Bmw X3




Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Bmw X3

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Randburg
    Age
    45
    Posts
    944
    Thanked: 0

    Default Bmw X3

    Well with the Panda we also had a X3 tagging along which impressed me a lot for being a softroader with no greater ground clearance than the panda but lots more engin power. Altough there were placed that we needed to look for an alternative route through the bush it did go most of the places we played. (note to myself don't buy this BMW - & yes it will be in the market soon as the driver saw why we didn't buy this kind of offroader (or should I say softroader).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BM1.JPG 
Views:	469 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	4009   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BM2.JPG 
Views:	417 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	4010  
    Last edited by Bundu; 2007/05/02 at 12:18 PM.


    Hein

    Mazda Drifter 2.5TD D/Cab 4x4 "BURAWA"

  2. #2
    Beans Guest

    Default

    Must still be under motorplan

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Randburg
    Age
    45
    Posts
    944
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Definatly - car is not yet a year old.
    But the driver was very responsable. Coinsedetally it was people that I know from work envornment (client & supplier) & they though that it being a 4x4 they'll go for a day's outing, luckly they found us there & we mananged to coach them trough most of the places (the car didn't get any damage) & he did take the escape routes where there was except 2 places were the 4x2 track/escape route was also bad & we had to look for alternative route for it.


    Hein

    Mazda Drifter 2.5TD D/Cab 4x4 "BURAWA"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    41
    Posts
    41
    Thanked: 0

    Wink

    The X5 is actually better of road then the X3 however they are both softroaders I know of a guy who has moded his X5 with some really serious suspention and even a diff lock to aid the traction control he also has found a way of fitting a low range to this X5 I am busy trying to get more info on this if anyone is intrested?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nigel
    Age
    55
    Posts
    13,530
    Thanked: 70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    The X5 is actually better of road then the X3 however they are both softroaders I know of a guy who has moded his X5 with some really serious suspention and even a diff lock to aid the traction control he also has found a way of fitting a low range to this X5 I am busy trying to get more info on this if anyone is intrested?
    Why the hell bother?
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    melkbosstrand
    Age
    49
    Posts
    661
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by henris View Post
    Why the hell bother?
    AGREED! with all that money, buy a cruiser!
    VW Amarok 132kw 4motion highline 2012
    (RaceChip Pro)

    VW Touareg R-line BlueMotion TDI 2014 with the works

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    44
    Posts
    28
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Had the x3 2.0d and currently the 3.0d . Will kick any serious off roader's butt in the dunes on a long steep dune climb. If you are carefull of approach angles and ramp over angels its very good in the dunes.....

    Pic's of dune driving













  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    58
    Posts
    1,630
    Thanked: 6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    Why the hell bother?
    I think the answer is simple, because there is not a single "real" off roader with a proper diesel engine!

    I wish I could build one of those beemer engines into my Landy. What a vehicle it would be then!!!

    Even though I drive the Landy, I also own an X5. Despite being a diesel, it does 0 to 100 in 7 seconds and I've driven it through mountain passes the way you take a sports car through there.

    I agree with Bartho, on one dune trip that I did (in the old X5 that had the weaker engine), my companion was driving a 3.5 petrol Pajero and I easily outperformed him in the dunes, despite having lower profile tyres!!

    C

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    45
    Posts
    11,235
    Thanked: 24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by C Africa View Post
    I think the answer is simple, because there is not a single "real" off roader with a proper diesel engine!...
    I think many people will disagree with you there

    Even though I drive the Landy, I also own an X5. Despite being a diesel, it does 0 to 100 in 7 seconds and I've driven it through mountain passes the way you take a sports car through there.
    So you mod it like the guy mentioned in an earlier post and you certainly won't be driving it like that.

    I agree with Bartho, on one dune trip that I did (in the old X5 that had the weaker engine), my companion was driving a 3.5 petrol Pajero and I easily outperformed him in the dunes, despite having lower profile tyres!!
    Performance in the sand does not an offroader make... I agree with henri... why the hell bother?
    Last edited by SimonB; 2009/05/19 at 08:40 AM.
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!


    Cape Town Weather and Imagery

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Joburg
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,445
    Thanked: 4

    Default

    Ive Spent a Lot of time in my SO's mom's X3. Trips to the Waterberg and down to the South Coast.

    After a 6hr trip my back was broken an I thought I was going to wee blood. It has such bad ride quality, especially bad for an "SUV". If it rode like that and was a performance sports-car it would be understandable, But not In a car like that.

    Dont know why anyone buys one. Rather get a Nice 5series. Has the same room, and pretty much the same offroad capability and Miles better on-road.!
    Stu.
    Current:
    06 Wrangler Sahara. 2" BDS and Bilstein lift, 1.25" RC Body Lift, 1" JKS MotorMount Lift, Zone Disconnects, BFG KM2 33's
    NO LOCKER NEEDED!!!
    KTM 1190 Adventure

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nigel
    Age
    55
    Posts
    13,530
    Thanked: 70

    Default

    I think the answer is simple, because there is not a single "real" off roader with a proper diesel engine!
    2 engines come to mind from the Toyota stable. 1HDFTE and the new V8 D4D

    Engine Code/Name 1HD-FTE

    Engine capacity (cc) 4164

    Engine type Diesel

    Forced induction system Turbo

    Engine description 6cyl/SOHC/4v

    Max Power 122kW @ 3400rpm

    Max Power 151kW @ 3400rpm
    (on LC100 with intercooler)

    Torque 380Nm @ 1400rpm

    Torque 430Nm @ 1800rpm
    (on LC100 with intercooler)

    Number of cylinders 6cyl

    Configuration In-line

    Valvetrain SOHC

    Valves per cylinder 4v

    Fuel system Direct injection EFI

    - Fuel type Diesel

    Bore x Stroke 94.0x100.0mm

    Compression Ratio 18.8:1

    Battery output 12V/65Ah

    Alternator output 110A

    Ignition system Compression

    D-4D V8 4.5
    Engine code 1VD-FTV
    Fuel type 48 Cetane diesel
    No. of cylinders, arrangement 8 cylinders, V type
    Valve mechanism 32-Valve DOHC
    Bore x stroke (mm) 86.0 x 96.0
    Displacement (cc) 4,461
    Compression ratio 16.8 : 1
    Fuel system Common rail type
    Emission level EURO IV
    Injection pressure (bar) 1800
    Max. power DIN hp/rpm (kW) 286@3600(210)
    Max. torque (Nm/rpm) 650@1600-2800
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    58
    Posts
    1,630
    Thanked: 6

    Default

    Hi Henri's,

    I'm not trying to step on any toes here but I think you just made my point for me. That 4.2l is a HUGE engine that does not even produce the same power as the standard 2.5, 2.7 and 3l engines from Volkswagen, Merc and BMW.

    The standard 3l from BM, gives 173kw and over 500nm. The twin turbo produces 210kw and 600nm.

    I agree that that L Cruiser is awesome if you can live with such a huge vehicle. The Beemer though will return 10l per 100 while cruising above the speed limit ( and I suspect that Cruiser is quite a bit heavier on sous).

    Regards.

    C

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nigel
    Age
    55
    Posts
    13,530
    Thanked: 70

    Default

    Yes it is, but will the beemer go 500,000km?
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    45
    Posts
    11,235
    Thanked: 24

    Default

    I think you're missing Henri's point...

    You're talking about smallish, highly strung motors that produce huge power and high torque at relatively high revs. These engines are designed for cruising, not offroading.

    I'd argue that the Toyota D4D and Mitsu DiD are MUCH more suitable for offroading than any of the motors you are referring to. In addition I don't think they'll last anywhere near as long...
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!


    Cape Town Weather and Imagery

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nigel
    Age
    55
    Posts
    13,530
    Thanked: 70

    Default

    Now I can't edit again.

    1HDFTE Torque 430Nm @ 1800rpm
    V8 Max. torque (Nm/rpm) 650@1600-2800

    Will the beemer do it at those revs?
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    58
    Posts
    1,630
    Thanked: 6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    I think you're missing Henri's point...

    You're talking about smallish, highly strung motors that produce huge power and high torque at relatively high revs. These engines are designed for cruising, not offroading.

    I'd argue that the Toyota D4D and Mitsu DiD are MUCH more suitable for offroading than any of the motors you are referring to. In addition I don't think they'll last anywhere near as long...

    I don't think so Simon. The diesel in my X5 runs at LOWER revs than the one in my Defender. It also has max revs fairly similar to most diesels (you'll really struggle to get it obver 4000 rpm, despite the red line on the rev counter starting at 5).

    These engines are not high revving, just high torque and yes that puts extra strain on them, but I've personally experienced several of them in the 300k kilo class.

    Let me make my position clear. I drove a 1500cc diesel golf 30 years ago. I owned one of the first turbo diesel 4x4's in the country (Isuzu 1994). If you look at double cabs and vehicles like Prado and Pajero they have engines in the 2.7 to 3.2l range and produce power in the 90 to 120kw range. That is about what a 2l modern diesel does (example, volkswagen and BMW or 2.2 from Merc).

    I believe that technology has moved but it hasn't found its way into 4x4's. I'd like to have that Land Cruiser 100 with the Touareg V10 engine under the hood. I'd like to have a modern diesel (anyone, VW, BMW or Mercedes and some others), under the hood of a serious 4x4. Something that will allow you to easily accellerate for overtaking even when you're towing a heavy off road trailer or a boat.

    No, I don't want to go and play sportscar with it, we all know what off-roaders ability in that regard is, I just related that example to reflect that diesel engines exist that can give you performance on a par with petrol engines.

    If it is not available, there are two ways of achieving it. Either "soup up" your 4x4's existing engine (which is why people like Steve's Auto clinic make such a roaring trade, it seems that lots of people go this route) or try to give a vehicle that has such an engine a bit more off road ability.

    Yes the second (that example of the guy modding his X5), may not be as practical or cheap, but it is an option to consider if the performance is more important than the off-road ability. You're never going to turn an X5 into a serious off roader, just as you're never going to turn a serious 4x4 into a high performance vehicle.

    At the end of the day, these are our toys, and who can criticise someone for enjoying his toy in a different way from some-one else?

    C

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oaklands
    Age
    55
    Posts
    8
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Hi folks. Am in the market for a 4x4 and need some advice - considering an X3. have a 3 year horizon and would ideally like to sell it at that time as I am likely to be moving to another part of the world. The boss (my wife) says no to big vehicles. We are looking to do a reasonable amount of game park driving and driving to Namibia and Botswana. The X3 (diesel) came to mind. Something in the 2003/4/5 range, preferably with under 100K km. Do you think this makes sense. Do not intend to do serious offroading but a reasonable amount of gravel and dirt roads. Your thoughts? live in Gauteng - any idea what I should expect to pay for something like that?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    58
    Posts
    1,630
    Thanked: 6

    Default

    Perfect long distance cruiser. There are several other's too. Don't attempt anything serious offroad though (especially anything needing clearance / ride height). Sand will be perfect just watch out for very high middle ridge (middelmannetjie)on a twin track, you will scrape the bottom all the way (especially with a load on).

    On cost, run a search on Autotrader's website.

    C

  19. #19
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Right now Malaysia
    Age
    60
    Posts
    14,382
    Thanked: 271

    Default He He

    Quote Originally Posted by C Africa View Post
    I don't think so Simon. The diesel in my X5 runs at LOWER revs than the one in my Defender. It also has max revs fairly similar to most diesels (you'll really struggle to get it obver 4000 rpm, despite the red line on the rev counter starting at 5).

    These engines are not high revving, just high torque and yes that puts extra strain on them, but I've personally experienced several of them in the 300k kilo class.

    Let me make my position clear. I drove a 1500cc diesel golf 30 years ago. I owned one of the first turbo diesel 4x4's in the country (Isuzu 1994). If you look at double cabs and vehicles like Prado and Pajero they have engines in the 2.7 to 3.2l range and produce power in the 90 to 120kw range. That is about what a 2l modern diesel does (example, volkswagen and BMW or 2.2 from Merc).

    I believe that technology has moved but it hasn't found its way into 4x4's. I'd like to have that Land Cruiser 100 with the Touareg V10 engine under the hood. I'd like to have a modern diesel (anyone, VW, BMW or Mercedes and some others), under the hood of a serious 4x4. Something that will allow you to easily accellerate for overtaking even when you're towing a heavy off road trailer or a boat.

    No, I don't want to go and play sportscar with it, we all know what off-roaders ability in that regard is, I just related that example to reflect that diesel engines exist that can give you performance on a par with petrol engines.

    If it is not available, there are two ways of achieving it. Either "soup up" your 4x4's existing engine (which is why people like Steve's Auto clinic make such a roaring trade, it seems that lots of people go this route) or try to give a vehicle that has such an engine a bit more off road ability.

    Yes the second (that example of the guy modding his X5), may not be as practical or cheap, but it is an option to consider if the performance is more important than the off-road ability. You're never going to turn an X5 into a serious off roader, just as you're never going to turn a serious 4x4 into a high performance vehicle.

    At the end of the day, these are our toys, and who can criticise someone for enjoying his toy in a different way from some-one else?

    C
    Or you could just buy a RRS Twin Turbo Diesel V8

    Flex, proper centre and axle diff lockers and adjustable air suspension, Low Range, Traction Control, Terrain Response etc, 200Kw and 650 Nm, Brembo Racing brakes, 20" low profile road tyres and lots more are all standard. Just add Diesel and a set of G4 challenge GY MTR's for the rough stuff.

    Will come in at a fraction of the cost of a modded X5.

    But as you have stated, have fun. Even deciding what mods to do, and then actually doing them is a big part of the thrill.

    This post is just one of the many mind tools that I use to justify to myself why I spent so much money on a car.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    58
    Posts
    1,630
    Thanked: 6

    Default

    You know Fluffy, you make my point for me. Why is that lovely V8 diesel not available in their other models? Can you imagine a Defender with that poke under the bonnet? And yes they can handle the power, they used to fit V8 petrol engines in the defenders.

    Many guys with the V6 diesel in the Disco's would probably also love that V8 instead. So what is the story, why are no serious off roader offered with a modern diesel engine?

    By the way, I looked at the RRS V8 diesel, but I just couldn't get the seat in a comfortable position. I adopt a very upright driving position (back problems cause no other position to work) and in the Rangie, that causes the headrest to push me into a crouched position. I just drove it around the bolck and by the time I got out I was already irritated beyond measure with the uncomfortable position.

    C

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How likely is your vehicle to be stolen?
    By mvcoller in forum The 4x4 Pub
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 2010/12/18, 03:10 PM
  2. BMW owners, take note
    By ELU in forum General 4x4 Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 2009/05/19, 07:37 AM
  3. BMW tops, Tata worst.
    By JeepOnly in forum General 4x4 Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 2007/06/24, 02:26 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •