Mosquito repellent – called Periprel

Default Mosquito repellent – called Periprel

I found this info on the forum (see below). Do anybody know where I can purchase this product or something similar? I am in the Cape Town area.

Deon, re mosquito gear - shop around at chemists in your area for a product called Periprel. You mix one sachet with I think five or ten litres of water, and then soak all your clothes in that, and hang them up to dry while still sopping wet. Kit out the whole family with a set of mozzie clothes (as mentioned, we use CapeStorm and First Ascent) which includes socks. With Periprel, the mozzies won't come near you, so you only need to Tabard the exposed skin on hands, necks etc. Also works brilliantly for pepper ticks. It is quite hard to find, so shop around. One application survives several washes and will last a full six week trip.

Mike, so far as I know it is permethrin based. I first used it in 1998 on a one month expedition from the mouth of the Zambezi to Cahora Bassa in rubber ducks with Kingsley Holgate. We were in and out of the water constantly, and pretty feral, and none of us got bitten, and I attribute that to the periprel.

Kooksop,

I have used permethrine on clothing once when we went to the Amazon and seemed to work. Normally I'm a magnet for mosquitos and never got bitten (put on DEET too). Had also the problem of not finding a solution ready for spraying on the clothes and ended up going to the pharmacist, got some permethine solution and diluted it in water in a 0.25% concentration.

Peripel seems to be 0.19% and there are other products on the market like Nomad Bugproof and Sawyer Permethrine that have 0.5% concentration which it might be too much, that's used for the military. No-one seems to really know the exact safety threshold but from what I've seen around 0.20-0.25% seems to be the consensus for normal civilian use considering that this stuff actually is an insecticide, toxic in high concentrations and absorbed by the skin.

Kobus

HDJ81 VX

Question deet / mozzie repellant

hi All

how necessary is mosquito repellant in July / August inZim and Bots? I always used peaceful sleep, it has deet in it, and seems to work fine, or is this not sufficient?

and what is a pepper tick?
    thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by kimosabid72 View Post
    hi All
    how necessary is mosquito repellant in July / August inZim and Bots? I always used peaceful sleep, it has deet in it, and seems to work fine, or is this not sufficient?
    and what is a pepper tick?
    thanks guys!
    Repellant and prophylaxis is essential especially as you will be (according to your other post) on the Zambezi and Chobe for part of the time. Periprel has unfortunately been taken off the market because of lack of demand. Kim, pepper ticks are tiny little red ticks that occur mostly in grassland areas. You can get hundreds of them on you at a time, and they bite you and suck your blood - nasty little critters.

Tony