logo

Go Back   4x4 Community Forum > General Category > Vehicle & Technical Chat > Mitsubishi

4x4Community

Notices

Mitsubishi Spirited cars for spirited people!

Old 10-05-12, 10:19 PM

Default Gen 2 Pajero rev'ing odd...

While returning from Lesotho, the shorty started something odd. In 4th or 5th gear, mostly on uphills when I give a bit of gas, she will rev cleanly to 4000rpm, and then suddenly lose power and rev down to 2500ish. It happened intermittently and I didn't think to much of it, just geared down to 3rd, give gas again and all is well. For a while I thought it was the clutch slipping, but then reminded myself it would rev up if the clutch slips, not rev down

Now the wife tells me it's doing it in 2nd and 3rd as well. There is a slight uphill to the kids school, and when she drives up it in 3rd or even 2nd, it revs cleanly to 4000rpm, then just backs itself off to 2500rpm..

It idles fine, on straight roads it runs like the clappers, only happens on uphills where it needs to work a bit. Before you ask, it had a major service 4000km ago.

So, anything I can check, or should I just take it to Mitspro and have them look at it?
Old 10-05-12, 10:30 PM

fuelpump/filter maybe.
Old 11-05-12, 07:54 AM

fuel filter or MAF sensor.

unplug the MAF connector, drive again. If the problem goes away then there's your answer. If not then my money is on the fuel filter.

Life isn't fair. But, do you look at those richer or poorer than you when you make the statement?
Old 11-05-12, 08:32 AM

Thanks guys, I'll get under the bonnet this weekend and see if the MAF sensor might be the culprit. If not, it's off to Mitspro...
Old 11-05-12, 08:35 AM

does she idle normal?
Old 11-05-12, 10:12 AM

Ek sou raai petrol pomp, het n vriend met n 1999 model gehelp so paar maande terug met syne. Selde as jou sinario, en het in n week of twee net vererger. Ek het getoets deur om die kar te stop as hy begin "swaar kry" en weer aan te skakel, as hy n paar 100m reg is en weer begin, moontlik daai pomp.
Kyk ook na die copper washers op die pertol filter, dat hul mooi seel.

Sterkte.
Old 11-05-12, 01:51 PM

Sounds like you getting fuel starvation under load.... and this is when it really needs fuel delivery when pulling up a hill.

My first suspect is the fuel pump or more common a dirty fuel filter. Specially if it started from a trip in Lesotho, where you might have ingested a bit of "african Fuel' Change the filter first.... its not under the bonnet but under the chassis near the rear wheels

If this does not help..... take out the MAF sensor and clean it with some carb cleaner spray.
Otherwise, yes mitspro to get a fule gauge on the rail to see if the fuel pump is delivering the correct fuel pressure and take it from there
2002 Colt, 2.8 tdi Rodeo, 4x4, ARB Bull Bar, Excalliber Running Boards, Monroe Gas Magnum Shocks, Bridgestone D694 A/T, Excel 53l long range tank, National Luna Dual Battery System, Campmaster 80l Fridge/Freezer Combo, FrontRunner Fridge slide, Alpha Gte Canopy with FrontRunner Roof Rack and Homemade Awning...[SIGPIC] Pulling a Caravan sometimes
Old 11-05-12, 03:18 PM

Thanks.. a bit of a note, I filled up at Underberg and didn't use any fuel from Lesotho. We had a jerry can with another 20L but only used that once we got to Fouriesberg past the Caledonspoort border post when we filled up again..

I think I'll drop it at Mitspro and ask them to have a look at the MAF, filter and pump.. thanks for the suggestions everyone
Old 17-05-12, 05:40 PM

Bit of feedback for those interested in this sort of thing. Dropped the vehicle this morning at Mitspro, asked Freek to look at the filter, pump and MAF. Got a call this afternoon, it's none of the above.

My initial thoughts around the clutch being 'moeg' was right, needs a new clutch. Told him to go ahead and do it, so shorty is in for a new clutch and flywheel skimming I'll report back when I have her (which might be tomorrow afternoon if I'm lucky)
Old 17-05-12, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
Bit of feedback for those interested in this sort of thing. Dropped the vehicle this morning at Mitspro, asked Freek to look at the filter, pump and MAF. Got a call this afternoon, it's none of the above.

My initial thoughts around the clutch being 'moeg' was right, needs a new clutch. Told him to go ahead and do it, so shorty is in for a new clutch and flywheel skimming I'll report back when I have her (which might be tomorrow afternoon if I'm lucky)
Youd better get it back tomorrow - you have a date...

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

4WDCSA-WC, Pajero Club

Old 17-05-12, 05:54 PM

Please PM me with the cost when you can. My Paj is also due for a new clutch one of these days, and Mitspro will be fitting it. Just need to get some sort of heads up. Thanks!

Louis

Stock standard 99 Pajero 3.5
Old 17-05-12, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Youd better get it back tomorrow - you have a date...
If I don't get it back, I'll need to make another plan to get those shirts from you if possible..
Old 19-05-12, 05:57 AM

Default Mine is back there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loehis View Post
Please PM me with the cost when you can. My Paj is also due for a new clutch one of these days, and Mitspro will be fitting it. Just need to get some sort of heads up. Thanks!
I dropped my Shorty at Freek's place again last night and will collect it again today after work.

He is just going to torque the two heads as I've done my 1000kms after the two heads were done. Gas flowed the exhaust ports, new valve stem seals, guides and machining of the valve seats.

Loehis, I can not say exactly how much the clutch will be to install as I've bought mine at Midas for R1400-00 (LUK Kit). He also did my flywheel and I think it will not be fair to mention his prices because it will differ from vehicle to vehicle.

Must also say, I'm very impressed with his work as you can not even see that that engine was removed at all. Everything in its place again after the removal. I think if you take 5k in your pocket you will be sorted.

Renier

96 LWB 2,8 TDI Pajero. Busy Body (Repairs)
97 SWB 3L V6 Pajero. Small Beast. Rebuilt Gumtree Special.
I can not sell these two vehicles as they keep me in a job!!!!
Old 21-05-12, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renier.deJongh View Post
I think it will not be fair to mention his prices because it will differ from vehicle to vehicle.

Must also say, I'm very impressed with his work as you can not even see that that engine was removed at all. Everything in its place again after the removal.
Yes, thanks Renier. Hence me asking to PM me. I know Mitspro will not take his clientele for a ride, just wanted to "soundboard" my own perceptions of how much a clutch replacement costs. Mitspro renders excellent service.

Louis

Stock standard 99 Pajero 3.5
Old 22-05-12, 06:18 PM

Well clutch kit is around R4000.00 (I paid R4200.00) but overpaid a bit. About 4 to 4 1/2 hours labour, work it out. To me a reasonable amount would be R1600 labour add to cost of clutch is R5600.00. How close am I ?
Old 24-05-12, 09:00 PM

Right, so I got her back this afternoon. Total cost was R3255, but of course this may vary according to how much work needs to be done.

Clutch 'takes' a little low, spoke to Renier on the phone, and his did the same. Might need to replace master or slave cylinder, but they are scarce due to Imperial being useless. Will just live with it for now. Very happy with the service Mitspro gave, albeit taking a bit long (due to being sent the wrong clutch kit).
Old 25-05-12, 08:36 PM

Default Got mine back today

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
Right, so I got her back this afternoon. Total cost was R3255, but of course this may vary according to how much work needs to be done.

Clutch 'takes' a little low, spoke to Renier on the phone, and his did the same. Might need to replace master or slave cylinder, but they are scarce due to Imperial being useless. Will just live with it for now. Very happy with the service Mitspro gave, albeit taking a bit long (due to being sent the wrong clutch kit).
I've collected my Shorty in PTA this afternoon. Yes, correct, mine is like a brand new Pajero now. The clutch is bakgat, like new. And it was the master cylinder kit that fixed it all. I've replaced the slave cylinder kit as well (R87-00) Freek was battling to find a master cylinder kit so I went to our dealer here in Witbank and surfed their Mitso system. There was one kit in Capetown, one in Volksrust and another one in Secunda. (That is three kits Nationwide)

So I've couriered the one from Secunda to Witbank and took it with to Mitspro this afternoon. An our later and voila, I was as happy as a brother in Parlement. No problem.

Pieter, you are correct, sometimes Freek will take longer but it is due to his brilliant knowledge service and reputation. Did you see all the Pajeros in his yard? (I even saw Dave Faddel's white LWB there today. (I saw the forum sticker on the back and the little bit of 6year old mud on the fenders)

Now for the next ten years

Renier

96 LWB 2,8 TDI Pajero. Busy Body (Repairs)
97 SWB 3L V6 Pajero. Small Beast. Rebuilt Gumtree Special.
I can not sell these two vehicles as they keep me in a job!!!!