Gloria might have to go....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Gloria might have to go....

OK, i need some advice, please. I might have to sell my Ranger. And it's not a thought that pleases me...

Please note, I didn't post this in the Ford section as I want wider input than from just the Ford fans. And yes, it's probably just another 'How much is my bakkie worth?' type of thread. Please bear with me.

In steps Gloria, the 2004 Ford Ranger 4lit auto D/cab. We use her ONLY for towing the boat, or camping trailer, whichever is applicable, when we go on holiday, or for weekend breakaways. Every once in a while I will just use her for a day trip if it involves gravel. The rest of the time she's parked under an awning at home.

As such it's now got less than 180K km on the clock, with no issues. She runs like a dream, and pulls like a freight train. Loads of packing space, vey handy when you have 3 or 4 people, a wheelchair, and a fridge to cart along. Insurance is cheap, so the fuel price doesn't really bother too much... but she's not frugal. Plenty horses that needs to be fed when you spur them a bit. She has a huge auxiliary fuel tank, giving me a range of over 1000km when towing my trailer, and a 2nd battery in the loadbin (albeit purely a parallel connection and not with a battery monitoring system - have been using it like such since 200.

So why would I want to part with her...?

I have a 20 year old, smile-generating, 4lit auto Jeep XJ as daily drive, weekend toy, and for boat launching in our local dam. The wife has a Mini Countryman auto. So, for any trips that we both go, we use her car. Up to now, it's been working well for us...

but...

• My son is in G11 - pretty soon he'll be out the house and not going on holiday with us any longer.
    • As my wife is a travel agent we are getting more and more options of cheaper accommodation, and have literally not gone camping for about 3 years.
    • If we do tow something for holidays, it's a RIB which is light enough to be towed with the Mini. Although, I like to launch with the Jeep. Same with the maybe once a year weekend camping with the trailer.... Whichever, it's sorted.
    • The current petrol price (and it's not going to get better imvho) and general running costs of a Jeep on 31" MT's is prohibitive for a daily drive - even though I don't travel far to work.

Now, if I can get a small 2nd hand runabout for daily use, that will get me better than 12-15 km/lit, it makes financial sense to rather get that and only use the Jeep as needed. However, there is no way that I can justify having TWO 4lit petrol 4x4's parked under the awning, and two other cars for daily use.

So, as sad as it will be for the family (and my wife and son doesn't even want to speak to me at the moment!) I have to consider letting her go...

How does one put a price to this??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030434.jpg 
Views:	564 
Size:	523.9 KB 
ID:	491697   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Namibia 2007 047.jpg 
Views:	549 
Size:	330.1 KB 
ID:	491698  
    André Opperman
    Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can - there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did. Sarah Caldwell.

"Boerbok" - 98 Jeep XJ 4lit auto
    "Gloria" - 04 Ranger D/C 4lit auto

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Oppers For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Gloria might have to go....

120k, done

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rustie For This Useful Post:

Ja well your laaitie is going to hate you for this in two years time.
    If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right. SJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rustie View Post
    120k, done
    Is that a firm offer...?

Quote Originally Posted by Damdan View Post
    Ja well your laaitie is going to hate you for this in two years time.
    In two years time he will not be able to afford the license and insurance, never mind the fuel costs...

I absolutely loved my dad's Ranchero bakkie. I had to see him sell it and get a 1600 Cortina. I didn't die from it.

Nope, I cannot hang onto this for a teenagers distant future 'wants'... (not even 'needs').
    André Opperman
    Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can - there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did. Sarah Caldwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Oppers View Post
    Is that a firm offer...?

One can live the dream - you asked about the value, not what I am willing to pay.
    That is prob closer to 60k.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rustie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rustie View Post
    One can live the dream - you asked about the value, not what I am willing to pay.
    That is prob closer to 60k.
    OK, I'm not going to BS myself... In the current financial climate I won't expect near R120K. But, it would seem sacrilege to give her away for R70K as well.
    André Opperman

Andre I've been through this once or twice and everybody's circumstances differ. But I think you should think carefully about this (you probably have done so already), but is it really worth selling?

In a year or two you will probably kick yourself. I mean, what can you do with 70 or 80K these days? That bakkie's intrinsic value to you is so much more.

But again, everybody's circumstances differ
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right!

Oppies, mooi bakkie!!

Vir wat dit werd is- laat weet as jy 'n solid aanbod in jou kop het asb, ek sal ook belangstel om in te koop.
    "Everything You See, I Owe to Spaghetti" (Sophia Loren)

OK, i need some advice, please. I might have to sell my Ranger. And it's not a thought that pleases me...

Please note, I didn't post this in the Ford section as I want wider input than from just the Ford fans. And yes, it's probably just another 'How much is my bakkie worth?' type of thread. Please bear with me.

In steps Gloria, the 2004 Ford Ranger 4lit auto D/cab. We use her ONLY for towing the boat, or camping trailer, whichever is applicable, when we go on holiday, or for weekend breakaways. Every once in a while I will just use her for a day trip if it involves gravel. The rest of the time she's parked under an awning at home.

As such it's now got less than 180K km on the clock, with no issues. She runs like a dream, and pulls like a freight train. Loads of packing space, vey handy when you have 3 or 4 people, a wheelchair, and a fridge to cart along. Insurance is cheap, so the fuel price doesn't really bother too much... but she's not frugal. Plenty horses that needs to be fed when you spur them a bit. She has a huge auxiliary fuel tank, giving me a range of over 1000km when towing my trailer, and a 2nd battery in the loadbin (albeit purely a parallel connection and not with a battery monitoring system - have been using it like such since 200.

So why would I want to part with her...?

I have a 20 year old, smile-generating, 4lit auto Jeep XJ as daily drive, weekend toy, and for boat launching in our local dam. The wife has a Mini Countryman auto. So, for any trips that we both go, we use her car. Up to now, it's been working well for us...

but...

• My son is in G11 - pretty soon he'll be out the house and not going on holiday with us any longer.
    • As my wife is a travel agent we are getting more and more options of cheaper accommodation, and have literally not gone camping for about 3 years.
    • If we do tow something for holidays, it's a RIB which is light enough to be towed with the Mini. Although, I like to launch with the Jeep. Same with the maybe once a year weekend camping with the trailer.... Whichever, it's sorted.
    • The current petrol price (and it's not going to get better imvho) and general running costs of a Jeep on 31" MT's is prohibitive for a daily drive - even though I don't travel far to work.

Now, if I can get a small 2nd hand runabout for daily use, that will get me better than 12-15 km/lit, it makes financial sense to rather get that and only use the Jeep as needed. However, there is no way that I can justify having TWO 4lit petrol 4x4's parked under the awning, and two other cars for daily use.

So, as sad as it will be for the family (and my wife and son doesn't even want to speak to me at the moment!) I have to consider letting her go...

How does one put a price to this??
    Would I be totally out of line in making an opinion of my view point of the statement in blue above.

"Dream on Sucker"

After Gr11 comes Gr12, then varsity, then life. Maybe by Thirty something, then oops Grandkids. All of a sudden we now need that 4X4 DC again.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2018/06/13 at 05:04 PM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4
    The nice thing about going the extra mile - the road is never congested.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

O ja - as ek jy was hou ek die DC en verkoop die Jeep. Die Jeep is baie nice and all that, maar jy gaan die gemak en lae km en reliability van die DC nie kan vervang met dit wat jy gaan kry vir hom nie.

My honest but somewhat biased opinion.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Would I be totally out of line in making an opinion of my view point of the statement in blue above.

"Dream on Sucker"

After Gr11 comes Gr12, then varsity, then life. Maybe by Thirty something, then oops Grandkids. All of a sudden we now need that 4X4 DC again.
    LUISTER na die Ou Mense

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    LUISTER na die Ou Mense
    Quite so, exactly, lets wait for die Ou Mense to respond and see what they say.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD Yeasu Ft-897D
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4
    The nice thing about going the extra mile - the road is never congested.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Since you are getting cheaper accommodation and not camping, if it was me Id sell the trailer and Jeep based on the limited information given.

Giving that bakkie away may be regretful.

O ja - as ek jy was hou ek die DC en verkoop die Jeep. Die Jeep is baie nice and all that, maar jy gaan die gemak en lae km en reliability van die DC nie kan vervang met dit wat jy gaan kry vir hom nie.

Jy het nog nie die Jeep gesien nie....

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

Oppies, mooi bakkie!!

Vir wat dit werd is- laat weet as jy 'n solid aanbod in jou kop het asb, ek sal ook belangstel om in te koop.
    Eish... En ek wou JOU juis verpes om 'n goeie prys te bepaal.

Ek het werklik nie 'n vaste idee nie. My hart sę R100K, my kop sę R60K... Iewers tussen-in sou seker realisties wees?

This thread is exactly about honest opinions. Thanks!

Problem is, I do things with the Jeep that I won't do with the bakkie. EVER! And we've all but stopped doing the things We used to do with the bakkie. Sure, we'll still use it from time to time... But it will go to ruin standing.

I also have an emotional attachment to the Jeep. Short version of a long soppy story... It got me back out on top of mountains, and into the Kalhari sand, and Baviaans, the Hell, and many other inaccessible places, shortly after I became a paraplegic. I've had the Jeep since new, now 20 yrs. Getting rid of it is not on the cards.
    André Opperman

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Oppers For This Useful Post:

As jy 'n Prius koop dan noem ek jou weer Oom...

Nie 'n dreigement nie, dis 'n belofte
    Daily drive: 2017 Volkswagen cross up!
    Weekend toy: 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    Namibia platkar: 2013 Toyota Fortuner 2.5VNT RB
    Farm donkey: 2002 Toyota Hilux 3.0DE 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Therackermann View Post
    Since you are getting cheaper accommodation and not camping, if it was me Id sell the trailer and Jeep based on the limited information given.

Giving that bakkie away may be regretful.
    I realize this too...

The trailer is another story. It's home-made jobby, built by my late FIL and myself (lots of my own handiwork in there) specifically so I can set it up myself, and sleep inside.

I will still use it for camping at Reenen's place or Dwarsberg. But I can tow it there with the Jeep. In fact I can tow it places I won't go with the bakkie... And have done so in the past.

Also, my son sometimes have some sleep-overs and then they use it. In our back yard.
    André Opperman

Quote Originally Posted by JohanSlabbert View Post
    As jy 'n Prius koop dan noem ek jou weer Oom...

Nie 'n dreigement nie, dis 'n belofte
    ... en ek sal jou toelaat ook, maar... 'Oom' is nie goed genoeg nie. 'Oom Boks' sal beter werk.

André Opperman

... en ek sal jou toelaat ook, maar... 'Oom' is nie goed genoeg nie. 'Oom Boks' sal beter werk.

Deal

Let me get this straight...

You want to sell the DC and get something small and cheap to run that your son can use when he leaves school?
    Daily drive: 2017 Volkswagen cross up!
    Weekend toy: 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    Namibia platkar: 2013 Toyota Fortuner 2.5VNT RB
    Farm donkey: 2002 Toyota Hilux 3.0DE 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by JohanSlabbert View Post
    Deal

Let me get this straight...

You want to sell the DC and get something small and cheap to run that your son can use when he leaves school?
    Hahaha... nope. He's busy repairing an old Beetle. It should be done/running by the end of the year, if all goes well.

He absolutely loves the bakkie. What 17 yr old petrolkop guy won't love a freeflowed 4lit V6? He doesn't want to hear a word of letting it go, yet he's also not exactly at the top of his class at the moment. So, hoping to land a job paying well enough for him to afford the bakkie is a pipe dream... And I can't see him using it and not be able to keep it serviced and repaired as need be.

Nope, it will be the death of us both.
    André Opperman

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast