders as 'n ander. Dink net as jy nou 'n ander fabrikaat koop en slegte diens ook nog kry!

ORRA Call Sign: B327

Old 14-06-12, 10:14 AM

JacoE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobus2.5DID View Post
Dit is om jou neus af te sny om jou gesig terug te kry!

Dink net jy kan die Amarok elke dag geniet en eendag bietjie sukkel met die handelaar of jy kan jou Toyota elke dag verwens en eendag plesier he wanner jy hom vir iemand anders gee...

Alle vervaardigers het maar klagtes oor dienslewering. Een ou ervaar dinge anders as 'n ander. Dink net as jy nou 'n ander fabrikaat koop en slegte diens ook nog kry!
Exactly.... Soek eerder 'n handellaar wat jou beter diens bied as om daai ding op 'n Hilux te gaan trade.

Old 14-06-12, 10:28 AM

Thi Member

Last edited by Thi; 14-06-12 at 10:30 AM.