Prolong engine treatment?

View Poll Results: Do you use ENGINE treatments such as Prolong or not?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES i do!

17 22.67%
  • NO, are you crazy|!

58 77.33%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Prolong engine treatment?

Hey,

Has anyone used Prolong before? Is it worth it?

I’ve always been very sceptical about these kinds of things, but never actually tried for myself, or asked anyone that has used it…. Well cause I don’t know anyone that's used it?

I saw it in the shop the other day, and could remember the Verika.... I mean Verimark TV adds, and was quite surprised that it's still going, is there perhaps something to this engine treatment?

Anyone?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Hyades; 2011/01/26 at 09:12 AM.

Chris
    Don't blow it, this is the only planet with beer!
    HYADES

The same question as 2stroke in your diesel, many for and many against. Mind you the same as your power/balance bracelets, if the motor siezes its something else's fault if it doesn't its Prolongs fault
    2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 Auto (7.7km/l)
    2008 Honda Civic 2.2TDCi (15.8km/l)
    Ex 2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4 Auto (7.0km/l)
    Ex Range Rover 4.6 HSE (7.5km/l)
    Ex Honda CRV 2.2 TDCi (12.5km/l)
    Ex Ford Courier 3.0 DC 4x4 (7.5km/l)
    Avis Toyota Yaris 4x4,F1 GP, Drift champ (eish)
    http://photo.net/photos/Adriaan

Polls never lie !
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Hyundai Getz and Atos and Polo.

I will never use it, IMHO Bardahls oil treatment is the best there is!
    TOYOTA PRADO 1998 V6,3.4l
    TOYOTA HILUX 2003 2.7
    SWAMBO: MAZDA 2 2008

Hmmm....

Sofar it's "NO" Where are the people that have used it? Common, write some comments, don't be shy!

VOTE VOTE VOTE!

Chris
    HYADES

Let google be your friend, if it was as good as they say, blah blah.

What people do not realise, and engine has a life span... that is it.... Petrol and Diesel kills an engine, prolong, is snake urine, rather save your money and go buy a bottle of Rum...

Remember in the old days, 100 000 miles and nobody would touch that second hand car with a barge pole, now you have little tazzes running to 3 or 400 000 KM... and sell for good money, my merc has almost 420 000 Km on and runs fine... never had prolong in...
    Mercedes W123 300D, runs on Mother Natures Goodness.
    Powered by the Sun, the Rain and the Earth.
    Have now covered 196 000Km on veg oil. Compression is down, so after 519 000Km, doing an engine swop.
    Oh, and an Isuzu 280DT.

Only use it if you plan to drive your Viper in the desert without oil!
    Hendrik
    2.5HP Triton

I agree, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I've seen a diff where the guy used prolong and the oil turned to grease/sludge. I wouldn't use it to lube my son's bike chain.

I was first introduced to Prolong in the early 1990's when it became available in SA and was fortunate to attend a live demo on a trailer mounted engine and since then used it on my vehicles once the speedo hit 15 000 k's. The only vehicle that I do not use it on is my bike because of the wet clutch.
    When I lived in Zambia I had a Pajero 2500 TD SWB (used) which after 2 years when I sold it on returning home turned out to be the only one that had not broken down due to engine failure.
    Maybe I was just lucky, but I'll stick to Prolong.

Quote Originally Posted by mnrvermaak View Post
    Only use it if you plan to drive your Viper in the desert without oil!
    BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Or if you want to throw sand in your valves!

LoL, I remember the TV ad very well!

Funny stuff.

Chris
    HYADES

I have used it and it did shut up a whining bearing on the cam shaft of a 2300 Chevair engine - BUT it also left a sticky residue in the engine by the time it was due for the next service.
    I poured it into the engine while it was running and you could actually hear the whine go away, but after finding the goo it caused inside the engine I vowed never to use it or anything like it again.

4.7lt V8 Grand Cherokee LTD (WJ)

082 975 9746
    thysleroux(at)mweb.co.za
    RooiTjiep OVERHAULED - Forum Style

Imagine waking up in the morning and having only that which you Thanked the Lord for, before going to sleep, left in your life !!

I have being working with engines since pa fell off the bus. I have found prolong to be the best oil additive. Looking at the inside of engines with other aditives, I found a lot of gunk build up. I have not found that with prolong. Granted I would not use it on a new engine. But with an old one thats making some rattles and noises , and there is no money for a rebuild, Put prolong in it , it goes quiet and runs for ever. That's just my Experience with the product.
    Eric

2012 Range Rover Evoque
    2009 Defender SVX 60th Limited
    1997 Discovery V8 ES (Sold)
    2009 Freelander 2 TD4 (Sold)
    2012 Spite Tourer SP
    2010 Jugens XT140 (Sold)
    2008 Jugens Xplorer (Sold)

Here I will have to tread very carefully as it could get rather slippy

A few years ago, we manufactured the Prolong product range on behalf of Prolong. This was done at our factory in Krugersdorp and we employed a tribologist (50 years’ experience in the lubrication industry) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribology) for quality control, formulae etc. Lubrication is an exact science nowadays and not some hit and miss industry.

Does Prolong work? The short answer is, in general, yes it does. The problem with additives like this is that the chemicals used are no longer that environmentally friendly or is carcogenic and that has led to the banning of such products in many countries.

There will always be pro’s and con’s to any product or service no matter how good it is. We used the product in our fleet and never did we have any engine or gearbox failures. I will try and get the tribologist to explain to me in simple terms how it works plus the benefits/downfalls and then post it here.
    "Man is still the greatest miracle and the greatest problem on this earth"

Used it in 2,4d and definately was a difference in cold starting but also did find sludge in sump so have stopped using it.

Morning.....
    Put prolong into my 97 Colt 3000 V6 Petrol with 390 000 km's on the clock, I claim temporary insanity.. The vehicle was never smoking untill that "stuff" went into my engine... it has cost replacing valve stem seals and guides. So I am against it totally.

I suggest using Prolong for anything else but as a additive for oil.

If you are not living life on the edge you are taking up too much space

I have used in in my Bantam many many years ago. Drove from Kroonstad to Bloem without a sump plug, don't ask me where it went. But being young a naive, (now I ' just young :-) )
    I only noticed the engine and oil light when I stopped in Bloem. Checked the oild and there was absolutely 0 in there. Had her checked by Ford, oil was refilled and that was that, no damage or anything.

Had the little bonzai bakkie for another 120k km before I sold it. Never had issue!!

So yes it works.
    My wife is simple, in a complicated way.

2003 Defender D/C Td5
    1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 XJ (broken)

Quote Originally Posted by Hyades View Post
    Hmmm....

Sofar it's "NO" Where are the people that have used it? Common, write some comments, don't be shy!

VOTE VOTE VOTE!
    OK here goes, I had a 92" Toyota Corolla GLI Twincam, the 96kw one. I used prolong religiously with every oil change. One day I had a dragrace (robot - robot ,my very younger years) with a 325td BMW. I reved the snot out of that little 1.6. The next day when I drove it again, I heard a bigend knock. Checked the oil and it was a bit low, so while revving so high it probably ran all the oil into head. So no, prolong did not save my engine as advertised on TV.

Snake oil I tell ya. Blind lies. Pay anyone enough and they will tell you it works.

If you abuse an engine it will pop some time or other so you can only say it did not save the engine from abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by chrismcc View Post
    Morning.....
    Put prolong into my 97 Colt 3000 V6 Petrol with 390 000 km's on the clock, I claim temporary insanity.. The vehicle was never smoking untill that "stuff" went into my engine... it has cost replacing valve stem seals and guides. So I am against it totally.

I suggest using Prolong for anything else but as a additive for oil.
    There is your problem Chris, too high milage - it's not an engine rebuild in a bottle.

Supposed to put it in once an engine has "run in" say 15-20,000kms - having said that I've pulled a head off a 5 cyl Audi motor at 128,000kms and still seen the hone marks!

Bought a Motor Guzzi bike ( yes yes I know - but I'm addicted to them ) that the previous owner had dosed with "Slick 50", went to the Buff rally in Bloem 750kms away and heard a slight tapping noise at +- 6000rpm, got back and removed the sump and it was full of B/E bearing pieces .

I measured the crankshaft journal, it was fine, no damage and not out of round. Just put in another set of B/E bearings and did another 40,000kms before I sold it. Was still going strong BUT it did stuff up the oil seals and leaked everywhere (just like Landies)

Also used it once on a datsun motor with high milage and it also leaked oil everywhere and boy did it smoke ofter that.

Haven't used it since, just do regular oil changes

Swambo: '11 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDI Platkar: Renault Modus Moi
    '98 Patrol GRX 4500 with a couple of mods Platcar BMW Z3 2.8i
    '06 BMW GS 1200
    '81 Motor Guzzi LeMans Mk 3
    Eurard on FAC : Beach driving is NOT driving dunes like those mad hatters of the southern tip side. They take a dune pick it up and put it down in another place.

As the following test was not sanctioned by the SA Civil Aviation Authority, it never therefore actually happened

Whilst working on piston engined, turbo charged helicopters we were asked by one of the owners to do a "test" on Prolong.

The standard helicopter was pushed out of the hanger, the tank was filled to the brim, and it was started up. Once the engine etc was up to operating temp, it was pulled into the hover. The boost guage reading was carefully noted.

The heli was then landed, and Prolong was poured into the engine and gearbox. The tank was topped up to full again, and the helicopter was again started and pulled into a hover.

The environmental conditions had remained the same during both tests (only about 10 mins apart) Temp, QNH, etc. The helicopter weighed EXACTLY the same (fuel topped up) except for the added weight of the Prolong now in the engine and gearbox.

The boost pressure now required to hover the heli came down significantly. This clearly pointed to reduced friction in both the engine and the gearbox. When that same gearbox underwent a scheduled overhaul and inspection about 1000 flying hours later, the wear patterns and tolerances were markedly reduced from what we were used to seeing.

No sludge or gunge buildup was found in either the engine or the gearbox.

I repeat, this test was was not sanctioned by the SA CAA, so therefore it never happened... *

*(just to protect the innocent involved! )
    I am strong, because I've been weak.
    I am fearless, because I've been afraid.
    I am wise, because I've been foolish.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast