Mitsubishi Outlander

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Mitsubishi Outlander

Does anyone have any experience with the Outlander or heard any bad or good things? For 2 weeks I have searched the web, read dozens of reviews, been to various forums but could not find anything negative about the vehicle.
    Andre Botha
    2006 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB, Gomad bash plates. Monroe Adventure shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with the Outlander or heard any bad or good things? For 2 weeks I have searched the web, read dozens of reviews, been to various forums but could not find anything negative about the vehicle.
    A while ago in one of the mags they had a shootout between the Outlander and the Forester. The complained about the interior "build" quality. Overall they rated it well but the Forester won in pretty much all departments

Unfortunately I've only had personal experience with the Forester
    Last edited by SimonB; 2007/03/02 at 04:13 PM.
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Cape Town Weather and Imagery

I hope you know Mitsubishi will launch the new Outlander next month. Totally new platform, engine and 4x4 system. Also a 7 seater now. Closer to a Freelander than a Forester.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mitsubishi_outlander_2006_02_b.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	2900   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01_L.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	2901   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07_L.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	2902   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08_L.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	2903   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_outlander1.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	2904   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11_L.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	2905  
    Partner Adventure 4X4 Academy
    http://www.4x4training.co.za

Two guys at my previous company had the Forrester and Outlander.....and I would also rate non-turbo Forrester higher than the Outlander. The turbo forrester is in a different league!
    That new Outlander looks interesting

I hope you know Mitsubishi will launch the new Outlander next month. Totally new platform, engine and 4x4 system. Also a 7 seater now. Closer to a Freelander than a Forester
    That is exactly why I am asking. Very good deals can now be had on current Outlanders. Also their used prices are much lower than Foresters.
    Let me shortly explain why.
    I have to have certain things done in and around the house. The costs of my diesel Jeep at the moment prevents this. So I am sort of forced to go softroading for about a year, that is why I am looking for a vehicle that still has part of service plan and warranty left. And no, I am not considering a platkar.
    Then my son will take over the outlander or whatever I buy and I will trade his (actually also mine) Corsa on a low km Pajero 3.8 LWB.
    Anyway going to see Mitsubishi Motors in Paarden Eiland tomorrow.
    Andre Botha

4ePajero Guest

What are the prices for
    • Outlander
    • Freelander
    • Forester
    (Just so that we compare apples with apples).

My gut feel says that most of the Forester models are more expensive than the Outlander.

JeepOnly Guest

Andre. Al wat dus oorbly om vir jou te se is dat jy is 'n VERAAIER van alles waarvoor Jeep gestaan het.

My Neef het 'n Outlander al vir so drie jaar, en hy geniet die kar baie. Hy het geen klagtes oor betroubaarheid nie, maar het wel al iets genoem van wens dit het bietjie meer krag gehad ? Hy is ook nie juis 'n ernstige "Offroader" nie, so die kar is perfek vir hom wat bergfiets mal is, en ry dus wel heelwat grondpad om by plekke uit te kom, en in die week drink hy hard so die kar klim ook gereeld sypaadjies en sulke dinge.

My gut feel says that most of the Forester models are more expensive than the Outlander.
    Gerhard that is exactly what came to light in research, although a I will be the first to admid that the Forester is the better quality vehicle. I am not considering the Freelander as I have decided to buy only Jap or Korean vehicles in future. NB I am not saying anything bad about the Freelander, as they say variety is the spice of life.
    JeepOnly, as jy my as n verraaier wil beskou pla dit my nie. Ek het al baie voertuie besit, die Jeep is tans my 18de. Saam met die Renault Alconi, Monza Gsi, Isuzu Trooper is die Jeep van die voertuie wat my die meeste plesier gegee het, Die GC se vermoens is darem maar net in n klas van sy eie.
    Andre Botha

Gerhard that is exactly what came to light in research, although a I will be the first to admid that the Forester is the better quality vehicle. I am not considering the Freelander as I have decided to buy only Jap or Korean vehicles in future. NB I am not saying anything bad about the Freelander, as they say variety is the spice of life.
    Andre...

As i said i have had no experience personally with the Outlander, but I know a couple of people have driven both, and while the Forester is a little more expensive, it seems you get what you pay for! Those boxer engines are awesome, and because of them the handling is supposedly way better...

My BIL took his Forester to the Richtersveld with us and it handled everything we did (except for going along the river when we left it behind). There was also a pic somewhere with a guy driving his Forester through mega water in the Kalahari and it was fine.

The only Outlander model is the 2,4 Auto (currently) and is R269k while there is a range of Foresters between R245k for the X and the R335k for the XT Premium, but you really need to compare like with like....

BTW, the Forester doesn't belong in this section of the forum because it has a Low Range Box whereas the Outlander doesn't...

My only (albeit mild) concern with a Forester is where the dealerships would be concerned. DC certainly not great, but I have heard varying opinions on Subaru.

That being said if someone gave me a choice between the Lancer Evo 9 and the WRX, the Mitsu wins hands down

BTW, I apologise if you think I hijacked the thread a bit, because your original post was asking about the Outlander specifically...
    Last edited by SimonB; 2007/03/02 at 04:26 PM.
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

JeepOnly Guest

JeepOnly, as jy my as n verraaier wil beskou pla dit my nie. Ek het al baie voertuie besit, die Jeep is tans my 18de. Saam met die Renault Alconi, Monza Gsi, Isuzu Trooper is die Jeep van die voertuie wat my die meeste plesier gegee het, Die GC se vermoens is darem maar net in n klas van sy eie.

Toemaar, ek spot net met jou oor die Jeep ding. Ek glo in elk geval vas dat die beste voertuig wat 'n man kan besit is een wat klaar betaal is.

[QUOTE]
    BTW, the Forester doesn't belong in this section of the forum because it has a Low Range Box whereas the Outlander doesn't...

[/QUOTE

Only the manual Forester has a low range box. Went to test drive an Outlander on Saturday. What a very nice vehicle! Have driven the normal Lancer before but this is a completely different vehicle.
    The bad or good news is that they only offer me R70k for my Jeep. They must be out of their minds. So the Jeep stays, will be taken over by my son in Nelspruit area. Will be going there on holiday in April/May and come back with his Corsa to sell privately or trade it in on a Terracan. More about my visit to the Hyunday dealer in a different thread.
    Andre Botha

Eish! Sien nou eers hierdie thread...Van hierdie kant af so bietjie navorsing gedoen vir pa - die soek 'n nuwe kar en dink wragtag daaraan om 'n 1600 POLO Outomaties(!) te koop!

My slotsom: Forester is die beter een van die twee. Beskikbaar in outomatiese ratkas EN HR. Albei het laestrek ratkas. Grondvry hoogte v/d Forester is beter. Die enjins is basies dieselfde met dieselfde werkverrigting. Forester is eintlik 'n raps goedkoper as die Outlander...

Sal iemand asseblief met my gryse vader praat dat hy nie so 'n vreeslike dom ding doen nie!
    John van Dyk
    Land Cruiser VX 4.7l V8 1999
    Honda FRV 2008 - dogter se ryding nou
    Mercedes Benz E 200K 2005 ma se ryding...niks meer besem nie!
    Isuzu 2.8 DT - 1998 dcab bakkie (te koop)
    Kia Sportage 2007 2.0 CRDI -seun se ryding
    Honda CRV 2005 -2.0i VTEC seun se ryding...

Does anyone have any experience with the Outlander or heard any bad or good things?
    Fuel consumption. I had one for three days as a demo. Damm, the one I had was thirsty. Other than that, I found her slightly underpowered, unless one really put one's foot down, hence probably the high consumption?

MCW
    "A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster "
    By Jeremy Clarkson (I think)

BigRed I came to the same conclusion. Found the Car road test and their fuel consumption index was something like 13.8L/100km. But also keep in mind that it is no lightweight vehicle. 1600+kg as tested by Car magazine, that is the weight of some dc bakkies.
    Andre Botha

The bad or good news is that they only offer me R70k for my Jeep. They must be out of their minds.

They are out of their minds. My Jeep was insured at R150k retail in Dec.

Outlander is a looker and the Turbo Forester was until recently still the fastest stock 4x4 rocket around. In the lower 7sec bracket with a lowrange

A client also reported the consumption inn the 13l/110km bracket.
    A piece of scrap 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited 3.1 TD that never seems to stop breaking!
    Don't expect Merc to ever give an answer!
    Jeep forgot to include a couple of other things in the service schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Winston View Post

They are out of their minds. My Jeep was insured at R150k retail in Dec.

Outlander is a looker and the Turbo Forester was until recently still the fastest stock 4x4 rocket around. In the lower 7sec bracket with a lowrange

A client also reported the consumption inn the 13l/110km bracket.
    For the Forester? That must be going flat out... My brother in law gets between 8 and 9l/100....
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

The Turbo charged Foresters are quite thirsty. They also do not have low range.
    The lower models do, but it's only something like 20% reduction, which is enough to get the horse box moving.
    Vic

2012 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15's, Steel undies, lifted and locked.
    2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara A/T
    1984 Suzuki SJ410 - 245/75R15 Muddies, Nissan A15 Motor, OME's
    EX 2008 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15C's, Mounty's Rock Sliders, tow-bar
    EX 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ OME's 30x9.5 A/Ts

Quote Originally Posted by saxj View Post
    They also do not have low range.
    The lower models do,
    Bit confussed, but then again I was refering to the CAR test on the manual. They do make mistakes sometimes or I need to re-referance the filing a bit
    A piece of scrap 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited 3.1 TD that never seems to stop breaking!
    Don't expect Merc to ever give an answer!
    Jeep forgot to include a couple of other things in the service schedule.

From www.subaru.co.za (Forester Datasheet)

X, XS, XS Premium - Low Range(+- 21% reduction)
    XT, XT Premium and Automatic - no Low Range
    Vic

2012 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15's, Steel undies, lifted and locked.
    2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara A/T
    1984 Suzuki SJ410 - 245/75R15 Muddies, Nissan A15 Motor, OME's
    EX 2008 Suzuki Jimny - 215R15C's, Mounty's Rock Sliders, tow-bar
    EX 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ OME's 30x9.5 A/Ts

4ePajero Guest

Just to bring this Subaru Forester thread back to what the original post was about!

I saw the new version of the Outlander yesterday (here in East London we see most of the DC products long before they are launched).
    I never liked the looks of the old one, but the new one is a stunner! Looks very 4x4-like (not "station-wagon"-like).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast