Hilux / Fortuner problems

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hilux / Fortuner problems

Hi Guys

I know this is an ongoing subject but the more people talk about it, the more action we might get out of Toyota!!
    I notice that there is an upcoming program on Carte Blanche, by a lady with the name of Carol, and here below is the email that I sent her:

"
    I see in the 4x4 Forum that you are doing a program on Carte Blanche, with regard to the Fortuner.

I am afraid that the Fortunerís problems are only the tip of the iceberg! The stability problem and the road holding also pertains to the Toyota Hilux 4x4 3 litre Raider, which I own. I have only got 7000km on the clock, and already have had to replace the front suspension, due to the unbelievably bad road holding on gravel roads, which I travel 90% of my time. Toyota with all their excuses about tyre pressure etc. is a load of absolute nonsense!!
    The problem does not lie with the tyre pressures Ė all of us, here in Namibia, travel 2 bar and below, on gravel roads. This I have also verified, speaking to the dozens of owners.
    Before I did the change on the front suspension I made many many enquiries to the Toyota Agents here in Namibia, and owners of Hiluxs.
    A certain Mine in my area at the coast has had to replace all the front suspensions and tyres etc. on their Toyota Hilux vehicles.
    These changes are done by a Toyota Agent, and by other fitment centres who I have chatted to, who realise that there is an absolute major problem with the road holding and stability.

Why should we have to fork out all this money to make our new vehicles (which cost an absolute fortune) roadworthy!!!
    I believe this is the most serious case of negligence on the part of any motor manufacturer in South Africa.
    I feel that this matter should be reported to Toyota Japan and the management of Toyota South Africa should be fired, on the spot. This is a very very serious case of bad management.

I will support any person or organisation, financially, who would like to take Toyota to court, and I am sure that the majority of Toyota owners will feel the same as I do. I cannot believe that Toyota have not recalled every Fortuner and Raider in the country. Any other motor manufacturer anywhere else in the world would have done this.

I hope your input in the Carte Blanche program opens the eyes of the motor industry in South Africa, especially Toyota.

What I cannot believe that Toyota have not taken full cognisance of what is happening. There has been an article in every single Outdoor magazine and 4x4 magazine, in South Africa, for the last 12 months, and every month!!!

I feel that this is a travesty of injustice within the motor industry in South Africa, including Namibia.

I hope the above will help you and all Toyota Fortuner and Hilux owners. "

I see lately that Toyota are advertising their new Fortuner with all the changes. What's happened to the Hilux, I do not know!!!!

What are Toyota going to do with regard to all of us that have bought Fortuners and Hiluxs last year
    I will repeat that I do believe that the management of Toyota should be fired on the spot. This is nothing short of motor industry corruption!! I cannot believe it, that these gentlemen in the management of Toyota SA have not taken note of this.

If we dont get any joy out of Toyota SA, I think that the next step is an advertisement in Tokoyo's daily newspaper.

Regards
    TJS

I agree with you!.I drove my brother-in-law's brand new fortuner 4x4, as it came out of the showroom from Lydenburg Toyota and I found it unstable at 100km/hr on tar roads.He then found that the chassis was bent and was so skew, no one could fix it.The vehicle came out skew from the factory in Durban.The vehicle's "book of life" had a big red sticker in it, stating it failed to pass QA, but still pushed it into the market, hoping no one will find out.

He demanded a new vehicle but after months of fighting with Toyota, they only took the vehicle to panel beaters and they tried to pull the chassis straight.This is all Toyota did for him.My brother-in-law was not happy after this!.He still has his "skewe 7", he couldn't even sell it.

A similar thing happened to me, with Nissan, two years ago.I bought a year old, 2nd hand Hardbody 3.3l, v6, DC, 4x4 from Toits Nissan in Menlyn & i only found later, the chassis was bent due to an accident, wich they tried to hide.After months of fighting with them, i got a newer and similar vehicle from them after threatening them with the media.At least Nissan responded and made me happy by loosing R135 000 on replacing the damaged 4x4.They did ask me for a R15 000 payment toward the newer vehicle, seeing the loss they made on this deal, wich i paid,.. seeing that i got a newer and better vehicle.

The moral of the story, dont let these big manufacturers get a chance to do you in.Fight for what is right.

Ian

Std they might be a problem. I fitted 31" tyres and the road holding was 100%. Also remember its a lighter and faster vehicle with the new engines so its expected to a degree. Anyway thats why toyota has now fitted them with 265/70R16's basically 31".
    '16 Toyota Land Cruiser D/C v8
    '15 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4D

Default Fortuner Rolling Over

Quote Originally Posted by tjs View Post
    Hi Guys

I know this is an ongoing subject but the more people talk about it, the more action we might get out of Toyota!!
    I notice that there is an upcoming program on Carte Blanche, by a lady with the name of Carol, and here below is the email that I sent her:

"
    I see in the 4x4 Forum that you are doing a program on Carte Blanche, with regard to the Fortuner.

I am afraid that the Fortunerís problems are only the tip of the iceberg! The stability problem and the road holding also pertains to the Toyota Hilux 4x4 3 litre Raider, which I own. I have only got 7000km on the clock, and already have had to replace the front suspension, due to the unbelievably bad road holding on gravel roads, which I travel 90% of my time. Toyota with all their excuses about tyre pressure etc. is a load of absolute nonsense!!
    The problem does not lie with the tyre pressures Ė all of us, here in Namibia, travel 2 bar and below, on gravel roads. This I have also verified, speaking to the dozens of owners.
    Before I did the change on the front suspension I made many many enquiries to the Toyota Agents here in Namibia, and owners of Hiluxs.
    A certain Mine in my area at the coast has had to replace all the front suspensions and tyres etc. on their Toyota Hilux vehicles.
    These changes are done by a Toyota Agent, and by other fitment centres who I have chatted to, who realise that there is an absolute major problem with the road holding and stability.

Why should we have to fork out all this money to make our new vehicles (which cost an absolute fortune) roadworthy!!!
    I believe this is the most serious case of negligence on the part of any motor manufacturer in South Africa.
    I feel that this matter should be reported to Toyota Japan and the management of Toyota South Africa should be fired, on the spot. This is a very very serious case of bad management.

I will support any person or organisation, financially, who would like to take Toyota to court, and I am sure that the majority of Toyota owners will feel the same as I do. I cannot believe that Toyota have not recalled every Fortuner and Raider in the country. Any other motor manufacturer anywhere else in the world would have done this.

I hope your input in the Carte Blanche program opens the eyes of the motor industry in South Africa, especially Toyota.

What I cannot believe that Toyota have not taken full cognisance of what is happening. There has been an article in every single Outdoor magazine and 4x4 magazine, in South Africa, for the last 12 months, and every month!!!

I feel that this is a travesty of injustice within the motor industry in South Africa, including Namibia.

I hope the above will help you and all Toyota Fortuner and Hilux owners. "

I see lately that Toyota are advertising their new Fortuner with all the changes. What's happened to the Hilux, I do not know!!!!

What are Toyota going to do with regard to all of us that have bought Fortuners and Hiluxs last year
    I will repeat that I do believe that the management of Toyota should be fired on the spot. This is nothing short of motor industry corruption!! I cannot believe it, that these gentlemen in the management of Toyota SA have not taken note of this.

If we dont get any joy out of Toyota SA, I think that the next step is an advertisement in Tokoyo's daily newspaper.

Regards
    TJS
    My name is Willem Joubert, 0823755804.

I took my Fortuner to Toyota complaining about the stability problem without any success, last week my Fortuner roll over. I am 50 years old, this was my forst accident. I really suffered many a times while driving specifically when towing or when hitting a corrucated section of road. During this last trip I was doing 70km/h and without any warning the Fortuner start ossilating and in fractions of a second got out of hand and turned over. I could do absolute nothing. I beleive it is irresponsible of Toyota to leave this vehicle as is on the road. I drive a lot and never ever had the same problem with any other vehicle. I am willing to testify in any program/court case.

eric bovijn Guest

Willem, sorry to hear about this, but on this forum we try to be constructive so that other members are helped or learn from each other with the information that is posted.

So, give us some more details about your vehicle (model, year, mods,...) and about the roll over (where, loaded, road type, tyre pressure,.....)

Welcome to the forum Willem, sorry that it is under such sircumstances though.

I'm reading more and more about the issues drivers have experienced with the Fortuner with growing trepidation. I am currently weighing up the usual in the decision to purchase my current vehicle of choice namely the the Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 2010. I'm trying to identify any significant issues people are/have been experiencing with this model but have not been very successful. Would anybody be able to assist or point me in the direction of such information.

I'm currently driving a Suzuki Grand Vittara 2001 model which has always been a solid vehicle both offroad and onroad well definitely at speeds greater than 100km/h!

Thanks,

Juno as with all stories there is two sides to the Furtuner one as well.

Jip, I am not "overly impressed" with the way Toyota is handling the issue.

BUT - the last Fortuners are "sorted out".

The earlier Fortuners it seems that a set of OME shocks sorted the issue out.

Once sorted, the Fortuner is definately one of the best 4x4 SUV's out there.

I have had two friends in the last few months have accidents in their hilux bakkies (1 s/c and 1 d/c) and in both cases the airbags failed to deploy. In the d/c the seatbelt clasp next to the handbrake actually tore off.

Afterwards a few other guys took their vehicles in to be checked and all of them had faulty airbags

I would think it would be a good idea if you drive a hilux, just to be safe, go have your airbags tested.

Why on earth do you want to put yourself and your family at risk in a dangerous vehicle?

Sell the rubbish and move on. It is simply a vehicle, nothing more. A piece of steel. Justifying keeping it may just result in an unfortunate event.

Quote Originally Posted by Imkanyamba View Post
    I have had two friends in the last few months have accidents in their hilux bakkies (1 s/c and 1 d/c) and in both cases the airbags failed to deploy. In the d/c the seatbelt clasp next to the handbrake actually tore off.

Afterwards a few other guys took their vehicles in to be checked and all of them had faulty airbags

I would think it would be a good idea if you drive a hilux, just to be safe, go have your airbags tested.
    My collegue had a head-on collision in his Corsa bakkie. Bakkie was a write off - air bag did NOT deploy.

To date GM/Delta is yet to reply to his emails in this regard.

Point being - air bags not deploying is not only a Toyota thing.

Air bag is just another item, just like other items this also needs regular inspections.

eric bovijn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Air bag is just another item, just like other items this also needs regular inspections.

How can you do this? How can you test an airbag?

Airbags will only deploy under specific conditions, I don't know the conditions of the accidents you describe, but airbags will not always deploy even if you think it should have deployed.
    In regards to Toyota, they have an attitude that if you don't buy a car someone els will buy it, thus the shocking service.

There is no Flex like Jeep Flex!

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Airbags will only deploy under specific conditions, I don't know the conditions of the accidents you describe, but airbags will not always deploy even if you think it should have deployed.
    In regards to Toyota, they have an attitude that if you don't buy a car someone els will buy it, thus the shocking service.
    Some car manuals go into great depth to explain under what conditions an airbag will deploy. Dont expect the "front" airbags to deploy in a side impact accident, for instance.

Commander it is not only SOME Toyota outlets/staff that has this attitude. Still waiting to test drive a BT50, also still waiting for the quote from Colt ...... Had equally bad service from SOME Toyota outlets. Found three outlets that gave GOOD service, then took my business where I was "appreciated/ treated properly".

Point being that "bad service" is NOT only at certain Toyota outlets.

Both were head on frontal impacts.S/c +/-R90k damage, D/C driver flung out of car when seatbelt clasp failed, car is a write-off

Quote Originally Posted by Imkanyamba View Post
    Both were head on frontal impacts.S/c +/-R90k damage, D/C driver flung out of car when seatbelt clasp failed, car is a write-off
    My collegues accident was also a head-on accident, where the air bag should have deployed ....

my personal guess is that this is in reaction to what happened a few years back when too many air bags deployed prematurely. I think the activation is now set too far to "the other" side the prevent premature deployment. Guess we will never know for sure ...

Just a follow-up, did anyone have their airbags tested? We were considering buying a fortuner but definately leaning towards Pajero sport at the moment due to safety concerns.

A true airbag test is self destructive. An agent can only check the system, but not if it will actually deploy. That goes for any make of car.
    Still missing my 3.8V6 Pajero

Default Toyota Fortuner 3D Raised body

I'm looking at acquiring a 2008 Toyota Fortuner 3.0D 4D but am concerned about what I have been reading on this forum about stability issues. I'm sure where to turn to as I am a family guy with a young baby and wouldn't want to run into any problems. Any advice will be appreciated.

Jason

Have a word with Uys.

As far as I know it is just a case of decent shocks and decent tyres and the problem is solved.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast