Forum Geocaching? - Page 4

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Derick
    Ja dit kan 'n probleem skep!!!. Jy's die GPS boffin, hoekom sal 'n GPS die een dag amper 30 meter uit wees as 'n ander dag, alhoewel hulle oor die algemeen met die caching "spot on" is. Maar net swakker gps of wat? Ek weet die "handheld units" is meer vir die tipe goed bedoel maar soos ek se oor die algemeen was my 200 nogal akuraat. Ek het darem nog nie die selfde onderfind met die Dakota 20 nie.
    '02 Toyota Prado 3.0 td VX, SAC intercooler, Kumho KL78 A/T's. DIY roofrack and rack system.
    "Good judgement come from experience, experience come from bad judgement"

Thanks Tod
    That expains a lot to me, so what you are saying is that even in heavy overcast conditions it should not affect the accuracy of a unit if in the open. I have experienced great difficulty when under thick tree canopies, sometimes you just keep going back and forth and left to right and never find the true Ground Zero and ending up with an approximate radius of about 10-20 meters
    '02 Toyota Prado 3.0 td VX, SAC intercooler, Kumho KL78 A/T's. DIY roofrack and rack system.

Quote Originally Posted by WernerS View Post
    Thanks Tod
    That expains a lot to me, so what you are saying is that even in heavy overcast conditions it should not affect the accuracy of a unit if in the open. I have experienced great difficulty when under thick tree canopies, sometimes you just keep going back and forth and left to right and never find the true Ground Zero and ending up with an approximate radius of about 10-20 meters
    Hi Werner,

Weather shouldn't affect a GPS. Tree canopies most certainly do attenuate the signal. Wet trees can completely block the signals. Your own body can block a signal completely.

Remember the signal is travelling from a fast moving satellite in orbit 21500km above earth. The signal is strong enough, but not very strong.

I prefer a GPS which has a signal strength indicator per satellite tracked as well as a sky map indicating where the satellite is located relative to me in azimuth and elevation. From that you can deduce where the problem lies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sky map.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	161275   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sky map 2.PNG 
Views:	134 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	161276  
    Todd
    D4 V8 HSE

Quote Originally Posted by Derick View Post
    I am sure they can but what will that do to other users of these signals like air traffic.

Regards,
    Derick
    10m in aviation is nothing. If you get closer than 50-100meters it can be labeled as an incident.

If you approach and airfield and you can't see it, your in trouble.

Thinus
    Potchefstroom
    Tapatalk for iPhone
    Thinus Enslin
    Potchefstroom
    VW Amarok BiTdi DC 4x4

JanFloris
    Ek sien julle het nou die dag my een cache besoek. Dis "Aneska's old waterpump" net anderkant Brits. My ander "hides" is "Dongas" in De Wildt maar die res is maar in Pta, "Beatrice Mare" en "Muggle park" in Garsfontein.

Hi guys,

Im glad to see so many geocachers in this forum.
    Me and the wife started geocaching 2 weeks ago, totaly by accident, I saw the function in my new Monana 600 so went and watched a youtube vid about what is geocaching and went out the next day to find our first one, and now we are hooked.

I hope to see a 4x4 caching day soon, as that will be the best of both worlds.
    We already entered the Mega in PTA for next month, so hope to see some of you there.

Cheers
    '99 Disco II 4.0 V8

Quote Originally Posted by Charel View Post
    Hi guys,

I hope to see a 4x4 caching day soon, as that will be the best of both worlds.

Cheers
    Hi Charel
    Welcome to caching, I'm sure you are going love it. I want to plan a forum 4x4 caching day, probably at Henops 4x4, there is about 14 caches around the trail so it's ideal for a caching 4x4 trip. I'm thinking of 6 October, maybe a sleepover as well. Keep an eye on this thread, and the Gauteng section so that we can see who's keen to go.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by WernerS View Post

Hi Charel
    Welcome to caching, I'm sure you are going love it. I want to plan a forum 4x4 caching day, probably at Henops 4x4, there is about 14 caches around the trail so it's ideal for a caching 4x4 trip. I'm thinking of 6 October, maybe a sleepover as well. Keep an eye on this thread, and the Gauteng section so that we can see who's keen to go.
    Cheers
    Hi Werner,

Thanx for the welcome, and yes we love doing geocaching, it's a great hobby.
    That sounds great, but that date also fall on the same date as the Mega Caching event held in PTA that weekend.
    I'm sure you know about the event.?

I see in their schedule they have 4x4 outings with caching at local 4x4 trails, so I don't know if that could influence it a little...
    Either way we are attending the Mega event, and would like to go camping close by, and also thought about Henops, but can't find to much detail regarding their camping ground. That would be great to camp at a 4x4 trail and go to the event during the day, and doing some trails in between.

I will surly keep my eye open for your trip, it would really be great to go and do both

Sorry, I was researching Groenkloof 4x4, Not Hennops, will go look at Hennops camping grounds.
    Any remarks from anyone regarding camping at Hennops?

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
    '99 Disco II 4.0 V8

Hi Charel
    Sorry, I didn't check the Mega's dates, we did register for the Mega quite a while ago so we will probably go the Saturday, maybe we could have our day on the 20th Oct. I will post something early in Sept. You could camp at the fountains caravan park for the Mega, it is right at the Voortrekker monument and you could do Groenkloof at the same time. I don't know the facilities there very well but I think you can get info on the Tshwane website under parks and recreation. Regarding Hennops, they don't have an official camping ground, there is a picnic area with ablution at the Donga lapa that one can book exclusively if you are a group of 10 or more vehicles but there is only cold showers so it's not ideal for a whole weekend's camping, maybe a quick overnight. I'm thinking of booking it for our forum caching day, depending on interest from the other people. Otherwise we just make it a day outing. Hope to see you at the Mega!
    Cheers

I only recently came accros this "geocaching" when a guest left his magazine here, very interesting. Apparently we even have some of these caches hidden on our property, didnt even know about it. lol.
    Last edited by AboutAfrica; 2012/08/28 at 12:43 PM.
    "Meerkat"
    Namboyz (a made up story to scare grown-up children)
    Slightly Modded 03' V8 Disco

Quote Originally Posted by WernerS
    Hi Charel
    Sorry, I didn't check the Mega's dates, we did register for the Mega quite a while ago so we will probably go the Saturday, maybe we could have our day on the 20th Oct. I will post something early in Sept. You could camp at the fountains caravan park for the Mega, it is right at the Voortrekker monument and you could do Groenkloof at the same time. I don't know the facilities there very well but I think you can get info on the Tshwane website under parks and recreation. Regarding Hennops, they don't have an official camping ground, there is a picnic area with ablution at the Donga lapa that one can book exclusively if you are a group of 10 or more vehicles but there is only cold showers so it's not ideal for a whole weekend's camping, maybe a quick overnight. I'm thinking of booking it for our forum caching day, depending on interest from the other people. Otherwise we just make it a day outing. Hope to see you at the Mega!
    Cheers
    Cool.
    I will have a look at that camp site to see how they are as it would be great because they are so close to the event.
    I'm sure you will get some interest from the forum members, even if it's people going for their first caching experience.
    It would be nice to do a overnight thing for your trip, but if you don't get enough people a day trip would also be great.

Looking forward to it already.

Cheers
    '99 Disco II 4.0 V8

Quote Originally Posted by AboutAfrica
    I only recently came accros this "geocaching" when a guest left his magazine here, very interesting. Apparently we even have some of these caches hidden on our property, didnt even know about it. lol.
    Great stuff and welcome

Now that you know about the game you can hide a couple of your own, so that the next time we visit your great country we have something extra to do to.
    '99 Disco II 4.0 V8

Talking Mega Event @ Voortrekker monument

I hope that everyone has paid for their tickets.
    Remember that you can buy your tickets up to the 21st of September 2012
    BUT after the 14th you will pay full price for your tickets.

Adults - R120 (R60 for early payment)
    Kids under 16 - R20 (R10 for early payment)

I think it is going to be lots of fun...
    Hope to see you guys there...
    (Making it an early bday pressie for myself)
    Tobias de V. Jansen van Noordwyk

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves

we are going camping this coming long weekend, so I will miss it.
    I went with swambo yesterday to Muldersdrif, she shot(photo's) the mtb race, I cached,
    found 15 in a short time.would have found more if we didn't have to go home.
    these were along the road, I drove, next time I will park and walk if these are abundent,
    eg. Irene area.

from all the apps I have tried, I like c:geo the most.
    I do tend to agree now that a tablet is not as accurate as a outdoor GPS,but it works for me currently.
    I did try my nuvi200, not to my liking.
    an etrex20 is on my wish list, I just hope it will work for caching, this isn't the only purpous I want it for thou.

I see in Heidelberg is a lot, will go hunt them soon.
    1997 defender 90 300tdi
    2006 discovery 3 tdv6 S
    2010 polo vivo ( swambo )

LROC - member since 2007

I should have mentioned...
    The MEGA is on the weekend of 5 - 7 October 2012
    So Marcus you can still go

Talking More info on the MEGA 5-7 October 2012

Some people asked what will be happening at the MEGA, over the 3 days.
    Below is the announcement they made yesterday.
    I don't know half of these activities, but I think it will be fun.
    We will most likely only be there on the Sat.

GoSA made an announcement about MEGA South Africa 2012 (Mega-Event Cache) on9/11/2012

Log Date:9/11/2012
    With the MEGA South Africa 2012 almost upon us, the anticipation is building for a MEGA jam-packed, MEGA fun-filled and MEGA exciting weekend of MEGA Geocaching festivities. Do we hear a HOO HAA? NOT YET Then point your GPS in this direction, fix your bearing and prepare yourself for the following amazing experiences with us:

Caching Activities:
    - Buddy Caching
    - 4x4 Events
    - 9 Icon walk
    - Talks and workshops
    - CITO Events
    - TB Race Launch
    - Horseback Caching
    - Mountain Bike Trails
    - Hiking Trails
    - Night Caching
    - Caching Gurus
    - Geocoins Showcase
    - Nature Guide
    - Stargazing
    - Trackable Discovery Table and Exchange
    - Reviewer Q&A

Fun Stuff:
    - Garmin Sound Rig and entertainment
    - Geo Bingo
    - Geo Passport
    - Pop Balloon
    - Photo Pin Board
    - Kiddies Activities
    - Plus loads of other surprises!

Ceremonies:
    - Opening Logbook
    - Closing Logbook

Plus:
    - Bolton GPS
    - GeoCaching Stores
    - Wifi Hotspot
    - Restaurant
    - Snack Stalls
    - Drinks Stall

Check out more details onwww.geocachingsa.comor onwww.geocaching.comlisting GC3B0EJ.
    You can also join us on our Facebook pagehttp://www.facebook.com/groups/geocachingsa/

Walter
    Dont know how big your property is but here is a map with the closes caches to you. The arrow is pointing towards your lodge. the caches are the thingies that looks like treasure chests.
    I'l be at your place from the 26 October to the 28th October. (Still need to book a campsite)
    I can show you then about geocaching and maybe hide one or two on your farm closer to the lodge.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Vansubsea; 2012/09/21 at 01:50 AM.
    Quintus van der Merwe
    Vereeniging, SA
    2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.8 diesel
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT 4x4 6AT Diesel
    1966 Jeep Gladiator 5.7L V8 Chevi Auto
    1953 JeepCJ3B

So who is going to the Mega Event in PTA this weekend?
    Me and SWAMBO is going on Saturday for the whole day.
    Maybe going to do the 4x4 and caching event to.
    Let's see a show of hands who is going from the forum, so we could join up.
    '99 Disco II 4.0 V8

Quote Originally Posted by Charel View Post
    So who is going to the Mega Event in PTA this weekend?
    Me and SWAMBO is going on Saturday for the whole day.
    Maybe going to do the 4x4 and caching event to.
    Let's see a show of hands who is going from the forum, so we could join up.
    *hand in die lug*
    Sat. Seker vroeg daar.
    Sal maar sien hoe lank... Ons GPS is nogsteeds MIA... Hehehe
    SWAMBO is al deur meeste van die bokse gewees

Bly om dit te hoor, dat julle gaan, nie dat jou GPS missing is nie lol.
    Pm my jou details as jy wil, ons gan ook vroeg daar wees, sodat ons kan sien hoe ons tewerk moet gan.
    '99 Disco II 4.0 V8

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast