Charging a third battery from national luna porta box

Default Charging a third battery from national luna porta box

Can anyone tell me if its possible to charge an third battery straight from the National Luna portable battery pack? I have the portable back in my vehicle at all times and was wondering if I could charge an additional portable deep cycle battery directly from this? The third battery is only used now and again on longer trips and is not always in the vehicle. Could I connect this battery to the grey output plug (Brad Harrison) on the National Luna box and charge both batteries when the vehicle is running?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to zimcruiser For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Charging a third battery from national luna porta box

Quote Originally Posted by zimcruiser View Post
    Can anyone tell me if its possible to charge an third battery straight from the National Luna portable battery pack? I have the portable back in my vehicle at all times and was wondering if I could charge an additional portable deep cycle battery directly from this? The third battery is only used now and again on longer trips and is not always in the vehicle. Could I connect this battery to the grey output plug (Brad Harrison) on the National Luna box and charge both batteries when the vehicle is running?
    Yes you can, I had exactly this set up on the Gen 2 Pajero. I had battery boxes on brackets on each wheel arch. I made up a thick cable with welding cable and BH plugs, one battery was in an NL box and the other was in Snowmaster box. Worked very well except for it was not happy being charged with an intelligent charger when both were linked together.

Worked fine on an intelligent charger individually and also worked fine when linked with a normal charger and with solar through the controller. It was a nice to have for the over landing trips. Sadly only room for one battery in the Gen 3.

I also made up a BH connection from the charger and used the grey plug to charge before trips.
    Last edited by Stranger; 2018/06/13 at 01:39 PM.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Yes you can, I had exactly this set up on the Gen 2 Pajero. I had battery boxes on brackets on each wheel arch. I made up a thick cable with welding cable and BH plugs, one battery was in an NL box and the other was in Snowmaster box. Worked very well except for it was not happy being charged with an intelligent charger when both were linked together.

Worked fine on an intelligent charger individually and also worked fine when linked with a normal charger and with solar through the controller. It was a nice to have for the over landing trips. Sadly only room for one battery in the Gen 3.

I also made up a BH connection from the charger and used the grey plug to charge before trips.

Thank you Stranger, so just to confirm it worked well via the alternator to Nat Luna and then 3rd battery, it just didn't like it when connected to intelligent charger?

Quote Originally Posted by zimcruiser View Post
    Thank you Stranger, so just to confirm it worked well via the alternator to Nat Luna and then 3rd battery, it just didn't like it when connected to intelligent charger?
    It was fine off the alternator, basically saw it as one big battery. In the time that the system was in and working, the batteries would equalize but they were two 105 Amp high cycles. The big benefit if anything that I experienced was that neither battery depleted very far and topped up much easier than a depleted deep cycle.

I think the intelligent charger was trying to go into desulphation mode and got confused.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R