Most enjoyable route for the tourist :-) From Sossusvlei to Swakopmund

Default Most enjoyable route for the tourist :-) From Sossusvlei to Swakopmund

Hello everybody,

When driving in a hilux and need to drive within the day from sossuvlei to Swakopmund, which route would you recommend?

I'm looking at a Tracks4Africa map and it's basically the C14, but...

I could do a detour via:

1. Gobabeb (left after the kuiseb pass) and then head back to the c-14 or continue to Walvis bay

2. Gobabeb (left after the kuiseb pass) and continue to Walvis bay via D-1983

3. Hochlandkoppe (right after the kuiseb pass) and head back to the C14 via the D1982

4. Hochlandkoppe (right after the kuiseb pass) and continue via the unnamed road to the C-28

5. Just follow the C-14 :-)

What would you do, based on your experience?

You are basically stuck with the C14 until after the Kuiseb Pass - Rostok Ritz makes a good coffee/cold beer/ lunch, stopover after the Gaub Pass - after the kuiseb, you can turn left and drive through, but you are supposed to have a permit (see notices at road junctions).
    Alternatively, you can turn right onto the D1998, then right again at D1982, then left onto D1985 which will bring you to the C28 (no permits required on this route).
    If you decide to stay on C14 to Walvis, turn right shortly before Walvis onto the D1984, which will take you past the dunes and up to the C28 just outside Swakop - this, I think is preferable to the coast road..

Chris & Liz Card (Land Rover Defender Tdi (N104 625W) & 1928 4.5L Bentley in UK) Drive safe - better to arrive late, than dead on time.
    .............leaving only footprints.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Card View Post
    after the kuiseb, you can turn left and drive through, but you are supposed to have a permit (see notices at road junctions)...
    You can get the permit at Sesriem, if you get bust without it, there is a fine.

Is either of these routes preferrable?
    I mean, is the scenery different or do i otherwise miss that favourite spot, if I "just"take the c-14?

Quote Originally Posted by Oosy View Post
    Is either of these routes preferrable?
    I mean, is the scenery different or do i otherwise miss that favourite spot, if I "just"take the c-14?
    Each route has its own charm. Best is to pick up a permit at Sesriem (they are pretty cheap) then you have the options of taking whatever route looks more interesting. The Gobabeb road has the advantage of going along the Kuiseb.

Default Know his stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Card View Post
    You are basically stuck with the C14 until after the Kuiseb Pass - Rostok Ritz makes a good coffee/cold beer/ lunch, stopover after the Gaub Pass - after the kuiseb, you can turn left and drive through, but you are supposed to have a permit (see notices at road junctions).
    Alternatively, you can turn right onto the D1998, then right again at D1982, then left onto D1985 which will bring you to the C28 (no permits required on this route).
    If you decide to stay on C14 to Walvis, turn right shortly before Walvis onto the D1984, which will take you past the dunes and up to the C28 just outside Swakop - this, I think is preferable to the coast road..
    I just followed what Chris said on my map book and T4A and it sounds like this man knows what he is talking about. Good advice to follow. ps: could of sworn he has done this recently.

We stuck to the C14 and the scenes where good.

very easy day drive.

and YES Rostock Ritz is well worth the visit !! The scenery IS spectacular.

Really looking fwd to it. I just hope we will be ahead of most of the rain, as we're driving through Chobe and Moremi late November