Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD Injector questions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 2.7 CRD Injector questions

I need some advice please. My no. 1 injector is leaking and will need to be replaced a.s.a.p. Could someone please tell me firstly, is this a job that I can do by myself, removing the injector and putting in the new one or will there be problems with the ECU etc?

Secondly, would a second hand (working injector) be a good idea or do I need to buy new, then, does anybody know how much currently for 1 injector and where?

Lastly, can they be serviced or fixed as I am under the impression that they can't?

Would appreciate any and all help in this regard.

Phil

HOwzit Phil

Im not sure if its a diy job. Maybe if its just no 1 it could be but I know that to get to injector no 5 you either need to drop the motor or make a whole in the firewall or in my case they did both !

As far as the injectors go I would say don't go for a second hand injector, unless you can have it tested to verify that its not leaking and working within spec.

I also heard / read that the injectors cannot be refurbished but I had all the injectors on my jeep done by the Bosch agents on Main Reef Road in jhb.

They refurbished the injectors by installing new tips on them at a fraction of the cost of new injectors.

This was done about 6 months ago and my jeep is really running very nicely.

The bosch guys also showed me the tests they did on the injectors before and after and they have all the tools to do bench tests.

If you are in Jhb - J&M Diesel (Bosch Agents) 011 474 8955 speak to Hannes Jnr/Snr.

Cheers
    Chris
    Disco 4 SDV6 SE
    1976 Series 3 109 PUP 2.6l
    BMW R 1200 GS

Firstly - dont try mixing injectors - they have a value stamped on them that has to match and the settings in the ECU are set according to the values on the injectors. Can only do if you got the DRBIII scantool.

Second ... Any Bosch diesel service garage can overhaul the injectors - they fit new nozzles and then pressure test them.

In what way is the injector leaking = ie. how do you know its leaking... what does the "leaking" bit mean? If its just the copper gasket sealing the injector and the combustion chamber then thats an easy DIY fix - especcially if it is No:1 unit = I did this myself...

Just remeber that the bolts securing the injectors are stretch bolts and are for one use only - need to replace the bolt. The tightening sequence is also very specific for this bolt.

Thanks for the replies

Jeepers, it is leaking like puddle of diesel in injector seat leaking, starting "black death" leaking, so where on the injector the leak is I don't know, will probably have to get Bosch Diesel Centre to look at it

Chris

What did the service of the injectors cost you if I may ask?

Hi Phil

Flip I cant remember exactly I will need to go and pull out that invoice but the whole job was about R7000.00 all in.

That was all the labour, parts, vat, calibration etc etc.

I see you in Pietersburg, but it may be worth giving Hannes a call. I found them to be helpfull and they did a good job and I think (hope) it was reasonable. They know the jeep diesel motors well.

Let me know if you need an accurate cost on each injector, I will go and pull out that invoice quickly.

Cheers
    Chris
    Disco 4 SDV6 SE
    BMW R 1200 GS

Hi Chris, thanks a lot, if it is at all possible, I would love the exact costs, I will take my vehicle to Pietersburg Diesel Hydraulic (Bosch) as they have given me good service on my Jeep and they also seem to be pretty clued up on the 2.7 Merc motor.

If they are clueless or unreasonable (compared to the prices you paid), I can always arrange to try and get to JHB to have it done there.

Thanks a lot.

Ok

I phoned them quickly and they say approximately R 1000.00 ex VAT per injector to refurbish one. Which I think is reasonable

So for 5 it will R 5000.00 ex VAT and he says if he does the work it will be approximately R 7500.00 / R 8000.00 ex VAT.

Please note this is just a ball park figure and I would suggest that you just phone them and discuss with them directly. I have no interest in their business but can confirm that I was happy with the service received from them.

I hope this helps you.

Cheers
    Chris
    Disco 4 SDV6 SE
    BMW R 1200 GS

Sorry just to clarify when I say if he does the work I mean that you take the jeep to them and they take everything apart etc !

Cheers
    Chris
    Disco 4 SDV6 SE
    BMW R 1200 GS

Thanks Chris, I understand it as such. Currently it seems that only the first (infront) injector is giving troubles, but I will have them run a diagnostic on the rest, hopefully they will all be fine for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepers101 View Post
    Firstly - dont try mixing injectors - they have a value stamped on them that has to match and the settings in the ECU are set according to the values on the injectors. Can only do if you got the DRBIII scantool.
    Second ... Any Bosch diesel service garage can overhaul the injectors - they fit new nozzles and then pressure test them.
    In what way is the injector leaking = ie. how do you know its leaking... what does the "leaking" bit mean? If its just the copper gasket sealing the injector and the combustion chamber then thats an easy DIY fix - especcially if it is No:1 unit = I did this myself...
    Just remeber that the bolts securing the injectors are stretch bolts and are for one use only - need to replace the bolt. The tightening sequence is also very specific for this bolt.
    I agree there is a good chance that the copper washer is leaking. I did mine on my Cherokee as well. I would check this as a first measure.

Agree with kevjones, they should last about 250000km's have it checked first!

from JEG diesel - Bosch Cape Town = 03/2010

nozzles each 950.46 x 5, seal kits 395.60, balls 75.00, inlet washers 74.00, base washers 91.20, seals 88.32, labour repair injectors 2900.00, labour remove/refit injectors 2320.00, diagnostic test 310.00, compression test 350.00, sundries 145.00

grand total = 10550.96 + 1477.13 VAT gave a total of 12028.09

to have my '02 Jeep 2.7 CRD with 189980 klm's injectors overhauled.

Thanks for the feedback on this, will have the copper washer checked out first and keep you updated.

IMHO - if you are taking the risk of removing the injectors, replace them with new injectors, new copper seals and very important new hold down bolts. I am just saying that because I had SAC "refurbish" my injectors, that was April last year, I have spent R63 000 since and I still don't have a running engine. If whoever is doing the refurbishment does not know what they are doing the injectors will be buggered. Then if they put it back using the same bolts, the stretched TTY bolts will turn into the water jackets below and that will cost you a new cylinder head, or as lucky as I was, haha, some of the black lava crud made its way in between a valve and it seat and when they (that either be SAC or the stealers - impossible to prove which) started the engine the valve got imbedded in the piston and there went my engine. Anyway had the engine reconditioned within a month, that reconditioned engine lasted 1 week, then sent up the whole vehicle up to the guys in Krugersdorp who rebuilt the engine (at least they paid half the transport cost). That was 18 August, its still there, being rebuild, I am assured as I am every week, that it will be finnished this week....

Wherever you have whatever done, make sure that you are using a centre that subscribes themselves to the RMI, that way you won't have to go through the whole, lengthy and expensive court route if the guys make a stuff up.

Good luck!
    John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."

76 Jeep CJ6 (283 Chevy V8 3" Lift)
    02 Jeep WJ V8 4.7 HO Overland (*Sold*)
    03 Jeep WJ CRD 2.7 Laredo (*Sold*)
    09 Land Rover Discovery 3 SE TDV6
    07 Toyota RAV4 2.0 VX (SWAMBO)

Eisch Lucky Im sorry to hear about your hassles and that story is enough to give me some serious nightmares !!!

Flip good luck I hope they get this resolved soon !

Cheers
    Chris
    Disco 4 SDV6 SE
    BMW R 1200 GS

Thanks Lucky

I followed that thread of yours and learned a few lessons there, sorry that they had to be at your expense, but I will be very careful of how I go about having people work on my vehicle in the future, even so much as telling them up front what not to do, making sure they are RMI and not taking away a vehicle from them if I am not completely satisfied with the work they did.

Again, sorry for your misfortune, but thanks for sharing with the rest of us so we can try to avoid the same thing happening.

Regards
    Phil

Thats why I love this forum, we can learn so much from each other and there is always support. My GC 4.7 is getting delivered tommorow, won't be able to sleep tonight
    John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."

76 Jeep CJ6 (283 Chevy V8 3" Lift)
    02 Jeep WJ V8 4.7 HO Overland (*Sold*)
    03 Jeep WJ CRD 2.7 Laredo (*Sold*)
    09 Land Rover Discovery 3 SE TDV6
    07 Toyota RAV4 2.0 VX (SWAMBO)

You sure are a Lucky Luke with the 4.7 on the way. I may also be looking at adding the 4.7 to the family this year, but we will first have to see what the finances does, getting married, moving into new house, maintenance on the 2.7, so budget is running tight now. Lets hope.

oh man I'm so glad I got rid of my jeep.... - I was heading down Luckys road but seems I jumped out in time and some other poor "Jeep lover" can take over the dark pit!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast