Disco V8 Lifters replace

Default Disco V8 Lifters replace

Hi,

I want to repalce my Disco 2 V8's hydraulic lifters as i keep getting a klack klack noise when the car warms to operating temprature. I get a lot of different answers. Has any body done this recently? I'm not replacing my cam.

4ePikanini Guest

You can maybe try using the mitsu method of cleaning them out.

I don't know if the design is similar.

I have also found a way to make the mitsu V6 famous lifter tick quiet. There might be a similar upgrade available for the V8. Worth having a look around for such a lifter.

I have the big hole lifters and use it with delo 400 oil.

Quote Originally Posted by 4ePikanini View Post
    New style lifters on the left ( old style on the right )

and this oil
    Last edited by 4ePikanini; 2009/10/27 at 02:36 PM.

Might just need to be reshimmed, Cam might be worn out. Faulty lifters usualy dont stop clacking when hot.

Not sure if it's true, but someone once told me that if you use castrol GTX in your engine, it will cause the hydraulic lifters to start klacking.

Anybody with experience with this?
    2006 Disco 3 V8 HSE
    2005 BMW 320i

Proline, my uncle used to say to never ever put Gtx in a Volkswagen, because then the valves would become noisy, but my dad never believed him, so maybe its true!
    Nissan Qashqai
    Series 3 Landy
    Land Cruiser 4.2D work

4ePikanini Guest

Quote Originally Posted by proline View Post
    Not sure if it's true, but someone once told me that if you use castrol GTX in your engine, it will cause the hydraulic lifters to start klacking.

Anybody with experience with this?
    Castrol made my VW tick. Delo 400 made it silent.

philippus - I also have 1999 V8, same symptoms :-) Silent when started, starts ticking / klacking when hot. It's not always there - when idling it has tendency to go away, and then come back etc. My disco now has 195000km on the clock, running BP Vannellus C6 Classic oil (15w40, similar to Delo 400). The intention is to switch to Delo 400 at the next change. I also want to fit an oil pressure sender to my EMS2 monitoring unit - just to make sure there is enough pressure when the engine is hot.

Some people want to flush the engine, but I am a bit apprehensive that that will loosen up more carbon pieces etc. that will potentially block more oilways. My plan for the moment is to run these "mixed fleet" (i.e. suitable for petrol / diesel engines) oils as they supposedly have more detergents, but will clean the engine over a longer term. I have also acquired a set of sample bottles from wearcheck, and will soon send them a sample of my engine oil - just to have an idea of what is going on inside the engine!

Strangely enough... I once had the disco on ramps - only in the front - and the klack was quiet then. Might even be my cam shaft that is moving? Oh, and I have heard that if you replace hydraulic lifters you HAVE to replace the cam shaft. They wear together.
    2013 Amarok d/c TDI 103kw 4motion
    stuff I have in the classifieds | the story of my dad

Correct, replace cam and lifters at the same time. Maybe even a performance cam for torque, do the heads aswell while youre there. I dont believe in engine flush, just use a cheap oil and drain after 500kms.
    D2 V8. Pro Comp MX6 Shocks with Mikem Custom Progressive Coils. Wildcat Headers. 265/75/16 Hankook RT03's. FLI Audio. Kaiser Locker.

My D2 V8 did the same. It was much better with thinner oil. Use something like a 5w40 synthetic and see if it makes a difference. It will be pointless to change the lifters without doing the camshaft as both will be worn. In fact it is most likely the camshaft that is worn. It could also be the camshaft bushes. I would wait until overhaul time and then fix everything. The clacking is common on these engines and shouldn't cause any damage. Only if it is a slipped liner, then your'e stuffed anyway.
    Deon Viljoen
    Boyscout [U]
    2012 Land Rover Defender 90 2.2 Tdci S/W .

2005 D2 XS TD5 Auto sold at 189000km
    2003 D2 GS TD5 Auto sold at 165000km
    1999 D2 GS V8 Auto sold at 178000km