Best Double Cab 4x4 to Buy?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Best Double Cab 4x4 to Buy?

Helo,
    Which Double Cab 4x4 would you regard as the best vehicle to buy for a primary vehicle (second hand)? - Taking maintenance, fuel consumption and capability into account... (Petrol or Diesel)

Toyota
    Nissan Navara
    Nissan Hardbody
    Triton
    Colt
    For Ranger
    Mazda BT 50
    Isuzu

What did i miss?
    Hennie
    Ford Wildtrak 4x4
    Disclaimer: The views expressed by me in the above thread and replies are based on my personal experience and perceptions, which may be subjected to change from time to time.
    ORRA Call Sign B165

I was considering getting a bakkie as a second car and I was starting to lean towards the Hiluxes. Sadly I dont think the finances will allow it just yet.

I think the key is to get one that wasnt really used offroad all that often basically dont buy one from someone on this forum (no offense, but its true)

My Personal oppinion is Either the Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4 or the Ford Ranger 3.0TDCI XLE 4x4 or the Mazda BT50 3.0 SLE 4x4.

I have heard that the Navara's are not good at offroad at all!! (Not enough ground clearance)

How much do you want to spend??

2014 Ford Ranger 2.2XL DC - White - Me
    2016 Ford Fiesta 1.4 Ambiente - Grey - Swambo

It seems that most would recommend the Toyota and Ford...(on which I agree)

What about the Triton and Isuzu?
    Hennie
    Ford Wildtrak 4x4
    Disclaimer: The views expressed by me in the above thread and replies are based on my personal experience and perceptions, which may be subjected to change from time to time.
    ORRA Call Sign B165

I of course think the Isuzu is best, but then that's because I have one! Personally, I would go with my gut, that means that whatever you feel is best will probably be best for you. The Toy would be my second choice though.
    VW Touareg V8 TDi
    Isuzu KB 300 D-Teq 4x4 DC -Sold
    Isuzu Frontier 320 4x4 - Sold

I hear the new (Facelift) Isuzu is a very nice 4x4. Lots of power. Haven't driven one as yet though!

Maybe you should look at some of the "small" things, to see what you prefer, for example:
    The Ford/Mazda uses a gear lever for your'e "4x4" gears (Which I prefer) whereas the Isuzu uses a switch on the dash. Maybe you like the switch idea more than the lever or vice versa. Small things like this can help you make up you're mind on what you want to buy.

I don't think you can go wrong with Toyota,Ford/Mazda,Isuzu. They are all good bakkies!

I prefer the lever... more to play with

Ford has changed back to the lever, that only tells me one thing... stick with mechanical components.

Which of these 4x4 has the least amount of electronics and bells and whistles?
    Hennie
    Ford Wildtrak 4x4
    ORRA Call Sign B165

I think the Ford/Mazda is more "oldschool" than the Triton/Isuzu ect. They all have ABS and Airbags and that kind of electronics but on the mechanical side I think the Ford is more traditional.Awesome 3.0 engine though! Even the 2.5TD is very nice mill! Not the most powerfull engine under the sun but reliable and has enough power for me!! (Most of the modern bakkies are extremely similar on the luxuries)
    What year model are you looking for??

If you ask me i would say Triton.... capable, fuel economy good, and a soft ride.. And you have the lever...haha
    Amarok Bitdi 8spd Auto
    DRAGON 29 Mhz
    General Grabbers
    Starting with the mods

Hi, you will not get a strait answer as we all are partial to what we drive or wish to drive. Good luck on the hunt and join us soon with the new van.

Jeep Commander 3.0 CRD Sport
    Ex Ford Ranger 4l xle 4x4. 278 000km and stil going strong. Until I sold it. (Mistake)
    Real Name.......Francois (As per Uys's request)

Ok Gents, let me throw a spanner in the works...

Toyota - NOT for me thanks. Very good bakkie, but everybody's got one
    Nissan Navara - VERY NICE! No ground clearance though. If fiited with bash plate, OME, replacement bumper - AWESOME!! (I wish I could afford one) DIESEL!!!
    Nissan Hardbody - My choice would be the 3.3 V6. Same fuel economy as the 2.4. Diesel not bad, but here and only here, I'd prefer petrol.
    Triton - TOO UGLY!! Sorry Triton guys. Its a matter of personal taste
    Colt - I once was told to stay as far away as possible from Mitsu-diesel. Dunno who true this is...
    For Ranger - VERY good choice. Rated as one of the best.
    Mazda BT 50 - See above
    Isuzu - Older series had weak chassis. Dunno whether that was fixed with the new. I'd stay away. (Again, personal taste)

Basically, all of the above are very good vehicles - only the Navara is not very capable in standard form due to lack of ground clearance but this is something one can easily overcome with a few $$$$

You can not go wrong with any of these. Just stay away from the indian and chinese vehicles.....

On the other hand, One can get a GWM Hover (SUV) 2.5TDi 4x4 with low range for R 270K - brand spanking new.....

Surely someone made a comparison between the different 4x4 ito cost, value for money, reliability, resale value etc...
    Last edited by Smiles; 2010/01/25 at 02:19 PM.
    Hennie
    Ford Wildtrak 4x4
    ORRA Call Sign B165

Most Magazines have done tests over the years to compare all these bakkies.

My opinion though is that these guys are biased towards certain brands and it will always be that way, so if I was you I would take their reviews with a pinch of salt!!

But like I say..thats my opinion!

If you put resale value into the picture, then you would never buy any of them!
    Top sales will give an indication as to popularity & last I checked the Hilux led Isuzu, & the fords followed the Isuzu.
    Those are the top 3 to choose from, they are all good in thier own right it is just personal preference, Ive driven them all & just enjoyed the ride of the suzi more.

Simply take a test drive with each & when youre done you will know which one is right for you!
    Justin (Aka GECKO)
    Isuzu KB300 Dteq D/C 4x4 +
    Member I.O.C.

If there's dirt i'll find it!!

Where can I find these sales? Do you have a specific site?
    Hennie
    Ford Wildtrak 4x4
    ORRA Call Sign B165

www.naamsa.co.za (Sales stats)

Best figures does not always mean best bakkie!! But I understand what Justin is saying!
    How long are you planning on keeping the bakkie??

Hmmm, the figures are misleading ito 4x4's. It shows total sales, and obviously the more options in a range, means more sales...
    2009 Figures:

Hilux 2500 Ford 582 BT 50 392 Isuzu 1137 Triton 314 Colt 74 Hardbody 608 Navara 247 Defender 58
    Hennie
    Ford Wildtrak 4x4
    ORRA Call Sign B165

There is plenty of excellent books monthly on the market. Leisure Wheels etc. Start at CNA and buy a couple of books and read them. That will give you a good departure

Personally I wouldn't base my purchase on how many are sold per month!

Narrow you're choice down to say the 2 you like the most, and the see which one of the 2 dealers can give you the best deal! (price,service plan,optionals ect)

Quote Originally Posted by leonlieb View Post
    Isuzu - Older series had weak chassis.
    Have not seen your bakkie in a while, little Koos.
    Rainier Vermaak

'WHEN YOU PLAY THE GAME OF THRONES, YOU WIN OR YOU DIE.'

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast