Mapungubwe: info please

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mapungubwe: info please

We're on our way to Mapungubwe next month, camping at Mazhou. Can anyone help with the following:
    - Found the coordinates for Mazhou from a previous thread & plotted the position; it seems to fall outside the National Park boundary to the west. Is this correct?
    - How far from the river is the campsite? (Can you see it?)
    - Which is the best gate to access the park, coming from Punda Maria via Messina?
    - Which is the better road to use leaving the Kruger; Punda Maria via Thohoyandou or Pafuri via Tshipise?
    - I see a dirt road going to the right halfway between Pafuri & Tshipise, which seems to follow the Limpopo river. What is this road like (condition for 4x4s & bushtrailers, scenic value, etc.)
    - Any other info re. birding & animal spots, good routes, etc would be highly appreciated!
    So, do you limit yourself to logic? And what about the beauties and glories of the unexplained?

We're on our way to Mapungubwe next month, camping at Mazhou. Can anyone help with the following:
    - Found the coordinates for Mazhou from a previous thread & plotted the position; it seems to fall outside the National Park boundary to the west. Is this correct?

The park has 2 lots of land. They are negotiating buying out the farms in between.

- How far from the river is the campsite? (Can you see it?)

Very close. No you can not see it. It is in a forest, on the river's edge. I would gues that the river is about 300-500m away.

- Which is the best gate to access the park, coming from Punda Maria via Messina?

You have got me. If you are coming from Punda Maria to Musina, you are coming out the park.

- Which is the better road to use leaving the Kruger; Punda Maria via Thohoyandou or Pafuri via Tshipise?

I prefer the Pafuri route, to Musina. The other has a helluva lot more traffic on.

- I see a dirt road going to the right halfway between Pafuri & Tshipise, which seems to follow the Limpopo river. What is this road like (condition for 4x4s & bushtrailers, scenic value, etc.)

Some of that road is the old road that was used in the old days to patrol the border and is acctually tarred. The most of this road has been swallowed up by the local farmers and is thus not open to general traffic. The other roads are all gravel and acctually in fairly good condition. No busses to wreck the road.

- Any other info re. birding & animal spots, good routes, etc would be highly appreciated!

We are going there this weekend and we always enjoy it. Lots to see and then don't be shy to explore. They have plenty signs up to say that you can't enter variuos areas, but they are listed on their own maps. So we are not scared to explore. Don't drive over the sign, but drive past it. You don't need a 4x4, but you do need the ground clearance. If it has rained and you are in a 4x2, just make sure that you don't get stuck in mud. Some nice sticky stuff around.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

Mapungubwe-1.gdb
    I have tried to upload some saved tracks for M in .gdb format. Compliments of Willie Solomon. Great place to camp.

Enjoy it.
    I might be a FOOL, but I am an OLD fool - from unknown.

[quote=Henris;274583]You have got me. If you are coming from Punda Maria to Musina, you are coming out the park.

What I meant was the entrance into Mapungubwe park coming from Musina. Are there more than one, and if so, which is the closest to Mazhou?

Thanks Henris for all the info, that's a lot of help!
    So, do you limit yourself to logic? And what about the beauties and glories of the unexplained?

Gerrie, refer to my attached mapsource info. Coming from Musina, on the tar road towards Pontdrif, you will have to check in to the park at the maingate. From there, you have two options. Take the right turn at the Den Staat turn off. Clearly signposted. Follow this gravel road until you get the posting, right, towards Mazhou. Or, continue on the tar road towards Pontdrif. Turn right at the T junction. When you see the border post at a distance, you will have to turn right onto the gravel road. After the second electric fencing, you will get the sign post left to Mazhou. This is the same gravel road at the Den Staat turn off I was refering to. But zoom in on this map, clearly marked. You have to report to the main gate first, and then continue to the campsite. They are quite a distance apart.

The foto of my Lux was on the Den Staat gravel road, close to Mazhou, in April 2008.

Good luck and enjoy.
    Last edited by Ockert123; 2009/03/12 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Info added

Mazhou is in the western section of Mapungubwe. Mapungubwe it is divided into 2 sections with a private piece of land inbetween. The campsite is very nice although some have complained about the ablutions. It is a small building with 2 showers and 2 toilets, no gents or ladies, and there are two basins outside. The ladies don't like that very much. I reckon it is a great camp, each site is demarcated and numbered, has a bin, electrical pint and a tap. You have to travel about 25 km along the Den staat gravel road (can be quite corrugated) and the main tar road from Mazhou to get to the eastern section which is the main section - I don't very much like that. It would be excellent if they could get the piece of land inbewteen, then it would be a fantastic park not just a nice park.

Both you guys are right.

Ablutions are fine for us.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

Ockert, I can't read the file (it says the file uses a subsequent file version). I have Mapsource topo version 1.5. What do I need?

Thanks Ockert, got it!

JB300LX Guest

We were up there last year in April. Not impressed though. The so called park is just getting started and there is not much to see in the western section. You need to drive back to the main section to get to the more scenic areas. There is no shop so you need to buy supplies in Musina or at the petrol station about 30km east of the main gate. I would only use this park as a one night stay over.

View some photos at http://www.4x4community.co.za/photop...00&ppuser=9348
    Last edited by JB300LX; 2009/03/14 at 09:34 PM.

Just come back from there.

We stayed in the tented camp. It is deteriorating. Tent stitching is giving. Poles are going rotten. Hides are colapsing. We will still go back there, but now is the wrong time. The grazing is taller than 1m. The mopanie is so dense, we didn't see 1 elephant.

Still enjoy the break though.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

[quote=Henris;275743]Just come back from there.

The grazing is taller than 1m. The mopanie is so dense, we didn't see 1 elephant.

I think after the rains throughout SA, this is a general problem everywhere there's bush & grass! 3 Reasons why we're still going there:
    - Never been there before, so I'll give it a chance
    - Paid half the money already!
    - We are birders, so any animals are a bonus, but not a must.
    Any other twitchers with suggestions to see some special LBJs?

If you are a birder, that place is heaven.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

Gerrie, glad you got it. Sorry, should have mentioned the issue of MS and the maps I used. Not always compatible.

We were at Mazhou during Dec 2007. Lots of rain lots of fun, and just enjoyed being there. Showered every night in hot water, used the ablution facilities daily, no problems. Supplies? Brought it from home, if something were forgotten, lived without it.

Great place, will visit again, only in April or June.

Regards.

Thanks Ockert, you've been a great help!
    I'm glad you're positive about going in April, that's when we'll be there.
    Maybe you can make a few recommendations regarding scenic spots, where to look out for what, etc.
    Also, is it malaria risk area?

Gerrie, you're welcome. Sorry about scenic spots. My BIL had leaking problems with his caravan, so we stayed most of the time at the park, gaurding the rain :-(

It is a malaria free area, no problem with that. The best would be to go back to the main gate and do exploration on that site. That is where the main attractions are. The area around the camp is good for wasting some time, and do some bird watching, nice vegetation though. You will have to go early in the mornings to the other side to give time to explore, as they are quite a distance apart.

Sorry, I won't be doing it this year, going to St Lucia to chill. But defenitely in the future.

Regards.

Default Mazhou

We have reservations to camp at Mazhou end June. Can anyone that has been there recently give an indication on the state of the campsite and ablutions? It was mentioned in an earlier post that it is deteriorating.
    Much appreciated.
    Frans
    2003 Prado VX 4.0 AT, Long-range tank, Dual Battery System, Frontrunner roofrack & drawer sytem
    1998 Hilux D/C 3000D
    1996 Land Rover 110 CSW 300 TDi (being revived)

Bosveld, that was for the tented camp.

The camp sites are still in very good nick. Ablutions as well.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

Default Campsites

Bosveld, some pics. Great place. Been there last year April, lots of rain, great fun. Even got stuck due to stupidity and had to be recovered.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ablutions.JPG 
Views:	202 
Size:	241.0 KB 
ID:	33367   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Campsite.JPG 
Views:	330 
Size:	263.9 KB 
ID:	33368   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Campsites.jpg 
Views:	537 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	33369  

Thumbs up What to see and do at Mapungubwe

We have been to Mapungubwe twice ( in the heat of summer) before the campsite at Mazhou was open. Stayed at Leokwe (the main camp with bungalows) and at Limpopo Forest Tented Camp (in the Western part of park near Mazhou).Both very nice.

This is not really the kind of park for people who cannot relax and take it easy, are only looking for the big 5 and don't even notice their surroundings. It is very much a (Transfrontier) park in the making and game is slowly re-establishing itself, as the park still has pockets of farmland surrounding it.

It is on the other hand spectacularly scenic, full of atmosphere and a birder's paradise. You can obtain a map showing all the major features, from the main gate where you have to check in and arrange activities with them.

There is plenty to do:
    As usual there are
    - game/night drives with SANParks staff
    - Guided tours of Mapungubwe hill and excavations (not
    accessible in your private capacity)
    - a 4x4 self drive route (permit and payment needed)
    to the West of the main park
    - Maloutswa hide near Mazhou
    - Scenic viewpoint of the confluence of the Limpopo and
    Shashe rivers, where RSA, Bots and Zim meet.
    - a lovely "treetop" walk through riverine vegetation to
    a hide overlooking the river.
    - both Leokwe and Limpopo Tented camp have
    swimming pools for their respective residents. Mazhou
    campers can probably swim at the tented camp.

Hope this helps!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast