Mitsubishi Starter

4ePikanini Guest

Default Mitsubishi Starter

PS : When I talk about clicking below, I'm talking about the starter solenoid clicking - NOT the clicking you might hear in the dash. If you you have a click in the dash but no click in the solenoid you have an immobiliser or ignition or fuse or wiring problem, and need to see an auto electrician or trace the fault.

First things first

Disconnect the battery as we are working with a live 12v cable

Then remove the cables to the starter

Then the 2 bolts that hold the starter in place

You can now have this in your hand plus the heatshield

The clicking that people hear is due this cylinder getting stuck in this tube
    I took close-ups to show my wear over 260k kilometers of use.
    (I'm pretty confident my starter and solenoid is original as it's branded mitsu and people don't replace originals - usually )

The clicking ( and not cranking ) is due to either
    - excessive sticking of the cylinder in the tube due to rust ( long standing ) or dirt
    - lack of 12v to the solenoid due to old wiring or bad ground or flat battery

If you get the dreaded repetitive clicking it is usually a flat battery as the battery has enough power to get the solenoid going, but as soon as the connection is made and the starter motors draws current, the battery loses voltage and the solenoid disengages. Then the battery has voltage again and the process starts over.....click..click..click..click..click

The cylinder

The tube

When the solenoid engages it also pushes the gear teeth towards the flywheel ring gear ( otherwise the starter would always turn when the motor is running and would wear very quickly ), when the 12v is removed from the solenoid the spring pushes the solenoid back towards the original position where current does not flow to the starter.

And then the inside of the starter

I'm not an expert and the info given here might be wrong. I'm open to corrections.

I take no responsibility for the correctness or accuracy of info given above.

Jislaaik - this is great info 4ePikanini. - thanks!

It would be really great if this could be stickied - Mods, asseblief? There's always someone with a starting problem, so a sticky would come in most useful.

If I had been armed with this info a few months back, it could have saved me a couple of grand. I've always shied away from the electrical system, due to a lack of understanding.

Great write up. Only correction is in the 5th picture. Were you said "ground-bad connection" It is actually still a 12 volt positive connection. The casing of the starter is your ground. Inside the solenoid is a switch, when the coil off the solenoid is energized the plunger move and push that little nipple that is spring loaded in your 8th picture and move the switch in to create contact to get the 12 volt positive from the battery to the motor of the starter.

NOTE : Pic 5 notes the orange line as ground which is wrong. That is the 12 feed to the brushes once the solenoid is activated.

Quote Originally Posted by MariusFourie View Post
    NOTE : Pic 5 notes the orange line as ground which is wrong. That is the 12 feed to the brushes once the solenoid is activated.
    Correct yes.
    Volkswagen Jetta 1.9 Tdi, 2002
    Isuzu KB 250 Dle, LWB, 1999

I am asking a stupid question here, what does it mean if your solenoid gets very hot, it clicks when you turn the key and then you get a louder click then it starts. This happens every no and then on my 1998 colt rodeo