Home Defence: Paintball gun?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question Home Defence: Paintball gun?

In light of how difficult it is to obtain a firearm license plus the trouble and hassle that go with it, I am seriously considering buying a paint-ball gun for home defense. I had incident no.3 last yesterday within a year and such a weapon would have been ideal. It won't kill or maim, but the offender will know you mean business.

Do any of you use a paint-ball gun for close range home defense, or used one in the past? Are rubber or solid plastic bullets available for them?

Share your opinion. Please note, this is not a discussion about firearms VS paint-ball guns. The difference is obvious.
    2005 Pajero 3.2D LWB Auto
    1999 Pajero 3.5V6 LWB Manual - Deceased

This site has all your answeres

http://www.paintballguns.co.za

some lethal stuff at their SECURITY & SELF DEFENCE SECTION

ENJOY
    Last edited by RANDYTD5; 2011/05/25 at 12:25 PM.

I won't go for it. In a SD situation, it is your life or theirs. Shooting someone with pepper balls while he is wielding a 9mm does not seem like a viable option. If every person in SA had a handgun and knew how to use it, crime rates will be much lower.

If your life is in danger, shoot to kill.
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4i 4x4
    Slightly battle scarred

Dead people cant testify - not a great attitude but real.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Marais View Post
    Shooting someone with pepper balls while he is wielding a 9mm does not seem like a viable option.
    Plus 100

The cases / times where you will be legally allowed to use a paintball gun is exactly the same as when you may use a real gun. Go through the schlep and get a real gun.

Al wat er sÍ is ek sal nie loop Leeu jag met 'n kettie nie. Gaan hom net kwaad maak!
    2011 Steed 5 2.5 TCi 4x4
    2010 Echo 4

A few shots in the face with this thing and he wont know where he is...

http://www.fortisgroup.co.za/gasguns/defender-mk3/

Uses glass, pepper and nylon pellets. Might just as well get one while you wait for a licensed gun... If you want one, but I find it strange that the houses that are attacked, they always ask for the safe and/or the guns...?? Where do the criminals get the info?? Corrupt SAPS officers selling this to them?

A few other suggestions... I live on a plot in Muldersdrif and do not have a firearm. I do however make sure our doors are ALWAYS locked, have flood lights on all sides of the house, guard dog that sleeps outside and one that is house trained that sleeps in our room. I also hide knives, baseball bats and other hand weapons at strategic places around the house. On top of that we have an electric fence, panic buttons and armed response. Still not enough though, I still lie awake for hours some nights if the dog outside starts barking...
    2011 Isuzu KB300LX 4x4 E/C
    2012 Hyundai i20 Glide SWAMBO

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. Thatís why people with no sense of humor have such a strong sense of self-importance.

Default Paintball Gun

I have a paintball gun that is loaded with a combination of solid plastic balls & pepper balls, at approx. 15 meters it shreads a beer can in two.

I also tested it on a 20l paint can, it leaves a +- 10mm indentation, this should sureley stop anayone in his tracks as the rate of fire can vary from 5 to 15 rounds a second.

And I agree with some comments on this post and wont argue with a 9mm.
    But granted a opportunity.......

Getting a Paintball gun until your real gun arrives is fine.

But get the long and tedious process started as soon as possible on a real weapon.
    Gideon Naudť
    Ssangyong Korando 2.9 TD 2006
    Fuelly

Ok, so maybe we have to discuss the differences after all. Here is my take:

*I do not want to carry a fire arm on my person. It's very uncomfortable.
    *Also carrying a fire arm makes you a target these days, as guys attack you for the weapon. The same goes for having one in your house. People (kitchen and garden engineers) talk and pretty soon they know you have one at home. Plus, I reckon weapon owner's details are not so safe at SAPS as we would all like to believe.
    *Yes, dead people can't talk that is true, but it can cause a lot of trouble for you. Here your conscious and the circumstances dictate the outcome.
    *Then there is the safekeeping. When you carry it with you, there is always the hassle where to keep it on holidays, during events etc etc. Kids...
    *If it gets stolen, there is some serious explaining to do.

We have a guy in our community that shot dead his own daughter a few years ago by mistake, for thinking she was a thieve trying to steal a car at their home. Yes, maybe the exception, but it has lasting effects.

Guns have their place, I am still deciding where that is exactly.

seems a viable option... obviously not in comparison to a gun, but as Werner mentions, he (and probably most of us) have various methods of protection that we employ in our homes, so what is the harm of another slightly more "persuasive" one.

However, the only benefit as I see it, would be the circumstance when you are inside and they are outside. The PBguns dont make a sound anything like a real gun so you are not necessarily giving someone a fright that would make them return fire... the first thing they will realize is that they are being showered with very sore little balls that make them vomit and cry... which would spark an immediate "RUN" command in their heads...

Sure, MacJohn, if you have made up your mind about not wanting a firearm, I suppose you'll have to make a plan to at least make the home safer.

Sure, get a paintball gun. But make double sure that you are able to be on the offensice then, by putting in early warning systems (beams etc), so that you are not reaching for the paintball gun while they are already taking aim.

Store a few decent knives around the house, and always have one within easy reach. Get proper training with it, you'll be amazed at what the AMOK! guys can do with a knife.

Invest in proper close combat training.

You don't need a gun to be able to defend yourself. A gun just levels the playing field.
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4i 4x4
    Slightly battle scarred

Got feedback from the supplier of the Mk3 Gas gun - "hy average so 415 voet per sekonde. Die solid balle breek 'n kar se windskerm - dit behoort 'n aanduiding te wees van impak."

Dink ek gaan maar ene koop!

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. Thatís why people with no sense of humor have such a strong sense of self-importance.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Marais View Post
    ... I suppose you'll have to make a plan to at least make the home safer.
    Sure, get a paintball gun. But make double sure that you are able to be on the offensice then, by putting in early warning systems (beams etc), so that you are not reaching for the paintball gun while they are already taking aim.
    Store a few decent knives around the house, and always have one within easy reach. Get proper training with it, you'll be amazed at what the AMOK! guys can do with a knife.
    Invest in proper close combat training.
    You don't need a gun to be able to defend yourself. A gun just levels the playing field.
    Jip, after incident no.1 I got alarms and two dogs. They entered the house while I was sleeping and by the looks of it were looking for guns - only took a cellphone.

I was able to "introduce" myself in person to the trespasser during incident no.2. It would just have been lekker to clip him from the fence with one of these paint-ball guns as I saw him observing me.

Incident no.3 was a guy molesting his "wife" in front of my yard and then going all loco on me when I expressed my concern.

In 2 out of 3 cases the paint-ball gun would have sufficed. The third one was purely a lack of early warning systems. Now, if I can only get them to stand still over my table vice.......

Guys this has been debated to death on gunsite where there are legal egal's involved as well.

Bottom line is its against the law to use a paint bal gun for self defense.

Its against the LAW to protect any property with lethal force
    so even if you have a real gun you are not allowed to protect property with it.

So the guy who shot he's daughter because he mistaken her for a car thieve broke the LAW in anycase and will be delacred unfit to posess a fire arm again in he's life.

ONLY your life can be protected not your car , not your house or TV.

The guys promoting paint ball guns for self defence will not come to your rescue when you been jailed that I can bet you.

Should you fire a paint ball gun at someone be it a criminal armed or not
    and you hit him in the eye , you will be paying him a salary for the rest of your life.

I have three paint balls guns , but when It comes to my own and family's safety I much rather use my Glock have done so in the past and wil do so in the future.
    For eveything ells I have house hold insurence

SAD INDEED but its the LAW in SA

I UNDERSTAN NOT WANTING A GUN, IF NOTHING ELSE, FOR THE ADDED RESPONSIBILITIES.
    But do not think a pb gun will suffice. Think of how many attacks still continue after a fair hit from a 9mm or 38
    You did say home defence, so whats the carrying objection? I manage to carry a Colt model 70 in a hideaway belt holster at home and my family don't notice. A professor friend carries one every day to campus and his very quick-off-the-mark students don't notice. They did notice his swiss army knife in a belt heath and complained he wa carrying a "weapon'. So now he puts it in his pocket!
    I seriously say, get a gun, go through the rigmarole. In principle, the relicensing is a good thing, its just the implementation and prejudices and incompetence that buggers it up
    Sephulamthetho (Cory Voigt)
    'The cut worm forgives the plough'

SORRY. I might get this thread deleted, but Charlie1800, what is insurance gonna help if a guy rapes your wife while his buddy holds a gun in your ribs. Didn't happen to me but i received a call once hearing that there is someone in my house with my pregnant wife. He didn't steal anything, but "flirted" with my wife. Luckily nothing happened. She sorted him out with a stun batten and he fled. Unfortunately! Would have loved to "educate" him a little.

Very interesting read regarding the legalities of owning and using a PB gun in self defence.

http://www.fortisgroup.co.za/law/
    Last edited by WernerDV; 2011/05/25 at 03:30 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by LOUWA View Post
    SORRY. I might get this thread deleted, but Charlie1800, what is insurance gonna help if a guy rapes your wife while his buddy holds a gun in your ribs. Didn't happen to me but i received a call once hearing that there is someone in my house with my pregnant wife. He didn't steal anything, but "flirted" with my wife. Luckily nothing happened. She sorted him out with a stun batten and he fled. Unfortunately! Would have loved to "educate" him a little.
    Louwa maybe you read charlie's post to fast.
    The insurance is for the household items and your Swambo is not one of those now is she?
    The real gun is to protect your wife and children and of course your own life if threatened.

Another question, what is the difference between a PB gun and a stun batten? Is the point of haveing it not the same?
    Chris

"Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing" Helen Keller

2005 LandRover Defender 110 D/C TD5
    1977 LandRover Series III 109" Project

chairman@4x4actiongroup.co.za
    www.4x4actiongroup.co.za

To bring the conversation back to the original question...

As a professional paintballer, I can say that a paintball MARKER (it's not a gun) is not ideal for self defense.

Firstly, in order to ensure it's always at the ready, you need to keep it gassed up and loaded with balls.

Whether you use gas (CO2) or compressed air, it will eventually leak out in little bits and may let you down when you need it most.

The balls - with the exception of nylon balls and solids - are also not weather proof and if kept in the hopper or chamber for extended periods of time will deteriorate and break in the barrel when you do eventually shoot.

ALL paintball markers jam regularly and need constant lubrication and servicing (even when not in use).

They're also not very accurate, so if you think that you'll hit an assailant first time in the face when you're stressed out and panicking because you're being attacked, think again.

Even my R5,000, 25 ball per second, upgraded to the extreme marker is more accurate than most, but still misses from time to time, even when I am unleashing "ropes" of paint.

Paintball markers are great for playing paintball. Even the markers that are sold as "self defense" weapons are not reliable and you'll end up spending a lot of money on something that may disappoint you.

Just my 2c
    Land Rover Defender 110 2.8i H/T

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast