Which generator? - Page 4




Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 61 to 71 of 71
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    47
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: Which generator?

    Quote Originally Posted by FrancoisJS View Post
    Have you considered the Generac Gas Generator? We had the 50 Hz Automatic Standby Generac installed some 3 years ago. Keeps the whole house going when Eskom fails again (and again ... and again). Bundu supplies them. Some of the advatages are ... made in the USA, no fuel contamination, service interval of 2 years/200 hours, self testing (to keep battery charged), at least 10 db more quiet than petrol or diesel, etc. When we had it installed, we received 3 X 19 Kg gas cylinders with it and have not replaced them yet. It's clean, better than the Chinese alternative, and more cost effective.
    Great choice. We supply, install & service these as well; get them in 8, 10 & 13 kVA (single phase); price & noise very similar to diesel but more efficient, better for environment, 3 year warrantee and top shelve quality.
    Fanie Swart
    2011 Land Rover Discovery HSE
    1998 Land Rover Defender 110 2.8i
    2016 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2.2L
    Ex: 2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2.5 (L39)
    Ex: 2009 Tuna D4D (donated to criminal)
    Ex: 2008 Toyota RAV T180 DCAT (Europe spec)

    Facta non verba

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    47
    Posts
    17
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: Which generator?

    Quote Originally Posted by BenBotha View Post
    I have a Grip 7.5 Kva from builders-probably the same as the Makro, Game etc Chinese brands-for 5 years. One problem, fixed at the Lawnmovers shop. Battery replaced last month. Runnning on one phase of my house, if required. Had it for 5 years. used regularly druring loadshedding and all so recently. For the price-no complaints! Served me well! Wifes is hapyy-happy wife is happy life.
    Ben
    The GRIP is better quality than the cheapies at Makro, etc. GRIP, PowerMaster & Gentech all from same factory, just different color & "tupperware". EG alternator is copper, etc. Talon also great. We are service centre for all of these in Pta area - if you need serviced.
    Fanie Swart
    2011 Land Rover Discovery HSE
    1998 Land Rover Defender 110 2.8i
    2016 Ford Ranger SuperCab 2.2L
    Ex: 2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2.5 (L39)
    Ex: 2009 Tuna D4D (donated to criminal)
    Ex: 2008 Toyota RAV T180 DCAT (Europe spec)

    Facta non verba

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    east london
    Age
    53
    Posts
    75
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Which generator

    Quote Originally Posted by Beast777 View Post
    Never thought I would buy a generator, or even consider one. Now, after I got a Watsapp message from an Eskom employee, saying that they are forced to down tools, since this morning, and Eskom not allowing anyone or anything(such as spares) into their plants, and have already switched off power generating units at all their plants, has gotten me very concerned and serious about a generator(installed). But I am now confused by the other threads, as to which type, brand, size, etc I should go for. Please help me decide taking the following in to concideration:

    Swambo and myself, two gardeners, one domestic, and 2 toddlers, live on the premises.
    I have a gas stove and oven. The domestic/gardeners cottage also have a gas stove.
    I need to run 3 X 200L geysers simultaneously.
    All lights are LED, except for the 4 garages that have fluorescent lights.
    Swimming pool runs off one of those robotic cleaners, not sure huw much it pulls.
    Under floor heating is run off a 300L heat pump.
    The Estate we live in are not fond of generators, and even less about the noise and so-called pollution they create.(This might change once the situation turns to crisis level)
    Over and above what has been mentioned, also the electrical/electronic appliances used daily.
    And then, perhaps something that needs power, which I forgot about.

    Any feedback will be appreciated!
    I would go for a 20Kva Diesel generator. You have a lot of " high " power drawing units : geyser =3Kw x 3, heat pump = +- 3Kw . And on start up your heat pump will draw 2.9 x 3Kw = 8.7Kw. Remember any pump on start up draws approximately 2.9 times it's Kw rating.Some of the silent running diesel gen sets are so quiet that from 5m away you hardly notice them.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vanderbijlpark
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,694
    Thanked: 112

    Default Re: Which generator?

    Put the house / property on a power consumption diet.
    ZS6VL


  5. #65
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,236
    Thanked: 863

    Default Re: Which generator?

    Fluffy to be honest I love Honda products as well

    However paying R30,000.00 for a 2Kva generator is not within allot of peoples price range.

    This looks better though
    http://mainsu.co.za/shop/kipor/ig-2600/
    Last edited by Veneficus; 2018/06/21 at 02:24 PM.
    2007 Subaru Forester 2.5XT
    Forester nutter here so watch out

    Please remember that I think I'm funny
    (most people don't agree)
    thus take 90% of what I post with 2 pinches of salt

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    United States of Cape Town
    Age
    37
    Posts
    9,146
    Thanked: 1859

    Default Re: Which generator?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fanie S View Post
    The GRIP is better quality than the cheapies at Makro, etc. GRIP, PowerMaster & Gentech all from same factory, just different color & "tupperware". EG alternator is copper, etc. Talon also great. We are service centre for all of these in Pta area - if you need serviced.
    I have a little 1KVA Grip genny that I use wherever and it gets lent out to friends and generally not cared for. Bought it 4 years ago for so cheap I don't even remember what I paid, but it just runs and runs. Barely bigger than a milk crate, light enough to carry around, a bit noisy but it works!
    Daily drive: 2017 Volkswagen cross up!
    Weekend toy: 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    Namibia platkar: 2013 Toyota Fortuner 2.5VNT RB
    Farm donkey: 2002 Toyota Hilux 3.0DE 4x4


  7. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Boksburg
    Age
    48
    Posts
    169
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: Which generator?

    My Briggs & Stratton 5KVA is going strong for 12 years now, never let me down.
    Alles loop reg, altyd reg!!

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    East London
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Which generator?

    This thread caught my attention, because I was also looking for a generator. This does not seem to be such a simple exercise, however - and I must say a lot of guys on this made a lot of sense to me with remarks such as "don't waste your money on a generator"; "scalpel sometimes better than a sledgehammer" etc etc.

    The problem is that each person have different requirements, and then of course Eskom's reliability varies depending on where you live. I've come to a few (maybe flawed) conclusions:-

    1. For most people, going completely off the grid simply is not economically sensible. Eskom is still the cheapest by far, and will likely remain so for a while.
    2. Most people though, do need backup power for at least a few hours - as the anti-generator poster rightly pointed out.
    3. If you require a seamless changeover between Eskom and your backup system (I do), then some sort of decent storage device (Batteries; UPS system; Super capacitors; Tesla's Power Wall ... or whatever new technology!) is an absolute MUST - even if you just need 5 minutes time to power down sensitive equipment properly.

    Where this leaves me, is that I MUST have a decent battery system, which the average (modified sine) inverter setup is not. Personally, I need at least a 3Kva Pure Sine Online UPS. They are not that expensive, but they generally don't have a long run time.

    BUT: What do I do if I want to extend my time on the above?
    Seems I still need an inverter based battery system and/or a generator.
    Also seems to me that people who are truly in the know, fully informed, technically minded etc etc - understands all the pitfalls ... these people are difficult to find

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,348
    Thanked: 441

    Default Re: Which generator?

    I am selling a 25KVA diesel super silent kippor generator if you are interested. Single phase with auto switch over.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    East London
    Age
    59
    Posts
    2
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Which generator?

    Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    I am selling a 25KVA diesel super silent kippor generator if you are interested. Single phase with auto switch over.
    Thanks Stephen, but If I do eventually get a generator (over and above the required battery backup) the Honda 3Kva inverter type seems to be what I'll need. But I see them advertised at R30K, and that I do believe must be a rip-off of note!

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bosveldsig, Nylstroom/Modimolle
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,695
    Thanked: 125

    Default Re: Which generator?

    Quote Originally Posted by plcomp View Post
    This thread caught my attention, because I was also looking for a generator. This does not seem to be such a simple exercise, however - and I must say a lot of guys on this made a lot of sense to me with remarks such as "don't waste your money on a generator"; "scalpel sometimes better than a sledgehammer" etc etc.

    The problem is that each person have different requirements, and then of course Eskom's reliability varies depending on where you live. I've come to a few (maybe flawed) conclusions:-

    1. For most people, going completely off the grid simply is not economically sensible. Eskom is still the cheapest by far, and will likely remain so for a while.
    2. Most people though, do need backup power for at least a few hours - as the anti-generator poster rightly pointed out.
    3. If you require a seamless changeover between Eskom and your backup system (I do), then some sort of decent storage device (Batteries; UPS system; Super capacitors; Tesla's Power Wall ... or whatever new technology!) is an absolute MUST - even if you just need 5 minutes time to power down sensitive equipment properly.

    Where this leaves me, is that I MUST have a decent battery system, which the average (modified sine) inverter setup is not. Personally, I need at least a 3Kva Pure Sine Online UPS. They are not that expensive, but they generally don't have a long run time.

    BUT: What do I do if I want to extend my time on the above?
    Seems I still need an inverter based battery system and/or a generator.
    Also seems to me that people who are truly in the know, fully informed, technically minded etc etc - understands all the pitfalls ... these people are difficult to find
    Our solution was to have a 2.5 kVA Full Double conversion UPS with 4 x 105' batteries that power all electronics and the fridge.
    The UPS was bought as a secondhand unit and served by the agents.
    Has been going for the last 5 years no issues
    It runs approx 400 minutes before the batteries fade.
    It is a 24 V system and can be supplemented with 2 x 100 Watt PV and a MPPT controller (manual switch over)
    Still need to figure a way out to automate this.
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

    .

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •