Dissapointed in my CTEK Charger

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Dissapointed in my CTEK Charger

I eventually bought myself the much hyped about CTEK charger (MultuXS 7000) recently for R1500.

I was very excited about this cutting-edge-technology-state-of-the-art-piece of-technological-advancement-and-modern-day-marvel and after I have read the manual I immediately connect it to my Engel Battpak 56 on "normal" mode as it needed a bit of a top-up charge.

To my dissapointment the CTek ownly flashed the error indicator. The same on all the other modes.I waited for a while to see if it won't eventually proceed to the relevant charging lamps but no luck. The red acceptance light on the Engel also lit up very vague.

Thinking that maybe something is wrong with my battery I then hooked it up last night to my "Midas-special" charger (which I bought for R165 by the way). The Midas charger had no problem in charging and by this morning it was almost fully charged.

In the meanwhile I hooked up the CTEK to my 105A Delco Voyeger battery in my Imagine Trailvan wich was about 50% discharged. No problems this time as the CTEK commenced with charging and the appropriate lamps lit. After about an hour I checked up on the CTEK charger. No problems still on the charging side except for the fact that the CTEK was so HOT on the underside that I litteraly could not touch it. Yes, there was enough ventilation. I think if I checked on it a bit later it would most propably have damaged my sinthetic industrial carpet that I have placed in the Imagine. I then immediately disconnected the CTEK and let the Einhell charger take over. Neither the Einhell nor my Midas charger ever became so hot whilst charging 50% discharged batteries.

After this I checked the CTEK manual again to try and work out what the problem could be on not charging the Engel. I saw that it only charge lead-acid type of batteries. Checking on the Engel Australia website I confirm that the Engel is also a lead-acid deepcycle battery. So that can't be the problem. The reccommended Amp range is also well within spec as the Engel is a 56Amp battery. So no problem there either.

I will now try and get hold of the CTEK distributors in SA to ask for an explanation. In the meanwhile I will also try and hook up a CTEK to another Engel Battpak to see if it also reflect the similar error message.

If it is just a dud CTEK charger which can be replaced or a problem with my Engel (which is unlikely), no problem. If not, I can categorcally say that the CTEK XS 7000 is a big dissapointment for me and I will return it and ask for my money back, despite the other fancy features it may have, as it won't serve my requirements. But I don't want to shoot down the CTEK just yet.

I will keep you updated in my efforts to get to the bottom of this.

Anybody else have a similar or other problem with their CTEK?

Sorry to hear about your problems. I'm very happy with mine. No problems so far with normal use and it ressurected two old batteries that had been standing for ages.

Check out: http://www.ctek.com/EN/home.asp
    Maybe you can get some help.
    * "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

I got a dilemma, my db needs to be kept out of the vehicle. Is it worthwhile buying one of these things and keep it connected to the battery?
    '16 Toyota Land Cruiser D/C v8
    '15 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4D

Bryan, mine runs all the time. My two batteries for the EGi and Courier get zapped permanently, alternating between the two every now and then when I remember to swap them over. Mine is the cheaper one, XS 3600

Feedback: I took the CTEK to 4x4 Mega World and hook it up to another Engel Battpak 56. Same thing: only the error light lit up and no charging. Nothing wrong with the Engel as the 'normal' type of chargers do charge an Engel.

Now the question remains: is it all CTEK 7000 chargers OR is it my CTEK that is a dud? Wil go either today or tomorrow to Outdoor Warehouse to hook up the Engel to another CTEK.

Watch this space...

As Spike said, mine is connected all the time, also the smaller one and have only good things to say about it. By the way it's connected to my 105amp deep cycle battery, it's takes a bit longer to charge this battery but still does the job.

Johann du Toit
    06 Sorento 3.5A - sadly sold.
    07 Colt D/C 3.0
    Next - 110 Defender - got it now!
    T104

I also have the XS 3600 which I only use to charge my 105ah deep cell battery which is permanently in my trailer's nose cone. It does get hot but I do not have any problems with it. Agree, it does take a little longer on this size battery but I am happy.
    1999 3500 V6 LWB Pajero<br>Campmaster Wilderness with Trailer Tent<br><br>Elmar van Niekerk<br><br>Witbank ( A town in Mpumalanga )

Where can I get one in PE
    '16 Toyota Land Cruiser D/C v8
    '15 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4D

Got mine at Outdoor Warehouse. Dunno if they have a branch in PE.

Fritzie,

It would seem that you have a faulty CTEK. I have two of these, the XS-7000 & XS-3600 and both chargers are permanently installed. Take it back to the Supplier and let them test it. The base of the unit has never yet been too hot to touch, and the LEDs burn brightly.

Bryan,

Try Autozone - I paid R570 for the smaller one and about double that for the XS-7000. Both are very good buys!

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

Quite like mine. Also gets hot but revived the toyotas battery. Does not want to revive the 105 ah dc willard
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application modifications
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive and Security drivers training worldwide
    herman@angeloffroad.co.za
    +27824453301
    For Sale:2013 Man DC 4x4 Amarok 93 000km-R295 000

I went to Outdoor Warehouse (OW) with the Engel to establish whether it was just my CTEK that was a dud.

Not so: neither another 7000 model nor the 3600 model was able to charge the Engel and only the error lamps lit up again. They had no problem in refunding me.

So it is official: a CTEK charger can't charge a Engel Battpack 56. They just seem not to be compatible for some reason. The guys at OW suspect that there are some device like a safety device maybe built into the Engel that prohibit it from receiving a charge from the CTEK. Maybe the unique way the CTEK is charging is not acceptable to the Engel.

One of the staff at OW said that she had a similar problem with her CTEK and she left it on the "Supply" mode for an hour and the problem vanished. I will phone the distributors of CTEK in SA and maybe they will have an explanation.

What a pity: Paying R1500 for a charger one would expect it should at least do what a R165 Midas charges can do, but on the other hand the CTEK got some other great features.

Anyway, thanks for all your inputs.

PS. Eric, it was the red charge acceptance light on the Engel that did not light up brightly not the lamps on the CTEK.

I also have a Ctek XS7000 which I use to charge a 75 amp PLUS a 105 amp (both Deltec), connected to one another while still in the vehicle and with the fridge running on the batteries while charging. It takes about 12-18 hours but works like a charm. It does get hot but so far so good.

I have once found the charger not to be able to get the charge up and found although connected that the connection was not clean. I think that with the trickle charge it has to have a very good connection. Might be something similar in your case.

CATs
    Last edited by Cats; 2007/01/14 at 05:29 PM.
    2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper) Blank canvas with some blobs
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    <br>
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten)
    <br>

Brian
    Bought a fancy charger for my shop at essential power services, contact Graeme, call me I will give you his details.
    Rob Stock
    SS Agencies
    Tel: (041) 379 2495
    Fax: 086 529 3495
    Cell: 082 905 4738

Quote Originally Posted by Cats View Post
    I have once found the charger not to be able to get the charge up and found although connected that the connection was not clean. I think that with the trickle charge it has to have a very good connection. Might be something similar in your case.

CATs
    CAT's, I think you are maybe on to something as the Engel needs a male Hella plug for charging. The way I hook the CTEK (as well as other chargers) up to the Engel, is by making use of another set of crocodile clips connected to a male Hella plug. These crocodile clamps is connected to the CTEK's crocodile clamps and the positive isolated from the negative should make a good connection, but who knows...maybe the male hella plug where it fits into the Engel is maybe not a solid enough connection? But still the cheap charger is charging by connecting it in the same way...

I have phoned Shane Maree at Observer Technologies, the distributors of CTEK in SA, and he said it is the first time he has heard of this problem but he will look into it and get back to me. He also told me that it is normal that the CTEK can get a bit hot.

A little warning for the guys like myself who leave the Ctek on permanently. Check the water level regularly!

I've been charging my batteries permanently, alternating between the two, and decided to have a peep at the levels and they were both empty. Completely.

I last checked them in about December or so.

I topped them up. One is dead but the other one is still taking a charge. I'll see later if it's also stuffed or
    not.

Edit: There's probably a logical explanation for this but I'll leave that for the clever okes.

Last edited by Spike; 2007/02/06 at 03:08 PM.

Spike, which C-Tek do you have? The 7000 has various output voltages, and you should only use the 13.8v one for a float charge. If you use the 14.4v voltage, you could possibly lose battery water.

I haven't read the manual yet, but it is my understanding that you should be able to leave the Ctek permanently connected to an unattended battery, that is the whole idea behind it.

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

Ctek is a advanced computerised charger not a power supply it supply a signal rather than a voltage. Ctek uses power electronics and high frequencies that is why it is so small if compared to other chargers. The transformer in it is very small thanks to the high freqencies. It analize the battery and decide in what mode it will charge it. So it depends what it "sees" what it will do. A battery is a storage device. If you hook up your fridge there is a coil on the otherside which it does not under stand. When you use your frige while the charger is on the supply is comming from the charger because of the nature of batteries (storage devices).A normal charger wont last either(damage the transformer by overheating), if you dont have the right size. ea the current the battery draw and the current the fridge draw combined. dont be fooled a 12a charger is actually a 6a charger read carefully in the documents supplied. I will recommend a automatic charger it will prevent damage to the battery by prevent over charging. Hawkins is a local one. Moral of the story Ctek want to see a battery not a motor. There is a difference between a Ctek a cheap charger and a power supply and a switchmode powersupply beware.

So what are you sayig Bertus, dont run your fridge while "charging" the battery?
    May your stay be an experience and your experience be why you stay

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    So what are you sayig Bertus, dont run your fridge while "charging" the battery?
    yes and no ! if your batt is flat and the fridge is running the fridge will draw its running current and the batt will draw as much as the charger will deliver. Thus a big charger. But circumstance will dictate what you will do. Certainly you will use your fridge in the bush with no electricity (genny ?) If on power charge and run not from the same dc source I would recommend. When charging with batt connected the batt will see the whole curent because its in between and you will cook it.Some persons will differ.
    Last edited by bertus; 2008/01/16 at 01:50 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast