Fuel gauge problem: Full-Empty in 400 km

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Fuel gauge problem: Full-Empty in 400 km

Hi 2 All!

After a long search for a family 4x4 we ended up buying a 2006 KB 300 LX 4x4. I probably don't have to tell you how happy we are: What a great car! Great 4x4, spacious, comfortable, enough power and a fuel consumption of only 11.5l/km.

The only problem is the fuel gauge: it goes from full to empty in about 400 km (fuel light not on yet), and when I fill up, only approx. 40 liters go in. Shouldn't the KB have a 75 liter tank, or will the gauge stay at empty for another 35 liter?

Thanks in advance!

Joost (not Van der Westhuizen...)

The KB (Go Big) series has a very big reserve - approx 20 liters to ensure the engine does not run empty.

40 Liters is a bit low on the refeul side, so I'd recommend you have the stealers, or a dependable workshop, check out the tank fuel sender and float unit. It might need some adjustment.

On average, the 300 should take about 60 - 70 liters after the fuel light has come on.
    Jacques
    Semper Fi!! Serva me, servabo te

Hi I had both your shape Suzi & the current shape & both have the same 67l tank I had a similar problem with the older shape & very seldom filled more than about 55l.

The stealers explained it much the same as Dookie & were willing to take a look but wanted my car for a day, just never got around to giving it to them so I cant tell you the outcome but I did confirm the tank size!
    Justin (Aka GECKO)
    Isuzu KB300 Dteq D/C 4x4 +
    Member I.O.C.

If there's dirt i'll find it!!

I have the same model and the same problem. The most fuel I have put in is 51 liters, and thats after white knuckle driving with the fuel light on. The tank airlocks badly so if you give the van a good rock from side to side you will get another 5 liters or so in. This has to be done a few times which is a pain.
    2006 ISUZU D-Max DC 4x4 OME Shocks

1998 Discovery County V8i, 3DA1CF
    zr6zme

4ePikanini Guest

Quote Originally Posted by suedler View Post

.......... and a fuel consumption of only 11.5l/km.

you sure you don't have a leak in the tank........

I also had the shape you have currently, but done about 580 to 600 km before the fuel light goes on and then filled up with about 56 litres. My brother, however, had the single cab KB300 and his also showed empty very quickly. GM changed the fuel tank under warranty and the problem was sorted. Afterwards his fuel gauge had the same characteristics as mine.
    - Hennie Lacock

Isuzu KB300LX 4x4 Auto met allerhande gadgets

Default Tank Size Survey

SA 4x4 magazine is doing a survey on exactly this. Page 29 of June 2009 issue.

4x4, softroaders, SUV's. double cabs - petrol or diesel.

send them the following info:
    1. name
    2. contact details
    3.vehicle details (year, make & model)
    4. the most fuel you have ever been able to put in
    5. where the needle was prior to the refuel
    6. the size of teh fule tank as specified in teh owners manual

send it to editor@sa4x4.co.za they will do an article about it.
    V8 Cruiser & Comfort trailer
    The first 40 years of childhood are the toughest!

Default Solution...

Hi All!

Phoned the dealership: they will replace the tank sensor unit: I'll keep you updated.

Not used to my KB 300 D-Teq and the fuel gauge yet having taken delivery last Friday, but I think there is a reading problem in what the tank shows and the actual quantity of litres still in the tank.

At the pump on Sunday my needle showed a quarter or just below a quarter and I filled the tank to the top and even shook the bakkie to get out any airlocks and managed to get just under 45 litres into the tank. So given that the tank size is 76 litres I had used approximately 60% of the fuel instead of 75% as indicated by the needle. So at the quarter tank reading there was approximately still 30 litres left in the tank.
    At 10.3Km to a litre consumption which is what I measured, that is quite a bit of Km's I could still possibly travel.
    The salesman did also mention that the reserve light comes on when there is still 20 litres left in the tank.
    Last edited by BTTB; 2009/08/18 at 11:22 AM.

If the gauge shows empty /reserve when there is 20l still in the tank, then @10.3km/l you can still travel 206km. By any stretch of the imagination this is inaccurate to the extent that the gauge is just extra deadweight in the vehicle. It is wrong and should be fixed. Simple as that. I would accept maybe 5% error. No more. Same goes for the speedo.
    Life starts
    where the comfort-zone ends.

I went down to my father's house on the Garden Route this past weekend which is a distance of 464Km from my place in Cape Town.
    Tank was full and shaken for air bubbles when I left.

Fuel needle showed as follows on my journey:
    3/4 tank at 145km travelled
    1/2 tank at 250km travelled
    1/4 tank at 400km travelled
    (I took extra special care to squint really well to view the needle more or less exactly over the 1/4 markings)

When I arrived at my destination I had travelled a total of 464Km. The needle now showing more or less half way between 1/4 and the Empty Line.
    I filled up the tank which took 43.7 litres, also shaking the cab for air bubbles.
    Given the fact that the tank holds 76 litres I had more than 30 litres of Diesel still left in the tank with the needle at this mark.
    Last edited by BTTB; 2009/08/25 at 11:28 PM.

My previous KB300 (2004 model) showed as follows:

3/4 - 150km
    1/2 - 280km
    1/4 - 440km
    Light came on at about 600km mark and then I filled up with about 55 litres.
    (Still have my old log book)
    Last edited by Sniper; 2009/08/26 at 07:55 AM.
    - Hennie Lacock

My KB300 TDi, D/C, 4x2, 2002 often gives me 800km before I need to refuel. Depending on driving stile, the light comes on at around 700 - 800km. Book says it has a 83litre capacity. The most I filled was 77.73litres on 822km. The longest I've traveled was 884km and then filled 71.9litres - that's 12.29km/l. No shaking to get air locks out. I have the bad habbit to keep up my log book with every filling. Average milage is aroung 11.5km/l.

Just filled up a few moments ago.
    Needle was just above the Empty mark and with a bit of shaking I got 48 litres into the tank. Which means there is still 28 litres in the tank given that the tank holds 76 litres according to the manual.

@Sniper.

What mileage you getting on your chipped D-Teq?

I have had my un-chipped 300 D-Teq for almost 2 weeks and so far I have everaged 10.6, 10,3 and 10km per litre. The last tank was not filled properly.

I'm getting on average about 9 to 9.5 km/l - just remember, it's an Automatic. When cruising at about 125 km/h on long distances I get about 10.5 km/h.

On the D-Teq, the fual gauge take about 50 - 60km to start dropping, and when it does start to drop, it drops quickly, you experience the same?
    - Hennie Lacock

Hi Sniper.

Those mileages I gave above were more or less long distance trips with a bit of town travelling in-between, done at the prevailing speed limit, one trip on the N7 from Cape Town past Clanwilliam and the other trip on the N2 from Cape Town to the Garden Route and back. I have a manual box.

I cannot get over the torque this vehicle has on hills and the cruise control is to die for. I set the speed up to do 120 or 100Km whatever the road signs indicated and it just eats the inclines as if they were not there. You look into the rear view mirror and see most of the other cars on the road falling back. I did Sir Lowry's Pass at 90km per hour on the cruise control and watched as I drove past the other traffic on the road. As I reached the summit of the pass I had to brake as I was certainly going too fast.
    First time in my life that I have had a vehicle with cruise control.

I experienced the same phenomena with the fuel gauge dropping quickly as you described. Thought it was my driving at first until I read either this forum or Isuzuoffroad. Proves it is very useful to share experiences and information.

Regards,
    BTTB.
    Last edited by BTTB; 2009/08/27 at 08:11 AM.

I have the 300 d-teq extended cab manual, my fuel readings are more or less the same.
    3/4=150km
    1/2=250km
    1/4=350km

The most fuel I have put in was 55l
    The most km per tank was 550km
    the fastest speed 188km/h according to gps
    best fuel consumption 12.8km/l

I really loves this bakkie, cruise control is a gem and ride quality macnificent.

Only problem is the relatively small fuel tank.

Hope this helps

Andre
    Isuzu KB300 D-teq auto 4x4 D/Cab
    1996 Nissan Patrol.........To be continued!!

Andre Thuynsma

The fuel tank is the same size (72 odd litre), they really have a large "reserve" though... I've heard stories of guys travelling more than a 100km after the light came on with no problem...

My gauge levels:

3/4 = 140km
    1/2 = 260km
    1/4 = 400km

Best consumption: just over 12 km/l on a trip to Kimberley.

BTTB, you must feel the torque after the chip... A full 460Nm of it!
    - Hennie Lacock

@Sniper

I will be chipping mine soon.
    Watch this space.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast