Most enjoyable route for the tourist :-) From Sossusvlei to Swakopmund




Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Oene
    Age
    39
    Posts
    179
    Thanked: 0

    Default Most enjoyable route for the tourist :-) From Sossusvlei to Swakopmund

    Hello everybody,

    When driving in a hilux and need to drive within the day from sossuvlei to Swakopmund, which route would you recommend?

    I'm looking at a Tracks4Africa map and it's basically the C14, but...

    I could do a detour via:

    1. Gobabeb (left after the kuiseb pass) and then head back to the c-14 or continue to Walvis bay

    2. Gobabeb (left after the kuiseb pass) and continue to Walvis bay via D-1983

    3. Hochlandkoppe (right after the kuiseb pass) and head back to the C14 via the D1982

    4. Hochlandkoppe (right after the kuiseb pass) and continue via the unnamed road to the C-28

    5. Just follow the C-14 :-)

    What would you do, based on your experience?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Windhoek & Bramley, UK
    Age
    77
    Posts
    640
    Thanked: 3

    Default

    You are basically stuck with the C14 until after the Kuiseb Pass - Rostok Ritz makes a good coffee/cold beer/ lunch, stopover after the Gaub Pass - after the kuiseb, you can turn left and drive through, but you are supposed to have a permit (see notices at road junctions).
    Alternatively, you can turn right onto the D1998, then right again at D1982, then left onto D1985 which will bring you to the C28 (no permits required on this route).
    If you decide to stay on C14 to Walvis, turn right shortly before Walvis onto the D1984, which will take you past the dunes and up to the C28 just outside Swakop - this, I think is preferable to the coast road..

    Chris & Liz Card (Land Rover Defender Tdi (N104 625W) & 1928 4.5L Bentley in UK) Drive safe - better to arrive late, than dead on time.
    .............leaving only footprints.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    59
    Posts
    8,366
    Thanked: 213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Card View Post
    after the kuiseb, you can turn left and drive through, but you are supposed to have a permit (see notices at road junctions)...
    You can get the permit at Sesriem, if you get bust without it, there is a fine.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Oene
    Age
    39
    Posts
    179
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Is either of these routes preferrable?
    I mean, is the scenery different or do i otherwise miss that favourite spot, if I "just"take the c-14?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    59
    Posts
    8,366
    Thanked: 213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oosy View Post
    Is either of these routes preferrable?
    I mean, is the scenery different or do i otherwise miss that favourite spot, if I "just"take the c-14?
    Each route has its own charm. Best is to pick up a permit at Sesriem (they are pretty cheap) then you have the options of taking whatever route looks more interesting. The Gobabeb road has the advantage of going along the Kuiseb.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    East Rand
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,197
    Thanked: 0

    Default Know his stuff

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Card View Post
    You are basically stuck with the C14 until after the Kuiseb Pass - Rostok Ritz makes a good coffee/cold beer/ lunch, stopover after the Gaub Pass - after the kuiseb, you can turn left and drive through, but you are supposed to have a permit (see notices at road junctions).
    Alternatively, you can turn right onto the D1998, then right again at D1982, then left onto D1985 which will bring you to the C28 (no permits required on this route).
    If you decide to stay on C14 to Walvis, turn right shortly before Walvis onto the D1984, which will take you past the dunes and up to the C28 just outside Swakop - this, I think is preferable to the coast road..
    I just followed what Chris said on my map book and T4A and it sounds like this man knows what he is talking about. Good advice to follow. ps: could of sworn he has done this recently.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Bellville
    Age
    48
    Posts
    11,169
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    We stuck to the C14 and the scenes where good.

    very easy day drive.


    and YES Rostock Ritz is well worth the visit !! The scenery IS spectacular.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Oene
    Age
    39
    Posts
    179
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Really looking fwd to it. I just hope we will be ahead of most of the rain, as we're driving through Chobe and Moremi late November

Similar Threads

  1. NamibiŽ - 50 Doendinge
    By Spook in forum Namibia
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 2014/04/02, 08:32 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2010/12/22, 02:21 PM
  3. Cannot calculate the route
    By hoenner in forum GPS & Mapping
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2010/04/05, 05:22 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •