VW Touareg -

Thread: VW Touareg -

Question VW Touareg -

Good day to all ,
    new to 4x4 and need your considered opinions.
    Would like to buy a Touareg 3.0TDI - found 2.Both, same price, same year with foll differences:
    option 1- air suspension ,no tow bar , nav system
    option 2- standard suspension,tow bar

Am concerned about air suspension when maintenance plan runs out. Also already have a Garmin hence nav system not really an extra for me.

which do you think is the better option knowing that do not intended to do heavy travelling (i.e. in to deep Africa) thinking on Namibia,Botswana,Zim(when they right themselves),Mocambique,Lesotho.

Thank you
    Josť

Do a search for Touareg on the forum, there's been some issues recently with water and air intakes, and repair bills of R400k+.

DASHCAMS AVAILABLE IN THE ONLINE SHOP!
    R1995.00 including courier delivery and Micro32gig SD card.
    EFT and Credit Card payments available.
    Click here to purchase.

Maybe you should reconsider. The Toureg's wading depth is a bit low. Lots of electronics that can give you a headache, should it get wet. Nobody, north of the Limpopo that can help you should you need help. Personally I am a LC fan. Can get a nice LC for the same money.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE

4ePajero Guest

Angry

Please keep this on-topic.

• He did NOT ask for opinions on his choice of vehicle (a Touareg)
    • He did ask on opinions on the choice between two examples
    • He did NOT ask for suggestions about alternative vehicles (why is that always a LC? )

Default VW Touareg

Hi JosŤ,

Your decision should rather be based on your personal requirements, more than anything else. If you are going to tow something on you trips, you obviously need a tow bar. An aftermarket fitment is on the expensive side but it is recommended that you have it done by a VW dealer as the electric wiring has to be integrated into the ESP system. The air suspension has some great advantages, not only off-road but on the road as well. The 300mm ground clearance of the air suspension allows you to go where others need to think twice. On the standard suspension the wading depth is 500mm and 580mm with air suspension. If you stay within these limits, you have nothing to fear. It is always a risk to take a technologically advanced vehicle like this into Africa, but by taking the right precautions in advance, you can make sure it does not turn into a nightmare if you break down. Anyway, all cars can break down. I traveled across Africa (from PTA to Beira to Swakopmund and back) in a R5 with ease and a lot more comfort that the other seven vehicles in the convoy with no serious technical hitches.

Best of luck with your choice!

Quote Originally Posted by jbq View Post
    do not intended to do heavy travelling
    In other words only overlanding..........there is i.m.h.o. enough groundclearance with the standard suspension and if the Tiguan can do Sani an Mabalingwe, then the Touareg is more than capable with standard suspension to do overlanding. If your family requires more packing space then the towbar will come in handy. Whatever the vehicle, know it's capabilities and restrictions as facts and stay within the limits.
    Enjoy.....
    Andre ZR6AGA
    2009 VW Tiguan 1.4 TSI Field & Track

Wish to thank everyone for their input.

Go for the air suspension version to give you the extra height/clearance when needed. Aftermarket towbars are available locally at sensible prices and can be fitted by places like LA Sport and 4x4 Megaworld who will sort out the potential wiring problems. As far as iIknow the air suspension is not generally a problem animal. Mine is ok after 57000km.

Quattro
    2005 Touareg V10
    2006 BMW M5
    1996 Disco 1, 4.6l, R. Rover transfer case,ARB lockers front and rear, etc etc
    2005 Oryx
    2007 Noble Ferrari P4 replica
    2013 High Spec TRD Toyota 86

If looking at Bots. you can't go wrong with air suspension. My 2.5Tdi has 190k km on and it (air susp.) is still fine