Discovery 3 Disco 3 reliability - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Gman View Post
    Thanks for feedback. This is my concern. Why would they change service intervals to 24k/12months only for the 2007 models. Surely oils and parts are the same as the other years. I agree that more regular servicing on the diesels are a better option. My dilemma as follows : Current maitenance plan expires end august 2010. Can buy a new one for R30k - gives 2 years / 48000km. On current service intervals, only 2 services for R30K. 24000km seems very long for a deisel.
    Remember its not only a service plan but a warranty as well. As I understand it owners could decide which plan they would like to follow. On my 2007 it was and still is serviced every 12000, so when I took out the extended plan it was stipulated that it will continue to be every 12000.

From my previous post:

"What is a decent price for a 2005 Disco3 V8 HSE with 100,000km's? I have head offers of around R270k? Is this too much? "

Toyota Prado 150 4.0 VX
    ------------------------------------------------
    Jeep Cherokee 3.7L Sport - 2003 Sold
    Mods.: Frankenlift Premuim II - 2.5" Lift Kit
    ARB Bullbar, Airsprings - Rear
    ------------------------------------------------
    Conqueror Commander-Sold

it seems more or less in the average for that age.
    between R260k and R285k for the HSE.
    100 000 km for that age is also reasonable.

Land Rovers never die, they simply become organ donors!

Check out Disco3 dot co dot uk for a huge amount of information.

Don't be scared by the horror stories, remember more people complain than praise.

Disco3 is a pretty good place and can be quite objective.

My D3 arrives on Wednesday.

J

My dads TD 09 is every 20+k or 12 months. It's actually not THAT long, The engine was sourced from Peugeot and modded by Jag. Diesel Peugeot's in SA have had 20k services since around 2002. In Europe some diesels have 50k service intervals. Gotta LOVE a diesel.

We have had warnings and limp modes but nothing a simple OFF and ON again didn't sort out.

Your biggest problem will come from that STUPID PATHETIC tracking unit from NETSTAR. We ALWAYS have @#$# the moment we leave Gauteng. I don't know why they fit it as standard. Every vehicle we've had with the full Netstar unit has given us nonsense. IMO thats the UNRELIABLE part of a D3.

Default Disco 3 reliability

I bought a 2007 D3 V8 HSE only about 5 months ago, so I can't really attest to the reliability, except there is little evidence in the service history of any problems. I traded a Merc ML350 and I can tell you the D3 is a far superior vehicle in all ways (except acceleration and fuel cosumption!). 100000km is relatively low for that age vehicle and is nothing for the V8. I'd go for it. PS: fuel consumption is a bit scary, averaging 16.5l/100km. It's not the cost that worries me, but the limited range on a realtively small tank (83l). I used to get 750km on a tank with the ML and only 500km in the D3.

Thumbs up

Hi there Jeep man. I myself is also a formar Jeep driver (2,7 CRD Grand). I am very carefull to give my advice here, seeing that most of the replies came from "landy lovers". I completely aggree that the D3 is a superb vehicle, but when it comes to reliability, I have my doubts. My boet was the owner once of a 2005 TDV6 D4, and he had his fare share of difficulties with that car. The ride was absolutely amazing, and so was the 4x4 system, but the computers was the glitch in this particular vehicle. Going a bit back to my ex Jeep, I had the same experience there. It was an amazing vehicle, if and when it was able to drive. The computers gave me endless problems, I had to replace the ECU three times, and that was just one of the problems I've encountered. After the Jeep I bought a 120 Prado. Now I know that is like swearing in the topic of the D3, but just here me out. Since I bought a LC, I have never had any repair costs on my vehicle. Nothing. My savings, actually stayd saved for a change. The features in the 120 Prado is not really comparable to that of the D3, but at least it is also a phinominal vehicle, and it really just keeps going. I now have just bought my 150 Prado, and will never drive anything else than a Land Cruiser. But that is just me ! Good Luck man.
    Last edited by Troopy; 2010/07/05 at 09:11 AM.
    To be alive, doesn't necessarily mean to live !

Hey, I had a D3 not D4! But these guys are gonna Bli$%&%^& us in this forum. I have my own personal opinion on the D3 and would rather keep it to myself. Go for it, it's an awesome drive. Just make sure you have enough mula to maintain it properly once it goes out of motor plan. When nothing breaks and it needn't go for a service all's fine. But the 176k service will put you back some serious savings. The other services are around 5-8k depending what needs to be done. Do the brakes yourselves even though the parts will still cost 1k you will save a lot of labour costs and it's very easy and quick to install. Make sure you have a friend working for a stealer that can help you in case of emergency and put his number on your cellphone (believe me it will help to know someone like that) Does the D3 pull my heart strings? Yes even my children still says hulle verlang na die landrover! Oh and make sure you take your prozacks when trying to trade it in with more than neccesary kilos, you WILL need them. It's a better drive than the Prado for sure, but until SA wakes up and start paying proper trade in prices for this amazing vehicle, I will be weary.
    All said, I still miss the D3.
    Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.
    - Thomas Dewar

Sorry man. At least in the rest of my post, I mentioned "D3" and not "D4". Still I hope that no one takes offence !
    To be alive, doesn't necessarily mean to live !

Default So far so good

I have a 2008 TDV6 since new. It is now on 72000 km. I moved up from BMW (3 series) and I haven't regretted this decion to this day. The ride quality of this car is out of this world. Suprisingly, I experience even less understeer (i.e. the need to cut corners) in the disco than in the 3 series. I have taken it to Namibia (Swakopmund, Etosha), Botswana, Zimbabwe (Vic falls & back via Beitbridge) and Limpopo (several times), all from CT (hence the high mileage). The niggles that I have experienced so far (twice in fact) were with the electronic park brake, the first it happened was scary as the vehicle had seized. It appears that they expected this problem as they provided a manual override (you pull a cable with the wheel spanner after taking out the small cover behind the park brake).

Disco 4 is not enough of a stepup to justify upgrading, so I will probably look at something else when time comes.

Only issue that has shown itself on more than one ocassion is the handbrake (electric) refusing to release. I have also heard it mentioned on the rumour mill amd of course it could just be a rumour, that the body has to be lifted X amount to repair a common clutch issue although I have never had any with clutch issues so know nothing more.

regards

Dave

regards

Dave
    Remember as an individual you are unique.......................just like everyone else

Landcruiser HDJ80, UK spec (triple lockers ect)

I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas.... getting my Disco3 on Friday....

2012 LR Discovery 4 SDV6 SE
    2011 LR Defender 90
    2014 Jurgens Xplorer

Disclaimer - Everything I post is my opinion, based on my assumption or experience, might not be factual, don't have to be justified and might differ from other opinions. Deal with it.

Details man ..... more details........

Left the corporate world behind...

http://stilbaaiminer.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DMR View Post

Disco 4 is not enough of a stepup to justify upgrading, so I will probably look at something else when time comes.
    Eish beg to differ. What else is out there that can even compare to the D4?

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas.... getting my Disco3 on Friday....
    You wont look back, th car is an absolute pleasure on and off road.
    Stephen

Landrover Discovery 3 TDV6SE
    Freelander 2 - Swambo

I have a 2005 Disco 3 that I bougth in 2006. The D3 had some problems early on, but with later models most of those problems were rectified. I've had it in the Namib on one of those dune trips, no problem. Did a trip in the Ugab river without problems. It does have a lot of electrics and it is expensive to repair. I do think you need a fault code reader that can erase fault codes if you take it way of the beaten track, because a few people have become stranded after a computer glitch. It is an awesome vehicle with surprising off road prowess.

Default Selling my Disco 3 TDV6 SE

Hi All, I have had a TDV6 from new since early 2009. When I bought it I had the choice of the "8A" spec or the "9A" spec which realy was the difference between colour coded bumpers, colour coded wheel arches and 12,000km service intervals with a an electronic service reminder. I chose to go for the "9A" as the 12,000km service intervals sounded like a good idea and at the same price as the "8A" spec the cost of the services was clearly covered. I do an average of 4,500km per month for business all over Gauteng, Mpumalanga and North West and being concerned of possible high maintenance costs I chose to extend the motorplan to 5yrs and 186,000km. This came at a pretty good price, I thought, when comparing against my BMW motorplan extension quote I had gotten before deciding to trade it on the Disco 3. Any way, I have had no use of the motorplan other than the services - no issues at all and wonderfull service! I now need to get some cash out of the vehicle and have thus decided to sell it . Please see my add on the forum's classifieds - I have advertised it at R455k, although this is already R20k below the going resale book value I am quite keen to negotiate it even lower in order to get the money. I have a dealer who will assist in arranging finace if that is needed. Send me a message to aidang@lantic.net if you are interested. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2