Newbie looking for advice please

Question Newbie looking for advice please

Hi all,

We are leaving on 23 June for our first overlanding trip ever. We will be doing Bots, Zambia and Zimbabwe. Please could seasoned travellers advise me on the following:

The travel time from Audi Camp in Maun to Makgadikgadi Adventure Camp (near Kabul Island).

Travel time from Makgadikgadi Adventure Camp to Kazangula Border

Tips for crossing the Kazangula Ferry to Zambia. I understand they don't take ZAR, is there an ATM at the border?

We are not planning on taking any food with - only stocking up locally - is this a viable option?

I do look forward to your responses - thanks in advance

Default Re: Newbie looking for advice please

Quote Originally Posted by Christylou View Post
    Hi all,

We are leaving on 23 June for our first overlanding trip ever. We will be doing Bots, Zambia and Zimbabwe. Please could seasoned travellers advise me on the following:

The travel time from Audi Camp in Maun to Makgadikgadi Adventure Camp (near Kabul Island).

Travel time from Makgadikgadi Adventure Camp to Kazangula Border

Tips for crossing the Kazangula Ferry to Zambia. I understand they don't take ZAR, is there an ATM at the border?

We are not planning on taking any food with - only stocking up locally - is this a viable option?

I do look forward to your responses - thanks in advance
    Hi, I can't help with the first couple of questions, but:

Kazungula - you'll need US dollars for the fees on the Zambian side. General advice is not to use a runner - I disagree, this is one border post where using a runner really pays off, as it is chaotic. They generally take a commission on changing US dollars to kwacha as their fee. Allow two hours for the crossing and formalities. On the Botswana side, the truck queue is often a couple of kilometres long - just drive straight to the front and join the light vehicle queue.

Food wise, we always travel with a box or two of basics - tinned goods, sauces, spices, herbs, tea, coffee etc, biscuits and so on. Most of the major centres now have either a Choppies (Botswana), Spar or Shoprite where you can stock up on goods. The Spar in Livingstone had much better meat than the Shoprite, last time I was there. Lusaka has Pick n Pay, Woolies etc.

Money wise, if you only have Mastercard or Cirrus, you will need to use banks in the major centres, as a lot of the smaller towns tend to only have Visa ATMs. Standard Chartered ATMs in Zambia accept Mastercard.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2018/06/13 at 01:49 PM.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

The travel time from Audi Camp in Maun to Makgadikgadi Adventure Camp (near Kabul Island).= 1 hour 30 Minutes drive

Travel time from Makgadikgadi Adventure Camp to Kazangula Border= almost 4 hours 30 minutes drive

Tips for crossing the Kazangula Ferry to Zambia. I understand they don't take ZAR, is there an ATM at the border?, ATM is there at Kasane and Kazungula mall.

There are lot of supermarkets in Kasane, Shoprite, choppies, Spar..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to skmorotsi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by skmorotsi View Post
    The travel time from Audi Camp in Maun to Makgadikgadi Adventure Camp (near Kabul Island).= 1 hour 30 Minutes drive

Travel time from Makgadikgadi Adventure Camp to Kazangula Border= almost 4 hours 30 minutes drive

Tips for crossing the Kazangula Ferry to Zambia. I understand they don't take ZAR, is there an ATM at the border?, ATM is there at Kasane and Kazungula mall.

There are lot of supermarkets in Kasane, Shoprite, choppies, Spar..
    Thanks for the info. Iím just questioning the travel time from Audi to Makgadikgadi Camp. 1h30min seems very little. But Iíd be very happy if itís right!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Hi, I can't help with the first couple of questions, but:

Kazungula - you'll need US dollars for the fees on the Zambian side. General advice is not to use a runner - I disagree, this is one border post where using a runner really pays off, as it is chaotic. They generally take a commission on changing US dollars to kwacha as their fee. Allow two hours for the crossing and formalities. On the Botswana side, the truck queue is often a couple of kilometres long - just drive straight to the front and join the light vehicle queue.

Food wise, we always travel with a box or two of basics - tinned goods, sauces, spices, herbs, tea, coffee etc, biscuits and so on. Most of the major centres now have either a Choppies (Botswana), Spar or Shoprite where you can stock up on goods. The Spar in Livingstone had much better meat than the Shoprite, last time I was there. Lusaka has Pick n Pay, Woolies etc.

Money wise, if you only have Mastercard or Cirrus, you will need to use banks in the major centres, as a lot of the smaller towns tend to only have Visa ATMs. Standard Chartered ATMs in Zambia accept Mastercard.

Enjoy!
    So helpful. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Christylou View Post
    Thanks for the info. Iím just questioning the travel time from Audi to Makgadikgadi Camp. 1h30min seems very little. But Iíd be very happy if itís right!
    I would agree with you. Maun to Gweta is 200 kms on a very poor potholed route and that could take a bit of 2 hours. Gweta to Makgadikgadi Adventure Camp atleast an hour to an hour and half. I would put it at 3 and half...to 4 hours.

VW AMAROK BITURBO TDI 4MOTION

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post: