Gloria might have to go.... - Page 2




Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    United States of Cape Town
    Age
    37
    Posts
    9,146
    Thanked: 1859

    Default Re: Gloria might have to go....

    Quote Originally Posted by Oppers View Post
    Hahaha... nope. He's busy repairing an old Beetle. It should be done/running by the end of the year, if all goes well.

    He absolutely loves the bakkie. What 17 yr old petrolkop guy won't love a freeflowed 4lit V6? He doesn't want to hear a word of letting it go, yet he's also not exactly at the top of his class at the moment. So, hoping to land a job paying well enough for him to afford the bakkie is a pipe dream... And I can't see him using it and not be able to keep it serviced and repaired as need be.

    Nope, it will be the death of us both.
    So wat is die eintlik?

    'n "I love my bakkie" thread

    Think carefully. Selling a perfectly running vehicle has made many people regret it later. Me including.

    One more thing. Never ever underestimate the value of driving Dad's bakkie...
    Daily drive: 2017 Volkswagen cross up!
    Weekend toy: 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    Namibia platkar: 2013 Toyota Fortuner 2.5VNT RB
    Farm donkey: 2002 Toyota Hilux 3.0DE 4x4


  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohanSlabbert For This Useful Post:


  3. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Worcester
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,279
    Thanked: 940

    Default Re: Gloria might have to go....

    Quote Originally Posted by JohanSlabbert View Post
    So wat is die eintlik?

    'n "I love my bakkie" thread
    You're not helping...



    Quote Originally Posted by JohanSlabbert View Post
    One more thing. Never ever underestimate the value of driving Dad's bakkie...
    I hear you. I would also have loved to inherit my dad's Ranchero. I had to get over it... and today I realize it would have been the worst thing out had he given it to me.

    Nope. He needs to learn to crawl before he can run. On his own two feet.

    Quote Originally Posted by JohanSlabbert View Post
    Think carefully. Selling a perfectly running vehicle has made many people regret it later. Me including.
    I'm thinking carefully... have been mulling this over for some time. Have even considered selling the Jeep (even if just for a very short time). Careful consideration brought me to the point that I'm asking advice here.

    And, I'm very careful not to be one of those okes who have already made up their mind, asks advice, and then argues with anyone who differs from his made up mind.

    I really have not decided yet.

    BUT.

    I'm going up to Jhb for a conference in two weeks time. Fabfender has a nice little car there that I am looking at. If we can strike a deal I would want to pick up the car then.... Thus making up my mind is becoming more urgent.
    André Opperman
    Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can - there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did. Sarah Caldwell.

    "Boerbok" - 98 Jeep XJ 4lit auto
    "Gloria" - 04 Ranger D/C 4lit auto

  4. #23

    Default Gloria might have to go....

    Quote Originally Posted by Oppers View Post
    You're not helping...





    I hear you. I would also have loved to inherit my dad's Ranchero. I had to get over it... and today I realize it would have been the worst thing out had he given it to me.

    Nope. He needs to learn to crawl before he can run. On his own two feet.



    I'm thinking carefully... have been mulling this over for some time. Have even considered selling the Jeep (even if just for a very short time). Careful consideration brought me to the point that I'm asking advice here.

    And, I'm very careful not to be one of those okes who have already made up their mind, asks advice, and then argues with anyone who differs from his made up mind.

    I really have not decided yet.

    BUT.

    I'm going up to Jhb for a conference in two weeks time. Fabfender has a nice little car there that I am looking at. If we can strike a deal I would want to pick up the car then.... Thus making up my mind is becoming more urgent.
    I think you’ve answered your own question. Just need to finalise your price and make peace with your emotions.
    Last edited by Therackermann; 2018/06/13 at 08:08 PM.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Therackermann For This Useful Post:


  6. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mosselbaai
    Age
    32
    Posts
    6,318
    Thanked: 335

    Default Re: Gloria might have to go....

    Don’t even think about selling the XJ!!! Sacrilege to even mention it
    Tjiep Softroadertjie
    Toy Rollover

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeanvn For This Useful Post:


  8. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    United States of Cape Town
    Age
    37
    Posts
    9,146
    Thanked: 1859

    Default Re: Gloria might have to go....

    Quote Originally Posted by Therackermann View Post
    I think you’ve answered your own question. Just need to finalise your price and make peace with your emotions.
    Indeed it seems the mind is made up, this was just a sales pitch to placate the heart
    Daily drive: 2017 Volkswagen cross up!
    Weekend toy: 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    Namibia platkar: 2013 Toyota Fortuner 2.5VNT RB
    Farm donkey: 2002 Toyota Hilux 3.0DE 4x4


  9. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Worcester
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,279
    Thanked: 940

    Default Re: Gloria might have to go....

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanvn View Post
    Don’t even think about selling the XJ!!! Sacrilege to even mention it
    No worries, They'll probably one day will have to pry the XJ's keys from my cold and lifeless hands...

    Quote Originally Posted by JohanSlabbert View Post
    Indeed it seems the mind is made up, this was just a sales pitch to placate the heart
    Eish. I wish I was as sure...
    André Opperman
    Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can - there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did. Sarah Caldwell.

    "Boerbok" - 98 Jeep XJ 4lit auto
    "Gloria" - 04 Ranger D/C 4lit auto

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Oppers For This Useful Post:


  11. #27

    Default Re: Gloria might have to go....

    Quote Originally Posted by Oppers View Post
    No worries, They'll probably one day will have to pry the XJ's keys from my cold and lifeless hands...



    Eish. I wish I was as sure...
    If you have thought this through without rushing then your gut feel will be correct.

  12. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putfontein, Benoni
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,622
    Thanked: 991

    Default Re: Gloria might have to go....

    At the end of the day it is just a car. If it makes financial sense now why cost yourself money for sentiment. Buy the runabout you need now - save the insurance and whatever is associated with the ranger. If you need another DC some years down the line you could possibly just buy one again.
    As much as one gets attached to a car sentiment don't make financial sense.
    You know already what you need to do.
    Audi S6 2008 - v10 Quattro
    Audi A6 Avant - 2005 - 3l TDi Quattro
    Audi Q5 - 2009 - 3l TDI Qauttro
    Audi 90 Coupe - 1995 - 2.8l V6 quattro
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDi Awd
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephan van Tonder For This Useful Post:


  14. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Worcester
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,279
    Thanked: 940

    Default Re: Gloria might have to go....

    Quote Originally Posted by Therackermann View Post
    If you have thought this through without rushing then your gut feel will be correct.
    Ai, head and heart are already in a tussle ... and now you come donner 'gut feel' into the equation!



    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan van Tonder View Post
    At the end of the day it is just a car. If it makes financial sense now why cost yourself money for sentiment. Buy the runabout you need now - save the insurance and whatever is associated with the ranger. If you need another DC some years down the line you could possibly just buy one again.
    As much as one gets attached to a car sentiment don't make financial sense.
    You know already what you need to do.
    I hear you, and so far that's what I was thinking as well.... except. The idea of selling one off now and buying another C/cab down the line is fraught with risks. I won't be buying new. I know what I have, I don't know what I'll get. And, I'll end up paying a LOT more for a decent D/C then. Dunno if the saving that a little runabout will give will come even near that difference in price.... and in the mean time I'll be without the D/C. In this scenario I might as well hang on to what I've got. From a financial point of view.

    Thing is... I'm planning on retiring in 4 years. MED (Mad Englishman's Daughter) aka wife, will carry on working 'til she's 85, and then some, I'm sure. But, she works from her laptop, wherever she is, and we can easily take a week's break to toodle of somewhere if we so wish. What if we decide to go to the kalahari (we both love it!), or KNP, or Addo... Then I'd like the comfort and space of the bakkie. I don't think we'll do it with the Jeep.

    So, had a long talk with MED... again... last night. And this morning. And I'm even less sure of anything than I was for weeks.

    But, I'm following up on a totally different avenue today... I'll keep you good folks posted. Thanks for all the opinions. It DOES sink in, and it does help one think straight.
    André Opperman
    Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can - there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did. Sarah Caldwell.

    "Boerbok" - 98 Jeep XJ 4lit auto
    "Gloria" - 04 Ranger D/C 4lit auto

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Stellenbosch
    Age
    62
    Posts
    3,464
    Thanked: 261

    Default Re: Gloria might have to go....

    "As much as one gets attached to a car sentiment don't make financial sense."

    Well then thats why I dont have money in the bank.
    I was measuring the big window and outside wall of the lounge the other day and unfortunately the wifey saw me and demanded to know what the freckles Im doing because I think she already knew the answer.
    I had to drop my plans to buy and park a 911 in the lounge because of divorce threats etc.
    What Im saying is some pleasures in life dont go hand in hand with financial sense.
    Last edited by Damdan; 2018/06/14 at 09:33 AM.
    If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right. SJ

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damdan For This Useful Post:


  17. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,355
    Thanked: 73

    Default Re: Gloria might have to go....

    Andre

    EK het so rukkie terug my Cruiser verkoop. Grootendeels omdat ons hom nie genoeg gebruik het nie. Die dag toe die koper na hom kom kyk het hy n pap wiel gehad en sy battery was afgeloop. Net daar besluit dit was lankal tyd. Dit help nie om die bakkie te hou vir what if nie, voertuie is volop en as dinge verander kan jy weer een kry. EK het dit nou met my pa se cruiser ook gesien - voertuie staan en breek.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Wicd For This Useful Post:


  19. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Putfontein, Benoni
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,622
    Thanked: 991

    Default Re: Gloria might have to go....

    Damdan - I am also constantly broke. The cars in my signature is what I currently own. Not a historic list. But at the end of the day they are just cars and I regularly sell or change some of them at least.
    Some stay longer and may never be sold - some are continually traded.
    Audi S6 2008 - v10 Quattro
    Audi A6 Avant - 2005 - 3l TDi Quattro
    Audi Q5 - 2009 - 3l TDI Qauttro
    Audi 90 Coupe - 1995 - 2.8l V6 quattro
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDi Awd
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

  20. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Worcester
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,279
    Thanked: 940

    Default Re: Gloria might have to go....

    Quote Originally Posted by Oppers View Post
    But, I'm following up on a totally different avenue today... I'll keep you good folks posted. Thanks for all the opinions. It DOES sink in, and it does help one think straight.

    So OK, we have a winner...

    ... or at the very least an impasse for now.

    What brought this whole thing about, is the running expenses of my Jeep being used as a daily runner. And getting a small runaround would have had us have two 4 lit auto 4x4's parked under an awning. And that just doesn't make sense!

    We found a solution (I think...). I've just ordered a battery powered clip-on trike for my wheelchair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5vrYOcLqtA&t=32s

    I will use this to work and back every day, weather permitting, except on days that I need to go do things like buy dogfood, etc. Those days I'll still use the Jeep, and smile probably more than usual driving Boerbok!

    For now, Gloria is staying right where she is. For the time being to be used as needed, as in the past. And peace in the home has been restored. Although, the general feeling is still uneasy for the fact that I did consider getting rid of her...

    Again, thanks for all the input. Fun-tastic to get such different perspectives. Believe it or not, it helps!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trike 1.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	491883   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trike 2.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	491884  
    André Opperman
    Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can - there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did. Sarah Caldwell.

    "Boerbok" - 98 Jeep XJ 4lit auto
    "Gloria" - 04 Ranger D/C 4lit auto

  21. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,764
    Thanked: 1076

    Default Re: Gloria might have to go....

    Quote Originally Posted by Oppers View Post
    So OK, we have a winner...

    ... or at the very least an impasse for now.

    What brought this whole thing about, is the running expenses of my Jeep being used as a daily runner. And getting a small runaround would have had us have two 4 lit auto 4x4's parked under an awning. And that just doesn't make sense!

    We found a solution (I think...). I've just ordered a battery powered clip-on trike for my wheelchair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5vrYOcLqtA&t=32s

    I will use this to work and back every day, weather permitting, except on days that I need to go do things like buy dogfood, etc. Those days I'll still use the Jeep, and smile probably more than usual driving Boerbok!

    For now, Gloria is staying right where she is. For the time being to be used as needed, as in the past. And peace in the home has been restored. Although, the general feeling is still uneasy for the fact that I did consider getting rid of her...

    Again, thanks for all the input. Fun-tastic to get such different perspectives. Believe it or not, it helps!
    That looks neat!

    If I may, where did you order this from?
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

  22. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Worcester
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,279
    Thanked: 940

    Default Re: Gloria might have to go....

    Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    That looks neat!

    If I may, where did you order this from?
    From CE Mobility, Maitland, CT. Note. it doesn't fit to all types of wheelchairs. It needs to be a rigid frame type. Luckily, all mine are.

    André Opperman
    Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can - there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did. Sarah Caldwell.

    "Boerbok" - 98 Jeep XJ 4lit auto
    "Gloria" - 04 Ranger D/C 4lit auto

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Oppers For This Useful Post:


  24. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Grabouw
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,386
    Thanked: 73

    Default Re: Gloria might have to go....

    And André, I take it that the wheelchair will be fitted with Goodyear AT's?

  25. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Worcester
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,279
    Thanked: 940

    Default Re: Gloria might have to go....

    Quote Originally Posted by BarnieH View Post
    And André, I take it that the wheelchair will be fitted with Goodyear AT's?
    Naaaah, it's my city slicker chair... Wrangler RTSA's.

    My knobblies on my 'hooligan' chair get's Khumo MT's!

    André Opperman
    Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can - there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did. Sarah Caldwell.

    "Boerbok" - 98 Jeep XJ 4lit auto
    "Gloria" - 04 Ranger D/C 4lit auto

  26. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Cape Winelands
    Age
    39
    Posts
    687
    Thanked: 157

    Default Re: Gloria might have to go....

    Glad you decided to keep that V6, definitely one of those worth more to keep than to sell.
    Mine has got almost twice the mileage of yours (then again mileage is much of much-ness on those engines)

    Will probably keep it until its worth less then a Barrel of crude oil
    2004 Ranger 4000 V6 Auto (Weekender & Heavy loads)
    2011 BMW X1 Auto (My Mommy-Wagon)
    2011 CashCow 1.6 (Swambo)

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamakazi For This Useful Post:


  28. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pinetown
    Age
    69
    Posts
    1,673
    Thanked: 556

    Default Re: Gloria might have to go....

    Quote Originally Posted by Oppers View Post
    Is that a firm offer...?





    In two years time he will not be able to afford the license and insurance, never mind the fuel costs...

    I absolutely loved my dad's Ranchero bakkie. I had to see him sell it and get a 1600 Cortina. I didn't die from it.

    Nope, I cannot hang onto this for a teenagers distant future 'wants'... (not even 'needs').
    I actually cried when I was forced by logical processes of thought and consideration of all factors to sell MY Ford Ranchero a few years back.
    As sad as it was - IT WAS the right decision.

    Empathy!
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

  29. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Worcester
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,279
    Thanked: 940

    Default Re: Gloria might have to go....

    Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazi View Post
    Glad you decided to keep that V6, definitely one of those worth more to keep than to sell.
    Mine has got almost twice the mileage of yours (then again mileage is much of much-ness on those engines)
    Agreed. Which is also the reason why I scoffed at the notion that I had already made up my mind... My head and my heart just couldn't meet up on this. I'm jut glad I found a workable solution. For the time being, at least.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    I actually cried when I was forced by logical processes of thought and consideration of all factors to sell MY Ford Ranchero a few years back.
    As sad as it was - IT WAS the right decision.
    You keep telling yourself that.... It lessens the pain, I'm told.

    André Opperman
    Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can - there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did. Sarah Caldwell.

    "Boerbok" - 98 Jeep XJ 4lit auto
    "Gloria" - 04 Ranger D/C 4lit auto

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Oppers For This Useful Post:


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •