Mokopane shopping and restaurant

Default Mokopane shopping and restaurant

Well, how can I tell this..i am a bit confused and embarassed
    I just notice a mistake, a big thoughtlessness I just made in a previous post :
    I confuse Mokopane and Polokwane. I will go and stop at Mokopane on my way to Botswana and go back via Polokwane on my way back to go to Blyde River.

So about MOKOPANE :

-Where is the best place to do shopping (groceries, wines, batteries, everything you can need during a camping time such as soap, fire lighter, extra tools, extra cooking devices...)

-What restaurant would you recommend (I am looking for a relax place where the meat (game or domestic) is very good and fit perfectly with the south african wines)

GPS coordonnates are welcome

sorry again for the double post...I need holiday...

if it was me --- i'll do all my shopping in Polokwane and skip Mokopane
    see response on prev, thread. (The two are 60km from each other)
    Or for that matter shop and eat in Lephalale (Ellisras) -- closer to border.

Restaurant in Lephalale 23,40,45,54S 27,44,25,59E
    Last edited by Samajoor; 2010/06/29 at 11:02 AM. Reason: add info
    Gerhard.
    4-tuner.

Yes but..
    I will land at Tambo the morning. I need to pick up the 4x4 make sure everything is ok and then hit the road.
    Considering a long flight without enough sleeping and the fact that my plane can have delay, i don't want to drive too much the first day and wanted to be in good position to go to Botswana the day after.
    Mokopane appears to me to be a good place.
    Lephalale would have been a good option but is seems to be a more than one hour driving in addition compare to Mokopane...and I'am afraid this could be too much.
    But I going to think about it

I dont want to change your plans but look into this:
    From receiving your vehicle and do everything you still want to in Johannesburg or Pretoria then take the N1 up to Modimolle where you can overnight and eat (good restaurants) and do your last minute shopping.
    The next day take the R33 to Lephalale and then the R510 to Stockpoort border post and then easy to Palapye -- by then all the jet-lag will be gone and you can enjoy your trip further.

I think this is also a shorter route to Palapye
    Gerhard.
    4-tuner.

Or between Mokopane and Modimolle is Mookgophong. I grew up there, a small town with a small detour off the N1. Lots of overnight guest houses and acommodation. There are some restaurants around, but nothing proper. Also the 4x4 specific supplies, there are agriculture shops and hardware that will sort most needs, but not all.

I would still choose this over Mokopane. But like Lepogo said Modimolle charming little town, beautiful part of the Limpopo provence. Either that or Polokwane IMO
    Sold Land Rover 110 Tdi Hard top.
    Crank driven compressor http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=42059

Sold: 2000 Discovery2 V8 Auto

Current: 2005 Subaru Outback 3.0R: Mommy wagon, strapped to a rocket. What a car!

Orra call sign B226

Oooohh makes me wonder ... as sang Led Zeppelin...

About Stockpoort : it is a easy custom or a slow one ?
    and the road between Stockpoort to Mahalapye looks on my map a gravel one

A road calculator (BING on internet) tell to go via Martin drift to make Lephalale-->Palapye, as the quickest road.

But I prefer human advice than machine advice

the same computer road calculator say
    Tambo airport to Lephalale : 324 km 03H15 hours driving
    Tambo airport to Mokopane : 251 km 02H20 driving

That is just a good half hour more... Do you confirm it ?

Forget about the Stockpoort crossing and stick to you initial plan towards Martins drift.

the same computer road calculator say
    Tambo airport to Lephalale : 324 km 03H15 hours driving
    Tambo airport to Mokopane : 251 km 02H20 driving

That is just a good half hour more... Do you confirm it ? YES but then you still need to travel to Martins drift which is ( i guess ) about 130 km ( another hour) and nothing to be seen on the road while when travelling from Modimolle to Lephalale to Martins drift you might see game along the road ( plenty of game ranches )

My issue here is that i am not very fond of stopping in Mokopane apart from refeuling due to the crime rate in Mokopane.
    Shopping and eating (restaurants ) in all those towns are similar

Do not bind yourself by the abovementioned travelling times as it will definitly take you longer as shown by the calculator

When are you visiting??
    Last edited by Samajoor; 2010/06/30 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Add ifo
    Gerhard.
    4-tuner.

Due to the crime rate in Mokopane
    Do you mean it is a hot place ?
    I better not try to go out for diner and stay at the Bed & breakfast ?
    Thanks again for your help

May be not that hot but as a tourist you are not used to look over you shoulders (both at the same time) and also want to relax and enjoy the holiday.
    The locals are used to it and the B&B where you are staying will direct you to safer diner places
    Gerhard.
    4-tuner.

In Mokopane there is a place called The Oaks they have an overnight and a great restaurant (best ribs in Limpopo) +27 15 491 4355 or +27 83 441 7224.

Then for groceries visit SuperSpar, belongs to a friend of mine +27 83 414 2701 tell him Louw sent you.

I have alot of clients in Mokopane and have not heard that is crime ridden or unsafe.

Regards
    Louw

Many thank,
    Oak sounds good to me

I know that it is way too late to help Ericarole but for those of you who are thinking of stopping at Mokopane on your way to Botswana, whether it be to shop or overnight, here are the facts and not just useless speculation: The crime rate in Mokopane is very low (one of the reasons I chose to retire here from Johannesburg).There is lots of overnight accommodation, especially B&B's. Shopping can be done at one of the town's small malls, either Mokopane Mall where there in a Pick 'n Pay or The Crossing where a Checkers is situated. As a matter of interest, most Mookgophong residents do the shopping in Mokopane. Apart from the Oaks, already mentioned, one can eat at O Hagans or The Dros situated in the main street. There is also a Maxis and numerous other coffee shops and take-a-ways. Enjoy Mokopane, it is surrounded by mountains, game farms and lodges. I can recommend it.